Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Y'know, despite hearing this was going to suck, I was still hoping against hope it'd be good, but then I saw Goyer wrote it and :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Every loving Terminator after the T-1000 has been the exact same mix of T-800 and T-1000 and every time they act like it's new and cool and I just don't get it. Exoskeleton with liquid metal bits. Jesus, even Genisys ended with Arnold's T-800 becoming an exoskeleton with liquid metal bits.

I might be able to get into "escalating terminator threat" if they ever actually loving escalated. I liked Genisys okay because "we need to save the Terminator from John Connor" was a novel-rear end premise in a stale-rear end franchise, but for some reason nobody liked it and now I don't get to see Matt Smith as Skynet again.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

This movie doesn't work on any level if you've never seen another Terminator film.

This movie fails on every level if you've seen all the Terminator films.

Jesus Christ, what a waste of Linda Hamilton.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

What was this movie about? I keep coming back to that. It was just a bunch of stuff that happened in a row that had nothing at all to say.

Even Genisys said stuff.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SUNKOS posted:

The most interesting aspect of Salvation for me is seeing the silhouettes of humans at the top of the tower, which raised the question of not only who they were, but what if Skynet wasn't really in control? That brief clip is one of the most creative ideas the franchise has had since T2.
There's all kinds of stuff the franchise hinted at that would've made better movies than rehashing T2 over and over.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Being told that John Connor doesn't matter made me super not care about the new savior of humanity, because if John dies and somebody else steps up, why should invest in, or care about any of them?

I literally don't remember any of the new characters' names.

Edit: I liked Genisys too. I was really looking forward to where the series went in its sequels, but welp.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 30, 2020

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

tbf, the movie does answer this. John Connor only doesn't matter because Skynet is no longer the problem. if Skynet was still the problem, then yeah, John getting glocked would be an issue; but the future changed, and both its enemy and its savior changed along with it.
But why should I care? Why get invested when the last person they told me was the most important person was unceremoniously killed at the start of a movie so they could be like, "okay, new judgement day, new skynet, new resistance leader, go."

Being told that the first two canon movies worth of struggle were ultimately pointless because the exact same loving thing was going to happen anyway, just with different players, why should I care? They've told me nothing matters.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

Sarah Connor is who you should’ve cared about imo
I did before this flick began and then I watched her go all slack-jawed at a Terminator murdering her son and doing loving nothing about it, at which point it become clear that they had no idea who any of these people are.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I will say this, the show actually tries to do what everyone complains most of the Terminator movies do not: move the storyline along in new directions with new ideas. And the main reason it failed is because Fox is where sci fi shows went to die no matter how well they were actually doing with fans.
It failed because it aired on Friday.

The X-Files found an audience there, so Fox kept sticking genre shows there thinking they'd succeed and they never, ever drew big ratings.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

iamsosmrt posted:

Truth. I've quoted Furlong from that movie since I was like 7 years old. It's definitely an annoying performance, but it's pretty memorable and (unintentionally?) funny as hell at times. He's also supposed to be 10?
"She's not my mother, Todd."

That performance is underrated.

While we're here, Xander Berkley's "HEY! Shut up you worthless piece 'a poo poo!" Gold.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Holy poo poo, this is brilliant!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

AlternateAccount posted:

Naw, man. Hell naw.
It's good bad.

It's really bad, but it's good bad.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Everybody involved in Piranha 3D knew exactly what film they were making and somehow despite things never working out this way in that genre space, it was a better film for it.

Opening on Richard Dreyfus singing Show Me the Way to Go Home? Inspired.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

No. And I had a real fuckin' bad day.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Edward Furlong has a pretty terrible reputation vis a vis being a huge prick.

Not sure if it's true, but it would explain why they've never had him back since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

iamsosmrt posted:

The sad thing is even if someone wanted to do this, it'd lose the gritty 80s practical effects aesthetic that we've all had in our heads for decades and be too drat clean and crispy cgi to actually work.
I don't know about that. I thought the same about Star Wars, but then Force Awakens came out and everything looked right again, so I think it would really just take somebody who cares to make it look and feel the same outside of just using the same designs.