Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I think I've said this elsewhere, but, this might actually be okay.

Like, Tim Miller's a good director, James Cameron's actually involved with this beyond telling some magazine "yeah it's fine" and getting a stack of money, and the cast seems good. I'm not sure if I'd say this is on my radar simply due to the track record that post-T2 Terminator sequels have, but if it comes out and people say it's good, I'm not gonna be the one calling bullshit.

e: yeah, that trailer's not bad. They really seem to be taking some notes from Snyder on "how to do super-strength fights," there's a surprising amount of weight to the hits for how fast the choreography is in the hand-to-hand stuff.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

Cameron has done this with every Terminator project he hasn't been involved in: Prior to release, he goes all "Yeah, I've seen it, it's really true to the spirit of the franchise and they did a great job."

Then a month after the turd drops, he reverses course and says, "I have no loving idea what they were trying to do."

Cameron is executive producing this one, not just nebulously offering his blessing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I don't know, I feel like Cameron genuinely liking AvP makes sense when you think about where his sensibilities lie. It's a big dumb popcorn action movie in a way that most of both franchises kinda aren't (the Predator movies tend to be somewhat lower-key, for all their perception).

If he's just talking personal taste, I can see it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
You're probably thinking of T2, which actually is a really light R and would almost certainly be PG-13 if not for, like, the one shot of the T-1000 ganking John's stepdad and the bit where Miles Dyson gets shot to hell

e: wait, what, yeah, if this kid's watching you play the more recent RE games the Terminator movies will be nothing, T1 included.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
uh Terminator 2 uses the word "gently caress" a grand total of 12 times

which is more than I remembered, I'll admit, but... that's still not really a ton? like if anything that seems on the lighter end given it's a 2.5-hour-long movie

like, for comparison, Goodfellas set the record the previous year with 300 fucks

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly I just want a decently well-crafted, entertaining movie about time-traveling robots murking people

This shouldn't really be a tall ask for a Terminator movie and Dark Fate looks like it might actually give me that

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Blast Fantasto posted:

I’m glad you liked it but the fact that you couldn’t describe a single one of the new characters without naming a character from T1/T2 is concerning

I feel like this is kind of generally a problem when the characters of a franchise become so iconic that they become, more or less, archetypes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so I finally got around to Dark Fate and, you know what, I didn't hate it at all.

totally fine movie. not as good as T1 or T2 but very easily the best out of any attempt they've made post-T2. I kinda feel like it only got as much backlash as it did because the brand has been damaged so much by T3 and Salvation and Genisys that people are just kind of sick of the franchise, sick of Ahnuld being a robot, and just want the whole thing to die period.

and it's kind of sad, because, like, Dark Fate is actually a fun movie that doesn't feel like it's making GBS threads all over the first two by its very existence

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mulva posted:

Well it's still the same loving story of time traveling robot nonsense... The conceit of the setting only works the less you think about it, and the more movies they have the stupider it all becomes.

i feel like you kind of proved my point here, because your chief problem with it seems to be that it's another Terminator movie, irrespective of its actual quality. if you take those things out, it's not really Terminator anymore.

Terminator seems to be the only franchise on earth where most of its fans actively want it to die, and will be just as angry at a good new movie as they are at a bad one.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Groovelord Neato posted:

Because the story was fully told with 2. Being a fan of something doesn't mean you necessarily want more of something.

And the beauty of fiction is that, because this is not a real-life history being told, you can totally just fuckin' ignore anything they make past 2 if you want it to be that way. For me, personally, I consider 1 and 2 to be a good, complete story all on their own, but I'm also not going to turn down another good movie where Ahnuld is a robot, fighting another robot, and there's also Linda Hamilton.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Being told that John Connor doesn't matter made me super not care about the new savior of humanity, because if John dies and somebody else steps up, why should invest in, or care about any of them?

tbf, the movie does answer this. John Connor only doesn't matter because Skynet is no longer the problem. if Skynet was still the problem, then yeah, John getting glocked would be an issue; but the future changed, and both its enemy and its savior changed along with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Payndz posted:

On a sidenote, I'm playing Ghost Recon: Breakpoint, a game about killer drones and AIs gaining sentience, and one of the optional storylines involves... Terminators. Once you start it, even the music changes to become more Brad Fiedel-esque.

It's good fun, but I can't help thinking how much more awesome it would have been to have NPCs start talking about some crazy woman who says she came from the future, build up to talk about killer cyborgs so you can go "oh, it's a Terminator reference, ha ha!" - and then BAM, actual T-800 out of nowhere. Rather than there being a literal "Terminator" box on the mission select screen.

It's a consequence of the Terminator stuff being promo for Dark Fate, iirc. Wildlands did similar stuff with Predator; the Sam Fisher cameo, which wasn't tied to anything, was handled more organically iirc.

e: essentially, with promo content, they usually make it as obvious and inorganic as possible so that nobody can miss the ad, even if it makes it a worse ad.