Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Big Beef City posted:

So is the goal here to one day remove the terra cotta and plant from the planter and remove the dirt to display more of the root system once the plant is established, or what's happening here? That's what I assumed up until you completely buried it and got confused. I don't do any topiary/cosmetic stuff really so I'd be in the dark about this process. Can you tell us more?

This me mostly just dicking about with project plants, but yeah, I deliberately chose a somewhat constraining planter because I sort of want it to become rootbound. Wanting it to develop an elaborate root system around the item/terracotta pot here, just I've found best practices to develop root growth is to be well underground so I'll be digging back up coming into next summer and assessing where it is at, and seeing if I need to trim any roots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Stupid cat ate all the leaves off my weird avocado tree and killed whatever was above ground a few months ago. I just repotted it, and saw that there is a nice root network. Can it be saved?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

a_pineapple posted:

Stupid cat ate all the leaves off my weird avocado tree and killed whatever was above ground a few months ago. I just repotted it, and saw that there is a nice root network. Can it be saved?

yes you can save the cat but personally i would throw it in the trash

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

check out this radish I picked from my garden yesterday

Nice hand dumb rear end.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

a_pineapple posted:

Maybe but probably not.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The cats in my neighborhood keep tearing up my sunflowers when they're less than half a foot tall. Was thinking of making a tiny metal fence but murdering the cats would probably be better for the local ecosystem, but there's no guarantee that some idiot neighbor won't just introduce new ones. They don't even eat the plants, they just dig and pull them up for fun. So I guess I'm hosed

They've messed up my attempts to grow zucchini and spinach also. gently caress cat owners who just let their animals wander around everywhere, you're killing the local birds :argh:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Why aren't you nerds growing weed?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Chief McHeath posted:

Why aren't you nerds growing weed?

There's like a ton of loving people IN this thread growing weed.
The first two posts are the word "WEED".
The third post is a picture of a dude growing weed.
The posts after that is a discussion about how to grow better weed.

gently caress on off out of here.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
I have a small planter box in my back garden. Last year I tried to grow a bunch of stuff but failed miserably due to various reasons. Disease, drought, pests, etc.
The only things that remotely survived were my parsnip.

This year however I've only planted onions and am tending to them better.
If it wasn't for my crippling depression i'd probably be able to care for vegetables better. But it requires a lot of work.
So far this year they're doing really good! I still have half of the box empty and am not sure what easy veg to put there.
I was thinking carrots but I'm certain flies will just destroy them.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

I have a small planter box in my back garden. Last year I tried to grow a bunch of stuff but failed miserably due to various reasons. Disease, drought, pests, etc.
The only things that remotely survived were my parsnip.

This year however I've only planted onions and am tending to them better.
If it wasn't for my crippling depression i'd probably be able to care for vegetables better. But it requires a lot of work.
So far this year they're doing really good! I still have half of the box empty and am not sure what easy veg to put there.
I was thinking carrots but I'm certain flies will just destroy them.

Radishes.

Grow radishes.

There are lots of fun varieties to pick from to find some neat ones you've never seen before! Here is just ONE catalog https://www.johnnyseeds.com/vegetables/radishes/
There are a LOT of catalogs out there.

Radishes grow like goddamn weeds, and they grow FAST. All you have to do is make sure the seeds fall out of the packet and land near Earth and you should get some radishes. Do this.
You can get delicious radishes, you can pick the kind of neat radishes you want to make you try new stuff and have a new experience, AND it's like a zero percent chance you lose out on growing them. Hit it up!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

otoh radishes don't taste good

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

otoh radishes don't taste good

Neither does your dick but I don't see you raining all over people trying to suck on it all the time.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
radishes are good get outta here

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Just lol if you haven't had radishes with a dangerous amount of salt with each one

For real tho, I should plant radishes

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Well, I got a new cactus to replace the dead one on my kitchen windowsill finally.

We also decided to try our hand at some actual gardening and set up a couple planters on our balcony with basil, banana peppers, habanero peppers, 'yellow pear' tomatoes, and 'patio' tomatoes.

Fingers crossed that growing these guys goes better than our gardening attempts went last year.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

feeling very gaslighted right now re: radishes which I always thought were kind of gross

gonna try planting some I guess, never had them super fresh or anything

AutumnDDP2
Nov 11, 2018

We all have to think about things sometimes. I guess.
Anyone ever try to grow strawberries in partial shade? They generally like full sun, but I really want to grow them.

All of these pics have been awesome too. That radish is really good, better than any store bought version I've seen!

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

AutumnDDP2 posted:

Anyone ever try to grow strawberries in partial shade? They generally like full sun, but I really want to grow them.

You want alpine strawberries for that

https://www.rareseeds.com/attila-strawberry/
https://www.rareseeds.com/alexandria-a-strawberry/

leave the seeds in the fridge for a month before planting

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I developed dead spots in the grass under trees. It took 15 years but it’s bad now. All the trees. Bought some shade seed and rollout hay to put down tomorrow. Dirt is rock hard though. :( gonna take some back breaking ground work I suspect.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
More scrub turkey posting

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I ate a bunch of radishes from the garden I'm livin the high life over here.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
radishes are good for eating in thin slices as part of a salad and not a whole lot else imo

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jestery posted:

Content?

This is a lovely jade my mother gave me

Ive spent a while sort of sculpting it into the cool fractal/fan pattern

He is growing very well and is one of my favourite plants

This post is beautiful, and it made my day 46% happier just by reading it.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

growing weed? sounds like some of you have a real green thumb :smugdog:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Burt Sexual posted:

I developed dead spots in the grass under trees. It took 15 years but it’s bad now. All the trees. Bought some shade seed and rollout hay to put down tomorrow. Dirt is rock hard though. :( gonna take some back breaking ground work I suspect.

What kind of trees are they

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I can't believe how many of you are wrong about radishes.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's hard to believe, frankly.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Big Beef City posted:

What kind of trees are they

Maples about 40’ and one 80’ oak

Professionally trimmed last year bc gently caress that.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Burt Sexual posted:

Maples about 40’ and one 80’ oak

Professionally trimmed last year bc gently caress that.

If they were trimmed that shouldn't be blocking enough light to kill grass unless they're already under other partial shade from other stuff.

Unless they had a ton of grass clippings and or leaves left under them from last year and it clumped up over the surface or enough tannins from the leaves got into the soil to affect it.

If it's just shade and you put down the high shade stuff like you mentioned, don't previously have treated the area with weed control or lawn feed with crabgrass preventer. Even if it says safe for lawns on it, that means 'established' lawns not 'sprouting grass babies' lawns. NO CRABGRASS PREVENTER.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Big Beef City posted:

If they were trimmed that shouldn't be blocking enough light to kill grass unless they're already under other partial shade from other stuff.

Unless they had a ton of grass clippings and or leaves left under them from last year and it clumped up over the surface or enough tannins from the leaves got into the soil to affect it.

If it's just shade and you put down the high shade stuff like you mentioned, don't previously have treated the area with weed control or lawn feed with crabgrass preventer. Even if it says safe for lawns on it, that means 'established' lawns not 'sprouting grass babies' lawns. NO CRABGRASS PREVENTER.

Hmm I have a service that does treatments. Too late. Guess I’ll wait till next year. There are neighbor trees that over hang mine too. I even paid to cut one guys back that was overhanging my actual roof. $800!

E the soil is poo poo too. I actually broke a small roto tiller trying to loosen it all. Lol

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

No I mean DONT treat it for weeds or with anything that deals with crabgrass specifically. It prevents the grass seed from germenating.

Also don't...till under trees. Like, raking the topsoil is fine but an actual rototiller is gonna tear up roots

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
It's been a stressful couple weeks and plants are cheaper than therapy

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Those rear end in a top hat beetles are chewing my grapes already and even after like six loving months the coconut stl hasn't germinate

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Those rear end in a top hat beetles are chewing my grapes already and even after like six loving months the coconut stl hasn't germinate

Take the coconut out and wash your taint

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Jestery posted:

It's been a stressful couple weeks and plants are cheaper than therapy

is this kokedama

I'm gonna start growing ferns in hanging coconut shells. I saw some great ones in the tropics so let's see if I can do it where I live, which is hell

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

is this kokedama

I guess some form of one yeah

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Big Beef City posted:

Take the coconut out and wash your taint

No I'm incubating this son of a bitch until it sprouts god drat it

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

No I'm incubating this son of a bitch until it sprouts god drat it

But that's implicitly where the sun ~doesn't~ shine

Nihilistic Magpie
Nov 21, 2018

QuarkJets posted:

The cats in my neighborhood keep tearing up my sunflowers when they're less than half a foot tall. Was thinking of making a tiny metal fence but murdering the cats would probably be better for the local ecosystem, but there's no guarantee that some idiot neighbor won't just introduce new ones. They don't even eat the plants, they just dig and pull them up for fun. So I guess I'm hosed

They've messed up my attempts to grow zucchini and spinach also. gently caress cat owners who just let their animals wander around everywhere, you're killing the local birds :argh:

There are at least 6 cats roaming around where I live. I hiss at them and chase them out of my yard whenever I see them because they poop everywhere.

Something I came across last year you can try is buy a bunch of long bamboo skewers and stick them in the ground around your plants like punji sticks. Make sure you put them close enough together to make it difficult for the cats to get through. You could also try putting netting up around your plants. You can usually find some at garden centres that are intended to deter birds.

Other than the cats, I have millions of slugs infesting my yard. Super fun walking in the grass (boots are highly recommended). This year my war plans are:

-surround my plants with plastic rings cut from soda bottles that have petroleum jelly around the top (I read that's supposed to make it hard for slugs to climb)
-keep sprinkling slug bait pellets around my plants
-get any plant that can to climb a trellis (going to see how well this works with my pumpkins)

I've planted pumpkins, zucchini, spaghetti squash, peas, beans, and cucumbers so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Jestery posted:

But that's implicitly where the sun ~doesn't~ shine

seeds go in the dirt, where there is no sun, it adds up

Nihilistic Magpie posted:

There are at least 6 cats roaming around where I live. I hiss at them and chase them out of my yard whenever I see them because they poop everywhere.

Something I came across last year you can try is buy a bunch of long bamboo skewers and stick them in the ground around your plants like punji sticks. Make sure you put them close enough together to make it difficult for the cats to get through. You could also try putting netting up around your plants. You can usually find some at garden centres that are intended to deter birds.

Other than the cats, I have millions of slugs infesting my yard. Super fun walking in the grass (boots are highly recommended). This year my war plans are:

-surround my plants with plastic rings cut from soda bottles that have petroleum jelly around the top (I read that's supposed to make it hard for slugs to climb)
-keep sprinkling slug bait pellets around my plants
-get any plant that can to climb a trellis (going to see how well this works with my pumpkins)

I've planted pumpkins, zucchini, spaghetti squash, peas, beans, and cucumbers so far.

What do cats hate the most
I mean fully revile