Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Oh man, I'm definitely in. Been looking for an excuse to use my GB Everdrive. Now to decide whether to play on my backlit GBA or Super Game Boy.

Is this club for OG Game Boy only or Game Boy Color as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
My GB broke its screen when it fell out of my hanging coat at a dentists office. My parents were so happy to be rid of it and got rid of the games soon after. Didn't even have that many games and focused on my SNES collection.

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.
This has a lot more charm to it than I expected given the very 90s character/cover art, but man the game really does its best to not be much fun the second you have to do any platforming for all the reasons people have already mentioned. The presentation's so nice that I wish it had a slightly friendlier, less frustrating game under it. I get a big kick out of the music and the weird, humorous touches like the elevator guy, bunny men, the duck item, and the weird monster faces on the walls... but not enough to deal with the disappearing platforms and all the hazardous objects of ambiguous nature.

The way the item system works is interesting having come off a recent Link's Awakening playthrough... were similar item swapping/management systems petty common in Gameboy puzzle/adventure games?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
can confirm elevator guy is not immune to mines

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I look forward to posting when I've got games I own in some legitimate form covered.

if my SNES wasn't outputting every game cart I tried with weird horizontal lines I could use this and cheese with my SNES Advantage joystick.

i have a fully working Color but you need to play it outside or with overhead fluorescent lighting if you want to see anything. Or get that new backlit screen kit 8 bit Guy reviewed on YouTube last week. The original GB has the vertical line flaw and I never liked the unit even back then so it's not really a priority to fix it right now.

dammit SNES I clean you and your carts. Dont do this to me darlin!

my boxed games deserve the best output my lazy cheap rear end can give them.

as do my collection theme titles and my games with manuals.

even my non manual ones. There are some great little remakes to old school classics in there.

That's the Game Boy though. Amidst the piles of lovely kiddie ip licensed crap are some loving gems only hindered by really bad screens. Like not kid games but stuff older people even then might have loved. It's full of great semi sequel remakes to pre Crash arcade classics and some killer stand alone titles and awesome side games that in Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening's case imo surpass their 16 bit big brothers in the gameplay department!

But I'll probably mostly play along using the Gamecube Gameboy Player. Except on an actual s video set.

see the player disk kinda outputs in a meh way. It's not terrible but it's not great even on a CRT set.

But there is a solution. It involves a Datel Pro Action Replay disk, an SD card Gamecube interface, and a select series of 2 gig or less ad cards formatted in Fat16. It is called SWISS AND THE GBI. I use the Speedrunner no lag made for CRT dol file aand...

that 5 out of 10 image becomes a 7. Might even look BETTER on my hdtv that is old enough and good enough to have S video inputs on it and 4:3 modes! I have an original model gba plus the official link cable so I plug it into port 2 and turn the gba on and I can play gb titles with a nice dpad if the Gamecube controller annoys me.

Looking forward to putting some of this ridiculous poo poo I own to use!

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 3, 2019

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I would like to join Game Boy Game Cub.
I have both the GB Everdrive and the BennVenn ElCheapo GB cart. I'll throw one in my Super Gameboy because Monster Max looks rad!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Monster max eh? It really does look like something that came from the zx spectrum. I'll have to get the rom on my ever drive and give it a try.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Hot Stunt posted:

Oh man, I'm definitely in. Been looking for an excuse to use my GB Everdrive. Now to decide whether to play on my backlit GBA or Super Game Boy.

Is this club for OG Game Boy only or Game Boy Color as well?

Was going to start with OG Game Boy for the moment but I'm happy to expand this into a general retro games club if there's interest in taking it in that direction!

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I'd say keep it to the Game Boy family.

I'm at the final level now and somehow made it to the exit without first collecting all the four items. I think I'll restart and use a walkthrough to at least plot my course through the map (rather than for actual puzzle solutions) because even with savestates it's just a little bit of a drag.

edit: Even using a walkthrough I replaced the wrong item in a room and ended up in a deadend so I have to restart, again. The game has charm but it's kind of a nightmare.

edit2: I beat it but I kinda hated it by the end. :( No screenshot cause I abused savestates and walkthroughs anyway.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 3, 2019

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Hello friends, I’d also like to join this club:

I have a Super Gameboy 2 and an AGS-101.

Not pictured are my GBA games: Castlevania Circle of the Moon, Mario Kart Super Circuit, and Zelda Minish Cap.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man, all these people's collections are just reminding me of how I foolishly got rid of most of my Game Boy games at one point, or worse, had them stolen. I lost my SP and a good chunk of games after a class trip to Atlanta, Georgia (I think I just forgot it on the plane after arriving back but who knows, really). And I'm 99% sure all of my other original Game Boy hardware (Game Boy Player notwithstanding) is long gone. Slowly I've been rebuilding my collection even though I maybe only have 25% of the games I originally did, plus a load of other games that I either didn't know about at the time or wanted to get but didn't. I'll take pictures when I have a chance.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 3, 2019

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

This is a cool idea and I'd like to participate. I actually have a pretty deece collection of GB-related hardware:

• Japanese Super Gameboy with the clock speed issue fixed by Monitor Burn (the SGB used the SNES clock speed divided by 5 which actually makes it slightly faster than actual GB hardware, you can fix it with a crystal oscillator and the SGB2 fixed it complete)
  • GB Pocket
  • GB Boy Colour (Chinese GBC clone with a nice backlit screen albeit slightly squashed vertically)
  • GBA AGS-101
  • GB Everdrive

Rare really liked their isometric perspectives, huh

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
I heard you liekd GameBoy Stuffs?

This is a cool idea and I'm interested.

Super GameBoy w/Clock Fix on 1CHIP > RGB

PAL GameCube w/ GameBoy Player > RGB

Recently Reshelled GBA AGS-101 & GB Macro

But I'm down to sign up for this. I might even stream some nights!

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Oh yeah it’s worth mentioning but my SGB2 runs on an RGB modded SNES Jr.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I am NOT a fan of this game.

I played for about 15 minutes after getting my everdrive working. I remember rage quitting this game ages ago. I was playing it because my son's name is Max. I'm not big on isometric to begin with and this is NOT my type of puzzle game. I'll give it another go tomorrow after mowing.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Let's do this!

Safety First

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Anyone know what "Response" does in the options menu?

I passed the Playpen area and the first mission. Neat game. It feels like a homebrew game, tough as hell but charming.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So the music is good and the environments are varied and look nice enough but man this gameplay just punishes you. I got stuck on the first mission of the second floor because It seems to be demanding a pixel-perfect jump out of me to do a long jump and yeah that's not happening.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Angry_Ed posted:

So the music is good and the environments are varied and look nice enough but man this gameplay just punishes you. I got stuck on the first mission of the second floor because It seems to be demanding a pixel-perfect jump out of me to do a long jump and yeah that's not happening.

I was having a lot of issues with the platforming too, if you just HOLD DOWN the jump button it will immediately launch you up again, so you don't have to try to do frame-perfect jumps or anything. Just finished the first 2 missions.

Edit: Then promptly reset it without getting a screenshot of the password :doh:

Anyway, here's a quick play-through of the first level if anybody wants to see what it's about or get a feel for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6wmdGoHPVk

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 5, 2019

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Illuminado posted:

I was having a lot of issues with the platforming too, if you just HOLD DOWN the jump button it will immediately launch you up again, so you don't have to try to do frame-perfect jumps or anything.

It was less a double jump and more a long jump across a two block gap...or at the very least that's what I thought it wanted me to do

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Angry_Ed posted:

It was less a double jump and more a long jump across a two block gap...or at the very least that's what I thought it wanted me to do

If it's the one with the block that disappears, you can jump on it really quick before it disappears and then make it to the next one by holding down the jump, hth.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Illuminado posted:

If it's the one with the block that disappears, you can jump on it really quick before it disappears and then make it to the next one by holding down the jump, hth.

No it's not that, the jumping across disappearing blocks thing is easy by comparison.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Ok, well good luck then, guess I'll find out soon enough!

Did the second level too, enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfUbG9qcaQ0

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 5, 2019

HMC
May 18, 2009

Made it to the end of the third level where you have to assassinate the alchemist. Wasn’t sure how to beat him. Thought maybe I could jump on his head and plant a bomb. No dice. Mission failed. :negative:

Fortunately, these levels don’t take as long to finish once you’ve done them once. Still rather enjoying this game.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HMC posted:

Made it to the end of the third level where you have to assassinate the alchemist. Wasn’t sure how to beat him. Thought maybe I could jump on his head and plant a bomb. No dice. Mission failed. :negative:

Fortunately, these levels don’t take as long to finish once you’ve done them once. Still rather enjoying this game.

That one i figured out. If you want I can explain (behind spoiler tags just in case people want to figure it out on their own)

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 7, 2019

HMC
May 18, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

That one i figured out. If you want I can explain (behind spoiler tags just in case people want to figure it out on their own)
I ended up looking up the solution and felt kinda dumb. Didn't realize (or forgot?) I could push mines. Though, in my defense, the fact that the mines explode as quickly as they do means they don't exactly encourage experimentation.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HMC posted:

I ended up looking up the solution and felt kinda dumb. Didn't realize (or forgot?) I could push mines. Though, in my defense, the fact that the mines explode as quickly as they do means they don't exactly encourage experimentation.

I mean I streamed myself playing it and I think I spent a good 3-5 minutes trying to figure out what the game wanted me to do before I just kinda stumbled upon it, and yeah I agree with what you said.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I haven't finished stage one yet, but there's definite lineage with Knight Lore here.

I am having a biiit of trouble with perspective, I don't think they quite used enough distinction between some blocks but maybe I'll get used to that.

People weren't kidding about the music though, dang.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

This was posted awhile ago but I just passed this mission (2-1). You have to position Max as close to the edge as possible, without falling off, of the square you're jumping off. It's really easy once you figure it out.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
I'm stuck on one spot with the the attack bot on 1-3. I'm tempted to look it up, but haven't caved yet.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'll give this a go. I definitely miss the Retro Game Masters threads.
Same here! I feel that thread helped me grow a bit video game-wise and it also came at a good time for me. Maybe this one'll be the same! On top of that I think in the convening years I've become a bit more even as well. And although I do have less time (even free time, really got a couple projects I should be doing) I'm going to try to squirrel some away just for this.

That said, boy do I still remember not being able to get through the British isometric game from that thread, NES's Solstice. I don't think I ever played a game where I had such a hard time even perceiving it (not just difficulty, but actually being able to spatial tell how anything went)! Since then I have watched speedruns of it, but please wish my brain luck for this one!

Oh, I've also had this game on my list since I saw it pop up on HG101 early last year, so that's doubly cool I'll be able to cross it off!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'm glad to see so many people giving the thread a try, even though the game definitely isn't for all tastes. Sorry I haven't been much of an active/vocal participant in my own thread but unfortunately real life keeps interrupting me - that's why this thread was designed as a monthly club rather than weekly/bi-weekly though, it gives more people more of a chance to participate. Thankfully I think tomorrow I'll be able to put some time in on Monster Max and post about what it's like coming back to the game after more than two decades and whether the nostalgia holds up (spoiler: nah).

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I don't know why but surprisingly the game's clicking with me so far. Just got to 4-1 and despite a few things (too many "hurt" blocks in early rooms that the only difficulty is pixel manipulation, switches being almost purely guesswork, the invisible ice blocks in 3-1 which require you to learn jumping really well, oh, and the Daleks being too random) I'm enjoying it, so far I think it's a good mix between action and puzzles as long as you don't mind replaying a level here and there. Of course, it's still early!

I am a bit curious if you're supposed to be able to get bombs or something to that tall spike line room in 3-3 (plumber's trash or whatever the description says). I even tried manipulating the gold to get a jump off of it from the corner but just ended up relying on a star!

Scariest moment so far: the idle animation which plays after ~16 seconds. Was in a precarious position reading a room and then that comes out of nowhere, complete with sound!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Apparently with higan it's technically possible to get Super Game Boy and Super Game Boy 2 support (with the whole software running so you can change borders and the like). I say technically because there seems to be an extra performance hit. My computer runs normal games fine through higan but trying this out brought it to a crawl. It's not actually worth it either, you can just set palettes and borders in other emulators without worrying about that junk.

Got to 7-2 today, good to see that so far besides that one world that switches have stopped being punishing. However, there's a new "worst thing" and that would be the Ice Man-esque blocks, only they're on drugs. There really seems to be no rhythm so you have to wait around forever trying to get random syncs and the like if you don't want to risk a hit. But I'm enjoying it a lot so far, some quality brain teasers and it usually feels good to succeed when it gets twitchy or becomes enacting. There's just enough QoL stuff and responsiveness that I can't help but imagine how this game would play if they attempted to make it earlier in the Game Boy's lifespan.

Joe Chill posted:

Anyone know what "Response" does in the options menu?
When you set it off of default to Low what it does is that in cases where you press more than one input it keeps the original (so if you press up and then also left later while still holding up it'll just keep it as up). The default High just changes it to the new input (so if you press up and then also left later while still holding up it'll change to left). High seems better almost always because there's a lot of times you may want to do some funky movement changes in mid air or the like.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Thanks for for the explanation! I'm going to try low next time because I keep accidentally pressing the diagonals.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Okay, for 7-3 I want to slap whichever designer thought random hatching and explosions for the walking eight-balls was a good idea particularly when you have to take a star hit (or do a really tricky juke) and also ride one to the end of a screen.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

:)

Here's a little mini-guide I wrote for getting through the last level correctly if anyone is having trouble:
take the "hard" way to get duck
go left of skeleton, go back to pickup lightning then go left to black hole
after diamond duck right under trees to whistle (spoiler: canbombdoorcornertostartstackingblocks)
keep going to magnet then head back to continue to forest (skip going up to guillotine although there is health up there)
head to area with star not duck (spoiler: canuseofallthingstheegg) for last item then go to duck

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Genuinely both impressed and baffled that you beat this game without save states or walkthroughs. It was driving me nuts by the time I finished (and I was skipping one level per floor and abusing save states). Really didn't imagine anyone would get more than one point on this one.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Thanks, but honestly I didn't think it was too bad barring a few levels! I'll play devil's advocate here. It really did benefit from having some (semi-)modern sensibilities, I imagine if it was done even a little earlier it would've been a nightmare. I mean, there's basically infinite continues and except for a couple times (one with a cannon which for whatever reason which doesn't even trigger all the time) you're safe reading rooms from the doorway. And the last level really is just a few "make sure you go here first" things, it's pretty linear that I only had to redo it a few times. I would say I think a particular weakness (besides the true randomness of certain blocks and enemies, should've been cycle/room-based if they were capable of it) is the rooms which require snaking or death but like the spike jumps you actually do have a few pixels of leeway so it's not quite as deadly as it looks as long as you're reading it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moop Moop
Aug 26, 2006

I wonder if the manual contains some clue as to what all of the mission instruction rhymes are referring to. These are getting bizarre.

If anyone has a physical copy of the manual or back of the box, you should scan it in! I haven't been able to find it on any of the usual places online and I don't want to pay 80 euros to try to get a complete copy off ebay.