Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violator
May 15, 2003

iamsosmrt posted:

I saw the extended scenes hype trailer with James Cameron promoting the movie and Linda Hamilton saying "Motherfucker" :rolleyes: and nothing has improved my feelings about the movie, if anything the whole production feels more cringey now that they seem to be sincere about this trash. So it's Rated R now, big deal. Rated R is cool when it's utilized well and for dramatic effect. This seems like a R that's for 13 year old boys to sneak into and giggle at the goofy cursing and violence.

I hate that Sarah Connors has become the typical Hollywood ultra stoic and cocky action hero that's unphased by explosions and the gravity of the situation around her. If anything, being in her 60s now, it'd have been way more interesting if she came off as a reluctant hero who's extremely human and actually still afraid of the crazy Terminator poo poo happening around her.

It doesn't help that her reaction to the new Terminator who can split in two is indifference or mild annoyance as she launches a rocket at it. How are we, the potential audience, supposed to feel compelled to want to watch this thing terrorize a new victim/hero when the in-universe characters barely seem to have any emotional reaction to it. Are they even afraid of it? It's getting owned in almost every clip they show.

Man, it's funny because the movie could end up being good, but it's got one of the least appealing trailers I can remember for a big blockbuster franchise.

I honestly don't think now is the time for a heroine to be scared of the (robot) men that are trying to control and kill her. Neither for the times we live in or the evolution of the character that we saw in T2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

How do we know from the T2 alternate ending that liquid metal dudes are being manufactured in the background?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

The thing I find especially weird about this Rev-9 machine that can split into two components is that like... Why not just have a T-800 teaming up with a T-1000? Two Terminators could present a pretty new dynamic.

That'd be interesting. Two foes with different weaknesses. And you could do an interesting stuff like where you melt the skin off the T800 but he shows back up fine, and then reveal the T1000 is layered on top of the T800 so it can keep it's disguise or something. Go back to them being serial killers working together using relative stealth to blend in instead of war machines that blow up city blocks.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah this is a cool concept. Would probably make a killer Twilight Zone episode though. A machine in the future trying to take out a group of targets who absolutely have to stay off the grid, otherwise they get future sniped.

Oh that’s nice. Seen by a security camera? Camera phone? Your voice recorded? You’re vaporized. How do you complete your mission in a metropolis when the world thinks you’re a terrorist and you have the military, police, and terminators hunting you down?

Violator
May 15, 2003

I just saw the trailer for Arnold‘s Terminator character in MK11 and a bunch of his attacks use purple lasers.

Violator
May 15, 2003

iamsosmrt posted:

The T-800 must be getting all the blame for their murders right?

T3 should have been John going to prison for their murder and then Sarah and a reprogrammed T1000 breaking him out while running from a gas based Terminator. It’s like poetry, it rhymes.

Edit: Either gas particle based nano-like machines or a robot who has to drink gas for fuel and is very very loud mechanically when he moves and constantly farts exhaust would work.

Violator fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 13, 2020

Violator
May 15, 2003

iamsosmrt posted:

This sounds like a typical 90s kids movie villain. Or a Michael Bay Transformer.

Constantly carries around a glass of gasoline like that guy in Trailer Park Boys. Old man takes a whiff at a bar and says “Wowee! That’s some high octane stuff, son!” and the Terminator winks at the camera.

Edit: title: Terminator 3, People 0

Violator fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 13, 2020

Violator
May 15, 2003

So if T2 ends with "no fate but what we make" and the possibility of a bright future is Dark Fate telling us that we must vigilant against an ever present evil future? It's not what fate we create for ourselves but that the future is inherently evil and must be continually stopped?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

That Christian assassinating Jesus movie was more inventive with time traveling shenanigans than the latter Terminator films are.

What the?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Didn’t the director say that there was a lot more anti-ICE and pro-immigration stuff that either the studio or Cameron forced him to take out? I know he was surprising outspoken about Cameron’s involvement being overbearing.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Yeah, for some reason I seem to remember everyone including him concluding that what he did in that movie was the extent that he could reasonably contribute based on his capabilities and life situation.

I think I’ve said it before, but I wish after T2 they would have explored other genres like Cloverfield. Upgrade from 2018/19 (?) was the best Terminator movie since T2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

“COME ON rear end in a top hat, IM JUST DOING MY JOB HERE. BEEP BEEP. THESE CALZONES ARE GETTING COLD AND ITS MY rear end IF I DONT GET THEM THERE. BEEP.”