Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite Drink?
This poll is closed.
Water 32 26.67%
Tea 21 17.50%
Soda 28 23.33%
Alcoholic 22 18.33%
I dunno 17 14.17%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Still stuck in 2019 someone free me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i finished episode 4 of umineko before 2020 hits the west coast

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Witcher (Netflix) is good yall.

Still 2019 for 3 hours, wonder what I can cram into that 3 hours to watch until the new year. It decided to get snowy and windy out and as much as I want to go watch a free The Trews show downtown I handle winter weather poorly in my old age.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/VGAdvisor/status/1212210846773833729

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

it's true

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Myself and five other goons irl in cod

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Is Koisuru Asteroid actually yuri? The fact that it's from a seinen magazine suggests it's just the teasing kind rather than the actual kind.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TDx_XNQ5QU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

lowtax is drunkenly streaming, ranting about how he's not a transphobe, and banning people on air

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAZ82mj4zgE

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I will not be watching it.

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

lowtax is drunkenly streaming, ranting about how he's not a transphobe, and banning people on air

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAZ82mj4zgE

this is an incredibly depressing thing to see

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Happy New Year Goons! :toot:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3908712

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

the video is gorgeous and the song is chill ty for link

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Is Koisuru Asteroid actually yuri? The fact that it's from a seinen magazine suggests it's just the teasing kind rather than the actual kind.

Manga Time Kirara isn't really a seinen magazine in the typical sense, it's a specialty magazine for CGDCT 4koma

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

the magazine a manga runs in doesn't really tell you exactly that much, yagakimi runs in a friggin shonen magazine and it's one of the most popular recent yuri manga ever. at worst the general trend you can expect from manga time kirara stuff is that it doesn't usually dwell super hard on relationship stuff but like. their more recent stuff tends to be pretty frank and they have a couple manga that are literally made by prolific yuri doujin authors.

that said koisuru asteroid is mostly just kinda boring but maybe the anime will be better

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 1, 2020

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

What I've read of it is pretty in line with most stuff from that magazine. It's not *not* a yuri manga, I'm not aware of any moments where it tries to go all "it's not what it looks like!" or anything like that, but it's by no means a romance either. Focus is on the gags and general cuteness moreso than concrete relationship developments.

I'm pretty eh on the manga, honestly, I'm mostly interested in the anime because Dogakobo tends to do good work injecting more life into this type of material.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh the weirdest i've ever seen more recent kirara stuff get is like, new game having some jokes where a lady teases someone by joking about her girlfriend getting stolen by a dude, and at least in that case the implication is that she's just overly anxious. other than that like, comic girls is a manga where a girl just tells someone she loves another girl, and they're just like "why don't you go on a date with her" and then they just. go on a date. and slow start is a manga where 25% of the jokes are dumb puns and the other 75% are girls saying "i'm gay and girls are hot" and one of the girls just has two gay grandmas who just exist and this goes entirely unquestioned by anyone

they pretty much trend the opposite direction of having jokes about it being "a misunderstanding" or w/e, which is pretty nice. hell even in the forgotten 2016 kirara manga chevalier half of the jokes are about one of the girls calling another girl her wife

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Machikado Mazoku also runs in Kirara (carat) and is building to perhaps the most ambitious story I've seen in a 4 koma as well

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
kirara's first magazine began in the early 00s of the moe boom with a heavy focus on slice-of-life 4koma. you can see how that premise would play into an adult male otaku demographic as a foundation. and it is absolutely popular with dudes who want to dedicate shrines to Kafuu Chino and cover their walls in tapestries of cute girls, but it should also be easy to see how the focus on girls' relationships results in works that aren't male-biased as 'seinen' may seem to imply—as well as the fact that there are ladies (like the CEO of one of azur lane's two dev companies) who cover their walls with Kafuu Chino.

they employ a lot of female mangaka, and many kirara works are about explicit lesbians. everyone in slow start is gay and its authored by a lady who's done nearly 100 yuri doujins of saki characters. sakura trick is about girls making out. kanamemo. harukana receive is about girl-girl relationship dynamics and brings up phrases like 'ex-girlfriend' consistently.

or take koufuku graffiti, which opens up with the main character walking around alone on christmas eve, surrounded by couples, wishing she had someone to take home and cook for. then the very next scene has her run into the other main character. so one girl stuffs the other's face with home cooking and

and yeah, a common tenet for kirara works is low-stakes 4koma comedy, but as the magazine continues running for nearly twenty years, authors have been exploring how to deal with serious relationship dynamics and varied genres within the magazine's fluffy image.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Machikado Mazoku also runs in Kirara (carat) and is building to perhaps the most ambitious story I've seen in a 4 koma as well

It’s really impressive and I hope the author recovers soon.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Is there a thread in this subforum where I can ask people to identify an anime based on scattered details? I don't go here that often, but my roommate is trying to find something he saw in high school.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Manga demos dont actually matter in this, the year of our lord 2020

Obviously they have some influence on what the editors want and how stuff is marketed but acting like something cant be real yuri because its in a seinen mag is pretty lol

So, wanna go out or is a shonen sunday publication and its a story about college lesbians that deals with homophobic bullying in high school and has the mcs gently caress , and its like this specifically because the author hit up two yuri publications and they didnt want it.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Solitair posted:

Is there a thread in this subforum where I can ask people to identify an anime based on scattered details? I don't go here that often, but my roommate is trying to find something he saw in high school.

Just do it in here, plenty of the regulars in this thread remember a bunch of old anime

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Space Flower posted:

or take koufuku graffiti, which opens up with the main character walking around alone on christmas eve, surrounded by couples, wishing she had someone to take home and cook for. then the very next scene has her run into the other main character. so one girl stuffs the other's face with home cooking and

Thank you for reminding me how much I love Koufuku Graffiti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

DoubleDonut posted:

Just do it in here, plenty of the regulars in this thread remember a bunch of old anime

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Solitair posted:

My roommate just asked me about an anime that he's been looking for that he saw in high school. He knows it aired on Funimation, and guesses the original air date to be from 2009-2011. From what he told me, it's about an internet troll guy who meets a girl who can pull swords from another dimension, at one point doing so from a wall. He's trying to learn how to do the same thing, since he has that as a buried ability; he wrongly thinks it's a property of a sword he owns, but in reality that sword is a fake. I don't know anything about it beyond that.