Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man, this week's episode seemed designed to just kick the story forward.

The one thing I thought kind of dumb is how Liv and her smuggling crew don't just take the person's pulse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

Man, this week's episode seemed designed to just kick the story forward.

The one thing I thought kind of dumb is how Liv and her smuggling crew don't just take the person's pulse?

About time we had more Blaine. And yea they are surprisingly incompetent. Should ask Major for some tips because came out a champ in this episode.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

About time we had more Blaine. And yea they are surprisingly incompetent. Should ask Major for some tips because came out a champ in this episode.

First time for everything

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

There's really no reason for him to be this competent either. He fell rear end backwards into the job of protecting zombie-kind, when his only prior notable accomplishment prior to that was... raiding and massacring a butchershop of zombies.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

oh jay posted:

There's really no reason for him to be this competent either. He fell rear end backwards into the job of protecting zombie-kind, when his only prior notable accomplishment prior to that was... raiding and massacring a butchershop of zombies.

Hey now, he was also the Chaos Killer. Honestly I'm surprised that isn't brought up either because the general population hated him even though he was never charged or whatever. So Seattle must really loved the alleged serial killer who now runs a paramilitary zombie force that controls the city :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

A pretty sensible progression when you think about it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oh poo poo, the return of Liv's family. And now I remember why they dropped them completely because they are horrible.

Oh poo poo, the dad reveal.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of an odd coincidence that Liv's dad is the bad guy but whatever.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"Wow, so you're my daughter and you're also a zombie? That's good, because I'm the leader of an anti-human zombie group and we're about to unleash a bunch of romeros on the city."

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I assumed that the father would turn out to be the druggie who mixed the original tainted utopium.
Could still be true.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Oasx posted:

It's really a shame that the show never managed to get away from the brain of the week format.
I'd have been happy if they kept it as that, but the mix of ongoing dramatic storyline with weekly procedural doesn't work at all. They should have picked one or the other rather than trying for both at once. Although if they were going to keep the brain-of-the-week format they should have kept it low-key like it used to be instead of making it completely transform Liv's personality every week.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

About time we had more Blaine.
Blaine's been a real problem for this show for ages now. There's no way to justify his continuing to be tolerated by the other characters, but he's obviously the best character in the show so they can't write him off.

That said, this season has improved since the first episode. It's not great, but after episode one I really thought this season was going to be almost unwatchable.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm not sure every show needs to lean into serialization. BotW with some light overarching seasonal arc would be fine. The 2nd(?) season with Stephen Weber was a perfect example of this. Or think X-Files at it's best. Just like X-Files, iZombie stumbled when it had to start spinning too many plates.

However, I will say that I'm enjoying this season so far, even though I'd still like more Blaine.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I am extremely late for the party, but after unsuccessfully searching for Veronica Mars repeatedly on Netflix they recommended iZombie to me instead, and well turns out I love it.

Only a couple of episodes in, but it definitely feels like a Rob Thomas show.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Der Shovel posted:

I am extremely late for the party, but after unsuccessfully searching for Veronica Mars repeatedly on Netflix they recommended iZombie to me instead, and well turns out I love it.

Only a couple of episodes in, but it definitely feels like a Rob Thomas show.

It has had quite a number of Veronica Mars cameos over the years.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Isn't it the same showrunner or producer or something?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

MiddleOne posted:

Yes, Rob Thomas created both Veronica Mars and iZombie.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

MiddleOne posted:

Yes, and it really feels like it too. It immediately had that same snappy feel as Veronica Mars did.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My suspension of disbelief was pretty seriously tested by Justin murdering friends and co-workers in pursuit of this whole zombie revolution thing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

cant cook creole bream posted:

I assumed that the father would turn out to be the druggie who mixed the original tainted utopium.
Could still be true.

You nailed it buddy :hfive: Junkie dad was just looking to get SUPER HIGH then whoops I created zombies by accident.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought it was kind of funny they ended up doing the opposite of human Liv for past Blaine where to make him look human he had to wear a wig.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lunchables brain is very 90s.

General Mills' daughter is dead so time to nuke it. Good thing Liv's dad turned other high ranking officials or next the next episode would open with the irradiated remains of Seattle.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I really love Don E's love for running the bar.

Guy's just not smart enough to be truly evil. I kinda hope the guy gets some kind of redemption.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Gotta admit, I like Liv's dad. When they introduced him, it felt kinda forced, but this is an interesting dynamic, since he seems to be genuinely proud of her and wants to be together. And the brother is just kinda there and sick, I guess. But screw the mother! "If he becomes a zombie he wont be himself anymore!", she says to her daughter, she pretty much abandoned until she needed something from her.

And I do feel bad for Don E. He found a girl he's happy with, but she's destined to die soon, so that some rich douche can eat her. Also the poor guy is called "Donald Eberhardt".

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I just remembered that 2 episodes ago Major's big plan was for the zombies to move to zombie island. Because surely they wouldn't get bombed the second there were no more human hostages in the way. :downs:

I'm not sure who is dumber: Major and Peyton for thinking it's a good plan or the US military for not going along with it then just level it once all the zombies are there.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I also like how Ravi and Peyton called drugdad "The father of all Zombies." Sure, this was written so they could say "He's also Liv's father." But this makes it sound like he instigated all of this and was a secret mastermind cackling from the shadows, while in truth, he was just some drug aficionado, who happened to gulp a particular energy drink.
Of course, he now leads a militia which placed sleeper agents in high places, but they have no reason to assume anything beyond the drug part.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

cant cook creole bream posted:

And I do feel bad for Don E. He found a girl he's happy with, but she's destined to die soon, so that some rich douche can eat her. Also the poor guy is called "Donald Eberhardt".

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he rebels against Blaine and tries to zombie her.

EDIT: \/ hence "try"

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 29, 2019

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Mokinokaro posted:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he rebels against Blaine and tries to zombie her.
He can try, but she's immune.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
If they're sleeping together, he kinda does try already. But I could see him being completely unaware of the immunity until he get's absolutely euphoric, when he realizes that they actually can have sex.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I just remembered that 2 episodes ago Major's big plan was for the zombies to move to zombie island. Because surely they wouldn't get bombed the second there were no more human hostages in the way. :downs:

To be fair, reverse Madagaskar isn't the craziest ploy. Quarantining a tiny island is much easier then doing the same to a city filled to the brim with the non-infected/hostages. Long-term there is no good solution to the problem, there are only less bad ones.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mokinokaro posted:

I really love Don E's love for running the bar.

Guy's just not smart enough to be truly evil. I kinda hope the guy gets some kind of redemption.
He's not as bad as Blaine, but he's still done terrible things and doesn't deserve redemption. They're both just so likeable that it makes you forget how bad they are.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Don E's that guy you kinda know through a friend, who's funny at parties and brings the good drugs, but also you instinctively know you never want to actually hang out or get to know him 1-1.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I appreciate them not dragging out that dad is Beanpole Bob reveal to Liv.

Clive being perpetually annoyed at Liv's noir detective comments was :discourse:

Good for you Candy. You get your happy ending.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I thought for sure Blaine was going to kill Don E too. Just killing his fiancee almost seems merciful.

Dang Martin, I bet you thought you were pretty clever with the metal plate in your head. Shame he just shot you again.

2 episodes left!

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I thought for sure Blaine was going to kill Don E too. Just killing his fiancee almost seems merciful.

Dang Martin, I bet you thought you were pretty clever with the metal plate in your head. Shame he just shot you again.

2 episodes left!
Yeah, that whole 'plate in the head' thing was such a weird throwaway; or did I miss some previous reference as to why that was there? I mean, it's very super villain-ish but it went nowhere. Much like the overall scheme to have a group of horny electronics convention goers spreading the zombie virus? That feels excessively lame....

Also I feel like they could have done more with the drag motif; hell, I'm sure even bringing in actual drag queens would have livened things up a bit but it's hard to top the detective noir ramblings from the last episode. Still with two episodes left I'm sure they have to tie up a bunch of loose ends, which I'm sure will end up like 'Return of the Living Dead' and Seattle will just get nuked.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

2 episodes left!

Yeah, the plate would have worked fine if he actually did anything after it worked, like attacking, rather than just standing there like a Muppet as letting him take another shot.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The part where this episode broke my immersion was the part where someone is still doing real-estate development in a city under martial law, infested by super-rabies and under the ongoing threat of getting nuked by the US.

Like what.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

discworld is all I read posted:

Much like the overall scheme to have a group of horny electronics convention goers spreading the zombie virus? That feels excessively lame....

MiddleOne posted:

The part where this episode broke my immersion was the part where someone is still doing real-estate development in a city under martial law, infested by super-rabies and under the ongoing threat of getting nuked by the US.

I love the overly complex plans haha. Surely there is an easier way to infect people / make money...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I love the overly complex plans haha. Surely there is an easier way to infect people / make money...

Earlier season: Just put zombie blood in something else.

Galaxy brain final season: Zombies killing and taking the place of hookers to infect nerds at the electronic convention in Las Vegas (???) through sex.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know how they keep finding new ways to make Liv drop dead gorgeous.

MiddleOne posted:

Like what.

What else are they going to do? If all you know is real estate, why not keep doing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know how they keep finding new ways to make Liv drop dead gorgeous.

Helps that's she's gorgeous 24/7