Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Literally any poll before the debates are going to be noise. One of the good things the DNC changed from the last roll-around is that there's going to be more debates (12) and the debates will be earlier (First one is June 26th), which should help to winnow the primary field by a decent amount (and provide the other candidates plenty of opportunities to dunk on Biden and/or for Biden to dunk on himself) before the first primary ballot is cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

FAUXTON posted:

Do any of the polled candidates not qualify for the debates?

I imagine you'll have a bunch of the nobodies like Bennett bailing out if they can't even make it to a debate.

According to this, the currently qualified Democratic candidates are Biden, Booker, Buttigieg, Castro, Delaney, Gillibrand, Harris, Hickenlooper, Inslee, Klobuchar, O'Rourke, Ryan, Sanders, Swalwell, Warren, and Yang. Getting a debate spot requires a candidate to either have 65K individual donations or to get above whole numbers (Above 1%) in at least three qualified polls, which currently disqualifies Williamson, Messam, Moulton, and Gravel.

As for how the debates themselves will be conducted, it looks like they'll actually have two debates on back-to-back nights, with up to 20 candidates getting randomly sorted into one of the two. This will undoubtedly go poorly if/when certain big-ticket candidates aren't sorted together—I am certain, for instance, that Bernie supporters will cry foul (With justification) if Biden appears on the first night and Bernie the second.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

EBB posted:

Are you suggesting a milquetoast status-quo candidate is still preferable to what's in office right now? They're similar, one just has a facade that doesn't curdle milk.

I mean it would be nice if our cabinet officials weren't dedicated to the wholesale destruction of the agencies they're appointed to.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

Romney death rally was real

We really all did die in 2012, we just haven't realized it yet.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1125396053598060544?s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz0xULQIaSU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm just basking in the idea that Ollie North wasn't corrupt and unethical enough for the NRA's liking.

IIRC he's also extremely corrupt and unethical (In his role at the NRA, not just in general obviously), and the conflict is mostly over how much everyone involved should be allowed to steal.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/wpjenna/status/1127751996650479617?s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Guess you're getting your wish.

quote:

He drove away from the hospital and into the adjacent neighborhood, passing the first home, with a collapsed front porch and windows blown out by a tornado. “I sat with that lady as she died four years ago, and now this house just rots away,” he said. He turned onto another block and drove past a bungalow where the owner had died of lung cancer at 58. Next was a suspected drug overdose. Next was a midnight heart attack in the bathroom, and Graham had checked for a pulse and then stayed to pray with the new widower until his children came from Wichita.

His cellphone rang, and he pulled over to answer it. “Hey, bud,” he said, and he listened as a patient described a pain that was rising from his stomach to his chest. “Trust me. I know history on you,” he said. “This medication can help, but it might make your depression worse. Make sure you go up there and see the counselors, all right?”

He hung up and continued down the block, past a house that had belonged to a young married couple. “I might have delivered both of them,” Graham said, and he’d remained their doctor until a few years earlier, when the husband shot and killed his wife in a domestic dispute and police shot the husband. They rushed him to Fairfax Community in critical condition, and Graham had been trying to drain fluid from his heart when he died on the operating table.

He rolled down his window and turned onto Main Street, where redbud trees bloomed outside abandoned storefronts, and his cellphone rang again. Another patient. More chronic pain. “I’ll call in a refill at the pharmacy,” he said. “Remember now, those old boys can’t just trust anybody these days. Make sure to bring your identification.”

He’d been offered easier jobs in Tulsa for better pay, but he’d grown up in another poor town with too few doctors, learning medicine as a teenager by administering his mother’s dialysis. Rural Oklahoma was down to one doctor for every 1,700 people, compared with one for every 400 nationally, and Graham had tried to compensate by opening a clinic downtown and treating uninsured patients free each month at a local church. He’d seen more than 10,000 patients over the course of his career, starting each new appointment with the same rule. “I can’t help unless you give me the truth,” Graham told his patients, and their truths were often depression, addiction, obesity, diabetes or lung disease.

He drove past the cemetery, where he’d buried his mother after treating her for kidney failure and his stepfather after treating him for lung cancer. He continued down a hill and idled for a minute in front of his ex-wife’s home, newly empty after she died three weeks earlier of unknown causes at age 62.

“I’m so sick of watching people die,” he said. “I keep trying to get out from under death, and I can’t do it. Who’s going to take care of these people?”

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I can get behind that. They voted themselves into this position by pulling the GOP lever for the past 60 years.

I hope to be remote enough when I die that a hospital would be worthless to me. Or dead already from canned sunshine. Going to a VA hospital is like a death sentence anyhow for more than anything worse than a paper cut, and you'll probably still get an infection.

About one in three people who depend on that hospital voted for Hillary, give or take.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Problem predates Hilldog. This is chickens coming home to roost.

Like that town in Texas that would rather be all about the Jesus and not vaccinate their kids when something easily preventable inevitably strikes.

These idiots:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npYocgDntyY

You're suggesting that everyone who lives in those areas supports those policies and deserve to die because of it. That's both inaccurate and reprehensible.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Fallom posted:

These people are actively trying to kill my family (and would have killed my wife by now) so I don’t quite see it as red vs blue.

I don't either, but I also don't see the voters as the real enemy, because belief doesn't come from nowhere. The ultimate enemy are those with the money, power, and spite to promote policies and beliefs that benefit the few to the detriment of the many. Lusting for the death of poor, deluded assholes just rubs me the wrong way when so many of them are just as much victims as anyone else.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 13, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

facialimpediment posted:

:siren: STOP EVERYTHING YOU'RE DOING, THE NAVY SKY PENIS WRITERS HAD THEIR VOICES RECORDED :siren:

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2019/05/14/the-navys-probe-into-sky-penis/

these men are nothing less than American Heroes :911:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Nice and hot piss posted:

the only game you need is Snake on your old nokia phone

change my mind

breath of the wild is p. good imo

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1128656242627493889?s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

facialimpediment posted:

yay, we're wagging the dog and dick-waving into war again

https://twitter.com/woodruffbets/status/1129178796605804551

The only good news is that from the sounds of it, like in Venezuela, Trump is too chickenshit to actually commit to a war and that may very well be the only thing that saves us.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

facialimpediment posted:

And now, for something completely different. What do foreign countries' ambassadors get for food in DC when they're feeling homesick?

El Salvador: Pupusas!

The Philippines: Chicken lumpiang shanghai!

South Korea: Naengmyeon!

Colombia: I'LL TAKE THE TACO BELL #1 BURRITO WITH A DIET PEPSI AND FIRE SALSA

https://twitter.com/M_Lynch_3000/status/1129057249983385600

(he went to college at the University of Texas at Austin)

This whole article is great, makes me wish I was still in DC to try out some of those restaurants.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/AlexCKaufman/status/1129000388215148544?s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Fallom posted:

I think people are starting to pick up on how fake polls are and you can tell the polling companies feel threatened because they're coming up with nonsensical excuses for why it's somehow ok to only get responses from retirement home dwellers and the people dumb enough to pick up for an unknown number.

ehh, polls are still reasonably accurate and I think it's fair to say Biden has a sizeable lead on Bernie (and everyone else). The big question is if or for how long he can maintain that lead-this is Joe Biden we're talking about, after all, a man who's been blowing presidential campaigns for longer than I've been alive. Once the debates start hitting and the D-tier candidates start dropping out, we'll see where the primary stands.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

yikes

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Hexyflexy posted:

It’s total in a full strike. It’s also also a bit weird, in the 2000 warhead strike, if I was the soviet nuke commander I wouldn’t bother hitting the American silos with all those warheads at all - it’s a given they’re expended, and in WW3, effectively forever.

I’d hit absolutely everything else 10 times. Because, gently caress it.

2000 nuke strike is a first strike scenario, so it's trying to hit the silos before the American response starts flying.

Also I should be alright (until I die of radiation poisoning probably) unless the Russkies decide to get real spiteful about national parks.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Why is that, by the way?

Three reasons:

1. Orbital ballistics are complex, it takes time to calculate them and it's not something that's easily done on the fly, especially with Cold War-era electronics. Better to calculate and program just a handful of targets for each missile.

2. Each missile is assigned to a target based on a pre-existing war plan. If you're in a situation where you are using an ICBM, you are not in any kind of situation where the plan can be changed.

3. The purpose of an ICBM is that they are amongst the fastest-reacting nuclear forces the nation has. Missiles like the Titan II were designed to be launched within minutes, if not seconds of a launch order being received, and that required the entire process to be as quick and as automated as possible. For the Titan II, the missile commander would have three buttons that would determine which pre-programmed target the missile would be launched at based on their orders, and that was it—there was no way of otherwise retargeting the missile, since the infrastructure wasn't designed around that being necessary. (Since it's not like Moscow is going to go anywhere).

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
This thread is haunting

https://twitter.com/gwensnyderPHL/status/1133061831118000128?s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I'm not gonna lie, at least 20% of why I want to vote for Warren is that I love her dog.

https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1133548333446901760?s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I think I've come around to the following arguments:

-Above everything else, there is a moral and constitutional imperative to begin impeachment. These are the procedures the Constitution was written for, and official impeachment inquiries can unearth information that is further damaging to the President and the administration, even if conviction in the Senate is extremely unlikely.

-Trump will likely argue that "If I did anything wrong, they would have impeached" anyway, which is not substantively different from "The Senate acquitted me, I did nothing wrong"

-Part of the argument against impeachment is that once the process begins, it squanders the opportunity for the Democrats to talk about their vision from the country. However, by this point we're all very well aware that nobody gives a loving poo poo about positive visions and the media certainly wouldn't cover it anyway, so may as well heap as much dirt on Trump as possible.

-While impeachment might not be broadly popular, it's more popular with the most motivated members of the base, and that's who you need to be energized and excited to organize for the general election. It's probably also one of the few issues that both the center/center-left #Resist folks and the farther left section of the base agree on, so it's one of the few unifying issues the Democrats can campaign on going into the election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Hegel Exercises posted:

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1134203496947830784?s=21

AOC and Ted Cruz teaming up to ban congresscritters from lobbying after they leave office.

If Ted's for it like hell do I trust it.