Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

yeah I eat rear end posted:

my only role at trivia nights was to try and catch other teams googling stuff on their phones while i got up to piss every 10 minutes on account of drinking way too much. I accused at least a couple teams that I can remember of doing it even though I didn't see a phone I just didn't like the look of them.

that is also the very nice thing about the speed quizzing app: the 10 second window leaves virtually no room for googling, so cheating is very uncommon

tonight at trivia, however, was a bit problematic. apparently the app got updated this week in the middle of writing the questions, which resulted in some of the questions having the wrong input format (was supposed to be multiple choice, ended up being not multiple choice). a sternly worded email is forthcoming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Alizee posted:

I go to trivia once every other week or so with some friends for half priced burgers and $5 pints (good price in canada) and the same team seems to win every week. Seems kinda bullshit. I thought that nobody would cheat at trivia since like why the gently caress would you, but with everyone saying otherwise in this thread we might have to look closer at them next time.

Was that at Rock Bottom? I knew some people who did trivia there and always cheated. Then they got called out on it and nearly banned.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Borden posted:

Was that at Rock Bottom? I knew some people who did trivia there and always cheated. Then they got called out on it and nearly banned.

Milwaukee?

Woden
May 6, 2006
We used to get wrecked in music rounds and a lot of the time it would cost us the win. We just thought we were bad, but later we found that a lot of the groups were using Shazaam after a few of them got banned.

Did one charity trivia this year and they used the same questions from last year but they changed a poo poo load of answers. So Gone With The Wind is now the highest grossing movie instead of Avatar, Best of the Eagles is the greatest selling album over Thriller and the worlds longest river is the Amazon instead of the Nile. All debatable stuff mostly due to lovely wording, so rounds took forever because people wanted to debate everything.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

A Fancy Hat posted:

No she missed a question, which prevented her from getting a perfect score up until that point. She argued that question and got the point back. (for reference the question was "Which character from the animated movie Pocahontas was not based on a real person?").

But then she missed some stuff in the next round and the final round which prevented her from winning the whole thing.

Also regarding "was she hot" - she was the type of person to argue over Disney facts at a trivia game on a Tuesday night, what do you think?

So you met Lindsey Ellis IRL, no one is impressed

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Woden posted:

So Gone With The Wind is now the highest grossing movie instead of Avatar, Best of the Eagles is the greatest selling album over Thriller and the worlds longest river is the Amazon instead of the Nile. All debatable stuff mostly due to lovely wording, so rounds took forever because people wanted to debate everything.

the box office poo poo is the worst. You cannot adjust for inflation without also adjusting for the relative competition. For Gone With The Wind the competition was either go watch this movie or watch your horse diarhea to death. For modern movies the competition is watch the movie or watch 9,488,400 other things, whenever you want, even on your phone or in your car.

Adjust for this cock

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
imagine knowing anything unimportant enough to be called 'trivia'

just lol at these smoothbrains

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I ran a Pub Trivia for 14 years about 7 of those I held it twice a week. Here are some of the ways I would curb cheating.

Before smartphones people would literally go to the bathroom call or text their friends to look up answers. If someone overheard people doing that trivia would stop and everyone would line up outside the toilet calling out the cheaters name until they came out. Some would try to pretend there was no one in the toilet, some try to hide their phone in the bathroom and claim the did not have one and some would run out out of the pub crying, but in the end, everyone but the cheater would have a good laugh.

As smartphones became popular I put a bounty on cheaters. If you got a good photo of someone cheating you got a free beer. We would have up to 200 packed in so I was always happy to let the audience rat each other out.

The pub had a kitchen and each team would get free pizza and wedges. If I caught someone cheating I would not say anything until it was time to hand out the pizzas. When I called out the team to get theirs I would ask the whole audience if cheaters get pizza. They, of course, would shout out gently caress no and the team currently in last place would get the now extra pizza.

The lengths people would go for a $30 bar voucher was amazing

For the weekly jackpot, round teams had 60 seconds to answer 4 really loving obscure questions all based on one subject. There was no way anyone was getting those on a phone and it helped that they had to get the answer sheet in a bucket before time was up. Got the jackpot up to around $2500 in cash before it went off once.

I really miss doing it, but the pub did a big renovation and "got rid of the dank" and the crowds started dying off. I got paid $150 a night and all the booze I could drink by the end of my run..... good times, loving really good times.

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

No, Halifax. I find it hard to believe two bars would have the same name.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Borden posted:

No, Halifax. I find it hard to believe two bars would have the same name.

Believe it.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Do you recognize the bar in my earlier post in this thread??

My buddy ran the table at this bar in town and came away with $150.00 gift card. A couple weeks later before he got to cash in, the bar closed for....racism. Yes, a night manager said some choice words after getting frustrated with minority patrons, and it was boycotted and gone by the end of the week.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
rear end in a top hat trivia: if you use a screwdriver on your bellybutton, your butt falls off.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I am surprised no one has coded wifi hacks to make goatse appear on everyone's phone.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

happyhippy posted:

I am surprised no one has coded wifi hacks to make goatse appear on everyone's phone.

Given that everyone has mobile data I don't think this would be very effective

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I like doing homework for fun even though I’m 29

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Before the internet etc I used to loving kill it on trivia nights and also those pub quiz machines with the £20 jackpot, I just have one of those brains that absorbs and remembers random facts instead of anything useful so it was cool to be in high demand as a team member and have people think I was 'intelligent' just because of that, loving lol. At my local pub the prize was a meal for four in the restaurant which was decent but by the end I was giving away the voucher as everyone hated me, it wasn't fun any more.

Since smartphones trivia quizzes have been poo poo. The trend is to give 'ungoogleable' questions so instead of stuff like "what year was JFK bumped off?" it's more like "how many marbles are in this jar?". It's pretty much a guessing game now. Thanks, technology. :argh:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Anybody here ever used to gently caress with that syndicated Buzztime trivia they had in sports bars like Buffalo Wild Wings in the 2000’s and early 2010’s? Different scheduled programs would play on the TV i.e. 30 minutes of sports, 30 minutes of general trivia, an hour of music trivia, etc. and if you wanted to play you had to ask the bartender to grab you this giant blue plastic speak-n-spell looking box with a keyboard on it so you could choose a multiple choice answer. It was also timed and you were rewarded for choosing fast which helped curtail cheating.

Scores would be displayed on the screen during the game so you could theorize about “who the gently caress is KiNG26??” And mean mug whoever you thought it was, and you’d also see the scores of people playing simultaneously at bars all across the country to see how you compare. I used to love that poo poo.

Eventually they turned it into an app (which obviously makes way more sense but I still sorta miss the unwieldy boxes) and tbh I haven’t seen it on the TV screen of a bar in probably like 5 years now. Though tbf I don’t go to a lot of sports bars these days so maybe I’m just out of the loop.

Honestly can’t believe nobody’s mentioned it yet, I used to see them shits everywhere

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
There was one place here that had that when I was in college ten years ago but I haven't been back inside since

It was terrible because their machines barely worked, I suppose it'd be better now as an app

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

timp posted:

Anybody here ever used to gently caress with that syndicated Buzztime trivia they had in sports bars like Buffalo Wild Wings in the 2000’s and early 2010’s? Different scheduled programs would play on the TV i.e. 30 minutes of sports, 30 minutes of general trivia, an hour of music trivia, etc. and if you wanted to play you had to ask the bartender to grab you this giant blue plastic speak-n-spell looking box with a keyboard on it so you could choose a multiple choice answer. It was also timed and you were rewarded for choosing fast which helped curtail cheating.

Scores would be displayed on the screen during the game so you could theorize about “who the gently caress is KiNG26??” And mean mug whoever you thought it was, and you’d also see the scores of people playing simultaneously at bars all across the country to see how you compare. I used to love that poo poo.

Eventually they turned it into an app (which obviously makes way more sense but I still sorta miss the unwieldy boxes) and tbh I haven’t seen it on the TV screen of a bar in probably like 5 years now. Though tbf I don’t go to a lot of sports bars these days so maybe I’m just out of the loop.

Honestly can’t believe nobody’s mentioned it yet, I used to see them shits everywhere

i used to love the poo poo outta this because it was only on half the tvs and you could actually watch the games on the others while you played but ever since bww got bought by motherfucking arbys their food has been absolutely inedible trash instead of delicious edible trash

to any arby's executives somehow reading this: gently caress you

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
And regarding traditional team trivia I'd just like to say that the ubiquitous no-creativity fallback name of "My Couch Pulls Out But I Don't" has officially been replaced by some variation of "We Drink and We Know Things"

And if it's specifically a Game of Thrones trivia you can look forward to hearing the host explain "Okay, so this team will be 'We Drink and We Know Things 1', you guys will be 'We Drink and We Know Things 2'...

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

In any british pub quiz you are guaranteed to have at least two teams called Quizzy Rascals, and one called Quiz on my tits.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Tears In A Vial posted:

In any british pub quiz you are guaranteed to have at least two teams called Quizzy Rascals, and one called Quiz on my tits.

Norfolk and Chance, Quizlamic State, You're a Quizzard Harry, Hoof Hearted, Mike Hunt's Friends etc etc

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

food court bailiff posted:

to any arby's executives somehow reading this: gently caress you

:smithicide:

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Once, but that was a long time ago.

bubblebee
Jan 6, 2014

Whorelord posted:

Norfolk and Chance, Quizlamic State, You're a Quizzard Harry, Hoof Hearted, Mike Hunt's Friends etc etc

Every loving trivia has you’re a quizzard harry. I’ve yet to attend a trivia that doesn’t.

Our team name is Heart of Dorkness so we’re not much better but at least we came up with it on our own.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

kumba posted:

yeah the speed quizzing app is excellent, pretty much every trivia night around here (gainesville fl) anymore uses it

Another Gainesville goon? Are you in the Florida thread?

I'm surprised I haven't seen this app anywhere. I don't do trivia as much as I used to, but everywhere I've seen here was either Trivia Nation or homebrew stuff.

ASenileAnimal posted:

i went to a movie trivia night once it kinda sucked all the questions were too hard like wtf stop asking me poo poo about stuff from the 50s

kumba posted:

it's the same at my local brewery, but it's because there's one guy who just happens to know almost every loving thing and it's insane how much he can just recall. i know he's not cheating because we actually team up for some of the themed nights and the amount of information he pulls out of his rear end, specifcally precise years and dates of historical events, is absolutely absurd

I'm the guy who just joins trivia teams to drink, make jokes, and occasionally answer science questions or something; in other words, I rarely contribute. It is absurd to me how many people know every loving thing about every movie made, or have completely memorized all of the details of every kind of mythology, etc.

Whenever the trivia night at my primary bar is themed after a franchise or something, the questions get ridiculously difficult, yet there still seem to be teams that get close to perfect scores. :psyboom:

I like the homebrew trivia at the bar I'm usually at. It's fairly casual and relaxed. It's usually less than 10 teams (except on popular franchise theme nights). The hosts will generally even give points to wrong answers if the answer is funny. I like the laid-back atmosphere more than the strict by-the-rules competition of bigger trivia places.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tears In A Vial posted:

Here in Australia there's almost always a team called Trivia Newton John.

Woden
May 6, 2006

bubblebee posted:

Every loving trivia has you’re a quizzard harry. I’ve yet to attend a trivia that doesn’t.

Never heard that one, there's always a cunning linguists though.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Quizlamic extremists was the one I always heard.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

ilmucche posted:

Quizlamic extremists was the one I always heard.

Quizlamic state is the only variant I've ever seen.

I was once on "team covfefe", hurray.

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If you don’t get drunk and argue semantics at trivia on behalf of your team idk what the point is.

A friend and I once argued that skunks don’t spray goo from their anus, but anal glands tucked away above the anus. You calling me a loser OP? I’ll tell ya bucko if it means a W and a bad Coors baseball hat I’ll be hootin and hollerin til the cows come home!!!!!!!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

pseudorandom posted:

Another Gainesville goon? Are you in the Florida thread?

I'm surprised I haven't seen this app anywhere. I don't do trivia as much as I used to, but everywhere I've seen here was either Trivia Nation or homebrew stuff.

huh, didn't know there was a florida thread. after 16 years on these dumb dead forums i still learn new things

i play at blackadder every week on wednesdays and they use it, and i know at least the WOB in Tioga uses it, I imagine WOB on 34th does too if they also do trivia some time. i know alehouse does trivia but that poo poo starts late for my 32 year old grandpa rear end, last i checked 10 years ago they were still running pen & paper but who knows if that's changed

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Yeha, the bar I liked had trivia nights for a short time. They were discontinued because the bar down the street also had one that was apparently more popular.

There was one pair that won first place every time except the one time I did. Typical boisterous rear end in a top hat bros, always had their loving cellphones out the whole time, and no one ever did poo poo about it. The bartender was always making some sort of excuse about why too.

I always held my own getting second or third place every time without a team.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
"Quiz Khalifa"

You are loving welcome

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Grevling posted:

Quizlamic state is the only variant I've ever seen.

Radical Quizlam.

I suggested goon favourite Trivial Fursuit once but ended up having to explain what a fursuit was and how I knew about them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

kecske posted:

Radical Quizlam.

I suggested goon favourite Trivial Fursuit once but ended up having to explain what a fursuit was and how I knew about them.

Never reveal your goon knowledge to proles

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Vidkun Quizling :smugwizard:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I thought in Pocahontas that gay little dog talked

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

I thought in Pocahontas that gay little dog talked

Unfortunately, all your talking scenes were cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

timp posted:

I had a few friends that worked at a Damon's in the late 90's early 2000s that had this and in the beginning our table would crush people on everything and get some goofy prizes like T-shirts for the primetime events. Then I'd go after I got done at my job, get some appetizers and Mt. Dew and school everyone solo while waiting for my friend's shifts to end. Sadly I only made the national board once, which was my main goal.