Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
My apartment has bugs.

They look like the larvae of something, but I've never seen any winged insects or, really, any other kind of insect in my place, so I don't think they're larvae.

Hm, my camera's not the best. They're not fuzzy, that's apparently blur. They're smooth and squirmy and have exoskeletons. They're only a few millimetres across. They don't seem to cluster anywhere. I just find them at random around my apartment.

So what the hell are they, where are they coming from, and - most importantly - what do I need to do to exterminate the little buggers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
Looks like carpet beetle larva, real annoying bastards to get rid of. Very fond of pet hair so cleaning and removing hair from around the house will help a bunch. Otherwise unfortunately the best way of keeping them at bay is to get rid of the existing ones.

Launder entire rooms of clothes at a time, take rugs/pillows outside and clean them, freeze anything you can't launder. Diatomaceous earth sprinkled into places like under the couch or below cushions can keep them from spreading from furniture.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Selious posted:

Looks like carpet beetle larva, real annoying bastards to get rid of. Very fond of pet hair so cleaning and removing hair from around the house will help a bunch. Otherwise unfortunately the best way of keeping them at bay is to get rid of the existing ones.

Launder entire rooms of clothes at a time, take rugs/pillows outside and clean them, freeze anything you can't launder. Diatomaceous earth sprinkled into places like under the couch or below cushions can keep them from spreading from furniture.

gently caress! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthrenus_flavipes

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I actually recognise the adult beetles - I *have* seen them a few times. Thanks!

So... That means they're probably all through my couch and my mattress, and there's nothing I can do to get rid of them other than buying new ones? Can't even starve them out since they actually feed on couch/mattress. gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Introduce bedbugs to the couch and mattress and see which species wins

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator

Hydrolith posted:

gently caress! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthrenus_flavipes

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I actually recognise the adult beetles - I *have* seen them a few times. Thanks!

So... That means they're probably all through my couch and my mattress, and there's nothing I can do to get rid of them other than buying new ones? Can't even starve them out since they actually feed on couch/mattress. gently caress gently caress gently caress.

In my experience they tend to be on the surface, they don't burrow inside of couches/beds unless you have gaping holes the beetles were able to get through. Just vacuum up the ones you can find to prevent them from spreading. Especially check the folds and creases as well as any loose socks or clothes thrown into corners or underneath other objects. Bug bombs are an option, or moving the furniture to a 'quarantine zone' where you can clean it more thoroughly.

When I had them I eventually got rid of them by moving, nothing entered the new house without being washed, bombed, or quarantined to prove lack of infection. Mostly just being diligent will help get rid of the 95%, regularly hunt through the house looking for hair/lint and get rid of it. Bonus of having a clean house for the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Vacuum more often and spread diatomaceous earth liberally and frequently, you'll be fine.