Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

They keep changing the future so every time one comes back, it's some other super hosed up monstrosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah, I didn't want to go too hard in the paint over it, because for all I know he's mellowed, but... you know, James Cameron.
Watch his sci fi show where he talks about different movies and interviews directors. He watches *everything* and is nicer on movies than we generally are.

He just typically interviews with no filter until he realizes he should take it back later.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

galagazombie posted:

I don't really consider the bikes or giant mecha "Terminators" The first two were pretty clear that Terminators were infiltration/Assassin units and all the other things were just killer robots. I'm saying come up with some cool infiltration tactics. A dog that's a terminator, a child, one that wears the corpses of resistance members, just something besides the first two.

That's called Screamers.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Adlai Stevenson posted:

how can anyone hate this movie

That wasnt even in the movie.

But the fan cut that takes out all the silly parts is actually the best fan cut of any movie I've ever seen and makes the movie halfway decent (and a pretty tight film).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The ending surprised me when I saw it and elevated the theatrical cut to mediocre.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Narzack posted:

Remember, he also thought AvP was great

He said it was dumb until he realized that PR is a thing and walked it back like he does with everything else.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

Well at the time it was just Alien, Aliens, Cubed, Resurrection, and AvP

He probably wasn't counting his own movie so it was probably a super backhanded compliment.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

He was definitely counting his own movie.

When he was talking to Scott he self depreciated Aliens and said Alien was way better and he couldn't even touch what Scott did.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

It just doesn't really match his taste on the sci fi series he did. I think he only barely mentioned AvP in passing in the aliens episode, just like he mostly ignored any Terminator he had nothing to do with in the time travel one. Yet, he really focused on or gushed about stuff like Blade Runner, Robocop, Interstellar, and Starship Troopers - his tastes seem to pretty much jibe with the majority here.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Crimpolioni posted:

It's not controversial to say five year olds shouldn't be watching R rated movies.

Depends on the movie and the person. The MPAA is moronic and ratings are often arbitrary. The only difference between Jurassic Park's PG13 and Terminator 2's R is saying gently caress multiple times. Titanic's PG13 has titties but because the sex scene is 10 minutes removed from showing the titties, it's PG13 as opposed to another movie that shows titties during its sex scene's R. Saying gently caress once can still own a PG-13 rating, but twice is an R, and that once has to not be referencing sex. And there aren't really PG movies anymore, so it's cartoon, PG-13, or R.

I mean, remember, The Matrix series is R. I think "gently caress" is said once in it, there's practically no blood, and we kind of maybe see a nipple in that dance sequence.

You just have to talk to your kid about the context of what they are seeing and judge if you think they can handle it or not.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SCC: follows T2 and more Terminators are sent back (good and bad) because the future war is now a straight up Time War with stuff being sent back and forth all over the place, and a T-1000 that spent too much time on its own decides "gently caress Skynet" and builds its own A.I. to counter Skynet's development, too. Then John Conner gets sent into the future in the middle of the future war and the show ends.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'd like a Future War movie that just follows, like, a random family and the low grade Terminators. Kind of like how T4 was supposed to be, but even smaller scale. Similar to how, if someone actually wants to make an Aliens sequel, just do "Hadley's Hope."

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

What, no, even without the deleted scenes (which aren't necessary; the implications are clear from robot parts being left around even before T2 came out), T-1 is a closed loop/grandfather paradox on its own. Part of the pathos is the fact that John is so hardcore/desperate that he's willing to coach his own father to fall for his mom and then send him back to his death. Basically the (J)esus (C)hrist character does the reversal of the Bible; the son sends the father as a willing sacrifice to save humanity.

Then, each successive movie changed the time travel rules somewhat to fit whatever that particular movie was. And the show just has a temporal war with like 4 different factions.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah. TSCC is praised for playing with ideas that were better than the concurrent movies were playing with, and doing a few surprising things with the mythos.

It's not that it's an actual *great* show, it's just marginally more interesting than concurrent, similar things. It's not a Hannibal or The Wire or Spartacus, it's just a network distraction.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Fried Watermelon posted:

Did Skynet ever send a Terminator forward in time?

Kind of; John Connor from the 2000s got sent to the future war.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

galagazombie posted:

"Instead of using this head start to set up an inescapable trap or stop it before it happens, lets just skip all this valuable set-up time and warp to the very moment of disaster and wing it with no preparation or planning!" God Genysis and TSCC were dumb.

That's not what TSCC did at all, really.

Basically the answer to every Terminator related time travel question is "TSCC did it." Including sending them way back with time machine blueprints to gradually build time machines and T-1000s being around too long to create their own awareness and building their own Skynets that are better than actual Skynet because they think Skynet sucks. TSCC was all a temporal war with warring timelines.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

iamsosmrt posted:

I never watched TSCC, and reading posts from this thread makes me glad I never did and never will.

Reading summaries of things always sounds terrible. Aliens or T2 would sound stupid reading a flat summary as a followup to seeing the first films without actually seeing the movie. Especially a TV show since they are typically set up to have peaks and plot changes in every episode while still having season long arcs.

Not that TSCC was anything but an amusing diversion (still better than anything after T2 except the fan cut of 3 that is the best fan cut of anything ever), but that's still a pretty bad rule of thumb to judge anything by.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

iamsosmrt posted:

I could totally see John having an Isildur moment where he's like wait a second, why would I destroy a time machine?

Hell, that future was probably already so hosed up that their best bets were to send everyone back to a happier time with the expectation that they're creating alternate realities anyway, thus not really ruining anything. Maybe that could be the basis of a sequel series.

Sarah Conner Chronicles touched on this, too, haha.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

iamsosmrt posted:

Right, that's how I always understood it. I just mean there's no logical reason to send a lovely T-800 when you have perfectly good T-1000s. It's like if Apple gave some of their top execs iPad Airs when they've already produced Pros.

My only logical head canon explanation would be that the T-1000 didn't even exist until Reese changed something in the past.

Terminator 2 says that the T-1000 was a prototype. Skynet just basically sent an untested prototype out as part of a last-ditch effort.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

MrMojok posted:

...he said, until he reached Season 2

Earlier S2 had some writer's strike or something issues, and then a bunch of dry eps, but then it picks up at the end and gets ridiculous in a good way.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Alien 3 is superb and a perfect way to end the series.

Regarding Bishop and the egg on the Sulaco. Bishop went AWOL in Aliens while up on the dish getting a ship down to escape, and Ripley even commented on wondering where the hell he was as the Queen came up to confront her after plenty of time had passed. Given earlier scenes in the movie where the marine gets spooked as Bishop is utterly fascinated by the facehugger he's dissecting (waving his face in front of him and asking "You there?" before being treated to bishop looking freaky as gently caress) the film pretty much bashes you over the head with Bishop being a typical WY droid and using his opportunity to get an egg up to the Sulaco before coming back for Ripley. He states he cannot harm or allow humans to be harmed, but that doesn't stop him taking a specimen and hiding it away with something that overrides that, much like the movie before it where it was "Crew expendable".

Even attempting to read it like that retroactively ruins one of the themes of Aliens.

Cameron did the exact same thing in Aliens he did in Terminator 2. In Alien, the robot was the villain, just like in Terminator. Aliens and Terminator 2 start with the (obvious) robot being portrayed as the villain again only for the villain to actually be the human/guy that comes off as human. Bishop isn't revealed as "good" until Burke does his heel term, which was the whole point in a subversion of audience expectations at the time. I especially remember this because I saw Aliens when released at the movies, and people were super wary of Bishop due to Ash and him looking shady, while Burke seemed genuinely helpful.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

The big theme of the Alien movies (the good ones, which are the first three) is anti-capitalism, not that robots are bad. Even watching the movies muted without subtitles, I still don't see how this could fly over the head of a viewer.

I didnt say the theme was robots were bad. Aliens shows how The Company, a.k.a. capitalism stretches to the common man and corrupts them, and that's the true problem, and ita exacerbated by it being contrasted by the creepy robot built by WY that was I initially gonna be The Terminator not being the issue and doing what he was supposed to do.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sodomy Hussein posted:

People say this but you'd have to be brain dead not to pick up on Arnie being the good guy in the way they present him, given Bad to the Bone and all. Robert Patrick is also noticeably creepy throughout. Terminator I Arnold would've just shoved his fist through the first biker's heart, but he only threatens to go lethal in 2 for black comedy gags.

This is also a couple of months after Rodney King and the L.A. riots, so putting your trust in the cop would also mean you're culturally tone deaf.

Robert Patrick would come off as a hyperconfident, more morally grey, soldier sent back, as opposed to the twitchy Kyle Reese, who would be better at getting things done. He knocked out a cop with one hit instead of scrambling, running from them, and could actually blend into society as a cop, which neither Kyle or the previous Terminator could do. He was just an antihero in presentation and his cop image supported that. The T800 didnt kill anyone unless it was threatened or felt it was the most prudent path (gently caress off option to the landlord as opposed to killing the gun store owner) so he just didn't kill everyone in the bar because he didnt need to (reminder that he was still willing to kill anyone anyway at that point even as the protagonist).

Bad to the Bone was just super 90s and made it seem like the movie was just a bit more comedic than the last.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Believe whatever you want about the cop who doesn't blink I guess

He purposefully did not show the cop morph clothes on or kill anyone until the ambiguous scene where both are chasing John and he is shot from the audience surrogate perspective with the robot villain from the first movie saying "get down" as a complete surprise to John. Then after that point, he all of a sudden blatantly morphs and kills people, but it was not meant to be a subversion/twist; it's just a coincidence.

The Prestige has a kid talking about magic tricks killing brothers 10 minutes into the film, and Tyler Durden pops up all over the place before he shows up as a character in Flight Club. Having subversions as completely organic parts of the plot that are evident in retrospect are how good twists are done.

Darko fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 25, 2020

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Half of the show took place during the writers strike, too. Its had so much going against it at the time, which is hard to see in retrospect, and helps to explain why it got a lot forgiven at the time, even when it went through a large dip.

Given that the main Terminators were Dillahunt (great actor) and Manson (great in the role), I don't see complaints about that.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It's not Citizen Kane but it had a better story idea and more of a reason to exist than 3, 4, or 5.

It was a bit of a disappointment to listen to the director's commentary and hear how many more interesting ideas James Cameron personally nixed.

He always does that. He pretty much always chooses mass worldwide appeal over possibly confusing anyone.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Wasn't Piranha 3D supposed to be pretty good?

It's good for a genre piece that is self aware and knows what it is and takes it exactly where it needs to go. You make a killer piranha movie, you gorily kill 30 people and you have someone's dick get bitten off by a piranha and show it and still have the guy complain about his dick being eaten off.

It's Aja, too, so that's why it's higher quality than most. For instance, his Hills Have Eyes is better than Craven's (and especially the second one).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dark Fate also got caught in the start of the RW grifter culture wars. Mexicans and women taking over the so dudebro Terminator franchise that was famous for having women as the leads and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

I remember being speechless about how bad Salvation was vs. the cast and most of the high effects quality and the potential of the premise of it being a prequel, sequel, and reboot simultaneously and it finally being a movie focusing on the future war.

Mix of just a not good director and behind the scenes nonsense. Something that should have been great muddled with. And one of my earlier examples of it to make me dislike studios.