Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Carpator Diei posted:

I still can't get over the fact that the steel balls aren't even Stand abilities, nor any other sort of special power. Some people just came up with a method to do magic through creative application of Boules skills.
On a similar vein, I always forget that Gyro only has/uses a Stand for like, five minutes in the entire Part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Begemot posted:

He has TWO stands, at different times, for a total of five minutes.

Never forget Ball Breaker!
I actually WAS thinking Ball Breaker. Completely forgot about his second Stand. I really need to reread Steel Ball Run...

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

The only major problem with Jolyne is she's stuck in Stone Ocean. She deserved a better Part.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Alternate Diego Brando is great because he sounds like something out of a Steel Ball Run fanfic but in the best possible way.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Expect My Mom posted:

I cannot for the life find where Hermes goes "Jolyne, some weird poo poo is going on!" which kills me

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Expect My Mom posted:

ultraman, astroboy
Aren't they more lax with cameos and blatant reference in anime?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I can deal with Gyro dying, but the kid he was trying to save dying of a cold was just unnecessary.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I like JoJolion overall, but at the same time I'm kind of ready for it to just end already. Araki pretty blatantly rewrote where the main story was going to go at least once, and it feels like the endgame has been around the corner for at least two or three years, but it just never happens. And this is usually because some Rock Human or other similar figure gets introduced right out of nowhere to stand in the protagonists' way. Not to mention Josuke has just kind of become another Giorno.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Yinlock posted:

Josuke still beats Giorno because his power is still consistent despite how bonkers busted it is unlike giorno's "just does whatever"
I meant more that Josuke is just really loving boring now. I miss the charm he had early on in the story.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

The anime really isn't shifting my opinion on Diavolo sucking.
This with the addition of Giorno. 7 Page Muda aside, it's amazing how painfully boring this kid is.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Aurora posted:

and no i don't really care about the 'they're free of the joestar bloodline curse now!!!' ending bs either
It's worse because from what I recall it's not even a real "curse", more like a contrived coincidence. It doesn't help that DIO and this "curse" aren't even prominent in half of the Parts from the original JoJoverse. It's really only Parts 1, 3, and 6.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Expect My Mom posted:

what? the events of Part 2, 4 and 5 are all set in motion by DIO.

- Because of the events of Part 1, Speedwagon became a rich explorer, finding the site of Pillar Men, where Straits betrayed them forcing Joseph into action
- Because of DIO giving the arrow to Papa Nijimura and Papa Kira, Stand Users are now popping up in Morioh. Kira wouldn't be the danger that he is without the exploding cat girl ghost.
- Because of DIO loving a woman in 1989, Giorno exists at all.

because of DIO, none of the Joestars have peaceful idyllic lives, they now have periods in their life rife with conflict and loss. like even without butterfly effecting this, DIO has had a MASSIVE effect over the last hundred years of the Joestar family
Like I said, it's more contrived coincidences. DIO didn't mean for any of the bad things in Parts 2, 4, or 5 to even happen. They aren't fighting against DIO, they're fighting against people completely unrelated to him. And Giorno is a bad point since he's a positive influence on the world in general.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I'll reiterate this "curse" isn't a concrete thing, just a bunch of coincidences. It can just as easily just...stop on its own. It didn't really need the entire Universe, save one kid, to die off for it to end.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Expect My Mom posted:

if DIO had said "CURSE YOU JONATHAAAAAAN" like it's the end of ocarina of time as he dies in jonathan's arms help this? would that make it feel like a real curse then?
No, but making it something tangible, or making it any kind of central theme before Part 6 would've been nice.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Tetracube posted:

DIO's curse? what curse? even as a figurative curse, it doesn't make sense. are the characters happy now? it seems like all that happened was they didn't go to prison and not-jolyne got set up with an even shittier boyfriend.
It's even worse because it's not like the characters we grew to know and love are happy. They're loving dead. It's these bootleg version of the characters that give to live happy lives.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Darko posted:

DIO does practically nothing in 3 outside of being an unseen guy in the shadows until the very end, which is basically what Diavolo is. They have about the same level of personality in their respective parts; people just use fond memories of Dio Brando to inform DIO.
DIO's fight with Jotaro by itself makes him ten times better than Diavolo.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

multijoe posted:

There's nothing really to suggest the SBRverse is the new universe created at the end of Stone ocean, it's just a reboot
I think Araki even explicitly states the SBRverse was its own thing and has no connections to what happened in Stone Ocean.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Getting to see the Stand battles in full color and motion was pretty cool, but the anime didn't change my mind on Giorno being the worst JoJo by a nautical mile. Honestly the entire main group is kind of a snore outside of memes and the like, barring Bucciarati.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Aurora posted:

the ending sucks

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Also it felt super rushed (which apparently it was?).
Well, yes, that's Made in Heaven's power.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Brought To You By posted:

That's final boss material if I've ever seen it.
But it can't mess with time.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Johnny Joestar posted:

d4c had nothing to do with time so anyone still parroting that poo poo is barking up the wrong tree
Different timelines.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Yeah, sure the space thing is prevalent, but the timeline aspect still involves loving about with time. Just not in the more direct fashions like stopping it or reversing it.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Expect My Mom posted:

Not really? Valentine hopping around timelines never seems to have any repercussions on the universes he visits. Pulling DIO out of his universe doesn't change any future. He can't choose to visit different times in those universes, just the present. Like it's not some Avengers Endgame thing, I wouldn't call anything Valentine does messing with time.
Just because he isn't destroying timelines or whatever doesn't mean it isn't still meddling about with space and time. You really can't go off visiting timelines and not say you aren't fiddling with time itself, even if it's just taking a person or thing from that timeline. And then of course, as CJ pointed out, the alternate Diego is the true final boss of Steel Ball Run anyway, and he just has his own The World.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

What will we do to fill the anime void until Steel Ball Run gets animated?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

overmind2000 posted:

But they've already seen Giorno :v:
All the most intelligent JoJo fans realize that Giorno is actually Jonathan's son as he spawned from his balls.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

multijoe posted:

It's an absolutely horrific power that should be used against anyone, though it really does speak to Giorno's personality that given unlimited power he develops a Stand that lets him be Old Testament God and sentence those he deems unworthy to eternal damnation.

God what a loathsome character.
There are a lot of reasons to hate Giorno, but honestly what Gold Experience Requiem does is pretty low on the list. Though honestly I feel there are a lot of villains in JoJo that deserve that fate much more than Diavolo.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Improbable Lobster posted:

Say what you will about Diavolo's death but Enigma guy got it Kars level bad
And it's weird because aside from going after Josuke's mom, he didn't do anything all that worse compared to pretty much any other villain in that part. Yet for some reason he got one of the very worst punishments. Heck, he didn't even hurt Josuke's mom, just trapped her in a paper.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Yinlock posted:

yes because josuke stopped him
No, the mom was merely bait. That aside he did nothing worse than most of the enemy Stand Users in that part.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Hemingway To Go! posted:

hm why would josuke be so mad at a rapist who tried to kill his mom, hm idk
We're talking about Terunosuke getting an overly severe punishment, not Angelo.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I think part of why I don't like the infinite death loop is Diavolo being murdered by that addict with the coat, no doubt high on Diavolo's own drugs, was a great ending for him. He got killed by some nobody because of the very drugs that Diavolo himself indirectly provided him. Then it just gets ruined.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

I see trees of green

Red roses too

I see them bloom

For me and you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtWBqB0_aTA

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The blood is gone, their destiny lifted. They can finally rest.
In the cold hard ground because they're loving dead. Hurray for them.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I always forget Anasui exists, despite the ever-famous "That poo poo ain't Disney" line and generally being the most entertaining member of the main group besides Jolyne.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

grieving for Gandalf posted:

just watched a YouTube video theorizing that it's Josuke whose Stand will evolve into King Crimson and I'll be honest, I would mark out if that were true
What if he went into explicit detail on how exactly it worked?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I can't believe someone would insult Araki by comparing JoJo to Hunter x Hunter like that.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

NickRoweFillea posted:

Part 6’s ending sours the whole part
But yeah, JoJo really took a major dip in quality for both 5 and 6. All Vento Aureo had going for it was top quality fights with the worst main group in the series.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I'm still baffled that people still defend Part 6's ending and even consider it a happy ending when it involves literally the entire cast save for one kid dying.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Augus posted:

they all come back as marginally different versions of themselves living much happier lives and emporio rides off into the sunset with them
the ending of hamlet this ain’t
No, they're all dead. The people at the very end aren't the characters "coming back", they're completely new people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

I had a dawning realization towards the 3/4 point of the anime that no, it wasn't the bad translation that made this all terrible.