Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Didn't see a "general business questions" thread, so I decided to make this. Sorry if there was one and I missed it.

I'm thinking of starting an online business. I'm imagining a storefront on ebay, amazon, or something similar to sell various items. That being said I'm not totally sure of what. I was initially thinking stuff like retro video games and various game accessories, but that market seems a bit overcrowded. I was curious if anyone knows what are some good things to sell online that tend to be more profitable than not, or at least direct me to somewhere that I can find such information. I have a lot of money saved up ($11,000) so stocking up on things shouldn't be an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2cGiSamRjY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaTs6NNNP88

Noam Chomsky fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 18, 2019

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

If you need to be told what to do, I don't think you have what it takes to do it.

The ukulele background song is such a huge red flag.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I was under the impression that dropshipping has a bad wrap.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 19, 2019

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

I would start with selling things you already have and no longer need to get the hang of it, setup the accounts, get your bank account setup, and make some money off of things you no longer need. Selling on ebay, or merchant fulfilled on Amazon has minimal startup costs. Do you have a printer and a scale?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

lampey posted:

I would start with selling things you already have and no longer need to get the hang of it, setup the accounts, get your bank account setup, and make some money off of things you no longer need. Selling on ebay, or merchant fulfilled on Amazon has minimal startup costs. Do you have a printer and a scale?

I've actually been selling random things I've had for years. Was debating whether or not that was relevant enough to put in the OP.

I also do have a printer and a scale.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

My personal experience with selling on a larger scale on amazon and ebay is that it is more work than it is worth, and if you can make more than minimum wage at a regular job that is a better option. If you can do this profitably there are related careers to consider that can pay more than doing this on your own. There are certainly people making money though. Both in the longer term, high volume, low margin, and dealing with imports. And in chasing fads with no real sales history, or in buying from liquidation sales or lots at auction, or niche products with smaller volumes. Marketing is a big part of what defines success at a bigger scale. It also pays to diversify. Don't pay a scam artist for training, classes, or leads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

lampey posted:

My personal experience with selling on a larger scale on amazon and ebay is that it is more work than it is worth, and if you can make more than minimum wage at a regular job that is a better option. If you can do this profitably there are related careers to consider that can pay more than doing this on your own. There are certainly people making money though. Both in the longer term, high volume, low margin, and dealing with imports. And in chasing fads with no real sales history, or in buying from liquidation sales or lots at auction, or niche products with smaller volumes. Marketing is a big part of what defines success at a bigger scale. It also pays to diversify. Don't pay a scam artist for training, classes, or leads.

This is all good stuff. Thanks.