Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Without looking much at this thread because spoilers, I just want to leave my opinion on Stone Ocean. Holy gently caress was it good! Jolyne was badass and the supporting cast was all great!

Some of the stuff feels like Araki learned his mistakes from Part 5. Stands mostly make sense, and solutions rarely feel like bullshit. We get way more interactions between characters. Pucci's ability is basically King Crimson, too. I mean, sure, he "fast forwards" time, but it's basically making him so fast that he can teleport behind you without you realising, which is essentially the same.

It's definitely the darkest part so far. Big flashback was loving terrifying in places, but there are also some great comedy moments. Annasui being REALLY PISSED that there wasn't an image of Mickey is great, but I also really enjoyed some small interactions, like "He's an idiot who drinks his own piss". Actually that dude was probably my least favorite both as a character and as a fight. Helps that his stupid stand was at least super chill, that was amusing.

I can't wait for the anime so we can hear DIO's beautiful voice again. It's weird how this part focuses on DIO so much, when we had the reveal that MC is his son in Part 5, and he was barely mentioned there. It's a good thing, of course. Glad to have him back, and happy that we got to see his chill side.

I've heard that this part is divisive, and I get that (especially with that ending), but I'm guessing it's all because it's an anthology series, where every entry just doesn't grab some people. If it's actually a majority's least favorite, I really don't get why. I think it's the part I've enjoyed the most so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I think the most bizarre thing about JoJo is that I'm pretty sure there are no Bowie references so far (Part 6). I know people like to joke about Kira being similar, but Araki's references are rarely that subtle. Homages are pretty drat noticable, from music titles to horror movie inspirations, so I'd feel like if Kira was meant to be Bowie, he'd have different pupils and would do "Heroes" pose constantly.
Unless I'm missing something or it's coming up, it's weird that the most JoJo man isn't actually in JoJo.

Pewdiepie posted:

Finally someone with taste.
thank you pewdiepie

Edit: not to derail everything into Part 6 ending discussion, but thinking about it now, I'm pretty sure that ending is quite fitting. Pucci was a dumbass who wanted everyone to know what happens, and blame every mistake on Fate. A bit of an abrupt ending (still more satisfying than Part 5's) is offputting, but maybe that new world is why we don't know what will happen to those people. No one determined their fate, not even the author, and that's pretty sweet in its own right.
Or maybe I'm reading way too much into this, I dunno.

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 22, 2019

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Kira is blatantly just David Bowie in a cool necktie, and there is a Bowie Stand in Part 7.

Good. It’d be strange if Araki didn’t like Bowie, considering how many styles he went through in his music career.
As for Kira, I’m pretty faceblind, so maybe there are some little things I didn’t notice that make him such an obvious reference. Also about Kira: Twin Peaks homage with hair turning white was fantastic, and a good choice, too. He looked so much better like that!

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I think what would really improve Part 5 is Diavolo loving dying back at Colisseum. Just gently caress off from the story. Let Doppio inherit his power, realize what's going on (as far as boss = dead) and go apeshit with King Crimson. Diavolo is interesting to think about, but he's never fun to see or hear. His second personality is better, his stand is better. His final arc sucks poo poo and feels like the least JoJo thing in JoJo. Yes, he is a coward and he hides, that's his thing. It makes sense. It's just not fun to have "final battle" where everyone's slowly walking. Not only that, when Diavolo actually gets out, he loving sucks. He punches his soul, which is not explained at all, and basically dies in the dumbest way.
Some people explained to me how The Sun Soul works, and sure, but it's not clever, funny, or creative. JoJo usually used one of those three things to do weird poo poo. Even when something didn't make sense, it was usually hilarious or cool-looking. Jotaro having The World powers? Sure, weird, but they explain it. Jotaro sucking in Enya's stand? Who gives a gently caress it's hilarious. Punching a soul because it's kind of like a lightbulb because Requiem is kind of a shadow and appears in different places? Well, maybe it would've worked better if we saw characters' thought process, but it just sucks.
Neither Giorno nor Diavolo are really that creative or funny. It's just "I win because bug or snake"
Overall the part rules though.

And NOW onto Part 7. People say it's alright, I hear.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
So, I've started SBR.
Started is a wrong term, perhaps, since I read all the way to Green Tombstone (part 2)
It's really cool so far! Gyro and Johnny are both fantastic, although I don't get why Gyro isn't a JoJo, since he's basically the main character. I'm also really into the main story, which feels far more coherent and tense than previous parts.

I will say, not a fan of stand battles so far. They're not bad, and I've enjoyed them, but after Part 6 they feel a bit lacking. Takes me a while to remember all of them, and there weren't even that many! Hope things improve on that front, because even stand users were pretty drat great! Well, maybe not Boom Booms.

It's also weird seeing Araki embracing androgyny way more. Feels like it should've happened a long while ago. Mrs. Robinson is the biggest example of that, so far. It's neat! Glad to see gay energy is present in this part too, especially in some covers!

Also, what's the deal with The Corpse? I mean, unless there's a twist, it's just Jesus, right? Is there a reason for why it's never said and characters act so dumb? It's really different from other parts, because Jojo usually doesn't do "obviouls to reader, but characters aren't aware of it" type of thing.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Guess it makes sense.
Speaking of dinosaurs, I'm very surprised at how normal Dio is in this part. Aside from dinosaur shenanigans (which wasn't even his fault) the only outright lovely thing he's done was throwing some rocks at Gyro's horse. I really like Araki playing with readers' expectations like that. Compared to Dio from Part 1 this dude's a saint. Hell, he even jokes and wanted to drink some coffee. Pretty sure original Dio hasn't done anything remotely human-like. Still, I'm certain that he's a giant piece of poo poo, even if not DIO-caliber. Waiting for it to become completely obvious.

I hope Scary Monsters isn't his Stand (or at least his only ability) because it kinda sucks. Don't get me wrong, Dio is a loving dinosaur and it's hilarious, but when the heroes fought the omnipresent bomb and a time-rewinding rear end in a top hat, so one raptor (or even a bunch of them) pales in comparison.

Also the biggest mystery of this part for me is Valentine himself. I mean, I've seen him. I know how he's supposed to look like, so what the gently caress is that.
Also I wonder if his stand can control time somehow. On one hand I kinda want the tradition to continue, on the other, we've already seen one, and I want to see what new overpowered thing Araki can come up with.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Ok now Dio turned lice into dinosaurs and wants Manhattan, so he rules again. It's not like he wasn't great before, just compared to DIO he seemed to be even below some stand users in terms of his presence.
Also, does he just eat rocks? I'm pretty sure he swallowed some before being turned into a dinosaur, and he did use that for his advantage later, iirc.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Got past Sugar Mountain, Tatoo You and finally Tubular Bells.
Holy gently caress. And here I was thinking Stone Ocean was peak weird poo poo.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Jesus, SBR sure does many things better than every previous part. From its antagonists' motives to tension and meaningful flashbacks.
God, the first chapter of Dirty Deeds was downright terrifying.

Lucy is a bit strange, though. People usually joke about animes having "1000 year old demons who look like 12 year old girls", yet Araki has the opposite issue. Lucy looks and acts like she's at least 20, so I don't really get why he made her 14 to begin with. I get that other parts had high schoolers because it's a shonen series, so we had characters like Jotaro and Giorno, whos age is just funny to think about, but that's not the reason here.
It's just all so loving weird, because it's not usual "anime creepy", but instead it's "creepy for the right reasons in context but maybe you could've made character older if she's half naked". I dunno if it's a big derail thing that happened in this thread a thousand times, so if it did, welp, sorry.

Love the transformation of Valentine into what he is now, though. No twists, just good old Josuke-style change of how he looks like.

God, how is there more than a third of this part left.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Here's a dumb question: do we know when Jojolion is supposed to end, at least in theory?
I'd rather wait until it's complete before I read it, but if it's clearly endgame I might start right after SBR. The only thing I know about the part is the meme about the fact that it's still not clear who the antagonist is, which is worrying.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
There's one thing I know about Part 6. I'm on the train arc, btw.
Well, I'm not certain, but the memes spoil that Gyro dies.

I know some people were sad about Ceasar or Avdol dying, but I legit think I might cry if this happens. He's one of the best characters in jojo!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

e3: ahhhh we're being chased by dinosaurs that will tear you apart by touching you, ahhhh we're buried under mud and surrounded by dinos that are burning us, ahhhey johnny have you heard about the golden rectangle, I drew it in the dirt. pyramids. egypt. greece. mona lisa.
I love how Johnny starts seeing the rectangle everywhere. I imagine a video game lock-on sound effect every time it happens.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Dragon's Dream was probably the worst fight of Part 6 but the stand is loving hilarious. Just a weird talkative rear end in a top hat, love him.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Well, me and bf finished SBR. Since Son of Thunderbeast also finished it, I'm not going to put a giant wall of spoilers, since it's the manga thread, anyway.

I liked it! I will say, it's not my favorite part, and I've enjoyed it less than Stone Ocean (can we not do unfunny jokes about this, please?). Perhaps it has to do with hype, maybe with time period, or some darker scenes. I can't stand sexual assault in media, and some of Lucy's scenes were loving disturbing. Yeah, that's the point, but still.

Gyro is the best Jojo and what a shame about his fate. Dude was hilarious and amazing! Johhny was good, and felt like a more competent take on Giorno. Pretty serious dude who went through hell, but not an empty shell that barely appears in his part. I know some people like Giorno, but him and Diavolo were probably the weakest characters in Part 5. I will say, I don't buy his dad's change of heart. He just wants a popular son, and I can easily see him not caring for Johnny much after he didn't win.

Stand battles, I think, were a bit worse than previous parts overall. When the anime comes out (let's not kid ourselves, with how popular jojo is, it's not an "if"), I might change my mind though. Don't get me wrong, battles were good, but I suppose I'm used to them being more funny. There were some really memorable ones, though! The SOUNDMAN (the reveal of his name was hilarious), Scary Monsters, D4C and The World especially. Everything around the battles, though, was amazing! Character interactions, characters themselves, the race...

Diego was a bit meh. He was never in control of the situation and was just kind there. That Dio would never kick a dog. That said, Diego 2: the return of Dio loving RULED. My bf even liked him more than DIO! God, what a fight. I would gush about The World, too, but I was spoiled on that, unfortunately... While it wasn't as good of an arc as with Jotaro, it definitely made more sense. I'm perfectly fine with Jotaro having the same kind of stand, but having Johhny trailing him underground was much more clever. His defeat was also way more badass. Instead of a punch, but, like, really strong, his head just loving exploded!

Valentine as a villain was neat! I particularly enjoyed the fact that he just changed in one scene. I'm going to guess most people see his appearance change as him being from different dimension, but I'm pretty sure he went from a fat shortie to a muscular tall man in one scene. I've seen people here discuss that some readers actually agree with him, and it doesn't surprise me. He reminded me of Armstrong from Metal Gear Rising, whose views are also supported by some fans. Ultimately they talk about America, but nothing really beyond that. They contradict themselves, and hide their selfishness behind patroitism.
I really like Valentine's last speech because it perfectly showcased that he actually sucks. "I don't want power, I just want uhhhh power, but like for our country. gently caress those other ones, it's ok that we'll essentially curse them forever". The scene when he started speaking in emoji was one of this Part's highlights. "GUARANTEE OK"

This post is way too long, but I want to mention something else. I think that media could learn a lot about humor from Jojos. It's so natural, and feels like a breath of fresh air in gag-filled world. It never lingers on a joke, there are barely any actual punchlines and it never expects you to laugh at certain places. Something I hate about modern comedies is that they have such clearly defined jokes, that it almost becomes stale. They aren't vowen into the plot or dialogues naturally, they're just there. When they land, good. If they don't, it's just nonsensical cringy bullshit. With jojo, most of its gags that you can easily ignore. Like in The World's arc, Johhny and Dio get arrows pointed at them when the character is far away, but the arrows persist even when it's incredibly clear that yeah, it's a bigass Johnny on the panel. Another example is a bunch of those short clone guys who run around throughout the arc helping with the race.
Sure, there are actually comedic arcs, but even those don't feel so in your face. Hell, even in the Oingo Boingo part, the punchline is just spoiled for us, so that we could enjoy character interactions way more.
I think one of my favorites is Dio having a heart in his skull. Trying to find a picture of that once, I learned that a lot of people consider it to just be his amulet shown on x-ray. And sure, if you want to take that more seriously, more power to ya! If you want to concentrate on dramatic "adventure" and not "bizarre" part, you can do it. For me, though, Jojo is like the funniest comedy I've seen.

Anyway, while SBR is not my favorite, it was loving amazing, and I can't wait for Jojolion, because that one seems very weird.

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Nov 24, 2019

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
It's named after Electric Six' Danger High Voltage

GimmickMan posted:

For all of my gripes with Part 7, once they get off that train it's amazing all the way to the end.

Yeah, I wasn't really sold on a giant last battle at that point. Thank god Araki proved me wrong.
Also it's really cool to see that he just loves drawing weird poo poo. Previous parts didn't really have this amount of body horror, iirc. Here we have flesh spewing, bodymorphing, cube-snatching, layer rotating... I feel like in previous parts violence was more realistic, with faces cut off and chest holes, and here he just said "gently caress it, I want to draw some hosed up bodies"

Edit: oh, also the irony of Dio with exploded head but fairly intact body is pretty nice, considering that in Part 1 he lost everything but his head.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
A thing I forgot to mention about Part 7, but I think one of my favorite gags is Magenta giving Steel the ruler to hold so he could shoot him right.
You see that Magenta shot through the ruler in a later scene, which means Steel actually loving held it up while being shot

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
So, I started reading Jojolion. I'm guessing I don't need to put it under spoilers because what I'm reading was published in like 2012 and no one wants a wall of black bars.
What the gently caress. Jojo was always bizarre, but that aspect of it definitely shines much more once Araki does actual long-form mysteries, and not just stand battles that are explained quickly enough.
I stopped at the part where Josuke learns about the magical soil and himself being split.
I've heard some people describing certain events of Part 7 as Araki playing with your expectations, but Jojolion is full-on trolling.

Here are some thoughts in no particular order:

Kira's mention, his hands, Killer Queen and fetish photos were essentially just a reference to gently caress with your head. Yeah, him being gone is debatable, but still. Of course the bigger question is who's the second part of Josuke, and his true name. After all, dude's named after a dog, and hosed up family. Still, weird to see this mystery wrapped up so early. I feel like in any other media this split person deal would've been an endgame revelation.

I like how it uses Higashikata name to lure you into thinking they're good guys. I mean, they might not be the worst, but every single one seems like a loving rear end in a top hat. I can sorta understand Daiya, since she's blind and lives among creeps, but Norisuke being like "oh poo poo, sexual assault is happening! Ah well, that might be for the best" definitely points to him being at the very least a minor villain.

Obviously I've heard some things about this part before reading and I'm surprised that it seems like I've already encountered them all. I've heard names of Kira and Killer Queen among with other references to characters, and I've seen Part 8 stage in Eyes of Heaven. The other ones are just little things like "That dog!" panel and something about 89 years old which seems to be The Meme here.

It's weird to see Araki drawing nudity, but it almost seems like a hosed up joke too, since it's never actually sexy and leads to something terrifying.

It seems Josuke and Yasuho will have a romantic sub-plot, and while I usually would be against it, they're actually kinda cute together because, as with most characters in Jojo, they're loving dipshits.

Another thing I've heard is that it's unclear who the main villain is, and I think it's a stupid conversation to have when Joshu is right there.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Part 6 is still my favorite

So, I got through Love Love Deluxe.
Jesus Christ.
This I'll put under spoilers because I don't really know how far I am.
So, thoughts in random order:

Norisuke is a bad guy and his stand probably has more abilities because otherwise it loving sucks.

I appreciate the Bug Facts given to me throughout the gambling part. Jobin's kinda scary.

Rock People encyclopedia is the funniest poo poo and I honestly wish there were more pages with random facts about them.

It's not a secret to anyone, but I like that Araki really likes to draw hosed up bodies. Part 7 was especially weird in that regard, but here we have Puzzley King Nothing, various transformations and Rock Humans

I really hope that Kira just trolled the surfer with "are you a man of the land or a man of the sea" and the guy just ate his fingers for no reason.

Not sure how to feel about Tsurugi. They act like a child for a second and then turn into a weird perverty spy. Maybe it's just Araki not knowing how to write children (again, if we took out the ages from manga, who the gently caress is gonna think that Giorno is 15 and Lucy is 14?)

That Dog! loving rules and barely looks like anything which I'm sure is a joke at this point. There were covers featuring Iggy, and he finally looks like a dog, after all.

Going to just believe that Josuke is Josefumi because Araki rarely does fake-outs, which leads me to believe that this is why Jojolion isn't one mystery, but like a hundred of them.

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 22, 2020

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

overmind2000 posted:

Probably not, it seems like a thing that was only there to explain how Josuke has a birthmark if Kira's body is still intact.

Well, Josuke did get two extra balls from Kira (uless Josefumi already had 4 balls and for some reason it's a twist I haven't read up to)

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Welp, I caught up with Jojolion.
What the gently caress.

At least now I understand the 89 year old meme. I can just imagine Araki giggling every time he wrote it.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I feel like I like Jojolion more than quite a few people here. Read some posts about it from way back, and it never occured to me that this is a bad mystery or that Josuke is boring. I don't think I would've liked to spend 100 chapters with a guy going "who am I" and barely getting anywhere. Rokakaka is weird, but I like it because instead of a singular villain, we have different factions with their own motives. Some stuff isn't explained or got dropped, and that's annoying, sure. The biggest one is Norisuke being loving creepy in the beginning, but unless he has some secret plan, it seems he and Josuke are getting along well. Smaller things are expected, since it's Araki, and he can just change his mind and go with weirder poo poo.

somepartsareme posted:

Anyway, we sure don't get panels like this anymore huh?
Part 7 had some like this, where during Valentine's Big Speech almost every bubble had weird emoticons. "GUARANTEE OK" loving slayed me. And while there's not many gags like that, Araki is wonderful at visual humor. Doctor Wu, as loving creepy as he was, made me laugh a lot. First you see the "DOCTOR" scribbled on his badge, but then it zoomes out to show he's got two, and the next panel reveals the third one on his back.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Oh my loving god, I just realized that Gappy decided to get hosed up by the rain to get to the hospital and cheat the whole dangerous chase bullshit! I know this is probably obvious, but I just assumed that was his way of prolonging and getting out of the whole situation.
He's a good jojo, and I can't wait to see what sorta crazy bullshit comes next!

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I love Part 6 because, well, first off, I like the ending. It reminds me of Lynchian melancholic happy endings. But also I think it's the funniest part, considering Araki pretty much decided that stands can affect the whole world now, so we get some REALLY dumb poo poo.
I can see how people might dislike it, but I think everyone can agree that Jolyne loving rules.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

TheLoneStar posted:

We can all at least agree that Part 6 hosted the worst Stand battle in JoJo history, Dragon's Dream, right?

Nah, that one has chill-rear end dragon and "he's an idiot who drinks his own piss" line. There are worse, that's for sure. I never enjoyed Superfly and Boys II Men, personally. But if we're talking absolute worst, I feel like it's probably Alessi. I will agree that Part 3 has some of the weaker ones, due to pacing or having nothing going for them except for concept. There was no reason to spread the gamer arc across three episodes, considering the F-Mega part kinda had nothing going for it. Strength was a good idea, but the tone was all over the place.
Part 5 also kinda suffers from Giorno pulling the solution from his rear end. Jotaro sucking in Justice was at least funny (and it also happened in a comedy episode), compared to two episodes ending with lol bricksnake cloneturtle

And yeah, Jotaro is a dry protagonist, but after later parts he retroactively got better because it's so much clearer that he's just a weird awkward teen

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Mar 23, 2020

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
So we've talked about the worst stand fight, but how about the best?
I think nothing came close to DIO's World. Almost every frame of it is perfect and almost every second is hilarious. The World and Star Platinum being the same never bothered me, and I'm surprised more people don't talk about the actual worst part of the fight: DIO's death. Three other villains are essentially in hell, but the worst person was just punched hard.
Still, from knives to Jotaro in the sewer, DIO's skull heart and various other things it's just so full of weird poo poo, I love it.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

BaDandy posted:

Things I can't wait to see animated in Part 6:

C-Moon where you see gravity start to shift.
Green Baby
Time gradually going faster and faster
Spider Man

Totally. I love how Araki just decided to gently caress up the whole universe somewhere along the way and made some of the most insane stands. They're really good too, and don't just feel like weird bullshit that's resolved in a half-assed way.
Honestly, aside from Dragon's Dream I can't remember a single bad fight in Part 6. It's just real loving good weird poo poo all the way

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Part 3 had some pretty bad fights in it, but thinking about it some more, it also had some loving incredible ones. Many were mentioned here, but it also had the best comedy characters. You had Hol Horse, Oingo Boingo, Enya... Oingo Boingo in particular is one of my favorite episodes, and I'm super happy Araki just spoils the punchline right at the start so that the focus can be on all the other hosed up poo poo happening in that chapter.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Couldn't sleep today, so decided to check the 1993 OVA with my bf, and I was pleasantly surprised.
It's a bit more slow, but overall really sold.
I can see why people like some stuff from DIO's World way more! It's way better paced and at times better-looking. A shame that they went for more serious tone, so stuff like Jotaro in the sewers, Al Yancovich, DIO's insane-rear end lean back, skull heart, etc. were cut. His voice was also super weird! Still, it was nice to see a different interpretation of some of those scenes

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Gotta say, I loving love this arc so far. It seems like a (more?) competent successor to the Chariot Requiem "chase", except with The World-level mystery and dumb-rear end Looney Tunes ability. It's insanely dumb, yet incredibly terrifying, and it's loving amazing.
Now I just hope it doesn't end in a wet fart much like Chariot Requem's arc did, with one character figuring out the weakness off-screen, doing some poo poo and voila.

So Rai is just using Kira's tactics of annoying a man so hard that he almost kills himself, I guess? Not sure what the gently caress even happened there.

I'll agree with everyone who's suspicious of Tooru, because, I mean, look at that loving guy. The first time he appears this chapter we see a close up on his dead empty eyes. There are some contradictions, of course, but the pessimist in me also remembers the whole "Norisuke wants Josuke to be his slave" situation that just went nowhere. I'll fight "Araki forgot lol" meme to death, but he changes his mind a lot, and there are quite a few mysteries that went nowhere. I can see it all being a red herring, but I honestly don't know what I'd want more. On one hand, him being the villain who decided to go against himself a few times earlier in the story is shoddy writing, but on the other I just hate his loving face and want someone to punch him.

Brought To You By posted:

So the stand is visible to normal people as well? Because an entire conference room saw the head doctor unless the Tooru's stand just conveniently took the form of an 89-year old man with a slight limp.
While not remotely the same, Strength and some other stands were visible, too.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

chase should also have been the op for the third arc, great days blows

Bad opinion.

I honestly think chase doesn't fit well with anything really. It's a very serious OP for -any- arc of JoJo. I actually started liking the song, mainly due to Jonathan Young's cover (I still quite dislike original singer's voice), but I still can't get over how cold and grey that opening is. That's the period of the show where Mikitaka shows up, iirc.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

The Bee posted:

I can't think of Chase as gritty because it just sounds like the soundtrack to a Japanese Tony Hawk game to me.
Oh I was mainly talking about the visuals during the OP. All grey and dark. The song itself doesn't come close to even The End of the World, which felt way more menacing at parts.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

I mean it could be worse, it could be sono chi no kioku
Ok, if you're not trolling here, I wanna hear all your (wrong) opening opinions.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Very speedwagon-y I like it

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Agoat posted:

If something bad happens... thank you for introducing me to my favorite anime, y'all.

Same here. Hell, it even somewhat helped my boyfriend with his dysphoria. Seeing all the crazy bullshit fashion Araki thinks of led to him not care about how he looks and even try on some more androgynous stuff inspired by this series. :shobon:

Also, gently caress you Lowtax, you piece of poo poo.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Just read the chapter and holy gently caress I love this Rock Human encyclopedia thing that's going on in Part 8.
That said, really hope the actual "battle" that's happening in the present picks up, because it's just two people trying to stay still and a lovely creature between them.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Definitely starting to understand how people who were reading Jojolion for years don't like this part.
I've got to calamity arc without any interruption and now that new content is released minimum once a month I'm realizing I don't remember or understand anything anymore. I'll reread it eventually, sure, but for now even reading this discussion makes me confused.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

The Bee posted:

I thought thanks to the anime, Part 5 was considered cool and good now.

I haven't read the manga and caught up with Jojo when it was airing, but I liked most of it. Unfortunately I think it suffers from doing barely anything with its new cool characters (that doesn't include Giorno and Diavolo, because they aren't even cool), and just sorta ending in a sea of asspulls without any conclusion.
Some fights are brilliant, but others are a bit incomprehensible. That's fine because Jojo at its weird dumb bullshit is entertaining, but even then, I thought the whole final arc was just insane slow tedium.
It's kinda hard for me to judge earlier parts because I went into them with different expectations, but out of Parts 3-7, I think it's my least favorite.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

multijoe posted:

To be fair to him, Giorno winning because of a load of confidently stated nonsensical bullshit is pretty much his thing. Why expect a statisfying conclusion after an entire arc of 'actually because of animals I win now, bye'?

Yeah, some of those are a bit out there, but those moments also don't last for entire arcs. Jojo can be stupid, but it's either for comical effect, or just to be cool, the latter of which it usually explains fairly alright. Everything that happens from the moment we start smelling souls, up until Rolling Stones is just dumb. The series where battles are often won through logic and 4D chess not only pulls so much out of its rear end that it becomes impossible to follow, but also doesn't explain the only thing it needed to. How hard would it be to rewrite the "chase" so that the conclusion of "It's a shadow that gives each of us a light therefore its actual placement is unknown" (I may be forgetting some specifics) would come gradually and had explanation? Instead we have a boring villain who screams about a soul and punches an invisible lightbulb. Everything feels like Araki actually wrote himself into a corner.
The moments where Mista tries to adjust Trish's underwear and the like don't help.
And then we cut to a much better story of all these characters finally spending some time together, which was a breath of fresh air. But enough of that, credits roll.

I know many people consider Part 6 to be weaker, and I honestly can't understand why. I don't think anything before or since has been this bad. A few sub-par battles, sure, but not entire climactic arcs where poo poo just happens all around for no reason.

Speaking of, can't wait for Part 6 aka best part to be animated :colbert:

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Right, that's my problem with Gold Experience. Every other JoJo power, it feels like they just genuinely thought of a clever application of their stand, and that had you thought about it, you could have come up with it too.

But Gold Experience is so vague, you never get the sense of "Giorno could win if he just did X". It's why it's a universal rule that the most interesting stands are the ones with clearly defined rules. "Crazy Diamond can return anything to a previous state but it can't heal Josuke himself or bring things back from the dead" etc.

Well, that's not exactly true. We had a lot of asspulls and weird resolutions, like Star Finger. Their difference is that they're usually used in a comedic or fairly boring fight. Jotaro sucking in Enya's Justice seem to annoy a lot of people, but honestly, he already won. He did the dumbass "Qtaro" thing, and could've easily just punched an old woman, Araki just thought of a funnier scenario.
Hermit Purple is another example. A stand used for one thing that can be achieved via smashing a highly specific camera is a funny gag, but it can only work once. Therefore we get television predictions, maps out of nowhere and self x-ray. Araki didn't forget, he just chose to expand the power and allow it more weird uses.

Giorno's power at first suffers from Hermit Purple's everchanging nature, which is much worse because he's the main character. Later on, he's at his best when the fight actually revolves around him. Killing a tree is a pretty cool move, turning cars into frogs is hilarious, and bullet-tree and bullet-beetle are fine. Hell, his best fight is probably against Ghiaccio, because his stand is limited there!
He is the loving worst when used as deus ex machina. There are fights that barely involve him, like The Man In The Mirror or Clash and Talking Head, where he basically just comes at the end of someone else's struggle with a miracle solution. It's basically that one thing that Araki hates the most: when someone in a desperate situation is suddenly rescued. He used the trope a few times, sure, but even with the most notable example, Polnareff, characters suddenly coming to help him was a part of his arc. Sure, Giorno is still somewhat nearby and he THINKS of a solution, but it ends up feeling like that one famous tweet:

"Well, I'd like to see ol Fugo wriggle his way out of THIS jam!
*Giorno comes out from the shadows and wriggles his way out of the jam easily.
Ah! Well. Nevertheless,"

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I really hope the next chapter will be the end of Calamity. I liked it a lot, but I feel like if they pull something else out of nowhere, I'm going to be annoyed.
Previously thought Joshu would want to gently caress up Tooru, so that plane part would fall on him instead, and while it's still a possibility, I'm thinking Tooru will get loving shot before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Dragon's Dream might benefit from animation for me. I dunno if it's because I haven't read a lot of manga or what, but it felt way too confusing, even when I understood the concept.
I really like the chill-rear end stand itself, that was hilarious. Part 6 is just weird as gently caress and I love it!