Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

What is it going to take for them to stop making these movies, because that sounds horrendous on every level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Yeah it pretty obviously goes:

- Ash gets time traveled to one of the timelines where there are multiple Terminators
- He scraps with the T-800, gets beat up and flees
- He finds some leftover Terminator pieces, replaces his missing hand with one (maybe some T-1000 goo?)
- Goes to find the T-800, ends up discovering the Deadites are up to something with Skynet
- Recruits the T-800 to help him put down the zombies
- Lengthy action sequence with both of them shotgun mowing down a bunch of undead machine demons
- Pepper some references to the previous movies in there (the T-2 thumbs up, some Evil Dead weirdness, etc)

What's Sam Raimi doing these days, I'm sure you could talk him into it. Although Bruce Campbell said he's done, so maybe just do it up as an animated mini-series or something.

Wild T posted:

*The fact that the first scene a Terminator appears in establishes that they can easily punch holes through human torsos makes things like the T-800 repeatedly throwing Christian Bale around in Salvation even dumber.

Man Bale really poo poo the bed in that movie hard. He's lucky most people don't even remember it. We did get Mike Ironside as the badass commander living out on a nuclear sub though, and the attending sequence of it getting mini-nuked.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The police station attack, in retrospect, is an obvious plot contrivance, albeit not one that goes against anything previously established. The T-800 figures out his target is nearby, possibly immobile and without protection, and he can feasibly take out anyone or anything that gets in his way. The future war flashback shows us that Terminator units generally only care about infiltration to the extent that it gets them past security and into vulnerable areas where they can do maximum damage or get their targets within reach. But given the emphasis on infiltration, the T-800 could have just as easily waited for a cop to leave, kill him, take his uniform, make his way inside the station and assassinate Sarah with much less fanfare or attention. It could have waited for the cops to release Sarah or try to transport her somewhere else and taken her out then. It's not like the machine was in a rush.

I like the idea of the Connors having to work with Skynet because if they don't then humanity doesn't survive as something worse than Skynet arises. Or Skynet using modern internet infrastructure to turn every single device into a mini-Terminator or weapon could have some legs, although they used that idea in the 2nd Remembrance of Earth's Past book and it's not something that can sustain an entire movie I don't think. IMO the franchise is probably tapped out until Arnold and/or Cameron dies.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Ostensibly there might be a time in the distant future where humanity has recovered and doesn't take the myth of Skynet seriously anymore and an actual infiltrator unit could gently caress some poo poo up/set up the return of Skynet.

Alternatively, maybe Skynet ran a bunch of probability matrixes and figured out that it's key to survival was sending a Terminator forwards in the future to stave off some other threat (aliens? climate change? extinction level celestial event? weird divergence in human technology that leads to a biological enemy rather than a technological one and having a machine that's immune to a plague or parasites or whatever would be extremely clutch?) in order to help humanity survive that. poo poo, I'd watch that over another redux of the Conner Family Chronicles.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The eventual outrage over the Latino-looking nu-Terminator murdering several dozen CBP gestapo and incidentally freeing a bunch of detained migrants should be some nice advertising once the conservative media machine notices it.

I don't know if it looks good but it looks entertaining. Something I wouldn't mind seeing in IMAX maybe but nothing I have high hopes for.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Mameluke posted:

Honestly this is a pretty good idea. Paranoid movies are always fun, and an AI should be able to do a lot with a gun that blows a 2-metre sphere through any point in time and space

Yeah this is a cool concept. Would probably make a killer Twilight Zone episode though. A machine in the future trying to take out a group of targets who absolutely have to stay off the grid, otherwise they get future sniped.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Phenotype posted:

All I care about is that I get to see someone futilely unloading an entire magazine into a robot's face and the robot doesn't even blink, like, why did you even think that would work?

Also at least one scene where the super strong robot puts his hands on the protagonist and then throws them non-fatally across the room instead of just snapping them in half.

Well that first one is the second to last bit of the official trailer, so you're halfway there.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Cameron ruined Terminator by having a sequel, period. Like, I love T2 as much as the next guy (the only downside I have for it is that I've simply watched so many various versions of it, plus bonus content, that the well has completely run dry), but man did it set the precedent that you can always say there's another last-ditch attempt by Skynet to send yet another Terminator, followed by yet another protector, blah blah blah. I suppose a case could be made that Cameron being involved means it'll be fine, but ehhh. Who knows, maybe with Cameron in (some sort of) control, it'll be different.

Terminator 1 was a simple, clean story, especially with the bonus ending bit where it's revealed that the place she fought the Terminator was Cyberdyne. Both leaders of a future war have been created by that which was sent back to do so, there will be a terrible war, but humanity will ultimately overcome it.

e: vvv kinda. I explained it in an earlier post, but the long and short of it is that events of T1 changed the end-of-the-future-war stuff. It's all weird.

I watched Terminator 1 the other night on Amazon Prime because I couldn't sleep and honestly I have to agree, T2 was a mistake. It's a wonderful piece of filmmaking but it ruins the story set up in the first movie and flips the series from "feverish horror thriller" to "action movie overload". The narrative allowances of the sequel completely undermine the stakes and worldbuilding of the first movie. If Skynet had time to send a T-1000 back, why send it to 1992? Why not 1984, to kill Sarah Connor in the hospital as she recovers from the encounter with the T-800? It also opens the door to endless sequels, because there's always another time machine and another upgraded Terminator and another reprogrammed T-800.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Phenotype posted:

When do they explicitly say the T-1000 was sent from the same future as the T-800? I always thought the T-1000 was sent from a different future reflecting the changes that the T-800 rampage made to the timeline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXfJlET4PSI

I can't find the clip online but there's another segment in the movie where they say explicitly that the Resistance in the future discovers that the T-1000 got sent after the T-800 from T1 and sent back the reprogrammed T-800 before they blew up the time machine.

The T2 story adds a pretty significant wrinkle to the closed loop airtight narrative of T1 (the actions of the future directly result in the creation of both John Connor and Skynet) that again, don't really make sense if you think about it. If they can send the T-1000 back to 1992 then they can send it back to 1984 or 1977 or whenever. If John's actions in T2 stop Skynet, does that mean that humanity is free of an eventual war with the machines? The later sequels take these and run with it. T3 is the "machine war is our fate no matter what", Genisys is the "what's stopping Skynet from sending a T-whatever back to kill Sarah Connor as a baby", "What if Skynet corrupts John Connor", etc.

Again T2 is one of the all time great action movies and I'm happy to watch it whenever it's on TV or I need to kill a couple of hours but it got the stone rolling on the incremental degradation of the internal logic of the series and I highly doubt DF is going to turn that around, even if it does look fun.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 8, 2019

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

A lot of the dialogue is very bad but otherwise this seems mediocre to fine? The Terminator tag team fight looks pretty interesting but the rest of the action set pieces seem fairly rote. I'll probably catch a matinee.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

Every loving Terminator after the T-1000 has been the exact same mix of T-800 and T-1000 and every time they act like it's new and cool and I just don't get it. Exoskeleton with liquid metal bits. Jesus, even Genisys ended with Arnold's T-800 becoming an exoskeleton with liquid metal bits.

I might be able to get into "escalating terminator threat" if they ever actually loving escalated. I liked Genisys okay because "we need to save the Terminator from John Connor" was a novel-rear end premise in a stale-rear end franchise, but for some reason nobody liked it and now I don't get to see Matt Smith as Skynet again.

The T-3000? (whatever John Connor's model was) in Genisys was actually pretty loving threatening. Walking up walls, the shockwave flensing thing, etc were some new takes on where you could go with the utility or lethality of an advanced Terminator, even if the rest of the movie was meh. I think the issue is that the filmmakers want the Terminator to be threatening but still adhere to "human" rules of function, which is dumb. A liquid metal Terminator doesn't need to run after you - it just can flow through pipes or floorboards or whatever faster than you can navigate a building, or drape itself around an object until you get close enough to skewer. Why do all the exoskeleton bots adhere to human movement patterns - you're telling me an advanced machine brain from the future couldn't figure out how to make a robot that can do some weird poo poo humans can't really fight back against? You could argue that's against the rules, given what we see the T-800 do in the first movie but since then they've messed with that a lot. Even the heavy metal bots can sprint now, whereas we never see Arnie move faster than a jog in T1.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Bay is a decent director, he's just climbed up his own rear end like most directors do when they don't have to worry about money or success any more.

https://twitter.com/joeylinn_/status/1186674786811834369?s=19

I actually laughed at this, interesting advertising choice but the execution worked better than you might think.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

If the point of this movie is that no matter what humanity will create a genocidal super AI but survive and eventually prevail thanks to the leadership of someone who was prepared for the future war, then the more interesting ending would've been Dani sacrificing herself to take out the Rev-9 and then Sarah Connor teaming up with the girl Terminator to set up some kind of future war resistance leader academy .

Unfortunate that the movie didn't do well but yeah it doesn't seem like the marketing was effective and they weren't offering something new to try and draw in audiences who don't care or are tapped out on this franchise.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

david_a posted:

For some reason I decided to see this in the theatre.

I think I’m in the Genesys > Dark Fate contingent. Give that movie some better casting and maybe some more time fuckery so Old Sarah could join in and you would have really had something. Also less poo poo like this:

I swear those promo images seriously poisoned the movie for a lot of people

I remember being mildly interested because of these promo photos and the speculation around Matt Smith's role in particular. Like "what the gently caress are they gonna do with the doctor who guy in a terminator movie?" The answer was "cut him a paycheck to do nothing", apparently.

Groovelord Neato posted:

All the post-T2 sequels are varying degrees of terrible and I have a hard time saying which is worse than which. Gun to my head I'd say Gensys.

I think 3 is the worst? Salvation and Genisys at least try do some stuff, 3 is just the linear progression of the story without anything to elevate it. The missile launch sequence at the end is easily the best part and everything else is mediocre to bad with nothing to redeem it.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

iamsosmrt posted:

What's Guillermo Del Toro doing these days? Or Peter Jackson. Maybe one of them can do an original spin on this genre to show people it can be done well.

Peter Jackson is horrifically uneven and should probably stick to documentaries. GDT is never doing another sequel again, short of him standing up his own IP. Just let the franchise die. Slapping the Terminator brand is a death knell for interesting machine human conflict stories at this point.

Speaking of T3, I remember having to get a random grown-up in line at a movie theater to buy tickets for my brothers and I as teens because the clerk was being a real hardass about the R rating. We laughed though the entire thing and couldn't possibly understand why it had that rating, aside from the brief nudity.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

I really enjoyed Elysium but Damon was miscast and I'm not sure what Jodie Foster thought she was doing. It was like a bad Christine Lagarde impression. Also despite the strong themes the whole thing felt underbaked and they kept doing that stupid over the shoulder first person shooter camera poo poo during the action scenes for no reason. The first and last 20 minutes are great and everything else is kind of just a muddle with some bright spots and cool production design.

As always, Sharlto Copley was a loving delight and I would gladly watch another two hours of him as an immortal apartheid-loving cyborg paramilitary freakout.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Roadie posted:

That's part of why I really like that one opening scene in Genisys with the T-800. It gives a real good sense of two weighty robots fighting each other with plenty of inertia and a certain amount of clumsiness to it.

The T-800 fight in Genisys is pretty good, although it is marred by the sub-standard punk casting. They should've used the de-aging effect on Paxton and the other guy at least.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Downloaded this the other day and actually liked it quite a lot. It's a bit overwrought, they don't really sell Grace as the future savior of mankind, and they probably should've left both Arnie and Linda Hamilton out of it but this has grown on me overall.

The new Terminator guy is great, the cyborg girl is equally badass, and most of the action setpieces work even if they're a little too videogamey overall. The big showdown felt just a little too contrived, even by action movie standards. In Grace's memory of the future we see a bunch of Rev-7s just loving poo poo up by letting the liquid metal part go full tentacle thresher while the endoskeleton closes the gap. Even one robot versus several Teknet soldiers is barely an even match. In the final fight there's no need for the Rev-9 to maintain the infiltrator disguise, so why wouldn't it do the same? Even so, still pretty entertaining.

If they hadn't tainted the well with T3, Salvation, and Genisys I think this would've been much more well received.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 25, 2020

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

There's no way "kill off John Connor in the opening" as the immediate follow up to T2 would've been well received. At least for me any positive feelings I have about the movie are because "at least it's not as garbage as the other sequels".

I thought the consensus was that the T2 version of John Connor was from fine to scene-ruining bad, depending on the viewer's personal feelings towards child actors?

FWIW I think killing off JC was ill-advised because the story is more interesting with him alive but denied his grand destiny and forced to deal with being just another person who gets (probably) gets turned into a pile of ashes when Legion kicks off the new improved iteration of judgment day.

jojoinnit posted:

The real movie was the Rev 9 Vs Grace. Linda and Arnold pulled it into the Terminator franchise but they could have been written out without losing much. The real movie was fantastic, if it weren't branded Terminator I think it would have been more acclaimed. That being said I totally enjoyed them being in it, LH is still badass as ever.

Yeah both Rev 9 and Grace really sold it, too bad we won't get more of either of them in those roles.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

The third act drags it down in my view.

The big showdown has some very contrived interactions that just don't make sense. I think there are at least two points where they could've thrown the Rev-9 into the turbine but just don't? Also the Rev-9 talking to the good guys before engaging is kind of forced - why would it care about trying to convince them? And of course the inevitable "getting within five feet of a Terminator = instant death, except when it doesn't".

There are just a few too many overwrought callbacks to T2 which is unfortunate because it's a really solid entry in the series and both Gabriel Luna and McKenzie Davis are extremely good throughout. Almost all of the action is solid, Hamilton and Arnie are decent enough, Juanita Conor is fine for what her role is, it has some interesting political themes that don't really get explored enough, etc. If this is the last Terminator related thing that ever gets a major release I won't be mad at it.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

david_a posted:

This is literally the first time I have seen any praise for Natalia Reyes in that movie.

The biggest problem with Dark Fate is that it’s number six in the franchise. If it was the third movie I would have been a lot more lenient of the massive amount of callbacks and attempted escalations but we’ve already seen all this before.

If the previous 3 didn't exist and you made this same movie in the early 2000s or later it probably would've done pretty well.

The ICE stuff maybe wouldn't have been as topically relevant but you could always replace that with the nu-machine war messiah being a refugee from the middle east or something.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It's not Citizen Kane but it had a better story idea and more of a reason to exist than 3, 4, or 5.

It was a bit of a disappointment to listen to the director's commentary and hear how many more interesting ideas James Cameron personally nixed.

What were some of the nixed ideas? I thought Cameron's involvement was limited to just including his name for more authenticity among people who might actually care about that sort of thing.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

iamsosmrt posted:

Having re-watched last week, John's foster parents got hosed. They seem like the best case scenario as far as fosters go. John treats them like shits and they get murdered just for taking him in.

The T-800 must be getting all the blame for their murders right?

John has a motor bike and access to a bunch of computer parts that couldn't have been cheap in the early 90s, and in a deleted scene I think we see that he has a fairly nice room of his own with lots of toys and stuff.

The foster parents were dweebs but they seemed to just want to take care of him and try to undo whatever bad habits he picked up from his rambling childhood with a suspected terrorist mother. Can't blame them for that and certainly nothing that warrants violent murder by robot.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

I struggle to think of any child actors who turned out okay. Maybe Christian Bale and Natalie Portman? Though the former is apparently an emotionally unstable weirdo and the latter had parents who basically didn't let her act for like a decade after their experience working with renowned creeper Luc Besson on the Professional as well as rightfully recoiling from the attention brought on by that movie.

The entire industry needs an overhaul and/or scouring before it can be safe for kids, essentially.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Fragmented posted:

The first 25 minutes of Dark Fate are some of the best action put on film fight me. Like seriously just watch it again.

I've gone back and rewatched it a few times, all the action sequences are great the parts in between are just very middling.

ruddiger posted:

I was feeling pretty good watching this scene

TBH I was surprised there was no chud outrage over this, he murks like a dozen CBP/ICE guys in that sequence alone and probably another 15-20 military or law enforcement people on top of that throughout the movie? Definitely the most anti-establishment death count I can think of in recent years.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Heroic robot sent back to beat ICE - not to stop Judgment Day, but to simply to prevent humanity’s 1000-year reich - is the first good sequel idea I’ve heard.

:hmmyes:

Sir Kodiak posted:

That's the problem with it.

James Cameron talks about the choice of the T-1000 being a cop, not just in the practical sense of how the robot could make use of the disguise, but also how it characterizes him. As he says on the commentary track, "cops think of all non-cops as less than they are: stupid, weak, and evil." And that's the T-1000: condescending, brutal, and assured of its superiority. As such, he fits into the LA police department perfectly. The only police officer he kills, and even this is off-screen and we have to assume, is the one whose identity he steals at the very beginning.

Whereas you don't get that with the Border Patrol stuff. He has to kill the people in the drone-control room to be able to surveil the target he wants. His efforts to take charge of his targets result in another fight. The implication is that the Border Patrol system is resistant to his efforts rather than him slotting in naturally.

Similarly, I don't see how it informs his personality. If we think of how this iteration of the shapeshifting robot is different, he's friendlier than the T-1000; got an easy smile when he wants to charm someone. But what does that say about the Border Patrol as compared to the LA police?

Feels like this is the result of them trying to show him as bad and ruthless, but yeah your point is correct. He's effective enough as an infiltrator that he doesn't need to kill any of the security or law enforcement people, he can just talk his way in or find a workaround. Comes down to not having a coherent vision beyond "robots bad" I guess.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Horizon Burning posted:

killing john was just a very stupid move. it's way more interesting to see what the messiah whose destiny never came might've done when he was faced with being 'replaced' by someone else. it was especially stupid when it was just so they could have a latina messiah who has to fight skynet i mean legion.

Having John be in the role that Arnie played would've been immensely more interesting - his destiny has been supplanted by a new "messiah" but he can't really go back to being a normal person because OG Terminators kept showing up so he fakes his death and then goes into hiding, spending his free time tracking temporal anomalies so that his mom can hunt down the robots. Until one day the Terminator that shows up isn't the one he knows and doesn't care about him at all. How does he deal with that while also trying to help this new savior get comfortable with her destiny? What is his relationship with Sarah like?

IDK how you finagle the aircraft sequence in there, which was one of the cooler set pieces, without an extra terminator but it certainly raises the stakes for the big final showdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Moviefight: Terminator Salvation vs Matrix Revolutions

Revolutions is great, definitely a movie that has grown on me as time progressed. The Zion invasion is an underrated action sequence, but the whole thing whips.