Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Hey guys how does king crimson work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33kAMeHVzBA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Carpator Diei posted:

I still can't get over the fact that the steel balls aren't even Stand abilities, nor any other sort of special power. Some people just came up with a method to do magic through creative application of Boules skills.
Don't forget Zombie Horse, which is literally just magic string that lets you reattach body parts.

Naples is elbow-deep in weird medical science sorcery.

EDIT: Also, SBR!Stroheim; just a cyborg chillin' in 1890.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 14, 2019

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Baron La Croix posted:

Is he a man of the jacuzzi or a man of the land...?
He's a man of the land,
He's into discipline.
Got a Bible in his hand
And a beard on his chin.
But if he finishes all of his chores
And you finish thine
Then tonight we're gonna party
Like it's

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I enjoy Parts 5 and 6, but neither really stuck the landing for me. I've never found Diavolo particularly compelling as a villain, and while Pucci's great the last third of Part 6 succumbs to power creep in a big way that undermines a lot of what I like about the series. Like okay, yeah, it's weird, weird's cool, but structurally it sacrifices a lot to get where it's going. Even contextualizing it as "The End" of the series (which it ultimately wasn't), it's never sat right with me, and I'm not talking about the ending.

But Jolyne's cool and I like Hermes and Foo Fighter a bunch, and I like how Pucci adds another layer to Dio.

Part 7 is almost a masterpiece but trips up a little near the end, though not as badly. That final fight is just too long, and High Voltage is a bit lacking as a plot element, though I'm a big fan of how it wraps up.

Part 8...I suppose I should reserve judgment until it's complete, but I haven't been feeling it. I didn't feel Part 4 on my first read either (nowadays I dig it), but my issue with Part 4 was different than the issues I have with Part 8.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, I was able to accept High Voltage in the end by virtue of how it rounds out Johnny's (and Lucy's) arc; I just wish it hadn't hijacked Diego in the process. On the other hand, I burst out laughing when I got to the part where his disqualification gave the win to Poco Loco.

I still like the final fight with Valentine overall, I just feel like there were bits here and there that could've been trimmed, specific sections that felt prolonged. The core developments were great, just the pacing might've been tighter.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Augus posted:

I dunno, Diego was still kinda a bad guy. He was much more sympathetic than DIO, sure, but he still wanted the corpse in order to rule over humanity and was only allied against Valentine out of necessity. He was more callous than outright cruel, but still. I accepted Alternate Universe Diego being more twisted and resembling DIO a lot more as being just because, well, he was a different Diego.
I mean, that's kinda my problem. Lemme explain.

As a point of reference, I'm actually a fan of classic Dio. Dio Brando's my favorite villain in Jojo, perhaps in all of fiction. Note that I said favorite, not "Best." If we're talking about villains who are the most fleshed-out or nuanced, well-written or believably complex, the only two Jojo antagonists who're really having this conversation are Kira Yoshikage and Funny Valentine. But Dio is my favorite, and I've got no bones with him being "Just" an evil dude (though he isn't) for reasons I'll get into some other time.

When Johnny has Valentine on the ropes, Valentine tries to make a deal with him: release me from the spin and I'll bring your friend back. Whether Valentine actually intended to do so is another matter (he didn't), but that's what he's offering. Johnny ultimately rejects this offer, explicitly on the grounds he can't trust Valentine (as proven by the gun trick), but I feel like thematically there's this understanding, deep down, that it wouldn't really be Gyro. Not his Gyro. Another Gyro from another world, possibly similar, but not the same friend he forged a relationship with. That Gyro is dead, and can never truly be replaced. I'm not sure if Johnny fully realizes it at the time (nor possibly Araki), but with Part 7 over it feels like a thematically consistent reading.

So Diego. Diego isn't Dio, though he's informed by Dio. He's his own character with his own goals and motives. Still a villain, still ruthless, but more grounded, more human. He's not the main antagonist, but he manages to foster a rivalry with Johnny. You know he's gonna be bad news because of course he is, but Part 7 does a good job selling him as a bad guy on his own terms and not just because he bears a resemblance to another bad guy we already know and love to hate. Then he dies, surprisingly early (all things considered), and while I was shocked, I was ultimately pretty okay with it (for several reasons which are probably beyond the scope of this conversation).

So when Valentine brings over Diego 2.0, while I understand it (kinda), it feels a little cheap. This isn't the same Diego we've built up a rivalry with. He's more of an obstacle than anything. A nasty one, to be sure, but the history, the relationship isn't there. Dude literally gets plucked from his own world and dropped in this one and it feels like a reckoning that just isn't there (which is also a problem some people have cited with recent film Endgame). It also feels a little pandering. Check it out, he's got The World! Siphoning some of that big bad guy energy away from Valentine.

As a final challenge, one last obstacle to overcome, High Voltage is fine on a structural level, but Diego not really being our Diego hurts it a little bit for me. He's effectively a new character stealing another character's thunder.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 5, 2019

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Begemot posted:

It seemed to me like High Voltage was kind of a cool-down arc or to be all fancy a denouement after the real climax, which was the D4C/Love Train/Ball Breaker arc. It was like a little bonus thing, it didn't carry the same stakes as what was immediately before, but it was fun in its own way, and it was cool to see Dio with The World again.
Yeah, I get that. It has a purpose, it's largely well-executed (especially the bit with Johnny and his dad), I've just never jived with Diego 2.0 for various reasons.

That said,

Begemot posted:

Also the way Dio got killed was just perfect.
absolutely.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

He cries to C-Moon, "If only, if only."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Weather Report making it rain poison arrow frogs.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's uneven.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Part 5 has a lot of underlying problems, Giorno and Diavolo both chief among them. When I call it uneven I'm thinking more fight-to-fight. It's actually a bit worse when viewed as a complete package. Polpo's an early highlight, and the Execution Squad is mostly (mostly) quality, but most of the other fights lack something, and even the assassins dip in the middle with Melone.

Part 6 is also uneven, fight-to-fight, though it's built on a stronger foundation. Jolyne's a great character, as is Pucci, but the final lap doesn't really do either of them much justice.

I do like the way Dio continues to be a thing, however. It's the sort of thing I feel like a lot of good versus evil stories ignore: just because the bad guy's dead doesn't mean all the evil they've done is magically fixed. Even in death, Dio casts a long shadow over the rest of the series. Part 4 probably illustrates this the best, despite being the most removed from the core plotline. Kira and Okuyasu's stories are only ever tangentially related to Dio's, but the role Dio plays in unintentionally setting them both up for their respective arcs suggests there may be countless others whose lives have been changed simply by passing proximity. In the end Dio becomes something bigger than himself, which is part of what I dig about him as a villain.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 15, 2019

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I don't hate Part 6's ending but I don't particularly like it either. It's an ending.

I'm of the opinion these are definitely 100% new people, however, and not the old character being allowed to "Live their best life" or whatever that means. Jolyne and friends are dead. These are just people who look like them.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Let's look on the bright side.

Hermes got to avenge her sister and F.F. got to complete her arc.

Anasui is dead.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bright side, Baal, bright side.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Parts 1-4 and 7 are what I usually think of when I think of Jojo.

Part 5 and 6 have their moments, but both are pretty heavily flawed.

Part 8 might be the only part I actively dislike, but I'm waiting it out to see how I feel about it when it's over.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

I was hating part 8 before milagro man and then as soon as milagro man ended I hated it again and didn't read it for three years so maybe catching up to it this separated from it will give me an appreciation for it

Also yeah Part 7 is the only post 4 part I hold with the regard I do the first four parts if not more sometimes
Part 7 had everything. Great characters, great art, great fights, and a great plot. It dragged its feet a little by the end, but otherwise it's probably the single strongest thing Araki's ever written, taken on its own merits.

Part 8 is awash with forgettable bad guys and automatic stands, a plot that might go somewhere (eventually), and a lot of sameface syndrome. I think it's telling I started off hating Joshu only for him to grow on me by virtue of having a character. He's real in a way a lot of other characters in Part 8 aren't, and I'd rather read a hundred of his bratty, bumbling misadventures than bother much more with these uninteresting rock people.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C55n2_EV5U

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'm a fair-weather fan of the Higashikatas but I can't help but feel like Araki's probably changed his mind two or three times regarding what their deal is supposed to be.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I read Part 3 before any other part (thank you, VIZ Media), and thought Dio was great. Then I read Part 1 and thought he was even better.

Dio doesn't do a whole lot in Part 3, true, but Araki nails making him feel like an ever-present force, and the few glimpses we're afforded into how he operates carry a lot of water. He's presented as something akin to a mythic figure, a devil who tempts with honeyed words. Men and women are willing to kill for him, yes, but die for him also, or at least live in fear of the repercussions of betraying him. Both Kakyoin and Polnareff recall him as a coldly comforting figure, and Avdol was overwhelmed with the need to flee at once. He reacts to Joseph's spirit photography (several times), philosophizes with Enya, coolly talks down Hol Horse, and inspires Vanilla Ice to kill himself, then the Joestars. These scenes, while short, are given weight, tension, and clearly communicate Araki's horror influence. He's the xenomorph from Alien, seldom seen but ever in our thoughts.

Then he's revealed at the top of the stairs, staring down Polnareff, and his opening gambit isn't to fight, but to tempt the Frenchman as before. He compliments him on his growth, congratulates him on avenging his sister, and seek to lull him into compliance. Even as Polnareff gathers the will to fight, Dio toys with him instead, using his powers to psych him out. It is only once the others arrive he moves to fight, and the fight that follows doesn't disappoint. So many iconic moments, as others have already pointed out.

What's more, as the fight drags on, Dio reveals more and more of his old personality. I didn't recognize it as his old personality at the time, but in retrospect that's absolutely what's happening. In Part 1 he was a punk who played at being sophisticated. By Part 3 he's mastered the performance, but as his power grows and his enemies dwindle, he can't help but indulge in his old vicious streak. All this, save the knowledge of his habits from Part 1, was evident on my first read-through.

Going back to Part 1, then (and then back back to Part 3), you get a sense for who Dio was before all this, and how the events of his life have defined him. It's not Shakespeare but there's an arc, both personal and thematic. Part 1 is very much a morality play, with Jonathan being the Good to Dio's Bad. In the end Jonathan gives his life to prevent Dio's corrosive influence from spreading further; so for Dio to return a hundred years later, his head grafted onto Jonathan's body, there's almost something obscene and unholy about it.

Diavolo makes a strong first impression with how he handles Sorbet and Gelato, but beyond that isn't given much to work with. He's too deep in the shadows to ever meaningfully interact with anyone, except when he's fighting them. There's no history there. His origins are shrouded in mystery and rumor, but we're never really allowed to peer past the veil. Nothing meaningful really comes from it. He's a powerful mob boss and an extreme recluse, and the latter almost seems in service of the former. Pretty much everything he does, he does to preserve his anonymity. He has the assassins killed because they were trying to uncover his identity, and he wants Trish killed because someone might trace her back to him. He rules through fear, allegedly, but I guess not enough since a sizable portion of his own people were actively trying to kill or replace him. Then he shows up and, well, it's not much. He's got a pretty powerful ability, but it's not attached to much of a character. The multiple personality thing could've been interesting, but it mostly ends up a vehicle to further obscure Diavolo's identity - and it doesn't help that Doppio's the more interesting (and entertaining) half of the duo by leaps and bounds, and rendered irrelevant before the final battle.

Diavolo ends up feeling like a cardboard cutout, a weird attempt at mixing Dio's reputation with Kira's motives, while lacking the elements that made those characters work. He's a threat to our heroes, but not much more than. We don't get much from him, and I can't say I'd care to.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Also for a dude whose main motivation is ostensibly trying to keep a low profile Diavolo sure doesn't dress like it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

In every episode to follow in every future season there will always be a background blink-and-you-miss-it Easter egg cameo of Diavolo getting killed somehow.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

They should do what Araki failed to and make him the traitor.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Giorno sits down to lunch with the boys, the bathroom door opens, the show cuts to black.

It's Polnareff.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'm done with Jojolion until it's over.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

To be clear, I don't mind the general insanity of whatever mystery Araki is (or isn't) cooking up. The dude's always been a seat-of-the-pants writer and honestly it's served him well.

But minute-to-minute the bad guys and the fights that accompany them have been pretty underwhelming for me. A lot of these rock people aren't interesting, and the overabundance of automatic stands removes a huge chunk of what I've always found engaging about the fights in previous parts.

I checked out around Blue Hawaii so maybe it's improved since then, and the weirdness will always be there, and maybe the mystery will pay off in the end (or self-destruct in spectacular fashion), by that doesn't instill me with the need to stay on top of things from one month to the next.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Raoh and Kenshiro were brought to life so yes thanks to Bohemian Rhapsody, Anime Is Real.
Not only were they briefly real, they faced off against one another as they did in the manga - as reported by various eyewitness sources.

Canonically, a lucky few got to experience one of the great shounen smackdowns firsthand. Then they died.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I've gotten more entertainment value from people disowning the Phantom Blood movie than I ever would have gotten from the movie itself.

By all accounts the only good thing to come out that production was Voodoo Kingdom, and we got that separately.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Here's a taste of the remedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MztTCT2PLC0

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

We already know every possible Valentine shares the same stand. If they keep him they can include some throwaway line about an assassination attempt, "Mr. President, I thought you were dead!" "Never better, actually," and turn it into foreshadowing.

Then when they reveal his powers later, the anime thread can go tinfoil hat crazy.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Iirc they don't? It's just that D4C lets Prime!Valentine take over a parallel self if he gets mortally wounded. D4C exists only in the prime dimension like the Holy Corpse.
For the purposes of my post (and the narrative) that's effectively a distinction without a difference. Whenever Valentine dies, D4C swaps him with another Valentine. Every Valentine we see is functionally identical; even when there are multiple Valentines, they all acknowledge D4C, and at no point do any of them let the concerns of their home dimension take priority over prime Valentine's.

Obviously with multiverse theory, there are an infinite number of dimensions, some so infinitesimally different (someone in the future has Fruit Loops for breakfast instead of Cinnamon Toast Crunch) that finding a Valentine who is otherwise perfectly interchangeable with the original would not be difficult, but the point stands: Fat Valentine dying and being replaced by Funny Valentine could work as foreshadowing if they decided to employ it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

When Josuke beats people up he beats the devil out of them.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I've been reading Witch Hat Atelier and recommended it to my sister (who doesn't read much manga) and we've been talking about it. She mentioned thinking Agott (a cold, austere girl) was being too mean to Coco (the more cheerful protagonist) and I assured her they became friends later, to which she responded, "She almost killed her!" and I realized I'm in too deep, because my first thought was "Man, it's manga, who hasn't tried to kill their future best friend?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sometimes you just need to almost murder someone before you realize they're the friend you've been missing.