Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Moondoggle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

You gotta be a piece of dookie dongle dingle wangle poo poo to not want to go back to the moon and establish a poonbase.

Nothing to do with want.
It'd be baller as poo poo to have a total moon unit and a mars base that shoots lasers and you need a grappling hook and exploding wall sections you have to climb to get into and all kinds of action noises it plays and whatever else.

I'd love both of these things a lot.
The question was 'are we'.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Linux Pirate posted:

People only get mad if you say you're going to spend money on space exploration. There are billions spent on oil and gas, things that are actively killing the planet and no one bats an eye. But if you want to use any of that money on space, people act like all of the money and effort is going into a space program and nothing else.

It's partially that they think it can't be spread out.
It's mostly just that people have zero concept of what numbers mean, period.

Tell them that in 10 years, we could have an operational loving moon base. It will cost them 80 billion dollars. They will panic and proclaim that will cause the absolute end of the world due to the economy collapsing due to this unimaginable, unfathomable sum of money.

As soon as they pause for breath, tell them that in one year, THIS year, specifically, 2019, the Department of Defense already has a budget, for just this ONE YEAR, of 686 Billion dollars.
That's 85 times as much as this ten year project will cost, in ONE YEAR. ONE. And they will hoot and clap and demand even more money be spent.

The numbers are so large, and so incalculable to most people that they just cannot comprehend it and do not want to.

Assuming the DoD budget doesn't go up (lol) this is what the 10 year spending plan looks like in billions of dollars.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 23, 2019

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Jose posted:

If everyone in your government can agree to give the military 700bn they can also agree to give 20% of that to NASA

It's not even close to 20%.

It's 8bn out of an annual budget of 686bn.

It's %1.16 percent per year. If you made $50k last year, that's one payment of $580 a year.
And that's just assuming ALL the funding come from the DoD and zero other gov't agencies or private backers AND that the DoD's budget isn't going to grow like crazy in the next ten years (it absolutely is).

Literally this entire project would cost the DoD less than a rounding error by a matter of a couple of decimal points. That is how inconsequential this amount is.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 23, 2019

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Good give it to poor people instead of space nerds who want to play in an airless sandbox with no value to anyone

That's fine.
I'm not fighting for it.

I said earlier it was a boondoggle and not going to happen. I was just talking about the scope of this and its comparison to other things and why people flip the gently caress out over the numbers.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Good give it to poor people instead of space nerds who want to play in an airless sandbox with no value to anyone

Noblesse Obliged posted:

And the dod budget too

Maybe get flint mi potable water would be a good first step but that doesn't serve humanity or at least the humans NASA dorks picture saving

Investing in making earth inhabitable is both more logical and reaps better rewards but this isn't about logic or intelligence it's just sci fi masturbation

Noblesse Obliged posted:

None of this money will go anywhere but to grift and graft so even you space bazingas won't get what you want

Noblesse Obliged posted:

gently caress, you sound just like those Tesla shitheads

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Youre spending money on rich assholes and nothing else

No one on earth has ever considered these points and are doing opposite things purely to spite you and your clearly superior intellect and boundless compassion for your fellow man.

Having now recognized that you, specifically, are the only one on this gay planet who could ever conceptualize these facts or fight with flawless, biting logic forever to ensure their propogation, mankind must now invest in a rocket to spread you out into space. To spread your undying intellect and perfect understanding of everything, forever, across the unending gay cosmos.

Godspeed.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You're the only one flipping the gently caress out here and every person talking to you is like "yea, we know we get it" and you're still going apeshit about the perils of capitalism or whatever. Chill the gently caress out.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Make the moon a giant resort for the wealthy at the expense of the people but for tax reasons put the only functioning VA facility on it, is what I meant to say.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

People comparing anything is pathetic.
Nothing is REALLY the same as the original example, after all.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Realistic but not optimistic: Moon civilization is not going to happen until humanity is on the brink of death or Earth is uninhabitable because the process of getting it livable is a more enormous money sink than anything else in history and nobody's willing to put up the cash. It very well might happen, but it won't until it's almost too late for it to matter. The perspective of "I wanna do it first" seen in the original space race would spur some progress real fast in my opinion, but the internet-age thing-to-care-about-of-the-week culture is not gonna help the US maintain that attitude for very long.

Optimistic but not realistic: Some countries have been really, really pushing for green energy and alternative fuels and production materials lately, with a lot of nebulous "by xxxx year that isn't this year we will be entirely green-fuel-efficient" goals getting set. If environmental protection takes precedence, colonizing the moon will not be necessary for a very long time. That will make it take even longer to get there than if there was a rush (or a competition between countries) but with the goal being more long-term I think some countries would be much more willing to pony up the money needed.

So personally, I think moon colonization will happen someday either way, but it really is a matter of money over science as are all things in the 12+ digit number range.

The entire concept of the thread, and actual scientists: "Here is how we can put up a functioning moon base for like 20 billion plus, over the next decade, give or take, we figure."

You: "WE CAN'T JUST ALL GO LIVE ON THE MOON RIGHT NOW BECAUSE ACTUALLY LARGE SCALE COLONIZATION PODS HOUSING MILLIONS OF PEOPLE ARE QUITE COMPLEX AND FURTHER MORE"

No one is saying "Well we have to go colonize the moon with this project, right now." This is literally "Can some astronauts go stay on the moon like it's the ISS but on that big rock we can see from here".

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 26, 2019

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Literally A Person posted:

Just so amazingly loving excited for when the terraforming efforts being undertaken by the inhabitants of MOONBASE ZETA catch the attention of a neighboring star system that until that point had never registered as anything other than a collection of dead stellar masses floating through the void and the void-people decide that after millenniums of observation the hideous human meat creatures have finally taken too arrogant a leap into space and the decision is made that the meat creatures must face a harsh judgment. Totally super stoked for when the gaseous energy beings from deep within the void destroy the moon finally ending the human's encroachment further away from their already dying planet and enslave mankind forcing them to create a super-weapon beyond which their greatest scientific minds had ever dreamed of and aim it at a system far off into interstellar space and obliterating the void-people's enemy the peaceful fish people of Tyrill VII scapegoating earthlings as the bringer of a genocide the likes of which no species in the cosmos could have imagined. YEAH GOOD JOB EVERYONE, SUPER EXCITED.

Again I think we're outpacing the 20'ish billion dollar budget layout here when we start talking about for SURE impressing the void-people enough to eradicate and or entomb our minds for ageless eternities within the in-etchable halls of their unfathomable mind prisons due to our moon farms.
I think this is, and again, I'm just putting it out there, a bit premature based on some conjecture we had about maybe putting in a micro-green house experiment from some school children on one of the missions.

But we can talk around this if others feel it's important.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

My ideal of the coolest future is one where you're born in a 30 cubic meter spaceship, live your entire life in it, have kids, then die never having seen a plant or animal, and 3000 generations pass by and your descendants finally arrive at a habitale planet, only to land and be eaten by the native equilvent of bears.

If only ONE copy of the King James bible touches down on the desolated husk of the space bear corpse world and the word of the LORD stretches out to the Abyss, then we shall have done our utmost.
Godspeed...God.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Literally A Person posted:

Oh yeah, just loving duper stoked for when the resources MOONBASE GAMMA receives from commercial advertising enterprise with the Earth-people starts to make the other moonbases covetous of the booming economy being established by Gamma-people while the more traditional moonbases are stuck hydroponically growing MOONBEETS for export to Earth at low cost and razor thin margins for the farmers. Just silly pumped for when Tranilion Council members from all but MOONBASE GAMMA attend secret meetings in an attempt to find a way to seize GAMMA'a resources for themselves and end up embroiling the moon in a thirty generation war that leaves dear Luna a husk of it's former productive self. Extremely mega-jazzed for when the last peoples left on a dying moon with no access to the once generous and nutritious beet fields or even clean water sit in the trenches and think to themselves what the hell is it even for. Just so :stoked:

Right.
And again, like we talked about in the last email chain, I think we're all excited about the internecine conflicts inherent in a multigenerational trans-lunar beet war once we've fended off the beings and returned our trapped minds from their nightmare Shadow realm, right now I'd like to focus on establishing where we can establish funding for our first Earth to LEO test satellite.
No doubt centuries of interdimensional psychic war with unknowable hostile alien entities so advanced they may as well be Gods and we ourselves mere ants, and Lunar produce piracy reduction efforts by the UN Space force, or 'Sol-tilla', as you've repeatedly called them ARE on the forefront of everyone's minds, I think it is ALSO vital that we aim to design a practicable launch vehicle that can get our first test probes into orbit. Does anyone have any insight on how those project goals are progressing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Neural lace is what my moon girlfriend wears, she and it are really busy and can't come to the holo projector right now though