Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The problem is that once you've done T1 and T2, and T-literally-T2-again-3, there are two things you can do with the concept if you want to keep making films in the franchise, 1) no more time travel, lets tell a war story about fighting machines at the end of the world; or 2) if we are doing more time travel then the films need to self-reference this and we make the story about that. I think both of those are interesting story concepts.

Genysis is bland and Salvation is just plain terrible, but they both at least take shots at going down either of those roads. Unfortunately they do it badly enough that nobody will ever do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Horizon Burning posted:

I'll never understand why people are so desirous of a future war movie. We know what happens - Skynet gets defeated, sends a Terminator back. There'd be no way of maintaining the nightmare atmosphere of T1 and T2's future war sequences, which means you'd probably get something like Salvation... which people hated for not being like those sequences and also just being generic and boring in general.

Well the Terminator war is 'war of the worlds, except the machines exterminating humanity are defeated by people and not by waiting'. You are just using a handy available setting to tell a story about the holocaust/imperialism.

I think that as public consciousness rises over the existence of actual real world autonomous drones taking part in combat there's space to tell a simple cautionary war story about what trying to fight those things would be like.

E: also salvation doesnt touch this because it doesnt touch anything, but theres mountains of Christ allegory to make out of John Connor knowing that he's destined to win the war but also that destiny possibly isnt real, not knowing how, and also knowing he has to send Reese to his death.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Nov 18, 2019

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Flashback to Sarah Connor in the asylum. In the cell next to her Bruce Willis rants about being sent from the future to stop the Army of the 12 Monkeys.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Ok, but that's not what's going on in the clip. He's actually just behaving like a person who's decent with firearms.

There's nothing mechanical at all there, whereas Arnold's terminator would pause to calculate things, glitch out and flail around, etc. Throwing people at walls is actually a very inhuman way to fight.

This is completely right. The reason Arnie works as the Terminator is because bodybuilder Arnie looks slightly unreal, as if he genuinely could be a half ton of metal endoskeleton with a human skin stretched over it. Robert Patrick works as the T1000 because his lack of mass juxtaposed with Arnie actually heightens the sense that he's portraying a more advanced model.

In the Sarah Connor Chronicles Terminators are just people who are a bit quiet and don't fall over when shot.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I mean it's part of the mythos that the humans win the war. I think Genisys's first 10 minutes hint at the story to be told there - the humans win because they have the numbers and are willing to accept horrific losses to defeat Skynet's mechanical superiority. If you want an allegory for the Eastern Front in WW2 that's it right there.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The film you make today is one that follows a random Joe blogs in the middle east who gets identified as a future terrorist by a US AI system and spends the film running from drone strikes.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If you want to tell a post-judgement day story about the war then what you are doing is telling an allegory for the Eastern Front in ww2: a technologically advanced mechanised enemy is coming to exterminate you and only through a mix of guerilla and conventional warfare, suffering, and enormous human sacrifice do the good guys win. It is The War of the Worlds except theres no disease to kill the invaders.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Make a post human victory game where the last terminator infiltrators are now just trying to hide and exist in human society. Free from Skynet they span the gauntlet of still wanting to Kill All Humans to bascially being Karl.

Call it Blade Runner 2.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wild T posted:

That's something that's never really explored in the films - what would Skynet do once it won? The war is justified as self-preservation, but I can see it quickly turning into I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream once the Resistance is destroyed and the AI goes "okay, now what?"

That's the cautionary AI part of the story - Skynet doesnt 'want' anything but to destroy threats.
It's something TSCC was trying to build up to exploring; building an AI that didn't just want to kill all humans as a counter to Skynet.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SUNKOS posted:

That plus John not really knowing what he's doing or how to succeed were really good ideas and although the movie wasn't very good, I think Salvation could have been a great movie and up there alongside the first two if it was done properly. They had good ideas and were on the right track but just screwed things up. It had a lot of potential.

'A film about the war' could be alright, but Salvation is a mess of ideas. It's unclear if Connor is still the protagonist (that was a rewrite). There's a time travel element hidden there (the T-800 has been developed a decade early, also Skynet knows that Kyle Reese is important and has to die) but other than the implications its all gone. There's that 'literally Elysium' plot point of human collaborators that's literally reduced to shadow.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

jojoinnit posted:

The real movie was the Rev 9 Vs Grace. Linda and Arnold pulled it into the Terminator franchise but they could have been written out without losing much. The real movie was fantastic, if it weren't branded Terminator I think it would have been more acclaimed. That being said I totally enjoyed them being in it, LH is still badass as ever.

They wanted to reboot the franchise without being able to reboot the franchise. That's the hole Terminator is in right now and why it should be let well alone.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sodomy Hussein posted:

We did all the "John Connor grows up" stuff, and the general consensus was that all the interpretations failed by varying degrees and for varying reasons, so the well was dry. Killing him was not only the only move really left, but gave Linda Hamilton, who loving rules and ironically represented a fresh direction for the franchise, something to do.

Other than that, the interesting thing and the real draw about this series was and is the killer robots and anyone who says different is full of poo poo.

The most interesting thing Salvation did was the brush-by acknowledgment that Connor is only special because he cheats - his knowledge of how to beat the machines comes from the future and that's only possible because Skynet builds a time machine.

e: oops, that's Genysis, Genysis did the above thing. I got my bad Terminator films mixed up.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 27, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

As I posted earlier, Genysis is the one film that just outright goes 'Connor is only special because he cheats', except it's then not followed up in the second half.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Heh. Poor Matt. I wonder if he looks at how Karen Gillen's career loving exploded and he's going to end up like so many Doctors before him, fully defined by the role.

Lots of British actors do well domestically, go to Hollywood and crash out and gave to come home.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Concept: Skynet is a US AI and Legion is a Chinese AI. They wipe out humanity in a war and continue to fight as each other's 'main enemy'. The film is about them both sending terminators back in time to interfere with each other's development. Humans in both governments know about this but are collaborating in the hope they can nudge 'inevitable extinction' into a win for their side.

Our heroes have to do something about this.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

"I want a discrete ship that will get me where I want to go without attracting any attention. Bonus if it's fast"

"LET ME TELL YOU HOW FAMOUS MY SHIP IS FOR BEING A FAST SMUGGLER"

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If Matt Smith survives the 'destruction' of Skynet and Conner doesn't actually win the war, why does he bother sending Terminator-Connor back in time to build Genysis? Also why is Terminator-Connor building a time machine? (I can think of reasons, but the film never actually touches on this). If you have a time machine then by definition it doesn't matter when you have a time machine.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

I also agree with your issue with it. I think there's a better version where the terminator is just her boss at the factory and crushes her spirit rather than try to kill her.

Yeah but they made that film it's called The Matrix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The whole point is that people who 'choose' to be part of the Matrix aren't just passive victims, they actively uphold the system (same as the police).