Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
plz take neymar instead of mane

luv u lots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

fat gay nonce posted:

Liverpool's owners are much worse than City's.

The UAE generally restrict their horribleness to poor people in their own country or poor immigrants who we don't give a poo poo about whereas John Henry helps prop up an unbearably awful thing that any right thinking moral person recognises as an abomination that should be be banned with it's victims offered extensive state aid programs to try to piece their shattered lives back together; Baseball.

i hate that i laughed at this post

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
surely there's no way bale moves unless real eats at least half of that idiotic salary, right

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i mean for a permanent move, like one of those deals where the selling club agrees to pay a portion of his new contract

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
everyone just needs to get the gently caress over WWI, i'm telling you

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Imagine if this turns out to be a fake sheikh

faeikh

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
pogba scored 13 in the league this year? i'll be god damned

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
(jots down notes)

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i was gonna say holy gently caress jose would be old there but he'd only be 69

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
one of the weird things about VAR and offside is it seems like the angle of the camera relative to attacker and defender can change the perspective quite a bit and thus change what looks offside and what doesn't. you see the same thing with the positioning of outfield cameras in baseball stadiums.

i really noticed this on some meaningless play during the first leg of liverpool/barca...it was an offside call deep in the attacking area, and it was the bernabeu, so the camera was probably quite a bit further away from the pitch than in smaller stadiums. i feel like the linesman got the call right, but it looked weird nonetheless when it was on replay.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 20, 2019

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
nou camp, my bad

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i kind of love that rafa has this love from the fans everywhere he's worked

i am baffled why big clubs are not lining up to give him money to properly run their teams

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Except Chelsea for whatever reason

am i remembering right that they never actually took away his "interim" title?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Flayer posted:

I wonder how long it will take until China starts to develop a steady stream of European top league quality players with all this financial investment and poaching of talent from European leagues. Who's the best Chinese player at this point?

I assume its the guy who plays in La Liga? I think all of their other regulars play in China.

And it is going to be very hard for them to develop a league that can compete financially and on the pitch. My prediction is that it eventually starts looking like the KHL (if it doesn't already), with basically like 3 flagship teams that have good players making huge money and then a bunch of of filler teams, and the whole enterprise run at a huge financial loss.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
China is sort of at a crossroads with sports...the most popular sports for most of the last half century were the more traditional individual types that survived the Mao era (table tennis and badminton and running and etc) but the current government is making a MASSIVE effort to compete more effectively in global team sports. Soccer and basketball are the two big ones. They kind of lucked into Yao Ming...he wasn't a hard talent to pick out. Soccer is trickier, though. The infrastructure to develop world class teams and players just didn't exist in the PRC until the very recent super mega building effort began about five years ago. As a part of that, they're building literally tens of thousands of training facilities all over the country.

Like most things CPC-related, this is all part of a big long term plan. 2049 is the soft deadline for the PRC to be a "global power" on par with the US or whoever, which coincidentally is the centenary of the CPC. The 2050 World Cup coincides pretty nicely with this timeline. So, the PRC hosting and winning the 2050 World Cup has become a major political objective, and the biggest sports objective. Who knows if putting millions of Chinese kids onto 80,000 new soccer fields will actually yield a super team or even any world class players, but the commitment sure as hell is there.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Countries with authoritarian governments have produced tons of creative/individualistic world class team sport athletes and elite teams...just scroll down the list of Ballon D'or finalists and you see tons of guys from Eastern Bloc countries and Franco's Spain and dictatorial Brazil/Argentina and so on. Same with hockey...Soviet and Czech hockey players were renowned for their creativity and skill, and it isn't like Western players weren't PEDing at the same time (though probably not with official government support). I'd even go so far as to say the fall of the USSR seriously damaged Russian hockey and probably soccer as well, at least insofar as producing world class players/national teams goes.

The biggest issue with Chinese soccer isn't the authoritarian government or some vague issue of culture. It is that, until very recently, there was hardly anywhere in the country to actually play the sport.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1151295619278839808

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

blue footed boobie posted:

Apparently he did it because he lost a bet to Lacazette so at least he’s not Nasir doing this voluntarily.

this kinda owns especially if he were doing rapinoe

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
lichtsteiner stares at his phone, willing it to ring

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
how did kepa keeper end up doing last year? he was first worlds most expensive goalie and then i heard nothing about him the rest of the year

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
the occasional updates i saw on karius in turkey were not exactly glowing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

i love seeing poo poo like this

it is amazing how fast all of these guys are except luke shaw