Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
It's a pretty decent film. It's better than Salvation, T3, and Genisys... but that's not really saying much because all of those films kind of sucked. It's a better sequel film than we've had before, but that's not exactly high praise. All the actors are great, and I really liked Davis' performance as Grace. Gabriel Luna is really good, too, as this more personable machine. The film does have issues though, some more subjective than others.

Killing John still feels cheap and artificial, especially when all it does is find/replace 'John Connor' with 'Dani Ramos' and 'Skynet' with 'Legion.' Grace even gets the 'no fate' line. I guess the idea is that she picked that up, and the Terminator terminology, from Sarah? But it's just kinda... cheap.
Speaking of Legion, the film provides zero information as to why it did what it did. Even T2 had the idea that Skynet acted in self-defense.
Grace's status as an augmented human didn't really add anything to the film, beyond allowing for sweet action scenes. I guess in the Legion future, mortally wounded soldiers can opt to become augmented warriors? You'd think the film would do something with it, given that she's a cyborg as much as any Terminator is (she's even got a glowy power source in her torso.) Instead, the film has that weird 'because we're not machines, motherfucker' line towards the end.
The stuff with Carl and his wife and the Terminator being able to develop into more of a person demanded more time, although it was probably just cribbing from the TV series.
The Rev-9 was somewhat interesting. It was like it was smarter, sleeker, and swifter - but the T-800 was pound for pound stronger. But it's kind of lumped in with the fact that it's unclear why Legion ended up basically being Worse Skynet.
There's so much more they could've done with Sarah. Like, maybe a film where she hunts down Carl and his adopted family? Sort of flip things around a bit.

iamsosmrt posted:

For those who've seen it, would you say it's a good movie, or just better than you expected?

Better than I expected, although I'd say there's almost too much action and it really came at the expense of character development (especially with Grace and Sarah). The big plane set-piece kinda had me a bit fatigued of it all. I have zero interest in seeing any sequel to it, though. Let the franchise slumber.

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
The stuff with Carl is the best part of the film, particularly the bit where he talks about drapes. "I said don't do it."

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

As someone who loves the first two and wrote the franchise off after the last three, I read the whole plot synopsis on Wikipedia and I have just one question:

Do they address how "Carl" has a family and successfully adapted enough to integrate into human society without having his learning chip turned on, like in T2?

Well, the simplest answer is that it was a deleted scene and isn't canon - it wasn't in the theatrical version. No Terminator thing since T2 has used that, just going with what the theatrical T2 demonstrated, that Terminators can just learn.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
The chip scene is a really good scene, but you'd figure Terminators would have some capability to learn and adjust stored information or whatever otherwise they'd be pretty lovely infiltrating-fighting machines.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Roadie posted:

Skynet was never hyperintelligent. Remember, this is the AI that sent a robot with the incredibly intelligent and cunning plan of... looking up every Sarah Connor in the phone book and blatantly murdering them one at a time, in order.

Because it was a last ditch do-or-die strategy that happened immediately before Skynet was destroyed by Connor's resistance. And, if you go by Cameron's notes, Skynet, guilt-ridden by kicking off the apocalypse, wanted to establish a temporal loop that would lead to its own destruction. It was a desperation move; I don't think you can really argue it as proof that Skynet wasn't hyperintelligent.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
Why they didn't make the Major the Dyson kid, I'll never know. That might at least explain why he'd work with Sarah despite the film saying she's an extremely wanted fugitive.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
I assume it's a feedback loop situation where someone recovered data on the Rev-9 which led to Legion making humanoid bots, which the resistance called Terminators because that's what Sarah called them.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
I'll never understand why people are so desirous of a future war movie. We know what happens - Skynet gets defeated, sends a Terminator back. There'd be no way of maintaining the nightmare atmosphere of T1 and T2's future war sequences, which means you'd probably get something like Salvation... which people hated for not being like those sequences and also just being generic and boring in general.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Groovelord Neato posted:

Downfall sucks everyone knows how it ends.

You think you're being really smart making this comparison lol

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Wild T posted:

I'd really like to see Dave Bautista as a Terminator. He's got the right physicality and is always a solid actor, so it'd be interesting to see how he'd play that kind of role.

Blade Runner 2049.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
The TV series had some weird issue where it was like they only got partial rights, hence T-888 and T-1001 and that they could never call them Terminators.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
The thing that leaped out to me about Clarke as Sarah versus Hamilton as Sarah is how little physical presence Clarke has. Part of that is because she's about ten centimeters shorter than Hamilton, but it's one of the things that really stuck out to me in Genisys. Now it's just funny - Courtney's too big to be Reese and Clarke's too small to be Sarah.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Farm Frenzy posted:

wait, so genisys has kyle just be sort of a normal guy instead of a super commando guerilla with lifelong ptsd?

Yep. He has nothing of the manic energy that Biehn brought to the role. He's practically the everyman fish out of water character.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Fish Noise posted:

you betcha!
schoolgirl deathtank!
science teacher deathtank!
submarine captain deathtank!
20s construction tycoon deathtank!
also a comically suspiciously huge urinal that someone nonetheless tries to take a piss in

you forgot dnd playing deathtank

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
It's one of the few good bits in the film.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
Resistance is one of those janky-but-okay b-level games that it feels like we stopped getting during the Xbox 360 era.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
Ian McDiarmid was a very late addition to RotS, so, it is highly likely Matt Smith was involved (the rumour was always he played a young, rejuvenated Palpatine after all...) but I guess he got tossed out when they got McDiarmid in.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

PeterCat posted:

Given the look on Alec Guinness's face I'm still not convinced that is not a character error rather than a writing error

The script flat out calls it a lie on Han's part.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

DeimosRising posted:

lol for real?

HAN
Fast ship? You've never heard of the
Millennium Falcon?

BEN
Should I have?

HAN
It's the ship that made the Kessel
run in less than twelve parsecs!

Ben reacts to Solo's stupid attempt to impress them with
obvious misinformation.

So, maybe not 'flat out' but close enough.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's less essential than even T3, adding nothing to the series and actually retconning the more interesting parts out. It coasts entirely on familiarity with the other films, yet still barely functions as a narrative.

Also, the cinematography is the weakest to date, and the editing is bad.

I'd love to hear more because, yeah, the film felt weird and disjointed.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
Which is something the Terminator says to the Rev-9, in fact.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
killing john was just a very stupid move. it's way more interesting to see what the messiah whose destiny never came might've done when he was faced with being 'replaced' by someone else. it was especially stupid when it was just so they could have a latina messiah who has to fight skynet i mean legion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Snowman_McK posted:

I rewatched the Matrix the other night and never noticed how much his software company boss reads as a program. I don't think he's supposed to be an agent, but he definitely mirrors a lot of Smith's mannerisms from later in the film. Either a human indistinguishable from a program, or a program itself. Works well as a critique of upward mobility either way.

track down the early draft of the reloaded script if you can, it's very interesting along those lines and neo's company and such factors directly into it