Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Rhyno posted:

That site is all cickbait. The reported that Brien Larsen had been recast for Endgame after the bad critical response to Captain Marvel. Ignoring that she shot Endgame first.

I've managed to get some star wars clickbaiter in my youtube feed. Almost every day there's some "Geroge Lucas plans to reboot The Last Jedi" or "George Lucas-cut of Rise of Skywalker to be released", stuff that doesn't make a blind bit of sense if you know the bare minimum about who actually made the movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Wait, am I the only one who loved the Kasius arc? I thought it was fantastic.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Kasius was a better "bitter wimp with daddy issues" than Malik was. Sinara was a better second in command / dragon than Kora.

It's a shame they kind of whiffed on Malik's future betrayal and death/knowledge that his father and brother will sacrifice anyone for themselves / his life and death are therefore meaningless and a subsequent mental break. It would have given the actor a bit of meat to chew.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Honestly a large part of it is that I'm binging so I'm literally coming off the strongest arc of the show, and to go from Aida to Kasius is... the second biggest downgrade in a superhero show after Heroes Season 2.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sloth Life posted:

Kasius was a better "bitter wimp with daddy issues" than Malik was. Sinara was a better second in command / dragon than Kora.

I was about to make a comparison and then I realized that 'oh yeah that interpretation of Freeza was from the Abridged version'

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Kasius arc does have Fitz and Hunter's episode, and Fitz's arrival in the future and him rescuing Simmons. One of my favorite memories of the show.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Codependent Poster posted:

The Kasius arc does have Fitz and Hunter's episode,

Release the ferrets! :black101:

I really should go back and rewatch the series.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Honestly, on rewatch I like Ruby a lot more, knowing how her story ends, and not just being mad at her for cutting off Yo-Yo's arms.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Kasius wasn’t a great bad guy but neither was Nathaniel malick. Seasons were still good and they were serviceable. Its the difference between the just good seasons and the amazing seasons with ward, Aida etc

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Season quality is directly connected to how powerful the villain is. If they aren't impressive then you just wonder why Daisy or Yoyo can't just immediately kick their rear end in 23 seconds.

Even with him having Daisy's powers for decades longer than her Nathaniel still couldn't manage to be threatening.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Nathaniel Malick felt like a Veronica Mars villain that took a wrong turn and ended up on a superhero show by accident

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I liked what they did with him towards the end of the season, but there was no budget or real estate to give him much of a presence for the most part.

Part of me also suspects that he was meant to be Whitehall, and they couldn't get the actor back so they went with plan B.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Should've kept Malick as older (EDIT: I could've sworn we had an episode where he was much older and had a beard but maybe I got him mixed up with someone else? Or maybe that was Gideon?). I've kind of forgotten why he couldn't be his older, more mature self but maybe that would just seem more threatening rather than angsty teen Malick

Also just gonna share link this video about James Hong, who played May's father back in season 3 for one episode. Something I've appreciated about this show is just the stunning number of quality actors that have come on to do one time or a few episode long roles. It has really exposed me to a large number of actors and now I'm adding to my watch lists left and right, digging through so many filmography of stuff I now want to see.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 23, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Malik from before was Powers Booth right?

He died.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Gideon Malick from season 3 and The Avengers (played by Powers Boothe) was Nathaniel's brother. In the original timeline, Nathaniel was sacrificed to Hive through the space monolith as a young adult, leaving Gideon to take the reins in Hydra's efforts to infiltrate world governments.

Presumably Nathaniel sidelined Gideon in the wake of their father's death (perhaps due to the information about their original futures that Sibyl shared with him)

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Season 2 best season confirmed. Christ but Cal is a great baddie and he acts almost everyone else off the screen (IdC excepted. Also, Turbo was 100pc ready to shoot Mack to save Simmons)
I also forgot how good Ruth Negga is. Rainas character is frustratingly slight but her manipulations are always very grounded and genuine, in ways you don't expect. It's how I'd expect to see fairies depicted, lying with every ounce of truth.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whichever season has the most Hunter is the best season.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I can't remember if Hunter and Bobbi left in Season 3 or 4 for the life of me. You could put a gun to my head and ask and I'd tell you to shoot.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Whichever season has the most Hunter is the best season.

Also why season 2 best season. Hunter! He has anger issues and hits people with chairs! He's quippy and kind of short!

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
2's my favorite too. I didn't like the main plot at the end of the season, though. The Afterlife vs Shield & Shield vs Other Shield stuff was pretty contrived. Big waste of Edward James Olmos. Kyle Machlachlan, on the other hand, was used perfectly. And it's the season of Peak Ward. I don't know if I liked him better as beardy Hannibal Lector making crazy eyes at Daisy from his future cell or on the run post-family murder making crazy eyes at Agent 33.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Jemma's just fooled Bobbi the walking lie detector twice.
Fuckin A! I love that sciency little badass

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
4 is my overall favorite; I'm halfway through 6 on my rewatch now.

I'd rank it

tho after 3 it's a little blurry, and if you split 1 by "pre-Paxton" and "post-Paxton" then 1.5 jumps up to between 2 and 4, and 1 drops down below 7.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

For me, it's ranked:

Season 2 - REAL SHIELD and Inhumans
Season 4 - Ghost Rider and Framework
Season 3 - Lash and Hive
Season 1 - Intro and Hydra
Season 5 - Space and Gravitonium
Season 7 - Time travel shenanigans
Season 6 - Sarge and Itzel

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

4/3/2 are all really good though

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
4 - I don't love the Ghost Rider pod, but the rest of the season more than makes up for it.
2 - The most cohesive season?
7 - Love the greatest hits feel of this one. I'm a sucker for time travel.
5 - Space! Enoch! Deke! GraviTalbot! The End!
1 - Underrated. The whole cast are such innocent babies and I love them.
3 - Lincoln is so boring
6 - This season feels undercooked and needed a better Big Bad. Inescapable was an amazing ep though

I should say, I don't actually dislike any of the seasons.

Hansen85 fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 30, 2020

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Yeah 6 is well at the bottom for me purely because Izel was even more poorly cast than Nathaniel imo. A lot of that might have been the wig though

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Here is a clickbait article about why Ward wasn't in the final season (they just didn't write him in at any point), but it did contain this tidbit which I really wish they had filmed and shown us:

Deke posted:

Ward on Deke's alternate timeline maneuverings: "So I think it was [writer] DJ Doyle that pitched a post-credits mini-scene that I was very sad that we didn't get to shoot, but we talked a lot about it, which was that: Somebody would walk into a S.H.I.E.L.D. office and there'd be the back of a chair, and it would spin around, and it was me with an eye patch… I don't know if Nick Fury is in this timeline or not. I think [Deke] can still see fine, but it's just about a power and cool thing."

That also would have been a great cameo for Dalton, as a top level SHIELD agent under Deke in the alternate timeline.

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-brett-dalton-reveals-why-no-ward-in-finale/

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

swickles posted:

Here is a clickbait article about why Ward wasn't in the final season (they just didn't write him in at any point), but it did contain this tidbit which I really wish they had filmed and shown us:

That also would have been a great cameo for Dalton, as a top level SHIELD agent under Deke in the alternate timeline.

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-brett-dalton-reveals-why-no-ward-in-finale/

This should be the spin off. DEKE AND WARD

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

swickles posted:

The person compiling this clickbait article did not do their research; that wasn't a planned scene for Grant Ward, it was a planned scene for Jeff Ward, aka Deke. (Source: Jeff Ward himself said it on one of Elizabeth Henstridge's livewatches)

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

That... was made pretty clear in the article...

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Sorry, I actually seem to have been the one who got confused, because you'd followed it up with "That would have been a great cameo for Dalton", and when I skimmed the article I just ctrl-Fed "ward" assuming the worst. Serves me right I guess!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

No problem, it gets confusing when a main character and the actor who plays another main character share the same name, especially in a show where another main character has four names to her own (Skye, Daisy, Quake, Mary Sue Poots).

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Tremmors

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
And yet another character whose actor's name is even more badass and memorable than the character's

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Just finished the last season. It wasn't very good and it was time for the show to end.

The chronorobots seemed incredibly loving stupid and incompetent considering all the resources they had. The big bad robotlady is finally defeated by....

...a drop kick from a lady in a vent. She's just sort of kicked out of frame and out of the show. lol

Then they upload empathy to the robots (somehow? By using a human sticking her hands in the robot interface and then powering her with energy rays from another lady and... and that just instantly makes the robots good guys. Oh.. ok? :psyduck:

Daisy blows up in a spaceship and is floating around in space but survives anyway. Ooook then, sure whatever at this point I've completely stopped caring.

The show had a few good seasons. And some bad ones. It was overall pretty enjoyable. :)

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 7, 2020

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
As someone who also just finished this season, it was very frontloaded and you can spot exactly the point where they ran out of money. Some of those props in the last couple episodes looked like they belonged on a '60's Dr Who episode.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Crashbee posted:

As someone who also just finished this season, it was very frontloaded and you can spot exactly the point where they ran out of money. Some of those props in the last couple episodes looked like they belonged on a '60's Dr Who episode.

:agreed:

Collapsing Farts posted:

Just finished the last season. It wasn't very good and it was time for the show to end.

The chronorobots seemed incredibly loving stupid and incompetent considering all the resources they had. The big bad robotlady is finally defeated by....

...a drop kick from a lady in a vent. She's just sort of kicked out of frame and out of the show. lol

Then they upload empathy to the robots (somehow? By using a human sticking her hands in the robot interface and then powering her with energy rays from another lady and... and that just instantly makes the robots good guys. Oh.. ok? :psyduck:

Daisy blows up in a spaceship and is floating around in space but survives anyway. Ooook then, sure whatever at this point I've completely stopped caring.

The show had a few good seasons. And some bad ones. It was overall pretty enjoyable. :)

Man, the Chronicoms were so dumb. None of that made sense.
Why go back just 100 years if you have a time machine? Go back 250 years and colonize The New World with Chronicoms; live in harmony with the native americans. gently caress, Enoch was here 30,000 years so go back then.
Or, go back in time and save your own drat planet, loving dumbasses.
For that matter, why Earth? There are countless other planets out there. And they are loving machines. They could live in a wide range of climates that would be impossible for humans. gently caress, go colonize Mars or Venus or something. I hear Pluto is nice.
Why were all Chronicoms converted into Hunters? You need other skills to thrive, y'all. Case in point: Enoch consistently outsmarted you because he refused the "upgrade".

I figured they uploaded Enoch into the Chronicoms since they said "friend, as I have always been". Kora's ill-defined powers being used to boost the transmission was just comic-book logic so I let that slide.

The last season was a fun ride but if you think about it too much, it is dumb. But I still enjoyed it very much and I'm sad to see it go, but glad it went out on its own terms.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s not gonna happen except for maybe Clark Gregg, but the whole main cast deserves to be put into more MCU stuff. They killed it and it’s probably why it ended up being as enjoyable as it was. They made Deke a good character for Christ sakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Did people really not like Deke? I liked him from the jump. He was great. Even if that "this guy is dressed just like Starlord" thing when he was introduced was kind of blah.