Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

e: I just realized which thread I effort-posted this in. Imagine this is being spoken between pledge breaks in a whiny nasal voice that is absolutely accentless except when I overenunciate the hyphenated Spanish half of my last name.

I think the issue is around needing a positive term that can be used by outsiders, and by that I mean anyone outside a specific ethnic enclave — even though I am Mexican-American, that is informed by a specific socio-economic and cultural experience geographically centered in south Texas that doesn’t necessarily have much in common with (e.g.) Californians. I sorta dislike Latinx (mostly on grammatical grounds but I understand and accept the reason for superceding the gendering in declining it), but there isn’t a better term I can think of to use generally for what we would have called “Hispanic people” thirty years ago. (Also, 30 years ago, “Latino” meant of Mexican descent to me, but living in Texas with my background might have colored my understanding.)

Obviously, the specific is to be preferred and used when possible. But when collectively talking about people of Chilean ancestry in Chile, Spanish-speaking Mexican-Americans of the Rio Grande Valley, Puerto Ricans, or Dominican abuelas in NYC walk-ups, I’m not sure what better term to use.

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

roarpower posted:

I am late to the thread but I love A1 and Here and Now, and Fresh Air, and a little bit of All things considered

B- trolling, pretty cliche and obvious but not insultingly stupid like "Thank Jeebus Car Talk is off the air."