Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I thought the Wheel of Fortune thread ended after I summoned Exodia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I watched a speedrun for uplink recently and they had an absolutely brilliant strat to quickly find a huge bank account to steal.

they hacked the criminal database and got caught on purpose, which gets you a message demanding you pay a fine to a certain government bank account, and then just stole all the money in that account and sent the fee to the now empty account.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

That definitely sounds faster, but is far less amusing, than robbing Uplink.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

So internic generates a "this IP disconnected" log immediately after you log off... are there any repercussions for having this lying around suspiciously without a "this IP connected" log?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
the only ones that actually matter if you are trying to break a manual trace are the redirect logs that occurred as part of that specific hack, afaik. you don't even really need to delete the logs on the destination computer most of the time.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh lord, I loaded up the original Uplink. I forgot how bad the interface is on that. Not only do you need a program to copy files, but then you need to open your memory manager, and drag the copy program to the memory manager slots. It's... it's actually kind of painful to play.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Uplink OS Episode 4 - Government Services

I may be a hero of the people, but I'm also kind of a shithead when I drink

This is the last episode of the session, so next session I'll be a bit more careful about logs and related opsec stuff. It also might take a while since Grace is currently in Canada and we're doing other poo poo

Danaru fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 15, 2019

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

You keep faithfully half assing the bounce route and and the logs, and I keep faithfully waiting for you to get game overed out of nowhere because of it. :allears:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Enjoy your time with Grace and don't worry about us, we'll be here to watch you bumble through hacks web when you get back.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Complications posted:

You keep faithfully half assing the bounce route and and the logs, and I keep faithfully waiting for you to get game overed out of nowhere because of it. :allears:

A viewer on Twitter reminded me about exit logs after the first episode went up, so I popped on and cleaned up the first couple servers we bounce through, that leaves a bunch of servers with hundreds of LOG DELETED entries but even if they hire someone with an undeleter, they cant get back to us anymore. I would have waited a bit to be sure but I dont want the plot to activate without Grace around

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Jiz ruled so hard that Willam Belli the most thirsty drag queen guest starred for free and sang a song

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

The UplinkOS mod and this LP has prompted me to pick up the game again! Got caught in my first real server and had to pay a fine. But haven't been caught again yet, and I'm working on upgrading both software and hardware.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Broke this out again and got caught doing level 5 jobs. Guess I forgot to clean out a few links.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
One thing I always did was make my second bounce InterNIC and then delete all the logs immediately after my mission. It's never failed me.

Jackmodear
Nov 8, 2004
Really enjoying this, made me reinstall the game and download Uplink OS. So much nicer to play with it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I remember back in the day someone made a mod that had a super expensive "LOG NUKE" program that just wiped every drat log in a server. Really convenient. Might have been Simply Uplink maybe?

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 20, 2019

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

general PSA if you're playing Uplink and OS: the existence of the stock market is temptation itself but stay out of the stock market. Each purchase and sale makes a transaction log in your bank, and buying a million+ credits of anything makes thousands of logs. The game cannot handle this, and AFAIK logs don't expire so the save is basically permafucked since I couldn't find a save editor and gently caress if I'm going to drag out the hex editor.

Yes I was a dumb and put around 5 million into the stock market and then robbed another million credit account and went to the bank to wipe the logs and then suddenly I didn't have a functional game anymore. RIP that save.

60,000+ shares lololol

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

hahah I thought you were going to go 'but you suddenly becoming a millionaire is a red flag'

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Uplink OS Episode 5 - Mission Accomplished

We're back! Turns out starting an LP RIGHT before going on vacation isn't the best idea!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
This LP (and it's mention of the OS mod) are why I finally gave this game another try after bouncing off it hard previously.

Following the Dan and Grace wisdom of "Break more computers" also gave me the confidence and means to get away with my first multi million bank robbery some days ago :buddy:

If these megacorps are so smart, why do they gotta wait to see the news until they pay up :colbert:

Also, dumb question. What the deal with those "Accessed file" logs you see at InterNIC? What files does InterNIC even HAVE outside of logs?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

If I had any idea how to install mods, I'd probably give it another try too. I'll look it up when I haven't worked all night.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Xenocides posted:

Broke this out again and got caught doing level 5 jobs. Guess I forgot to clean out a few links.

LP got me to finally install the copy I bought years ago. First run game overed when I hosed up stealing from a bank; I thought I had to be the admin to delete the transaction logs so I spent too long messing around in a panic.

Second run I took all the bank jobs they had and demanded credits up front, then used them to get Proxy Disable and Monitor Disable level 5. That made it a cinch to clear out every account I found while tracing balance transfers, so now I'm sitting here with 4+ million credits.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Section Z posted:

Also, dumb question. What the deal with those "Accessed file" logs you see at InterNIC? What files does InterNIC even HAVE outside of logs?
Accessed file is accessing the logs without logging in as admin, something that you can't do. It means that you annoyed a target sufficiently that someone was passive tracing you.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Complications posted:

Accessed file is accessing the logs without logging in as admin, something that you can't do. It means that you annoyed a target sufficiently that someone was passive tracing you.

Wuh oh we saw like five of those crop up at internic before the night was over. In my defense we mostly did system destruction missions or used readwrite accounts so deleting logs during the hack was unfeasible

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Danaru posted:

Let's Play Uplink OS Episode 5 - Mission Accomplished

We're back! Turns out starting an LP RIGHT before going on vacation isn't the best idea!
Just so you're aware, UplinkOS has keyboard shortcuts for most of what you're doing. Bookmark a place with b, favorite with f, delete with... delete. Plus other shortcuts for copying files and whatnot. On the other hand, this might be a stylistic choice that you explained in the first episode that I'm forgetting or you're just drunk enough that it's more effort.

Either/or, thought I'd put that out there.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
So did you ever end up looking down slightly on that one email and reading the second paragraph in post-video editing? Because if not then I think I've solved the mystery of why they weren't paying you for that mission.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'll be honest I just kinda biffed the episode onto the internet right after we finished recording without skimming, much less editing it. Which email do you mean?

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

Danaru posted:

I'll be honest I just kinda biffed the episode onto the internet right after we finished recording without skimming, much less editing it. Which email do you mean?

The one for the 9800c mission from Advanced Software. The one where they wanted you to destroy Adaptive Solutions Central Mainframe.

tl;dr In the second paragraph they say they won't pay until they see it reported on the news. Or, to quote the email, until "the company has reported its losses to the public."

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh, yeah we figured that out at some point :v: early next episode I think

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Complications posted:

Ah, gotcha. The fact nothing has ever come of it yet was part of why I was curious.

Up to and including "I forgot to delete my InterNIC logs after robbing the bank!", but I realized this a minute after headbutting the self destruct on my computer the second I finished dealing with the banks themselves, just to be sure.

...Huh, maybe I just did it fast enough to not get caught, period? I don't think I noticed an IP change after they gave me my replacement computer.

Danaru posted:

Oh, yeah we figured that out at some point :v: early next episode I think
There was Grace saying "What if they want to see it in the news?" and you going "Oh yeah, that sounds about right" on screen already, so you are already two steps ahead of the audience. Like a proper TV cyber criminal.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Section Z posted:

Ah, gotcha. The fact nothing has ever come of it yet was part of why I was curious.

Up to and including "I forgot to delete my InterNIC logs after robbing the bank!", but I realized this a minute after headbutting the self destruct on my computer the second I finished dealing with the banks themselves, just to be sure.

...Huh, maybe I just did it fast enough to not get caught, period? I don't think I noticed an IP change after they gave me my replacement computer.
There are a few systems interacting. If you did something interesting before the immediate threat of the banks, that might've been someone passive tracing from a previous action. Uplink's pretty opaque at times, and multiple investigations can be running at once.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Uplink OS Episode 6 - Big Ol' Brainulum

I'm actually doing surprisingly well at this game despite the heroic volume of vodka I drank while waiting for Grace to get home :toot:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Hilariously, the modem matters a lot less for literally everything than CPU speed including, counterintuitively, downloading and uploading files. lol uplink

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Dunston's Revenge sounds like something perfect to put into a 'crimes' entry field as often as possible.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I can't remember if it was Hacknet or Hacker Evolution but I know one of them had a mission where you hacked a dude's pacemaker.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I can't remember if it was Hacknet or Hacker Evolution but I know one of them had a mission where you hacked a dude's pacemaker.

That was an optional mission in Hacknet.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Uplink OS Episode 7 - The Place That You Go When You Die

I don't know how obvious it was by me constantly taking missions to destroy systems, but I was stalling and waiting for the main story to finally start. I don't know if Uplink OS pushed it ahead by a few days or what but it feels like it took way longer to happen :shepface:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
sometimes when I log in to my work computer I see this:

have I been hacked??????

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Lol neither of you watch LPs.

Then again this forum is mostly sslps now and the VLP boys stream. And CirclMastr is in the middle of nowhere inflicting pain on himself.

Also I want to see you yell at Poirot. Just toss up a TW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Danaru posted:

Let's Play Uplink OS Episode 7 - The Place That You Go When You Die

I keep messing up by drunkenly smashing buttons until something happens. :shepface:

Also it seems you should get a third CPU and upgrade your monitor bypass to level 5 so you can actually do the highend missions.

You could grind some lowend missions offscreen for money.