Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I thought that looked ok, but people are HATING on it all over social media.

Maybe I just have a soft spot for seeing Border Patrol fuckheads get merked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It depends on the Terminator movie, the first one is a predestination paradox closed loop. All the subsequent ones seem to be that the characters are in an orphaned timeline where the future they are from ceased to exist.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I mean it's a powerful move but it has a hell of a windup with all the lightning and wind and such.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It would be really cool if like some Deep Mind Terminator that looked like a scuttling insect that unfolded into a weird near non-Euclidian shape came back from 20400 and just went ham on every other Terminator.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Grendels Dad posted:

I mean, why wouldn't something like that happen? The time machine cat is out of the bag, and even if the humans won in 20xx, it's not impossible for a new machine civilization to arise. Like, the future is pretty loving big, why do we only ever get Terminators from twenty years ahead?

That's what I'm saying too. Fish Noise got me thinking! And Halloween Jack is right about the allegory.

Just thought of a Terminator with the human tissue cloned from Karl Marx coming back to spread class consciousness. He's ok with a gun but his real power is to organize labor and terminate capitalism. And he still speaks with a thick German accent. "Dere is a terminator haunting Yer-up...."

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 6, 2019

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Halloween Jack posted:

Hegel remarks somewhere that all great world-historic facts appear, so to speak, twice. He forgot to add: the first time as tragedy, the second time as farce, the third, fourth, fifth, and sixth times, also farce.

Seventh time: as a Terminator

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I mean, it would also be extremely funny if the Terminators killed John Connor and it didn't matter at all because the Great Man Theory is bunk.

Basebf555 posted:

Also their third roommate is Balki from Perfect Strangers for some reason.

COOOZIN AHNULD

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

That's pretty drat good, although I can tell you were constrained by the assets they gave you.

I can't believe you don't do this for a living.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Fish Noise posted:

my new Terminator concepts: Literally just compile all the plasma era future war scenes and edit them for plasma color consistency, with versions for every color.

It's tough being the Idea Guy but you're pulling it off with aplomb

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Sleeveless posted:

There's never going to be a Terminator that lives up to the first two because the thing those movies had going for them was surprise and novelty and you're never going to get either of those iterating on the franchise more and more.

The reason people wanted Future War is because it was the last frontier, there still could have been surprises and such about it. Then they actually did it and sorta dropped the ball.

There's almost nothing that can be done further with "two opposing warriors travel through time to protect X". As SMG has pointed out, every possible permutation of that scenario has already been done.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Gatts posted:

Have you considered one opposing warrior travels in time to kill X but the other to get him laid with the girl of his dreams after a comedy road trip in Europe when he is in college and she is a famous celebrity. Like not even to protect him, just get him laid cause his future self had one-itis and had the power to make it happen. It doesnt even impact the future.

I'm listening.....

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The point isn’t that every possible scenario has been done. The point is that fans have already gotten everything they’ve demanded, and it’s only made them more miserable. They don’t actually know what they want.

That's not true. They want Terminator: Battle Across Time 3d, which if you read the comments is full of people flipping out about how much better it is than all the sequels to Terminator 2.

I note here that it doesn't detonate your premise of why Future War works at all, since much like the Future War scenes in T1 and T2 it's a very short 12 minute feature that's full of nothing but good Terminator action beats, cool 3d shots, and one liners. It also neatly puts a button on the series, since it literally ends with T-800 beating the T-1,000,000 via the same method he used in Terminator 2, showing that Skynet's obsession with escalation leads absolutely nowhere.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 8, 2019

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

In any case, what you’re talking about is a related phenomenon to the perpetual dissatisfaction: fans will point to this thing, the TV show, or some videogame as an example of “how or should be done”. But those things have been done, because they are done.

The TV show existed, and it was mediocre “Agents of Shield” stuff. These things all have been met with widespread indifference. (This post is probably the most anyone has bothered to read T23D.) But the show had likeable characters? GI JOE had likeable chatscters. That’s not what makes a good narrative. People will post examples of the TV show’s greatest moments, and they’re invariably crap because fans are like “I love when that T-1000 character turns into a urinal and kills everyone!” and ignore that that story is told very badly.

SMG, if there's one thing you can take away from our dialogues, it's that I 100% agree with you on this point. I've seen the light, you've converted me. There's no way to be happy by perpetually wanting a rehash of what you've seen before, only with "secret sauce". James Cameron is 100% on point when he says that the proper way to do a sequel is to answer a question the audience never thought to ask and if you can't do that just don't bother.

Also thank you for interpreting T23D as a mass hallucination designed to indoctrinate the audience into Cyberdyne's ideology. That's unironically The Takes I Crave.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah actually your whole point about the T800 being kinda dumb really stuck with me. He gets tossed through a window and lies there like a dork for 8 seconds or so. Watching the first encounter with the busted up T600 in Salvation is a pretty accurate to your characterization: here's a very tough robot with heavy artillery who can't hit anything and falls for obvious traps.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Fish Noise posted:

my new Terminator concept: going off of the time machine's event logs, the Resistance sends over a dozen of its best fighters all over a ~50 year span of recent history to stop the various Terminators sent by Skynet, not realizing that the time machine is just straight up disintegrating whatever's inside of it when it's not recalibrated properly after the first few shots and that most of event logs are faked.

Two of the resistance fighters are partially fused together and heavily damaged on a genetic level, then accidently teleported to a Norwegian Antarctic research station circa 1981.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

AlternateAccount posted:

I am so confused. What propels him over the railing?

The script.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

We had a talk in the comic thread about how Doctor Doom puts mind control chips in people that means he can take over their bodies at any time, and this is known by everyone who lives in his country. And how that would be an interesting exploration because certain people would act like how Doctor Doom wants them to act so that he doesn't actually activate the chip, and stuff like that.

It occurs to me you could do the same thing with the T-3000. Maybe "Skynet" can do a few limited things with Connor's body - well Connor wouldn't want that, like most humans he wants as much autonomy as possible, so he would gradually come around to do the things that he thinks "Skynet" wants him to do. Thus in effect becoming Skynet in mind as well as deed. I think that might have been an interesting tack to take with that concept, instead of "oh he's crazy now"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Hamilton is fine, she's just speaking deliberately. The T-Zillion making jokes could actually be interesting if they do something with it (and I don't mean making him robot Deadpool, obviously). I'm gonna see a matinee, obviously, but this could be ok. I'm just going to remind myself that I hated Genesys the first time I watched it but the second time, once I had actually accepted the premise, it was ok.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

*Linda Hamilton speaks in nearly the same cadence as Dirty Harry*

"jeez sounds like Hamilton has been spending a little time with Prince Valium, am I right?"

come on.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

porfiria posted:

Linda Hamilton has always been mediocre tbh.

That's absolutely true, except for in T2 where she was good.

I re-watched Terminator last night and she's not a big reason why that movie works....although by no means does she do a bad job.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The Human Crouton posted:

Way too many early reviews are mentioning "The Force Awakens". It seems like they were all given a list of talking points.

Nah, it's probably even simpler: the audience got a promo with the producers/directors/stars and were told "we're attempting to make the Force Awakens of Terminator" and when the 'critics' liked the movie they stuck with that.

I found the Collider article that collects the reactions (https://ew.com/movies/2019/10/20/terminator-dark-fate-reactions/) and it sounds like this is going to be a perfectly acceptable movie that fails to capture the lightning in a bottle of T1 and T2, which isn't surprising.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 21, 2019

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Rhyno posted:

Tim Miller is the shittiest director of our time. Deadpool is an incredibly ugly film with one good action sequence that he didn't even come up with. Hopefully this leads to him never directing a film again.

Hoping that a movie is bad so a guy you don't like doesn't get work anymore is reddit-level poo poo. If I accepted your framing, I would much rather he redeem himself and add an interesting sci-fi film into the lexicon than flop out and poo poo the bed again.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

well why not posted:

so salvation 2? Actually I haven’t seen salvation, should
I bother!?

Nah. It is very bland.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

tylersayten posted:

Most people wish Michael Bay and Zack Snyder would stop making movies.

Most people absolutely do not, you insane person. Most people have no opinion on them at all. Get offline.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

tylersayten posted:

I can’t tell if you’re being serious here.

LMAO then your brain has truly been hosed by the internet.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm staying neutral in this discussion. I will say that you guys should try rolling your enthusiasm for this franchise into the new entry - otherwise you might suffer from a crushing disappointment.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

IGN has given the movie an 8/10. The Blockbuster Likers have spoken.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Fish Noise posted:

my new Terminator concept: The first T-800 has been sent back. The Resistance is closing in. Skynet is about to ready the T-1000. A bunch of Temporal Security Agents in rapidly ripening robbie the robot fat suits immediately appear and arrest Skynet, whisking the entire AI core away and leaving a convincing replica in place. The Resistance believes it has won conventionally, John Connor sends back Kyle Reese, the T1 stable time loop is preserved, while T2 and all of its time war fallout are averted.

Replace the Timecops with an army of digitally de-aged JVCDs and you've got my vote!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

If you abandon the characters you get Screamers. Watch Screamers, which is a good movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Silly Burrito posted:

Danny Devito, the T-400.

"I'm mechanical GARBAGE!!!!"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

DVDs didn't exist when Twins was made, so I assume the deal was for "home media".

Not trying to be smarmy, just wanting to clarify that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Look, I'm in favor of whatever aesthetic exists in that sequence in Aliens where Ripley tapes the guns together and gets fuckin' psyched in the elevator. I don't know if that's genderqueer - but it is extremely badass, and I love it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Paddyo posted:

Good acting and good directing?

Hell yes!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You basically get his decades-long debate over whether it's ok for Ripley to wear pants and, meanwhile, Ripley in Aliens is teaming up with the US military and the Weyland-Yutani corporation to put down a worker's revolt.

Are the facehuggers not entitled to the fruits of their face hugging? "No!" says the man in Washington.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Sam Worthington was a good dirtbag in Sabotage. Was he great? No. But he was a good character actor.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What's crazier to me is that some very highly paid people approved 'em.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Groovelord ain't here to discuss, he's here to bang his fork and knife on the table and demand more of the Good Stuff.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Focus on the "is in a discussion thread and doesn't want to discuss, just be snide" part, rather than the other part.

edit: and also you're lying

Groovelord Neato posted:

you could do a proper future war movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 14, 2019

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Problem is the dude did absolutely want a good future war movie, which I 100% agree with. They could have made a good future war movie, in another timeline (lol).

If you want to talk about specific elements in the very unsuccessful films that followed, well go for it. Maybe you can retroactively make Genesys or Salvation something more than "kind of a dumb waste of time and definitely a huge waste of money" with good analysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It's a shame, because it would be ruined by marketing, but can you imagine going to see a WW2 movie with no indication of what they are doing and one of the SS Stormgrubben (or w/e they are called) turned around and it's a fuckin' T-800? Holy poo poo I would flip my wig.