Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
You'll never guess what came in the mail today!

Imgur Album

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Ok goons I’m stuck on 2-7. Any advice?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Monopthalmus posted:

I got stuck there too. You can ride the ladybugs though!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm digging all the goons playing this on actual Gameboys, modded or otherwise

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I have 2 or three copies of this and can't for the life of me find any. I guess I'll be playing on my everdrive, but I was excited to do the actual cart. I was going to do it on a super Gameboy, but I leave on vacation tomorrow so it looks like GBA SP. Basically all my plans are falling apart.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Well thread, I decided to at least play the games that I physically own for this game club since there's no excuse to just slapping the cart into a Gameboy and going. I made it up to level 1-2 after spending an embarrassingly long time failing at the first four because I have little patience in arcade Donkey Kong. Somehow along the way I accidentally quasi-learned out to do a back flip in the game even! I put it down for a bit and came back to it later only to discover that surprise! the save battery is dead. Time to see who's got the best deals on batteries on eBay.

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.

Monopthalmus posted:

This is the first hard-ish level! You wanna time your lever pulls so the hurty bugs get trapped but the ladybugs you can ride can get where you wanna go.

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

Glare Seethe posted:

Airplane was trash. 6-6 can gently caress off.

Other than that this game is very good.

Extremely same. There have been a couple of levels where I'm like :pram: and can't figure out I should flip lever B before lever A, but World 6 is just really mechanically challenging. To anyone who's still early in the game: start practicing triple jumps now!

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
Played through the first two worlds in one session to discover my cart's battery is dead. :negative: Guess I'll have to replace it since I don't want to emulate the game. Really enjoying it so far.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh, I challenge everyone to pick up all the bonus items on every level. Some of them are pretty difficult!

bear named tators posted:

MvDK's not nearly as good. I bounced off of it hard years ago, but giving it another shot now that I've played DK 94... it's really floaty and gummy feeling; The only thing control-wise I see that's an improvement over 94 is that you can grab onto ladders by jumping onto them. And the presentation just isn't as perfect; the between-level cinematics where they show you new moves aren't as good because they aren't framed (at least in the beginning) as confrontations between Mario and DK, just as "Tutorials". Rescuing Mini-Marios is a weird premise to begin with and alternating that in with finding keys to open doors isn't as straightforward as the door > door > door> door > Pauline progression in 94. It's not a terrible game, but it's overall just as mushy as its pre-rendered graphics.
That's how I feel about it pretty much. It almost feels a bit cargo cult. Then again, I felt that way about the original New Super Mario Bros. for the DS but I think they made some really good sequels so maybe if they kept at it it would've evened out.

HMC
May 18, 2009

Monopthalmus posted:

I've owned this game since I was five years old and this was always the farthest I ever made it until I revisited the game in my early 20s.

Anyway, I finished the game!

Good game! I played through it maybe a year or two ago, buy I think this time, more than any other, I found myself getting kind of annoyed with some of the later levels. 9-3, for example, consists of an egregious amount of waiting for DK Jr. to flip the switch while avoiding enemies in tight spaces and then hoping the mushroom RNG doesn't gently caress you on the way to the top. Maybe it's just that games like Celeste and Super Meat Boy have spoiled me, but the amount of time waiting for the level to restart kinda wears on me after a while. Definitely a game that should be played in shorter bursts rather than larger ones, imo. Do I need to hear the little level-start jingle EVERY time?

I feel like I probably do it every time, but I like how tempting it is to launch yourself at Pauline at full speed in level 9-6, but if you do you'll overshoot her and launch yourself at Donkey Kong and he'll just slams the poo poo out of you. Mario has a very unique weightiness to him in this game that gives his deaths a lot of oomph. The sound design on Mario cracking his head when he falls from a great height is very good.

I tried to sorta speedrun the levels on this playthrough, to the best of my ability, as I thought it'd be fun to share scores here, but I was disappointed to learn that the game only saves your best scores for the whole cartridge, so I have no way of differentiating scores from the last time I played it. :( There's also no way to even pause to see the records menu once you unlock the final boss until you finish it and reset the game, which is annoying.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Hey... kid... yeah you...

Got something that might interest ya

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe
Got this as a replacement in 1994 for my old gray one that my sister drowned in the tub.

Mode 7 posted:

it was built like a tank, ran for hours on just two AA batteries, and perhaps most importantly, in the West it came with a pack-in copy of Tetris.

Let me be the guy to point out that the original Game Boy needed four AA batteries:

The screen cover is loose:

Still working fine though:

Played Donkey Kong on the Super Game Boy. While it didn't exactly provide the gameplay I expected from a game where you get to control Mario, it kicked rear end. Had a great soundtrack too.

Good games:
Wario Land & Wario Land II
Kirby's Dreamland 2
Link's Awakening
Turtles II - Back from the Sewers

I also used to own a translucent Game Boy Color which gave me my first Metal Gear experience.
Super Mario Bros Deluxe was also a neat port.

Games that can rot in PCB-hell:
A Boy and his Blob - The Rescue of Princess Blobette
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Bugs Bunny in Crazy Castle 2
Mortal Kombat 3

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
You can get a replacement cover for <$5 USD from Console5. I just got the GameBoy Color one for my new screen.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Sadly I wanted to play this on real hardware at least for a bit, but my cartridge's battery is dead and thus no way to save progress (and I can't replace the battery at this time)

So it's back to emulation for me once I'm home from vacation.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Oh thank gently caress it’s a good game this time. Tried getting into Monster Max but it really wasn’t fun. Definitely going Super Game Boy for DK94.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Update. I've yet to start playing since I drove all day, BUT this morning I found TWO copies when looking for Mario World (to tide my son over while he can't play Mario Maker for a week). They were exactly where I looked the other day, but didn't see them. No luck finding Mario World though.

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe

Illuminado posted:

You can get a replacement cover for <$5 USD from Console5. I just got the GameBoy Color one for my new screen.

Neat, I'll get mine replaced asap!

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Well, it was a lot of fun, and unfortunately I'll need to find another game to play for the next 3 weeks.

Felt like the last area should have been a lot harder, I feel like the area before it was much more ridiculous.

Going to try the Romhack and see what's up.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Unfortunately it's... pretty poor. It's not quite kaizo but it's almost entirely static and there's also some rather poor design decisions (patterns feeling bad or flat out not really working [level 2], enemy pop-in and lag introduction, etc.). It's tiny though so if you want to give it a shot it's not like you'll waste much time. I do appreciate the sentiment though of using an overlooked tool developed for an overlooked game.

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

I found this tweet with scans of the Nintendo Power promo for DK94: https://mobile.twitter.com/retrogamegeeks/status/841655014112317441

One interesting image is of a flying squirrel boss that uh, I assume was cut from the forest level and I'm not going to encounter in the last few stages... I wonder if they had other non-Kong bosses planned.

This month has been one of the fuckin craziest in my entire life, but I'm still hoping to beat this by the deadline :effortless: Luckily (?) the save battery in my Picross 2 cart seems to have died today so I have one less distraction, even though DK isn't quite as chill!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I've finally managed to find a physical copy being auctioned at a price I'm willing to pay so hopefully in the next few days I'll have the cart, otherwise I'd better jump on an emulator so I can finish before the end of the month!

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

Is there a trick to 7-7? I have occasionally lucked past the two squid things, but then after that I'm not getting back to the key/door nearly fast enough before the temp platform disappears.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mode 7 posted:

I've finally managed to find a physical copy being auctioned at a price I'm willing to pay so hopefully in the next few days I'll have the cart, otherwise I'd better jump on an emulator so I can finish before the end of the month!

Better hope the Battery's still working otherwise get ready to solder :v:

Also big thanks to whoever linked Sameboy earlier in the thread, I used it last night for a stream and I was duly impressed with it, including how it has GBC palettes for games that never had such a thing. I'll have to go back and get an example when I'm at my home computer.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Is there a trick to 7-7? I have occasionally lucked past the two squid things, but then after that I'm not getting back to the key/door nearly fast enough before the temp platform disappears.

yea
running directly to the door doesn't work, so have you tried going a different route?

also you can throw the key to kill enemies. just ignore it afterwards, it will eventually respawn

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Angry_Ed posted:

Better hope the Battery's still working otherwise get ready to solder :v:

if the first thing you do when you get an old cart with a battery backup isn't replacing said battery i don't even know what you're doing tbh

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Obviously beating the game in one sitting (no cheat codes).

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

if the first thing you do when you get an old cart with a battery backup isn't replacing said battery i don't even know what you're doing tbh

Not owning a soldering iron, for one :v:

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Angry_Ed posted:

Not owning a soldering iron, for one :v:

It's incredibly easy to do with ~$25 in tool + parts.

I did a whole bunch of them recently for SNES games that I sold.
(and Pokémon Gold + Silver)

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

little munchkin posted:

also you can throw the key to kill enemies. just ignore it afterwards, it will eventually respawn

:aaaaa:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I don’t have a soldering iron to hand but it’s probably about time I grabbed one - I discovered to my chagrin the other week that my Wario Land battery is gone and I’m sure it’s far from the only one!

But I’m also running out of month so if the battery doesn’t work I might just suck it up and emulate to get through the game and add the battery replacement to my to-do pile.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
It's pretty easy to do with just a cheap soldering iron.

The game bit and iron are the most expensive parts and both can be had for ~$20 total. Batteries aren't too bad and are on Amazon.

I recommend you watch a YouTube video and decide if you want to try it out, it's pretty easy.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I found this tweet with scans of the Nintendo Power promo for DK94: https://mobile.twitter.com/retrogamegeeks/status/841655014112317441

One interesting image is of a flying squirrel boss that uh, I assume was cut from the forest level and I'm not going to encounter in the last few stages... I wonder if they had other non-Kong bosses planned.
Ooh, that's cool! I think there's some slight sprite differences (the fish, that Mario in the builder section?) and maybe some slight level differences too (the DK boss rooms?).

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Well, this just happened, Donkey Kong happens to be in the lot.

Let's moodlight this bad boy!

https://twitter.com/Roarke84694999/status/1149486288795389953

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
Broke down and played through to world 5 on emulator yesterday since I didn't feel like soldering a new battery into my cart. Still really enjoying this game.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

My cart arrived!
And promptly failed to work.
But that's okay, turns out it was just the batteries in my Game Boy being dry!
Cart still won't start.
Swab down the contacts with isopropyl alcohol!
Hurrah, the cart finally starts.
Battery has never been replaced, cart won't hold a save!

......Emulator it is, I guess! As easy as it looks, I don't think I'm going to have time to grab the stuff I'll need to do a battery swap before the end of the month.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I’m in and catching up on the thread if it’s still kickin. Game Boy was all I had from about 11 to 18 years old, and the DMG remains my favorite console of all time. I don’t have a functional green screened brick anymore, but I do have a Pocket and a GBA SP, about 30 games, and a RetroPie. I’m in.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Absolutely, welcome aboard! We've got just over a week left for our current game, Donkey Kong, then we'll be moving along to our next game.

Moop Moop
Aug 26, 2006

I thought that I had definitely beaten this game before but now I'm fairly confident that I never got past Egypt land due to stage 5-10 when I was a kid.

In other news I just got a raphnet connector so that I can use my SNES controller with my gamecube Gameboy player which has been softmodded to use the Gameboy interface homebrew. It works beautifully but I know there's probably a scarcity of gamecube gb players out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If you gotta stall out, you could do worse than Egypt, which has the best map music in the universe.