Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Happy Judgement Day

Hope everyone has stocked up on #2,000,000 sunblock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

No. And I had a real fuckin' bad day.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Horizon Burning posted:

killing john was just a very stupid move. it's way more interesting to see what the messiah whose destiny never came might've done when he was faced with being 'replaced' by someone else. it was especially stupid when it was just so they could have a latina messiah who has to fight skynet i mean legion.

Terminator 3 already sorta went this way and it wasn't great (except for the ending which does end up with him being the messiah).

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah I think it would've been cooler if they just had John live but not end up as the chosen one when the war ensues. Like he's struggling to figure out where he fits as someone else is apparently stepping up to the plate. Heck, current day Edward Furlong would've looked appropriate for that.

He could've (predicably but satisfyingly) sacrificed himself for that cause after coming to terms with his dark fate.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Edward Furlong has a pretty terrible reputation vis a vis being a huge prick.

Not sure if it's true, but it would explain why they've never had him back since.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Yeah, for some reason I seem to remember everyone including him concluding that what he did in that movie was the extent that he could reasonably contribute based on his capabilities and life situation.

I think I’ve said it before, but I wish after T2 they would have explored other genres like Cloverfield. Upgrade from 2018/19 (?) was the best Terminator movie since T2.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

LividLiquid posted:

Edward Furlong has a pretty terrible reputation vis a vis being a huge prick.

Not sure if it's true, but it would explain why they've never had him back since.

They didn’t bring him back because he’s been a hardcore junkie since the late 90s.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Violator posted:

Yeah, for some reason I seem to remember everyone including him concluding that what he did in that movie was the extent that he could reasonably contribute based on his capabilities and life situation.

I think I’ve said it before, but I wish after T2 they would have explored other genres like Cloverfield. Upgrade from 2018/19 (?) was the best Terminator movie since T2.

Speaking of this I did really like the volunteer hybrid cyborg thing of MacKenzie Davis' character in Dark Fate.

Dark Fate was waaaaaay better than I was expecting, but it didn't do well I guess after how blah Genisys was, it had a lot of cool stuff in it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of this I did really like the volunteer hybrid cyborg thing of MacKenzie Davis' character in Dark Fate.

Dark Fate was waaaaaay better than I was expecting, but it didn't do well I guess after how blah Genisys was, it had a lot of cool stuff in it.

Dark Fate would have been very well received if three bad/bland movies hadn't determinedly burned through all the good will people had towards the series. As it is, it's a competent retread of T2 with a few new additions, and there's already two bad examples of that.

Violator posted:

I like this idea. Stories that are in the same universe but are doing their own thing.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dark Fate also got caught in the start of the RW grifter culture wars. Mexicans and women taking over the so dudebro Terminator franchise that was famous for having women as the leads and all.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

The only sequel that had any realistic potential to be special was Salvation, and they flubbed it so badly that they should have shelved the franchise for at least a decade.

Every other one has been a rehash of the same story, just with a "What if" twist, like what if Skynet was inevitable (3), what if the time travel created parallel dimensions (Genesis) and what if the messiah was actually someone else (Dark Fate). I don't think audiences have been very interested in seeing the same basic plot play out again and again, just like we don't need to see superhero origin stories every time they reboot franchises anymore.

Every idea that's not revolving around contemporary John Connor (or alternate stand-ins) dealing with time traveling murder bots is better than what we've been getting. It's why the first Matrix movie is the best spiritual sequel we've gotten.

And at this point, Salvation ruined interest in showing the proper war, if they do bring back Terminator, I hope they show the post war, with the humans trying to rebuild in a post apocalyptic world with limited resources, paranoia about technology and remnants of murderous robots to deal with. It could be like a zombie movie with robots.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The “Terminator Salvation: The Final Battle” comic series manages to chain off of the ending of Terminator Salvation, loop it back around with T1-T3, and give a satisfying end to the war, it’s pretty neat.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

The “Terminator Salvation: The Final Battle” comic series manages to chain off of the ending of Terminator Salvation, loop it back around with T1-T3, and give a satisfying end to the war, it’s pretty neat.

Can you spoil the gist of it? Doubt I'll be tracking it down to read.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’ll re-read it so I can give a proper recap.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

iamsosmrt posted:

The only sequel that had any realistic potential to be special was Salvation, and they flubbed it so badly that they should have shelved the franchise for at least a decade.

Every other one has been a rehash of the same story, just with a "What if" twist, like what if Skynet was inevitable (3), what if the time travel created parallel dimensions (Genesis) and what if the messiah was actually someone else (Dark Fate). I don't think audiences have been very interested in seeing the same basic plot play out again and again, just like we don't need to see superhero origin stories every time they reboot franchises anymore.

Every idea that's not revolving around contemporary John Connor (or alternate stand-ins) dealing with time traveling murder bots is better than what we've been getting. It's why the first Matrix movie is the best spiritual sequel we've gotten.

And at this point, Salvation ruined interest in showing the proper war, if they do bring back Terminator, I hope they show the post war, with the humans trying to rebuild in a post apocalyptic world with limited resources, paranoia about technology and remnants of murderous robots to deal with. It could be like a zombie movie with robots.

I remember being speechless about how bad Salvation was vs. the cast and most of the high effects quality and the potential of the premise of it being a prequel, sequel, and reboot simultaneously and it finally being a movie focusing on the future war.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

I remember being speechless about how bad Salvation was vs. the cast and most of the high effects quality and the potential of the premise of it being a prequel, sequel, and reboot simultaneously and it finally being a movie focusing on the future war.

Mix of just a not good director and behind the scenes nonsense. Something that should have been great muddled with. And one of my earlier examples of it to make me dislike studios.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I wanted to see the story of the silhouette of those people (collaborators?) in the window we get for that blink and you'll miss it shot. Also, what was Skynet going to do with all the people they were capturing? Why wasn't it John Connor that died and the Sam Worthington terminator taking his place? That's what it seemed like it was building up to.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
“There was talk on the Internet about an alternate ending where

Connor dies and they take Connor’s likeness and put it on top of Marcus

Wright’s machine body. So that it’s actually a machine that’s leading

the resistance! And the Internet caught wind of that and people went,

‘That’s bulls—! We don’t want that!'”

McG grins. “Well, that’s not really what the ending was.”

Actually, the bloggers were on the right track. Except, McG adds, the original ending actually went even further.

“Connor dies, okay? He’s dead,” McG continues. “And Marcus offers his

physical body, so Connor’s exterior is put on top of his machine body.

It looks like Connor, but it’s really Marcus underneath. And all of the

characters we care about (Kyle Reese, Connor’s wife Kate, etc.) are

brought into the room to see him and they think it’s Connor. And Connor

gets up and then there’s a small flicker of red in his eyes and he

shoots Kate, he shoots Kyle, he shoots everybody in the room. Fade to

black. End of movie. Skynet wins. F— you!”

F— you, indeed.

We tell the director that this would be the darkest, bleakest summer blockbuster ending of all time. He agrees.

“It’s the most nihilistic thing of all time. And Christian went

f—ing crazy, of course. He was insistent that it be done that way! He

wanted the bad guys to win! Can you imagine the oxygen going out of the

theater?! What just happened! It would piss you off! But maybe two

years from now, you’d think it was ballsy. But in the end, it just felt

like too much of a bummer.”

He pauses, thinking about the alternate ending that wasn’t. “Maybe we blew it.”

https://ew.com/article/2009/05/26/the-terminator/

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I wanted to see the story of the silhouette of those people (collaborators?) in the window we get for that blink and you'll miss it shot. Also, what was Skynet going to do with all the people they were capturing? Why wasn't it John Connor that died and the Sam Worthington terminator taking his place? That's what it seemed like it was building up to.

I remember it leaked early and they changed it.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
That certainly would have been one way to kill the franchise.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Salvation is, on balance, one of the most frustratingly bad films ever made. On paper, it's a loving dream. Christian Bale, Terry Crews, Common, Helena Bonham Carter, Anton Yelchin, Michael Ironside, Moon Bloodgood and a massive budget. A Terminator that doesn't know it's a terminator is a fantastic idea and something that should have been front and centre. It's a perfect evolution from a bad terminator to a good terminator to a terminator that thinks its good. The first trailer, which showed almost nothing absolutely nailed the atmosphere. The second trailer was also promising. Hey, maybe McG won't gently caress this up. But he did. It's exactly the film the guy who did Charlie's Angels would make if he was trying to be serious. gently caress that movie. On every loving level: pacing, structure, script, character, performances...There isn't even any good action, which is unforgiveable. Even Terminator 3 had the Crane chase.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Salvation is, on balance, one of the most frustratingly bad films ever made. On paper, it's a loving dream. Christian Bale, Terry Crews, Common, Helena Bonham Carter, Anton Yelchin, Michael Ironside, Moon Bloodgood and a massive budget. A Terminator that doesn't know it's a terminator is a fantastic idea and something that should have been front and centre. It's a perfect evolution from a bad terminator to a good terminator to a terminator that thinks its good. The first trailer, which showed almost nothing absolutely nailed the atmosphere. The second trailer was also promising. Hey, maybe McG won't gently caress this up. But he did. It's exactly the film the guy who did Charlie's Angels would make if he was trying to be serious. gently caress that movie. On every loving level: pacing, structure, script, character, performances...There isn't even any good action, which is unforgiveable. Even Terminator 3 had the Crane chase.

I really hate Salvation like so loving much. Regarding the bad action scenes, the worst has got to be when John Connor betrays the human resistance to help Marcus escape. There's just, like, a motorcycle stunt show happening in some other dimension interspersed with Bale and Worthington running around? I loving hate McG so much because of this movie and always will.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’ll step up to bat for the whole sequence where the giant Harvester robot shows up and starts snatching people right up to where Reese gets captured, that entire bit is cool, moves at a good clip, has neat action, and has some cool shots and visuals.

https://youtu.be/1xOPmhQnC3w

https://youtu.be/HRuLB1phE1Q

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I hadn't noticed before how the motorcycle terminators sometimes kick out the cannons on the side to help with maneuvers, the way a person might shift their weight, in addition to using them to blast stuff. Neat detail.

My objection generally isn't to the way the movie looks. It's what happens whenever anyone opens their mouth.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The big truck jump from t2 was filmed about a ten minute drive from where I live now, at the intersection of Plummer and Hayvenhurst

This doesn’t enhance the discussion in the thread, and I didn’t live here at the time, but I just thought I’d mention it.

I drove straight through there uncountable times in years past, having no idea it was filmed there.

Maybe I need to do a TikTok video from there, to make it have meaning.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MrMojok posted:

The big truck jump from t2 was filmed about a ten minute drive from where I live now, at the intersection of Plummer and Hayvenhurst

This doesn’t enhance the discussion in the thread, and I didn’t live here at the time, but I just thought I’d mention it.

I drove straight through there uncountable times in years past, having no idea it was filmed there.

Maybe I need to do a TikTok video from there, to make it have meaning.

Making a TikTok video would make it have less meaning.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Salvation is a great-looking movie that does the most new and interesting stuff with the "Terminator" concepts, and all the performances are obviously quite good. Nobody's ever really put forward an argument for why it's bad.

The basic point of the movie, that the demystified "future war" is an allegory for life in the global south, is crystal clear. It makes the ICE and border stuff in T6 look downright conservative.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Salvation is a great-looking movie that does the most new and interesting stuff with the "Terminator" concepts, and all the performances are obviously quite good. Nobody's ever really put forward an argument for why it's bad.

The basic point of the movie, that the demystified "future war" is an allegory for life in the global south, is crystal clear. It makes the ICE and border stuff in T6 look downright conservative.

It has plenty of new and interesting stuff. It doesn't do interesting things with them.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Snowman_McK posted:

It has plenty of new and interesting stuff. It doesn't do interesting things with them.

What would 'doing interesting things with the interesting stuff' look like?

Like, having the capitalist humans running Skynet appear solely as shadows in the background of a shot is dope. That's way more powerful than if you gave them a bunch of dialogue where they explain their motives or whatever.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

The original twist of Salvation was going to be that Skynet was never trying to destroy humanity, it was doing the "computer interprets it's simple directive to defend humanity in overly literal fashion" trope and trying to 'save' humanity because it ran the numbers and predicted their extinction, so all it's actions were to cull humanity down to a sustainable number then convert them to Marcus style terminator-human hybrids who could live forever and never get sick etc. So the shadowy silhouettes were humans on the side of Skynet.

The title would have the double meaning of Skynet thinking terminators were humanities salvation, and John Connor dying and having face transplanted onto Marcus (that would be where his scars would come from) who would continue on in his place learning from and following the tapes Sarah left behind making a terminator the actual salvation of humanity

The rewrites mean the title doesn't actually mean anything when it comes to the end product they made, and why there's plot points and little bits of imagery that aren't explained. Like Skynet knowing it has Kyle Reese captured but not executing him on the spot for convoluted reasons is because originally it had no idea who he was and the sequence would have been "Marcus has to save Kyle before he gets put through the conversion surgery"

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
So, uh, the plan is we've gotta fight our way to the time portal and send someone through to get Terminator: Fate/Off made?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Seemlar posted:

The rewrites mean the title doesn't actually mean anything when it comes to the end product they made

The title of the film is referring to how Marcus sacrifices himself to save John, who ends up rather literally 'born again'.

Also, the Kyle Reese stuff isn't terribly complicated. Skynet knows Kyle is important to John, but not much other detail. It uses Kyle to lure John into a trap.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I just remembered how in Salvation SkyNet is Helena Bonham Carter's consciousness in a computer.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neo Rasa posted:

I just remembered how in Salvation SkyNet is Helena Bonham Carter's consciousness in a computer.

That's a false memory. Skynet in the film is basically depicted as 'the entire internet, all at once'. Marcus can't directly perceive it without being painfully overwhelmed, so Skynet generates a crudely-deepfaked avatar for communication instead.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Salvation and Genisys were so awful I didn’t even bother with Dark Fate: A Terminator Story.

the problem with salvation is that it didn’t even look like the future war glimpsed at in the first 3 films

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MLSM posted:

Salvation and Genisys were so awful I didn’t even bother with Dark Fate: A Terminator Story.

the problem with salvation is that it didn’t even look like the future war glimpsed at in the first 3 films

Dark Fate could have been better but overall is really good imo.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MLSM posted:

Taking into account the shifting timelines, Salvation takes place roughly a decade before the intro to T1.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What would 'doing interesting things with the interesting stuff' look like?

Like, having the capitalist humans running Skynet appear solely as shadows in the background of a shot is dope. That's way more powerful than if you gave them a bunch of dialogue where they explain their motives or whatever.

I'll give you that one. That is a cool idea that is executed well. That it's a blink and you'll miss it shot left over from an earlier version of the script and is the best moment in the movie is probably as damning an indictment of Salvation as I can manage.

Seemlar posted:

The rewrites mean the title doesn't actually mean anything when it comes to the end product they made, and why there's plot points and little bits of imagery that aren't explained. Like Skynet knowing it has Kyle Reese captured but not executing him on the spot for convoluted reasons is because originally it had no idea who he was and the sequence would have been "Marcus has to save Kyle before he gets put through the conversion surgery"

It also means that the whole opening doesn't add anything anymore aside from being a misdirect. That being a test run for the process would work as a set up in the version you're describing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

They should consider doing the Vs. route, maybe Robocop or even Predator. I thought it was a cool idea to have RoboCop's creation as a stepping stone towards Skynet's birth. Predator could go a whole lot of ways, but I wouldn't hate if they turned the tide of the war.