Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Player Applications are now closed, see you in the Sunshine State :sun:

THE GAME

Twilight 2000 Version 1 is a post-apocalyptic survival RPG with detailed, and some would argue realistic, tactical combat that takes place several years after a brutal world war. The rules can get really crunchy sometimes but there's nothing else quite like it. The game is incredibly deadly, in and out of combat. You'll have to worry about food, fuel, shelter, wild animals just as much, if not more often, than men with guns. Even then if you survive getting shot you'll have to seek out medical treatment or risk infection, possibly even bleed out and die. So just like in real life, it is advisable to not get shot. Usually the game takes place in Europe but this time 'round we're heading to Florida in what's left of the United States.

THE BACKGROUND

In 1995, a series of Sino-Soviet border conflicts expanded into general war between the Soviet Union and China. The Sino-Soviet war rapidly escalated from conventional warfare into exchanges of nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons. In 1996 a cabal of East German and West German military officers seek to reunify their country. Unified German forces stage a coup d'état against the Group of Soviet Forces in Germany. The US and NATO allies initially attempt to stay out of the war, but are quickly drawn into the European conflict. France withdraws its troops from Germany and then withdraws entirely from NATO, declaring its neutrality in the conflict.

Between 1996 and 1997, a largely conventional war is fought between NATO and Warsaw Pact forces throughout Europe. There are limited exchanges of battlefield nuclear weapons, and chemical and biological weapons. During Thanksgiving 1997, the Soviet Union launches a surprise first strike against targets in the United States and Europe. The US and Great Britain launch retaliatory nuclear strikes against the Soviet Union. France, because of its neutrality, largely escapes direct damage.

In the aftermath of the nuclear exchanges, both blocs struggle to recover from the damage. The war continues - despite increasing shortages of men, equipment, and fuel. In the United States, there is a breach between the civilian government and the Joint Chiefs of Staff. An open rift develops between "Civgov" (the civilian government) and "Milgov" (the military government), which leads to a low-intensity civil war.

By the summer of 2000, the European theater of operations had been fought to a near stalemate. In one final effort to break the deadlock and end the war, NATO forces planned a summer offensive across Northern Poland and into the Baltics, but the offensive ground to a halt in the face of a Warsaw Pact counterattack. Several divisions and corps on each side were virtually eliminated. In the chaotic aftermath, supply lines are lost, high level command breaks down and armies in the European theater lose cohesion beyond the platoon unit. Some go “native’ and integrated with the militias of independent “free cities", others turned into gangs of marauding bandits and some small groups of surviving soldiers sought to find their way home.

WHERE DO YOU FIT IN?

The player characters are all veterans who have survived the Twilight war, and thanks to an old friend by the name of Colonel Murphy the players have all secured passage home on a military supply ship heading back to the states. There's sort of a catch, though. Once on board Murphy gathers the players, the only people he trusts enough for this, and explained the details.

quote:

Colonel Murphy handed us this stack of photos. No comment, just stuck 'em in our hands and sat down. The first shot was of a nice looking kid, maybe 16, 18. Looked like it was taken before the war. The second photo wasn't anywhere near so pretty. It had to have been taken maybe 24 hours after she had been dead. Not pretty. Not pretty at all. The third one was worse.. . .It showed what had been done to her back. Right about then I started feeling this real cold ache in my insides. When we were done looking at the pictures (it didn't take long) he stood up again.

"She was alive when our people found her ... died soon afterwards. She brought out a roll of film."

He hands us this, whatyucallit. ..a vanilla envelope? Inside was a thick bundle of pictures, enlargements made from one of those little spy cameras. It was a report, and made for some heavy reading. I'll save you some time; it's like this ... There's this bunch down in St. Pete called the New Americans. You know the drill: hates everyone who ain't white and most of the ones who are, into that "'natural aristocrat" horse hockey about the superior man ruling the rest, wants to put all of the women back in the kitchen.

What's going down in St. Petersburg-town? Ding me at dinner if I know. But I made myself a promise to a dead girl's picture that I'd find out. So I'm in.

New America has its roots in the numerous ultraright-wing, militant organizations which proliferated throughout North America during the 1970s and '80s. The organization, formed by Carl Hughes in 1979, was an unusual coalition of survivalists, tax and "big government" resistance groups, neo-nazis, ultraright-wing and militant religious organizations, and racists. In the late 1980s, several pseudo-Christian, highly militant church cults became part of the New American infastructure, churches which included Hughes' own Saints of the Saviour's Truth

The players have been asked to stick their noses into the business of the New American enclave in St. Petersburg, Fla., for a month between March 1 st and April 1 st, 2001. This city is at the hub of the great wheel of desolation caused by the nuclear strike on MacDill Air Force Base, across the bay in nearby Tampa. Central Florida is largely a wasteland. The majority of the state's prewar population is now dead. Communications with the southern half of the peninsula have all but completely ceased. And now there are reports coming out of St. Petersburg that the New Americans have taken over. A resistance movement is rumored to have arisen. The characters have been asked to conduct an investigation of the region, contact the resistance forces, and establish regular communications with them if the resistance movement has a chance of success against the New Americans.

NOTES FROM THE GM

So just because the scenario assumes you want to go to America doesn't mean you are an American soldier. Soldiers of all nationalities can be found fighting for NATO, even Russians, but Slavic characters might have a hard time in America.

And don't think that because you were a soldier means you had to be some rough and tumble grunt. Think M*A*S*H if that's the route you'd prefer.

The one thing I'm changing from the vanilla character creation rules is equipment allowance for officers. You can only spend 10% of your starting cash, and must keep 90% of it in the form of gold/silver bullion (your choice) to bring to Florida to assist in your operation. An assortment of weapons, ammunition, and basic gear will be issued to the players so they are free to spend that 10% on whatever they want, no need to worry about guns/ammo if you don't want to.

Enlisted men follow normal equipment rules, 90% toward equipment and 10% in the form of bullion.

If you have any questions or suggestions let em rip

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Posting for interest and to say I'll try to make a character soon.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Interestpost! I will try and dig up the chargen materials again and get a dude together because this is fun stuff.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

And if anyone needs help with chargen or can't get the rules I can help out there, too. I even have some pre-genned characters that can be used (with room for customization, of course).

Twilight 2000s adherence to realism means that if a player acts in a realistic way they don't really need to know too many of the games rules to play it well.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 18, 2019

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Interestpost! Do you have a deadline by which you want us to have character concepts in?

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I think I did this right....

pre:
Spec. Simon Deidrich Smith
"I'm just excited to kick some nazi rear end, sir."

Nationality: American
 Weight: 96 kg (211.64 lbs)	 Specialization: Medical
 Hit Points:  Head: 4, Body: 24, Arm/Leg: 18

A bit of an oddball,  an enigma. Always had an interest in electronics and gadgets,
 growing up, as a kid his life revolved around computerss. He wrote his first simple 
games and programs at the age of 10.   Intelligent, but cocky, with very little regard
 for authority.  Simon graduated high school then premed college. His goal was to
 become a doctor, but this was cut short when he got into some trouble that landed 
him in prison (check fraud, hacking, forgery of government documents) After serving
 2 of his 20 years the war happened, and he was promised an early  release if he would enlist. 

==Base Stats==

Fitness (S):  6                 Str: 10
Agility: 11                  Cool: 3
Constitution (S): 4   Rads: 22
Stature: 14	          Carry:  30/24kg(?)
Intelligence (F): 14	
Education (F): 13 

===Skills===
Mil:    200/200  Spent
Ed:     150/160 Spent
Back:   300/300  Spent

Lvl	Type	Cost
Body Combat (BC)	50	B	  30
Computers (CMP)         80	E	 110
Combat Rifle (CRM)	40	M 	  20
Electronics (ELEC)	60	B	  70 
English                100              
Forgery (FRG)		60	B	 120 	(2x Cost)
Lockpick (LP)		50	B	  50
Melee Combat (MC)	40	M	  20
Medical (MED)		80	E	  40	(1/2 Cost Specialization)
Motorcycle (MCY)	30	B	  30
Pistol (PST)            50	M	  50
Recon (RCN)		50	M	 100	(2x cost)
Swim (SWM)		50	M 	  30
Thrown Weapon (TW)      20	M	   0
Vehicles (WVD)		40		   0

==Equipment==
Spent: $3,537/8,000

Name                           Cost     Weight
Cash x$4,463
 Surgical Instruments 		$2,500  5
 Doctor's Medical Kit x2	$2,000	10
 Frag Grenade			    $4   .5
 Irritant Gas Grenade		    $3   .5
 Lockpick Tools                    $20   .5
 Electronic Repair Tools	$1,000  3
 Blood, Whole (x5)		   $50   2.5
 Plasma (x5)			   $50   2.5

--Free?--
 Thermal Fatigues		  $100  6
 Sleeping Bag			   $50  4
 Rucksack			   $20  2
 Flashlight    			   $20	-
 4x Binoculars			  $100	4
 Knife				    $5   .5
 Gas Mask			  $150	1
 Kevlar FLak Jacket		  $800	4
 Balistic Helmet 	 	  $100	 .5
.45 Automatic	 	                .5
 M16A2 Rifle			 	3 

I'm not sure if the character's backstory makes sense, with the timeline of the world (or in general), but I can adjust accordingly. I'm considering that maybe making him a mechanic makes more sense than a doctor.
I've been going strictly by the rolls, and I rolled 20 years old for age, but if it's alright, I'd like to fudge that up a few years, since I think he's a bit young to have this education and prison back story thing.

I'm not sure what WVD is, it says I get WVD20 to start, but searching I can't find it actually defined (I think it has someth8ing to do with veichle driving)

E: I think I messed up the age, it should be 2+13+8+1D6, so it should have been at least 24.
E2: Added equipment

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 23, 2019

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Warthur posted:

Interestpost! Do you have a deadline by which you want us to have character concepts in?

Not at all, and I'll take as many people as I think fits the scenario. If there's too much interest I don't think I'd mind running another adventure for another group.

Foolster41 posted:

I think I did this right....

I'm not sure what WVD is, it says I get WVD20 to start, but searching I can't find it actually defined (I think it has someth8ing to do with veichle driving)

Looks good to me! And yeah WVD (Wheeled Vehicle Driving) is weirdly missing from the V1 skill set, and was included in the errata. Link below.

https://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=2173

Another thing, I'm definitely going to be loving with the statblocks for guns. It doesn't take a gun nut like me to know an AKM doesn't do twice the damage of any other given assault rifle.

Edit : Also yeah you can basically fudge whatever you want within reason. I don't want anyone in any of my games to be stuck with a character they don't absolutely love.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 18, 2019

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

"Kia ora koutou
Ko Te Ariki Piraea ahau
Ko Maungawhau te māunga
Ko Awhitu te awa
Ko Tāhuna tōku marae
Nō Otahuhu ahau
Ko Mikaere Piraea rāua ko Anahera Piraea ōku mātua
"Greetings to you all, my name is Te Ariki Piraea, and this was my Pepeha."

Te Ariki is a young medic, growing up in a small nothing town of Waiuku (meaning: muddy river). Seeking escape from a vacant family with 6 brothers and 3 sisters, one where feeling invisible was the norm, T enlisted in the NZDefence Force at the ripe young age of 18. Finally, T found his vocation. He naturally gravitated towards the medical sciences, and finding a knack for the topic, was soon climbing the ranks. He gained some combat experience in various peacekeeping missions, and soon found himself a Lieutenant. Things were looking up. Until, that is, he and the unit he was attached to found themselves somewhere in Europe when the impossible happened. No one ever thought nukes would get used, and when New Zealand went dark, he found himself alongside Colonel Murphy. Not knowing whether home even existed any more, T found himself nodding and going along with this plan to head to St Petersburg.
Hell, it was good just to have something anything to plan for.

Thanks to Foolster, stealing his template.
pre:
Name: Te Ariki Piraea ("T", or "T-Bag" for short)
Nationality: New Zealand Maori
Age: 26		                  Time in Combat: 42 months (MEB 7)
Weight:  108kg           	  Specialization: Combat Medic (req 6, roll 6) 

* fav
** slight
  FIT: 9                        Cool: 2
**AGI: 6 (r:16)                 Rads: 28
  CON: 13                       Body Combat Damage: 9
 *STA: 17 (r:17)                Strength: 13
  INT: 13                       Load: 43 kg/86 kg (172 kg lift)
  EDU: 11                     
  Total: 69 (nice) 

Hit Capacity:                 Base To Hit (C/M/L)
  Head:     13                CRM     36/18/6  
  L/R Leg:  30                PST     24/12/4
  L/R Arm:  30                HW      24/12/4
  Abdomen:  30                HB      48/24/8
  Chest:    43                Throw:  26 m

Skills
  Military:   280/280 spent
  Education:  220/220 spent
  Background:  300/300 spent

Lvl   Cost
Combat Rifleman (CRM)         60    20 base + 40 M
Melee Combat (MC)             40    20 base + 20 M
Body Combat (BC)              60    20 base + 40 M
Wheeled Vehicle Driving (WVD) 40    40 base 
Hunting/Long Bow (LB)         80    40 B + 70 E
Pistol (PST)                  40    40 M
Heavy Weapons (HW)            40    40 M
Melee Combat (MC)             40    40 M
Swim (SWM)                    20    20 base + 30 B
Language (LNG) [English]      100
Language (LNG) [Te Reo Maori] 50    30 base + 10 (20 x 0.5) E
Medical (MEd)                 85    60 (120 x 0.5) M
Forage (FOR)                  60    70 E
Biology (BIO)                 70    90 E
Chemistry (CHM)               40    40 E
Scrounging (SCR)              80    110 B
Instruction (INS)             50    50 B
Mountaineering (MTN)          60    70 B

Equipment
[1000*42=$42000; $4200 available]

Cost           Weight       Quantity
gold coins/bullion      $37,800
Longbow                 $300           1
Longbow Arrow           $100 $50/24    6 3/24       2(48 arrows)
plate insert jacket     $400           8       
ballistic nylon helmet  $100           0.5
fatigues                $50            4
thermal fatigues        $100           6            
rucksack                $40            2            2 (one waist bag with medical equipment)
combat webbing          $10            2
2km hand radio          $250           0.5
flashlight              $20            0.5
Aneshetic, Local        $1000          0.5          1 (100 units)
Antibiotic              $750           0.2          1 (100 units oral)
Atropine auto injector  $75	       0.5	    1 (10 auto-injectors)	
Doctor's Medical Kit    $1000          5            1 (10 of each drugs, bandages, tools minor surgery)

Spiteski fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 19, 2019

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Spiteski posted:

Interest post. When are you going to close apps? I can have something up by midweek.

If I had to set a hard deadline I'd say maybe the 24th? Or by the time I get ten players for two groups, whichever comes first.

I've never really run a play-by-post before so I have no idea what's considered too long/short.

We've already got 4 interest posts and 1 completed character so if the 24th is way too far away please someone tell me lol.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 10:40 on May 18, 2019

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug
Count me in. I can roll up a character once I get home tomorrow.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Oh shoot, I'd love to play, but I've only got V2 (and 2013, I think). It's been forever since I've read it, chargen isn't compatible between the two, is it?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Interestpost--I'll get a character up later today.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I have to manage the graduation ceremony today, but I'm gonna make a guy

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Interest post. I know zip about military stuff so I will definitely have to think M*A*S*H...

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

1st Lieutenant Riley "Nomad" Fletcher

"I'm not from anywhere in particular. Dad served and came out alright, mom did scut work. Three older brothers and I'm the only girl. Money was tight, wasn't any money for college and service was a good way to get benefits. So I was ROTC through high school but nothing really hooked me...until they put me in Motor Services. They gave me access to all the books I wanted and far more free time than I needed and that's when I had my grand idea: transfer into the Army Corps of Engineers, wiggle my way into that organization, get myself nice and comfy.

Probably would've made it too if not for the Twilight War. Less free time now but far less supervision, so I get by."

Info for rolls: https://orokos.com/roll/m-HostileV

Favored/Slighted no stats, all random baby.
1: FIT: 9
AGL: 10
CON: 9
STA: 6
INT: 14
EDU: 9

2: TOT: 57

3: STR: 7

4: Hit Capacities:
Head: 9
Chest: 22
All Others: 15

5: Throw Range: 14

6: Weight:64 kilos

7: Load: 22 kilos

8: MEB: 9

9: 31 months

10: 30 rads

11: Coolness Under Fire: 1

12: Age: 21

13: American, US Army

14: English 100%,

15: Officer: Yes

16: Rank: 3

17: 1st Lieutenant

18: Service Branch

19: Vehicle Mechanic

20: ˝ cost for MEC

21: Skill Points:
Military: 0/360
Education: 0/180
Background: 0/300

22: Skills

CRM: 50 (30 points)
MC: 20
BC: 20
WVD: 40
TW: 20
SWM: 50 (30 points)
MEC: 80 (55 points) (half cost)
SCR: 80 (110 points)
CVE: 80 (110 points)
FSH: 75 (55 B points)
INS: 50 (50 points)
ELE: 50 (50 points)
LNG: English 100, Spanish 75 (50 points)
LP: 50 (50 points)
MTL: 50 (50 points)
FOR: 50 (50 points)
FRM: 50 (50 points)
GS: 75 (100 points)

23: Body Combat Damage: 1

24: Base Hit Numbers
CRM: 30/15/5

35: Equipment Purchase Allowance: 31,000. 2155/3100 to spend, 27,900 in reserve.

36: Equipment:
Basic tool kit 5 kg
Small arms tools 5 kg
Lockpick tools .5 kg
Electrical repair tools 3 kg
Knife .5 kg
Hatchet 2 kg

Encumbrance: 16 kg

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Looks great! I'm pretty impressed with the skill coverage we've got and we're only two characters in.

And I really like both characters, tons of useful skills with just enough combat skills to survive. We even get a young 80s movie-style computer hacker that has been to prison. I have high hopes lol.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

My fate was sealed for making this character when I realized how cheap it was to know how to fish and also it was in Florida.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

1LT Thomas Cheek

2LT Thomas Cheek, shortly before being shot for the first time (near Wrocław, 1997)

"Let's see how the Nazi gently caress likes a stick of dynamite up his rear end, shall we?"

Thomas Cheek was ROTC, and a sophomore in college when the Twilight War hit. Being a patriotic sort, he volunteered when things started to heat up, and was pushed through OCS just in time to join the push into Poland in '97. He regretted volunteering almost immediately, but couldn't do anything about it. His unit was in reserve when the balloon went up, and things got confusing after that. He's been shot three times, none of them seriously, but it makes him skittish when the rounds are flying.

pre:
Age: 23			                  Time in Combat: 21 months (MEB: 6)
Weight: 100 kg (220.46 lbs)	  Specialization: Combat Engineer [rolled 9; 7 req'd] 

FIT: 7                        Cool: 7
AGI: 13                       Rads: 16
CON: 14                       Body Combat Damage: 5
STA: 15                       Strength: 11
INT: 15                       Load: 40 kg/80 kg (160 kg lift)
EDU: 12                       
  Total: 76

Head:     14                CRM     33/16/5  
  L/R Leg:  29                PST     15/7/2
  L/R Arm:  29
  Abdomen:  29                Throw: 22 m
  Chest:    40

Skills
  Military:   240/240 spent
  Education:  240/240 spent
  Background: 300/300 spent

Lvl   Cost
Combat Rifleman (CRM)         55    20 base + 40 M
Melee Combat (MC)             50    20 base + 30 M
Body Combat (BC)              40    20 base + 20 M
Wheeled Vehicle Driving (WVD) 50    40 base + 10 B
Thrown Weapon (TW)            35    20 base + 15 M
Swim (SWM)                    20    
Combat Engineer (CBE)         80    110 M (x1 cost - x2 base x0.5 Speciality)
Pistol (PST)                  25    25 M
Civil Engineer (CVE)          80    110 E
Gunsmith (GS)                 20    20 E
Mining Engineer (MNE)         80    110 E
Scrounging (SCR)              80    110 B
Small Boat Handling (SBH)     75    100 B
Instruction (INS)             30    30 B
Lockpicking (LP)              50    50 B

Equipment
[500*21*2=$21000; $2100 available]

Cost      Weight  Quantity
gold coins/bullion      $18,900
dynamite                $80       4       8
plastic explosive       $300      10      10
engineer's demo kit     $750      5       
mine, claymore          $250      2       1                
lockpick tools          $20       0.5     
4x binoculars           $100      0.5     
plate insert jacket     $400      8       
ballistic nylon helmet  $100      0.5
fatigues                $50       4
rucksack                $20       2
combat webbing          $10       2
flashlight              $20       0.5

--free? stuff requests (-> preferred)
Primary Weapon
  -> H&K CAW (4 kg, 12 gauge/ROF 10/Mag 10/Rng 40/DAM 4/ARM x4) [C/R]
  M3A1 (3.47 kg, .45 ACP/ROF 3/Mag 10/Rng 15/DAM 2/ARM x3) [C/S]
  M16 (3 kg, 5.56N/ROF 4/Mag 10/Rng 50/DAM 2/ARM -) [V/C]
Secondary Weapon
  Colt Lightweight Commander (0.75 kg, .45 ACP/ROF 2/Mag 2/Rng 10/DAM 2/ARM x3) [C/S]
  Beretta Model 92S (0.95 kg, 9mmP/ROF 2/Mag 5/Rng 15/DAM 1/ARM x3) [C/S]
  -> SIG/Sauer P226 (0.84 kg, 9mmP/ROF 2/Mag 5/Rng 15/DAM 1/ARM x3) [S/R]

Machete (2 kg) [C/C]
Bayonet (0.5 kg) [C/C]

Ammunition (depending on weapon issued)
  -> 12 gauge all brass, 2 cases, 240 rounds per case (15 kg/case) [C/C]
  -> 5 10 shot magazines (1 kg/magazine) [C/C]

.45 ACP, 2 cases, 300 rounds per case (30 kg/case) [S/R]
  5 10 shot magazines (1 kg/magazine) [S/R]
  5 2 shot magazines (0.3 kg/magazine) [S/R]

5.56N, 2 cases, 280 rounds per case (10 kg/case) [V/C]
  5 10 shot magazines (0.5 kg/magazine) [V/C]

-> 9mmP, 2 cases, 480 rounds per case (15 kg/case) [V/C]
  -> 5 5 shot magazines (0.2 kg/magazine) [V/C]

Food
Vehicle stuff, if any

Hypnobeard fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 19, 2019

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Hypnobeard posted:

1LT Thomas Cheek
2LT Thomas Cheek, shortly before being shot for the first time (near Wrocław, 1997)

Love the character, props for coming up with a cool RP reason for the high coolness rating! But I just need a little clarification, is it 1st or 2nd LT?

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Interested, though I only have access to V2.2. Also I'm in eastern Europe so scheduling might be an issue.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

PinheadSlim posted:

Love the character, props for coming up with a cool RP reason for the high coolness rating! But I just need a little clarification, is it 1st or 2nd LT?

He's a 1LT--the pic is from when he was a butterbars right out of OCS.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Likely my full character build will be done closer to the 24th, but while I am thinking about it: how'd you feel about a character with a background in the Military Police Corps?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Hypnobeard posted:

He's a 1LT--the pic is from when he was a butterbars right out of OCS.

Makes sense, thanks!

Warthur posted:

Likely my full character build will be done closer to the 24th, but while I am thinking about it: how'd you feel about a character with a background in the Military Police Corps?

MPs are alright with me, have a cousin that was an MP during the second US invasion of Iraq.

Depending on how many people finish characters by the 24th I might have to run two different groups. If I did would anyone mind a different scenario? We can fight a different New American cell (Airlords of the Ozarks) or we can run the original adventure in Poland, leading into the first module "The Free City of Krakow"? I've even got one that's reminiscent of the Escape from NY/LA movies called "City of Angels" that involves gun battles in the tunnels under Disneyland.

Because Urban Guerilla is a bit of a covert scenario and 10 or 11 players could get unwieldy, even for a play by post.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 18, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm interested, though I do wonder if there's room amongst our tactical antifasc operators and Floridian setting for the guy who really wants to be doing infrastructure and liaison work with the locals.

also i have no idea where to find the books.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Mors Rattus posted:

I'm interested, though I do wonder if there's room amongst our tactical antifasc operators and Floridian setting for the guy who really wants to be doing infrastructure and liaison work with the locals.

also i have no idea where to find the books.

Liaison work is crucial in all Twilight games, but possibly none so more than Urban Guerilla, or any module with New America. And engineers are always vital, even if only to tell if a given structure is sturdy enough to spend the night in. I've had floors collapse out from uncautious players in particularly tall buildings before. If you can sell your services to the locals all the better. The mission may be covert but New America is only a part of Florida, there are other communities you could help.

The main rules can be had for :20bux: here https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/411/T2000-v1--Twilight-2000?cPath=21_23

Although if that's not an option just post an email or something here and I'll see about what I can do

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

PinheadSlim posted:

Liaison work is crucial in all Twilight games, but possibly none so more than Urban Guerilla, or any module with New America. And engineers are always vital, even if only to tell if a given structure is sturdy enough to spend the night in. I've had floors collapse out from uncautious players in particularly tall buildings before. If you can sell your services to the locals all the better. The mission may be covert but New America is only a part of Florida, there are other communities you could help.

The main rules can be had for :20bux: here https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/411/T2000-v1--Twilight-2000?cPath=21_23

Although if that's not an option just post an email or something here and I'll see about what I can do

I'm fine with LT Cheek going wherever. He's kinda tilted toward Florida with the small boat handling, but that's easily swapped for mountaineering or whatever.

Also, the T2000v1 bundle on DTRPG has all or almost all of the products for $40, so it's definitely the better deal if you can swing the extra $20.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

1st Lt Abe Cohen

"An injury to one is an injury to all, or so my dad told me."

Abe Cohen is the latest in a long line of Jewish metalworking union men. He never went to college, instead going into his father's machine shop, at least until the big war happened. Then things all went to poo poo. He's never actually seen live combat, having been assigned to fire control and rangefinding duties for the artillery, but managed to make a name for himself as the guy to go to when you needed something made or fixed - a machine, electronics, computer files, even forged documents. He's absolutely awful at any fight involving guns, and he knows it. He did wrestling in high school, is an avid swimmer and in general is much more comfortable when weapons are not out at all.

Officer Check: 21 is less than 23, officer.
Rank (2 months +1) = 3
Analyst check - Fail
ADM check - Fail
Fire Support check - Pass

pre:
Army: US Army
Age: 22			                  Time in Combat:  24 months (MEB: 7)
Weight: 76 kg 	  Specialization: Fire Support Specialist

FIT: 13                        Cool: 7
AGI: 11                       Rads: 28
CON: 14                       Body Combat Damage: 6
STA: 9                       Strength: 11
INT: 14                       Load: 36 kg/72 kg (144 kg lift)
EDU: 9                       
  Total: 70

Head:     14                CRM     20/7/2  
  L/R Leg:  23                PST     20/7/2
  L/R Arm:  23
  Abdomen:  23                Throw: 22 m
  Chest:    34

Skills
  Military:   280/280 spent
  Education:  180/180 spent
  Background: 300/300 spent
FO 1/2 cost
                              Lvl   Cost
Combat Rifleman (CRM)         25    20 base + 5 M
Computer (CMP)         70    30 base + 60 M
Melee Combat (MC)             20    20 base
Body Combat (BC)              60    20 base + 50 B
Wheeled Vehicle Driving (WVD) 40    40 base
Thrown Weapon (TW)            20    20 base
Swim (SWM)                    40    20 base + 20 B
Language (LNG) [Polish]      100
Pistol (PST)                  25    25 M
Civil Engineer (CVE)          50    50 E
Electronics (ELC)         45    45 M
Forward Observer (FO)                 80    55 M
Forgery (FRG)         80    70 B+40 M
Instruction (INS)         30    30 M
Mechanic (MEC)         80    20 E+90 B
Motorcycle (MCY)         60    70 B+20 M
Metallurgy (MTL)         80    110 E

Equipment
[$24000; $2400 available]
(I went 70 dollars over. Is that a problem?)

Cost      Weight  Quantity
gold coins/bullion      $21,530
.34 ACP pistol                $100              
basic tool kit                $200       5
electrical repair tools                $500       3
electronic repair tools                $1000       3
2km hand radio                $250       0.5
4x binoculars                $100       0.5
rebreather                $400       10
fatigues                $50       4
rucksack                $20       2
combat webbing          $10       2
flashlight              $20       0.5

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 19, 2019

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Ha! Just a bunch of 1LTs backing up our sole enlisted grunt who's actually decent at the fighting. How very US military.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hypnobeard posted:

Ha! Just a bunch of 1LTs backing up our sole enlisted grunt who's actually decent at the fighting. How very US military.

Two of those lieutenants also have never had post-high school education, while the grunt is a collage grad.

Truly, we are the finest officers they could have picked.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Mors Rattus posted:

(I went 70 dollars over. Is that a problem?)

Everything looks great, and no that's not a problem at all, it's not like you were buying tons of 40mm grenades and gasoline. I think we can overlook 70 dollars worth of fatigues and webbing.

Hypnobeard posted:

It really is starting to look like M*A*S*H in here lol. All officers and our faithful Radar O'Reilly

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Added to my original interest post.

Spiteski fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 19, 2019

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Haven't done equipment purchases yet - will think about that (especially considering that weapons and ammo are going to be provided).

1st. Lt. Simon Jackson

"Deserting's one thing. Frankly, we're at a point where losing dead weight like this rear end in a top hat is a net gain. But deserting with our entire supply of clean water tablets? That we can't overlook."

Simon decided to join the army on exiting high school and was quickly picked out for service in the Military Police Corps. The early part of his service was spent maintaining discipline in the boot camps; with the stormclouds on the horizon, recruitment had spiked, and with it came the sort of disciplinary problems you expect when drill sergeants are having to handle increasingly unwieldy cohorts of recruits. Jackson earned promotion early on for busting a group of ne'er-do-wells who'd been selling "lost" shipments of military equipment out of the back of the quartermaster's office - most of which went to various forms of organised crime outfit, but some of which went to political extremists.

However, about two and a half years ago Jackson was sent to the front lines in Europe. In the horrors of the Twilight War, the distinct between MP and regular army faded away - nothing like the common problem of survival to really help bring discipline together. In the escapade which landed the party their trip home with Colonel Murphy, Jackson was wounded to the point of being confined to a sickbed for most of the journey across the Atlantic, but the docs say he'll be ready to go back into action by the time the party reaches Florida. The long spell of bed rest has meant that he hasn't kept up with his cardio as much as he'd like and he's still a little shaky on his feet, but he hasn't lost as much muscle mass as he feared.

Oh, and I decided to use "Intelligence" as a model for the Military Police service branch.

pre:
==================================

BASIC ATTRIBUTES
================

Fitness:       5        STR: 9
Agility:       6        AGL: 6
Constitution: 11        CON: 11
Stature:      13        STA: 13
Intelligence: 16        INT: 16
Education:    10        EDU: 10
----------------
TOTAL:        61

Strength:      9

OTHER PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS
==============================

Hit Capacity
------------
Head: 11
Chest: 33
Left Leg: 24
Right Leg: 24
Left Arm: 24
Right Arm: 24

Weight: 92 kilos
Load: 33 kilos
Throw Range: 18 meters

MILITARY EXPERIENCE
===================

Military Experience Base: 8
Time in Combat: 32 months
Coolness: 1
Rads: 20
Army: US
Native Language: English
Service Branch: Military Police
Specialty: Interrogator
Specialty Benefits: 1/2 cost on
     INT (Interrogation) and 3
     languages (Spanish, German,
     Russian).

SKILLS
======

Military Skill Points:     320/320
Education Skill Points:    200/200
Background Skill Points:   300/300

BC  (Body Combat):             55%
CMP (Computer):                50%
CRM (Combat Rifleman):         50%
DIS (Disguise):                50%
INS (Instruction):             70%
INT (Interrogation):           70%
LNG (English):                100%
LNG (Spanish):                 70%
LNG (German):                  70%
LNG (Russian):                 60%
MC  (Melee Combat):            20%
PST (Pistol):                  65%
RCN (Recon):                   70%
SWM (Swimming):                50%
TW  (Thrown Weapon):           50%
WVD (Wheeled Vehicle Driving): 50%

Base Hit Numbers
----------------
     Close     Medium    Long
CRM: 30        15        5
PST: 39        19        6

Body Combat Damage: 7+1D6

EQUIPMENT
=========

Purchase allowance: 32,000
Reserve in bullion: 28,800

Purchases:
Bicycle ($1000) (15kg)
Small arms tools ($200) (5kg)
2km hand radio ($250) (0.5kg)
4X binoculars ($100) (0.5kg)
IR goggles ($250) (0.5kg)
Geiger counter ($500) (0.5kg)
Gas mask ($150) (1kg)
16 WP grenades ($280) (20kg case)
Flashlight ($20)
Sleeping bag ($50)
Plate Insert Jacket ($400) (8kg)
==================================

Warthur fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 21, 2019

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Two of those lieutenants also have never had post-high school education, while the grunt is a collage grad.

Truly, we are the finest officers they could have picked.
War truly is a young man's game.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

If it at all helps I'm sure it would actually be weirder for Colonel Murphy to trust a bunch of grunts on a mission this sensitive/important. Of course it's a bunch of LTs! If we're lucky we'll get a captain or a major, so far we're at five 1st LTs and not even one 2nd LT lol.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Man, reading through this, Coolness is really the make-or-break stat in combat, I have to take four hesitate actions each round. How many actions do I even have total?

e: 6, okay.

wow that's awful Cool

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Mors Rattus posted:

Man, reading through this, Coolness is really the make-or-break stat in combat, I have to take four hesitate actions each round. How many actions do I even have total?

wow that's awful Cool

Haha yeah, it ain't great, but NPCs are limited by this too and most of them will be on par with you.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

wow that's awful Cool
Moral of the story: being in fights sucks rear end.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I realized my character should be at least 24, so I fixed that.
I also added equipment. Let me know if I went too loose with my free allowances. Maybe I went a bit overboard with starting equipment and need to take fewer amounts of items (though i think I'm within the weight of being encumbered)

Out of curiosity, what skill governs the use of sniper rifles? Would it be Combat rifleman? I don't know if it'd make sense for this character to be a sniper, but I tend to gravitate towards sniper rifles in single player shooters because I like having distance between me and my enemies. (Though the fact that i'm an awful sniper in multiplayer probibly is somewhat telling of how well I'd do in real life)

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Foolster41 posted:

I realized my character should be at least 24, so I fixed that.
I also added equipment. Let me know if I went too loose with my free allowances. Maybe I went a bit overboard with starting equipment and need to take fewer amounts of items (though i think I'm within the weight of being encumbered)

I just realized you've accidentally given yourself too much money somehow, but I'm going to flip the rule for enlisted characters like yours.

Officers keep 90% of their money, spending 10 on equipment
Enlisted keep 10% of their money, spending 90 on equipment

16 months in combat multiplied by 500 is 8,000. That would entitle your character to $7,200 to spend on equipment and keep $800 in gold or silver bullion.

As for the equipment selection, you'd have to pay for the Desert Eagle and it's ammunition yourself since the Army certainly doesn't have any to give you. It's a meme machine that's for sure,

Ammo ROF Mag Rng DAM ARM
.357 mag 1 3 18 2 x3
.44 maa 1 2 20 2 x2

The weight for either is 1.75kg, the 357 version costs $2,500 and the 44 costs $3,000 and here's the ammo statblocks

.44 magnum (1 1.2 x 32.8mmR): Weight: 20 kg per case of
300, (1 5 loose shots per kg), Price: $550 per case (R/--).

.357 Magnum (9 x 33mmR): Weight: 20 kg per case of 300,
(1 5 loose shots per kg), Price: $500 per case (R/-).

And lastly yeah, CRM dictates all longarms. Shotguns, submachineguns, sniper rifles, light machineguns, assault rifles, all fall under CRM.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

PinheadSlim posted:

Haha yeah, it ain't great, but NPCs are limited by this too and most of them will be on par with you.

There's also the fun thing that you only have to hesitate if you change what you're doing. You can lay down curtains of fire as long as your ammo holds out.. but once it does, hesitation kicks in while you reload!

People driving cars? They stop driving when they hesitate, so you have to have someone with lower Cool giving them directions the whole time if they want to not stop and start (or do anything but go in a straight line at a constant speed, I think). This is actually spelled out in the book as the intended fix:

This is just so loooooool. Man I love 80's game design.

Oh, Pinhead: do you want us to put in requests for whatever guns we'd like to be issued? Or are you just going to give us AR-15s M16EZs and M9s and call it a day?