Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

CelticPredator posted:

The worst part of that is no Terminator theme. Why does everyone post Cameron hate the theme so much! It's the best!
Steve Jablonsky liked it so much he used the "dun-dun dun dun DUN" riff practically unchanged in his Transformers score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a time powers terminator yet. Like sort of more than anything T2 terminator's power was liquid metal specifically because morphing software existed now. I'm shocked there wasn't an early 2000s terminator that had time powers because matrix smooth camera time stops were the newest thing.
The show from which my av comes, Miraculous, just had an episode about a good guy and a bad guy from the future coming to the present - and constantly loving with each other using time powers while having a kung-fu fight, and it was awesome. If a goofy French cartoon knocking out 20+ episodes a year can come up with a really clever and well-done new twist on the Terminator formula, it exposes "okay, this time there's a T-800 inside a T-1000, and they're black not silver!" as pretty weaksauce.

(By the way, totally stealing the time powers Terminator idea, brb.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Also, if they wanted to go back down an R-rated body horror route, how about this? We know from T1 that "nothing dead can go" back in time - so Skynet stitches together a load of living prisoners around whatever outrageous piece of new tech it wants to transport. The rules of time can apparently be fooled by a T-1000, so why the hell not?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Davros1 posted:

In T1, the war's over, and the rebels have the time travel device. Why not send rebels back to prevent the creation of Skynet and Judgement Day?
Skynet! What's happening? Skyneeeeeet!
T I M E P A R A D O X

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Zoran posted:

I think Skynet should send its machines back in time to un-cancel The Sarah Connor Chronicles.
"I bring you a message from the future."
"What is it? Do we reach the stars, or suffer nuclear self-annihilation? Do we cure cancer? Is my child destined for greatness? Tell me!"
[uncrumples paper] "...'Dump the three dots subplot'."

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
It struck me after seeing the latest trailer that the horror aspects of the original movie are completely gone. The T-800 was a robot skeleton encased in a cloned skin bag of rotting meat (cf: flies buzzing around, the "gently caress you, rear end in a top hat" guy complaining about the smell). That adds a new level to the nightmare; not only does this thing pursue you and never, ever tire, but it literally smells like death.

Now, the T-800 is a robot skeleton encased in living, healthy flesh that can age into a grizzled grandpa. The kind of killing machine you'd want as your neighbour.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Adult John Connor is enjoying lunch at an Arby's when his plate morphs into a T-3000 and stabs him through the eye. The screen fades out with the words "TIME PARADOX". Suddenly it's 1984 again, and a T-800 appears from a time bubble. Then another. And another. And another. We go into time-lapse mode, pulling back ever further as the world becomes covered with Arnolds from an infinite number of alternate timelines, eventually collapsing into a black hole under their weight. The end.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Let's face it, we know what's going to happen. DF will start with Chunky John Connor being upstanding in a 'gonna prevent a robot holocaust' kind of way when an Arnold T-800 walks in, greets him, then 'shockingly' kills him. (Hence Sarah's hatred of Beardy Arnold.) Several years later, the rest of the movie will happen. Because, does anyone seriously think they're going to bring back Edward Furlong for the entire movie?

I'm getting fed up with continuations of series taking the "which major character can we kill for shock value?" approach. It doesn't even have to be a literal kill, just having them be so out of character (because they're written by people who had nothing to do with the original) that they might as well be a different person. There's obviously "let's wind back his development 30 years then kill Han Solo!" in TFA, but there are also things like "let's make John Connor into a villainous super-Terminator!" in this franchise, or "let's make Scotty a lazy alcoholic bullshitter!" or "let's have Kirk tell the Federation to gently caress off so he can ride horses and fry eggs! And then drop a bridge on him" in Star Trek: TNG.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

The plot was leaked and apparently the film opens shortly after the end of T2 and another T-800, the one played by Arnold in this film, walks in and blows John Connor away with a shotgun in like the first five minutes.
The moment I heard Edward Furlong was going to be involved, I knew they were going to kill him off for 'shock' value.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
"Easily the best T3 yet" lol.

If it's really T:TFA, then I guess Sarah is Han and dies.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Horizon Burning posted:

Well, the simplest answer is that it was a deleted scene and isn't canon - it wasn't in the theatrical version. No Terminator thing since T2 has used that, just going with what the theatrical T2 demonstrated, that Terminators can just learn.
Yeah, you don't need the learning chip scene when "I know now why you cry" does the job a lot more simply and emotionally. But is it something Carl can ever do?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Fish Noise posted:

every time I see clips of 3 I'm left with an impression of "this is a LOT more slapstick than I remember it, I should rewatch"
BOIIIIIINGGGG squeeakooooo - sound effects that genuinely appeared in a Terminator movie.

(There's a similar thing in The Bourne Ultimatum, where at the end of a tense and frantic chase a suspension spring flies from a crashed car with a ridiculously cartoony B-D-D-DOINGGGGGG ruler-on-a-desk noise. Completely took me out of the scene.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Neo Rasa posted:

Can't bring up all that sproing sound work without acknowledging The King:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Dfi-b-qns
[Looks at thumbnail]
[Sees vague green blob in darkness]
"It's the lovely Rollerball remake!" :haw:

I've seen too many bad movies...

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Kinda begs the question of why, when you've spent a shitload of money to make a sequel to a pretty much universally acclaimed action movie that despite having comic moments played its premise straight to great effect, you'd decide, "yeah, let's camp everything the gently caress up and have not one single potentially tense or scary moment that isn't instantly undercut by a gag". (And then at the end have humanity all but exterminated by nuclear armageddon. Womp womp!)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Grendels Dad posted:

I rewatched Commando yesterday and it felt like a test run for Good Guy Terminator, but also with sick burns on dead or dying enemies. Arnold is just as unstoppable in the pursuit of his goal, and the movie goes to great lengths to emphasize his power.
It saddens me that there's a generation of moviegoers who didn't grow up with Arnold's kill-quips. And Commando has so many.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The 'three dots' subplot with Sarah all but killed the momentum of season 2 stone dead, and it's a wonder it managed to recover at all. I can't even remember what it was all about, just that it wasn't worth the time and effort spent on it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
There's a funny moment (as in, it's meant to be inspiring and dramatic but comes off as goofy as hell) in Robocop Vs Terminator when the resistance prevent Skynet's creation by killing Robocop, followed by change rippling through the timeline and chains being cast off, flowers blooming, peace and love, etc - and Skynet promptly goes "Agh! No, gently caress that!" and hurriedly sends yet more Terminators back to restore the skull-littered hellscape.

Skynet eventually wins in the resulting timeline and wipes out all life on Earth. Now what? Well, there are a lot of stars out there, potentially with planets supporting living things of their own - so it builds an armada of space galleons manned by T-800 endoskeletons to sterilise the whole galaxy. Yep, thinking big.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Time-travelling robots made of liquid metal, fine. Someone hacking a cash machine? IMMERSION BROKEN.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

PeterCat posted:

And yet Solo explicitly addresses this as the route of Kessel Run.

loving nerds.
Something something death of the author something something intent.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Alhazred posted:

Doesn't a movie have to be popular to be part of popular knowledge? I would be surprised if people even know about the movie in ten years.
Dark Fate will only be a part of popular knowledge as a subset of the answer to: "Wait, they made how many Terminator movies?"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Anyway, when I did a thread in the TV forum about the TV series, I became pretty interested in why the series could use the title Terminator and the characters but seemingly couldn't have anyone utter the word 'Terminator' in the series itself (they even changed Kyle Reese's words!), nor could terms like T-800 and T-1000 be used. Apparently, the rights are a bit of a mess, but I couldn't find much more info other than that. I can't see how it would affect a major Hollywood production, but it just came to mind given your comment about how nothing from T2 is mentioned.
Sounds as screwed-up as the TV rights to Thomas Harris's novels, where the series about Hannibal Lecter couldn't feature Clarice Starling, and the upcoming series about Clarice Starling can't feature Hannibal Lecter. (Or Jack Crawford, apparently.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Queering Wheel posted:

I want to see a Terminator movie where there isn't any time travel, it's just Sarah blowing up any Cyberdyne-like companies/military contractors that crop up because she thinks it's the only way to be sure.
A whole movie from the POV of the investigator hunting a terrorist blowing up high-tech factories, and only in the final scene is it revealed that the terrorist is trying to stop time-travelling killer robots from being invented. She fails, and in the last shot is killed by a time-travelling killer robot: The Cloverfield Terminator.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

jojoinnit posted:

An 80s style romantic comedy, "So I married a Terminator".
Isn't that Dark Fate?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
On a sidenote, I'm playing Ghost Recon: Breakpoint, a game about killer drones and AIs gaining sentience, and one of the optional storylines involves... Terminators. Once you start it, even the music changes to become more Brad Fiedel-esque.

It's good fun, but I can't help thinking how much more awesome it would have been to have NPCs start talking about some crazy woman who says she came from the future, build up to talk about killer cyborgs so you can go "oh, it's a Terminator reference, ha ha!" - and then BAM, actual T-800 out of nowhere. Rather than there being a literal "Terminator" box on the mission select screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Once James Cameron makes the second movie in a series, it should stop there.

Wait, he's making how many Avatar sequels?