Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

This is a Choose Your Own Adventure / collaborative story. It's going to be pretty open with what you can do, and I'm going to try to make each person have their own entity if possible with group decisions, you can't split the party. Someone will just pull the people running in a different direction back that is unless most people go running, then you will pull the rest of the group with you!

I'm going to try and keep the story moving at least once a day, and throw in at least one picture a day on weekdays. We all know there will be lapses but I'm hoping the fairly open nature will also allow for small talk and actions within a scene to play out even if the story isn't advancing. Or possibly even a scene change if the group seems pretty decided and someone else wants to give the narrative a go!

You went to a wild party last night and don't remember much other than you had a really good time. As you slowly come to you realize that you are in a tent. You aren't sure why you are even in a tent you swear this was just a house party. Oh well better see what everyone else is doing outside. Some breakfast sounds nice you seem as you recall getting sick after partying too hard last night. Oh now that you mention it maybe you did throw up behind a tree.

Oh, this is different. Just what did you take at that party? Everyone should probably stick together and ride whatever this is out, or if this is real safety in numbers!

A strange pig-goblin approaches the camp and you swear the leaves on the tree are laughing at you.

Suggestions that you in no way have to take:

Wave hello to the goblin see if it speaks English
Address the goblin with "Hello officer"
Open another tent and see if anyone else is seeing this

Suggestions that take it in a crazy new directions:

Climb the laughing tree
Attack the goblin
Smoke a bowl with the goblin

Write your own!
Remember if someone does something that's not going to change the scene they did it! You can react to that. You can take as many actions as you want as long as it's not getting too out of hand. I don't have too much of a plan for this and plan on it mostly being improvisation, so please contribute to the story however you want and it probably happened.

You can have a simple role and just suggest group moves
You can take a more active role and interact with party members

Any items are group property, the individual nature of posters is simply so there can be small interactions between scenes. If that part just makes it confusing we can shrink it down to a single thread controlled character. NPC interactions are "by the group" you can assume some nameless group member is doing the talking.

If someone say opens another tent and asks if someone else is seeing this you can be that person! "I see a wild boar in the middle of the woods what are you talking about?" or "HOLY poo poo is that a pig demon?!" or even "you find me smoking a bowl and I offer you the pipe". Please don't make me regret the freedom. If someone horribly abuses this I'll make rules for veto or something but that has too much effort and outside of an invasion from the other forums I don't think it'll happen but if it does just ignore it and it didn't happen.

I think we can all play nice without any formal rules. This thread just is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal

Manifisto winks at the pig-goblin thing
It takes a half step backwards and raises a solitary eyebrow wait he had eyebrows before? Maybe you hadn't noticed them yet. It barks "Rekshi ka?"

Goons shyly says "just what are you?"
It points to itself "Goroc" nodding its head "Goroc become me" he gestures to the general area "place from evil, no make sleep!"

He seems to understand English, but not very well, or at least not speak it well. It seems he said his people are called the Goroc, or maybe that was just his name? Also something about not sleeping and evil.

While this is happening Moon seems entranced by the tree and reaches towards the weird shaped leaves in the tree.
The yellow one exclaims "You may take but one" The green one continues "of me. But first..."

There is a deep rumble punctuated with a cough
Sloth has crawled under the tree and is forcefully ejected shortly after poking a head in
A deep bellowing voice slowly rumbles "Who wakes me"

The forest grows silent a few seconds later you hear the screech of birds as they all fly off leaving you in even more silence than a moment ago.
Goroc croaks "Do what now!?" It comes out as du'wa'tnaw. Rapidly waving its arms "humans come must" he drops the h in humans it sounds like 'oomons.

Luvcow is leaning against the tree enjoying a good laugh and making funny faces as Goroc when the ground starts to quaver it starts to break apart and crack. Moon is holding the yellow leaf as the tree starts to lift up plucking the leaf from the tree. The shaking stops for a moment, there is a deep roar it sounds like it is coming from beneath the ground. The entire forest seems to shake about.

The party has acquired a talking yellow leaf!
Everything is happening so fast, you woke up only a few minutes ago and you aren't even sure if this is real or not, but other people seem to be seeing the same thing so better roll with it.

In the confusion Goroc has started running away and seems to be gesturing you to follow. The rest of the camp seems to be waking up and opening tents. Someone cries to follow the pig-goblin. Another yells not to trust them. Yet another weakly stammers out that the tree appears to be lifting itself out of the ground. Does it have teeth?

The tree seems to be alive, or at least moving. Goroc, the pig-goblin has fled the scene and encouraged the group to follow some kind of decision has to be made. Deep down you realize this has to be real. One of the last birds in the area finally decides it's time to leave and almost flies into a tent.

Boring suggestions:
Attempt to communicate with the tree, it spoke better English than Goroc
Follow Goroc

Dumb ideas:
Burn the camp the down so you leave no trace
Go into the cracks and explore the underground.

write your own!

I should be able to expand upon things before a scene change if you want to take a quick look around while we wait for a few replies to move the scene. May or may not have time for images to go along with them until scene change.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 1, 2019

sig by owlhawk911

pixaal

Sloth goes into the open tent and finds a mason jar of dank and a bottle of vodka, the liquid level is hard to judge as it's somewhere in the middle of the label and there is a lot of shouting and confusion.

the party acquires a mason jar of dank!
the party acquires a bottle of Svekda!

It sounds like everyone wants to follow a bird outside, better get back outside
you also see a keg of beer but that looks too heavy to take, how did it get here?

we're probably going to be chasing a bird, get in any last minute actions or attempts to sway the party

sig by owlhawk911

pixaal

A small part of the ground starts chasing a bird completely ignore everything else while shouting for everyone else to hurry. Camp is abandoned and everyone sprints into the heavily wooded area.

During the jog Moon asks the yellow leaf how it is feeling. It replies "Oh ssssso nowssss you care about me? Well I am fine asssss long assss you keep me sssssafe"

After 40 minutes or so the the bird crosses a fast moving river. You don't believe you can cross without being swept away. You slowly take in your surroundings and just how strange this place is.

The bird barely misses running into some green skinned man(?) that is looking across the river to the side you are on. He doesn't seem to have noticed you what is he looking at? That's a pretty strange statue, he seems deep in thought. Wait are there heads on spikes near that statue? Are they even human? Did someone gouge out the eyes?

There is a strange humming sound it appears to be originating from a glowing circle in a patch of dirt by the river bank.

What does the party do?

sig by owlhawk911

pixaal

The group approaches the statue more or less as a whole. A few people head towards other areas of interest by the river.

Manifisto takes in the scene noticing the green skinned man is humming to himself while rummaging in his pockets, at least you hope that's what he's doing down there.

Moon has taken the leaf to the strange circle. Upon stepping on the patch of dirt the hair on your entire body feels like it is standing up. It feels a bit strange here almost as if the air has a slight charge. Slowly, carefully, moving towards the circle Moon taps the outer edge with a foot. It seems like a regular old stone circle. Upon questioning the leaf about the area it answers "I have lived asss part of the Sssstrider my entire life. Ssshe has ssslept most of my reccccent memoriesssss. I have not been ssssso far in ssssso long ssssso much hasssss changed".

Luvcow is a ball of excitement looking ready for adventure but seems hesitant to be the one to take action and asks if someone can attempt to remove the sword.

Sloth doesn't have a pipe but manages to find some rolling papers in a pocket. Opening the mason jar it smells earthy with hints of lavender and citrus. Picking out a nice nugget that looks easy to break up by hand since no one seems to have salvaged a grinder. The smell fills the the area with a strong scent.

Goons is out of line of sight of the man behind the statue carefully looking at every crack and detail while whispering "hello, I'm not here to hurt you".

The green man suddenly makes some sniffing sounds and shifts his gaze towards the smoke then seems to notice everyone all at once. "Never seen anyone else here, have you come to pay tribute to Lorel as well?" When he says Lorel he takes his left hand out of his pocket and makes a hand gesture with all his fingers pointing towards the sky except the middle one, which he points directly at the statue

Sloth moves to the sword gripping the hilt with both hands, it wont budge. After several minutes they reach down and attempt to use the guard for leverage when they notice that there is blade between the hilt and guard. The guard slides right past the hilt.

the party has acquired a jeweled sword guard

Moon, still at the circle waves a hand over the circle, the hand blurs but otherwise seems fine.

sig by owlhawk911

pixaal

"You know not of the Lady of Time?"

"Many have tried to break her hold so as to undo the past and forge the world a new. She was weakened and times flow has become..." He trails off as if in thought "messy since the attempt to burn her with dragon's fire"

His extended finger seems to glow slightly blue

"But surely you must already know that. So why have you really come to this holy place? What really brings you to the Stream of Time?"

pixaal fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 2, 2019

sig by owlhawk911

pixaal

The group brings the bird up and asks if he has any other information, perhaps about the meaning of life

He replies "I am but one keeper, if you intend only to pass by then so be. I am here to observe this disturbance in time at this Nexus of Lorel.
He takes his hand out of his pocket and lights a pipe you, aren't sure what's in it.
"Life is about order and structure. Things must happen the way they always have."

Luvcow peers into the river

"careful now if you fall in you'll get lost in time, you could end up anywhen, you don't want that"
he seems lost in thought might be what's in the pipe
"so what brings such a large group from the order this way in secret? I can smell that delightful smell from here, at least one of you has to be of the Order. If you can't say then be off, but stop playing dumb it's fooling no one".
Or perhaps he has just confused you for part of his group.

Sloth pries the end Sapphire and Amethyst out of the hilt guard from the sword to make a mouth piece and carb. The hilt is strangely hollow like it was intended for this. The sapphire fits perfectly into the other end to make the bottom of the bowl.

The Green Man nods with approval "Been a long time since I've seen one used that way".

The guard has been crafted into a jeweled pipe!
the party has acquired an amethyst

It tastes like dirt when you hit the pipe because it's full of dust and dirt there also appears to be some moss growing inside

Generic ideas:
Jump into the Stream of Time and see where it takes you
Hop on the circle and see if anything happens
Follow the river maybe there's something else interesting or a bridge, we just know the green guy would love it if you found a way to cross time.

sig by owlhawk911

pixaal

Luvcow dips their hands into the very flow of time they rapidly change age turning old and brittle, youthful and young, they appear tiny like that of a child then grow to adult sized again, they even turn to dust briefly. It feels strange like you have all the energy in the world one minute and crippling arthritis the next and suddenly perfectly fine again. Upon removal the hands return to roughly the same age they were. Strangely the hands are dry as if nothing happened. You aren't even sure the water felt wet.

The man gives you the strangest look, his eyes grow larger, which you would think is impossible since his entire eye seems to be a pupil.

"You really aren't part of the Order are you? And here I was running my mouth, can't be changing the timeline again now can I? I'll be in big trouble if I let you leave. Now what to do with you, what to do."

Lizard takes the jeweled pipe and places it near the mouth of the statue. It's open in a look of horror and more of a shelf than a mouth. The smoke fills the mouth chamber of the statue

his finger begins to glow really brightly suddenly everything else seems to dim as if the light from the surrounding area is being sucked in. His eyes start to glow. He suddenly bursts into laughter, it's more of a cackle to be honest.

sounds like he's come kind of time police and just hosed up and is trying to cover up his mess, and that mess is you!

Moon asks the Yellow, the leaf, about the circle.
"Hell if I know but it has to be a better idea than sticking around".

manifisto when everything dims looks up from studying the horned skull seeing if it can be made into a bong using the mouth for water and the eyes for down stem and mouth piece, it seems a bit gross but nothing else nearby seems to be suitable and sometimes you just need a bong.

I saw lizard's reply in my preview I fit it in the middle of some dialog that time probably passed during.
There is nothing important about that skull, but you can sure take it and make a bong out of it if you want but I'm pretty sure that's not what you wanted and if I just said that you'd have wanted to see what I came up with so there's the picture. For reference that flesh is a bit rotten and you're going to have to get it down to just bone before worrying about a down stem, the horn might be usable for that I guess. Kind of :black101:

sig by owlhawk911

pixaal

manifisto takes the blue horned skull off the spike and places it in the stream of time after several attempts it seems to age, which is an improvement over the time it started screaming in agony from not having a body, that was a bit frightening actually. The horn was easy enough to hollow out because you remember to pack medical supplies and there just happens to be a drill rated for bones! Score!

Oddly the skull-bong is bone dry, the river looks like it's made of water, but clearly it is not.

sloth attempts to clean the jeweled pipe in the river and it slips into the stream and is carried away. Still mourning the loss, the pipe hits Sloth in the back of the head. It appears to be the same only clean.

Moon steps onto the glowing circle and vanishes. The general consensus is this guy is about to kill everyone. Not wanting to split the group everyone runs towards the circle
The Green Man gives a look of horror and yells for you to stop.

Lizard gently kisses the statue of Lorel goodbye and follows.

When you step on the circle it feels like you are both completely alone and connected to everyone and everything in the entire universe at the same time. It's really a really strange feeling before you can start to reflect on how you can possibly feel both at the same time reality snaps back to normal. Well you feel normal. As normal as you can considering just yesterday you were at a house party on Earth in the year 2019. Your vision blurred momentarily when you stepped on the circle and your eyes adjust to the surroundings rather quickly. Your eyes are telling you this happened instantly, but you swear hours passed while you felt strange. Thinking too hard about it hurts so you decide to leave that for later and take in your new surroundings.

The first thing you notice is there doesn't appear to be a way back. You frantically search for another circle and spot a circle in the distance and can see the faint glow that may be others near it.

There is a giant sign welcoming you to this Town, it is, maybe was, called Pivot Dust, what a crappy name. Everything in town looks pretty run down and like it hasn't been used in decades. You see a damaged building, from the sign you think it was likely a bar. You see a cave with a track coming out of it, possibly a mine.

You notice someone has painted a green hand with a raised middle finger on the side of a barn.

There is a lake that looks to be a supply of fresh water, as long as you don't find it faintly tasting of duck

There's stuff I didn't mention in the description text, you can still interact with it, I want to see what people end up calling some of this stuff. I added more generic stuff since the party was very undecided on how to move to the next scene. If you go wondering off into something nearby that wont shift the focus the scene will expand instead of move, that wasn't really possible considering how that conversation went last time.

sig by owlhawk911

pixaal

Sorry for the lack of updates, a bunch of stuff happened this week, should have time next week. I just want to let everyone know I didn't abandon this, just been really busy but should be able to wrap up real life stuff this weekend.

sig by owlhawk911

pixaal

Well that took longer than originally expected to deal with real life but I now have the free time to do this again so let's get this moving sorry for the unplanned interruption. I'm aware no one cares about the delay but it still feels lovely to start something and stop the very next week.

Moon Asks Yellow about the green hand on the barn and if it's somehow related to the guy they just ditched.
Yellow replies They are the Order of Lorel, they aren't very open with what they do. Rumor says they make sure the timeline goes how it should. But how do they know what is supposed to happen though? Bunch of crazy time travels best avoided I say. Few encounter them and survive. I am unfamiliar with them marking anything they don't like people knowing they even exist. Very secretive, very dangerous.

Manifisto started to walk towards the "snail" It sure looks like one. The hard exterior seems to be a shell-like if not actually a shell. During the approach the creature screams. Maybe sing is a better word, it's hard to describe exactly what you are hearing. It's loud but not unpleasant.

Attempts to communicate are ignored but it keeps singing. Maybe it's trying to communicate, maybe it's calling for help.

Luvcow sniffs one of the flower. It's actually a small patch of flowers that looks like someone has been tending. They smell a bit like lavender with a hint of citrus.

Luvcow Takes one glance at the the massive gear it looks far to heavy to lift, it must be part of something massive or be purely decorative. It is covered in scratches and nicks. Nothing else nearby looks mechanical. The bar looks far more interesting right now so Luvcow wonders into the bar.

Sloth follows Luvcow into the bar and fumbles with the pipe trying to get it to light, darn thing seems to be a bit damp still.
It's pretty dark inside there's an upper floor and blocking any light from coming down from the hole in the ceiling. You bump into a few pieces of broken wood, you can't even identify if they were part of a chair, table, or otherwise it's pretty hard to make out any details maybe your eyes will adjust in a bit

Sloth manages to light to jeweled pipe and after exhaling the smoke seems to shimmer and swirl. It starts to glow and turn bright, real bright. Suddenly both notice a man standing in front of the green glowing smoke. Was he hiding before?

He says happily exclaims "Hi! I'm Franklin! Good to see other humans for once". His shirt looks way too big for him it's flopping around, so do his pants for that matter He seems to be waiting for a reply the silence stretches and becomes a bit uncomfortable. He keeps a poo poo eating grin on his face the entire time. At least you can make out some of the immediate area in front of you in the bar, it's still really dark behind him, nothing too interesting or unexpected in the room that you can see so far. Well other than this strange man,

pixaal fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 23, 2019

sig by owlhawk911

pixaal

Manifisto wraps the snail in their arms, the tone gets more shrill and it starts to side to side. The first thing you notice is it's a pretty hefty maybe 50-60 pounds. It retracts it's head like a turtle before thrusting it outward. It lifts slightly, mid air a pair of legs pop out of the holes on both sides of the shell and it stands? Maybe it's not related to snails at all.

It follows Manifisto into the Bar in silence until it reaches the door, where it starts the scream singing again
Manifisto has to yell to be heard over it then decides to join in. A few people start staring at the spectacle.

Sloth offers Franklin the pipe
Fanklin's eyes widen, "is that from my sword? What happened to my sword?" he shifts the weight on his feet "where are we anyway? This doesn't seem like camp, did we get Lorel?
He seems completely oblivious to the fact that there is fresh herb in the sword guard.

Moon attempts to cover Yellow's ears but there don't really appear to be any. Yellow seems indifferent to the cupped hands

The glowing smoke dissipates, Franklin says "boy it sure got dark quick!" and produces light somehow. You can now clearly see the stairs going up, the bar counter completely surrounds the stairs you can't see from this angle but you suspect there's a passage under the stairs between the 2 sections. You see a few bottles of booze and some drinking glasses, most of the hooks are empty. It looks like the place was already looted.

sig by owlhawk911

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal

Sloth finishes off what is left in the jeweled pipe, the smoke appears to be normal smoke and doesn't glow.
Franklin seems shocked when the lighter is raised to the sword guard and asks what you did to his sword.
Manifisto changes the topic by telling Franklin that his floppy shirt is awesome.
Franklin looks at his feet "Well this shirt was the captain's, you know, Rufus? Well my shirt was, I needed a new shirt, and he wasn't going to use it again." He slumps getting a closer view of his own feet "you know he was in the first group, leading the charge as always, no one came back from that, then we marched and it's a bit of a blur I remember getting right up to Lorel my sword at her throat and it just couldn't cut her." He straightens up a bit looking deeply in thought and a bit confused.
Manifisto asks if it's safe here to break the tension "Why would I know? I thought you'd know, didn't you bring me here after the battle?" Franklin replies, when there is no immediate reply he barrels on "Where is here anyway? You were at the battle weren't ya? Didn't think any other humans were left 'sides us, Lorel saw to that. We're alive, so we won, right?". He looks hopeful, but also ready to be disappointed.

Sloth meanwhile has hopped over the bar and is reaching for the top shelf. Finding 2 re-corked bottles of wine that smell like vinegar and an green bottle with red wax as an apparent label reading "FIRE" in what must pass for a brand around these parts. It smells like whiskey.

Sloth takes the bottle up stairs, it's lit from the hole in the roof, it's pretty much a single large room for drunk people to pass out in by the looks of it there are blankets that look rather scratchy laid out on the floor around the room. There are also a few doors to private rooms which each contain a single bed. One of the doors looks like it was bashed in. The place looks like it's been untouched in months or even years. It doesn't look like anyone left anything valuable.

Moon follows Sloth behind the bar but instead of going upstairs looks under the stairs.
There is a safe under the stairs that looks much too heavy to move, the dial goes from 0 to 99 it looks like someone else may have already attempted to force their way inside unsuccessfully.

bonus half finished establishing shot of the stairs (I was going to try and get it in the view of the bar while still showing what is under there as it would be more interesting but the angle is extremely difficult to get right and have enough room so I abandoned it shortly into it. I think it gives a better idea of where exactly this is.

it's literally under the stairs, not a basement.

sig by owlhawk911