Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I'll join this one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I'll put this entry in. Sorry for the phone pic but I'm only now realizing that I don't really have a good way to get this thing into the computer :shrug: It's Poseidon!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Flavius Aetass posted:

This would be top-tier if you had taken the time to carefully draw your lines. I love his expression and the general mood of it, but stark black/white woodcut-style drawings suffer badly from sloppy linework. Not much more to say other than how much better it would be if you'd been more patient, making the lines themselves a more uniform design element. Little things could have also been worked on, like how there's no shading on the trident or his robe.

Thanks, quite helpful! The note about patience feels like exactly what I need to hear. I'll make sure to slow it down next round.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Also in

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I don't have a child so I kind of had to make some assumptions about what you can and cannot do

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Solenna posted:

You're correct, reinsertion is generally not recommended and this is a solid second place piece.

The expressions on the parents crack me up, I get a feeling of annoyed exhaustion, which is pretty much accurate. And I like that the lettering was all hand done, and that there are so many hands in the picture and they all look pretty good which I'm sure wasn't easy. Since it doesn't look like you have a scanner I'd definitely say get a free art program and touch up the contrast, you lose a lot of what looks like nice and crisp black and white inking. The other thing is since the line weights are all fairly similar either get them even more the same, or be more deliberate in emphasis. Like Mom there has a strong jaw and chin, but the linework is more delicately done than her hair.

Thanks! I'll keep all this in mind, and maybe try to get it scanned at the library next time. I was also pretty unhappy with the anatomy in this one, so I guess I have a few things to work on next time!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I'm in for this one too.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I went ahead and did the original prompt. Unfortunately, despite my promise in my last entry, I couldn't scan it due to the library shutting down for the """global pandemic""". So, enjoy the phone-photo that I've touched up in GIMP:

Original photo if anyone is interested:

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I'll give it a shot

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Thanks so much for the really thoughtful critiques, readingatwork. I find them really useful, and I tried to keep it in mind when I worked on this submission.

I might have strayed from the spirit of the prompt, but here is a guy enjoying my old roommate's signature dish, "mustard toast."

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

still half an hour from midnight, I'll join

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I will join this

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I didn't end up devoting much time to it but here's what I've got.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

thanks for the crit, void_serfer!

I think I'll have to be in for the next one, too.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Materials: bristol board, india ink, watercolor.
I'd been considering these materials for the cover of the comic book I've been working on so this is also a sort of experiment for that.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Wow, thanks so much! What a nice surprise! Very excited to join gang tag crew.

And I guess I get to choose the next theme, so this time it is all about the WORLD OF THE FUTURE.

I got this book from a garage sale when I was a kid and I fuckin loved the thing. It was part of the Usborne "World of the Future" series, which also included the "Usborne Book of the Future," "World of the Future: Robots," and "World of the Future: Star Travel." They were basically picture books that showed diagrams and illustrations of all the marvels that awaited a few decades over the horizon. Lots of pages and illustrations are available for inspiration if you google those titles.

They first came out in 1979 and I would guess the idea was to show kids some cool things to expect in their own lifetimes. This means there are a lot of specific predictions that didn't quite make it.

I want to see some new stuff that belongs in one of these books. Show me an illustration of an environmentally-sustainable factory. Let me see a diagram of some future vehicle or device. The books were full of explanatory labels, which will be very useful in telling me what I'm looking at.

No restrictions on style or medium. It can be making predictions for a child born in 2021, or it can be a lost page that was left on the cutting room floor when the books were first published. They were generally very optimistic about technology and the future, but that doesn't mean you have to be. The only rule is that I want to see a vision of our future.

Register by 11:59PM PST, Sunday, January 17
Submit by 11:59PM PST, Sunday, January 31

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

(I had to wiki "truman capote" for this one, sorry. And then "peyote.")
This is nice. I like the linework, the little touches of shading, the lovely saturated colours. The symmetrical composition, combined with Truman's posture and restrained monochrome scheme, provide a sense of calm. Yet the hypercolour canyon and Truman's expression suggest watchful anticipation. And the little Saturn silhouette is great, a pleasingly geometrical detail in a world of hatchings and bumps. The one thing I don't like is that yellow patch of horizon- I feel a sense of distance would be better provided by a really smooth and even wash of colour.
Three questions:
-why do Truman's shoes break the monochrome scheme? It's otherwise really strong, and best not messed with.
-the blue-green canyons almost form a butterfly wing shape around Truman, which seems appropriate given "peyote" translates as "butterfly cocoon" (thanks Mister Google.) Was this, like, intentional?
-have you thought about where you'd fit a title etc in this composition? It would seem a shame to cover over that nice rich stretch of red sky.

Hah, I actually also had to look up both "truman capote" and "peyote" before drawing this. Thanks for the thoughtful critique! To answer your questions:

- there's no good reason to break the monochrome. I agree that it would be improved if they'd been black or grey.
- no, I'd never heard that before uh, yes, of course, all my art is layered with meaning
- I had not considered it, I was mostly using it to test and try out watercolors, which I haven't used since grade school. The comic book I referred to is a black-and-white noir-ish style, so it would have to look pretty different to this. I could see some big white text right in the middle, though, vertically centered bold text stretching to the edges, if this were to be used for a comic about truman capote doing drugs.

Congratulations also to everyone else who entered, each of these is really impressive!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

still 3 days to throw your cyber hat in the hover ring as a participant. or even a backup judge?!?

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Very excited to see the entries from:

- Krispy Wafer
- void_server
- Tree Bucket
- syntaxrigger
- TVsVeryOwn
- and I'm not 100% sure readingatwork was committing but I'm going to assume so

Two weeks until the deadline of Sunday the 31st!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

as long as it's up before I check it tomorrow morning I'm happy

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Submissions are closed! Artdome has begun! Today our contestants will bring us art inspired by usborne's "world of the future" book series, and I will attempt to look competent while critiquing artwork.

Tree Bucket posted:

Well, it's not art exactly, but it was a stupid amount of fun to make!

I love it. It's a dynamic composition, the color palette holds together well, and the captions are very amusing. The sun highlights do a lot to make it look more three-dimensional and to give the overall image a sort of "magic hour" feeling, and the texturing of colors does a lot to give it visual interest. I think what I like most about it is the sense of fun it conveys - the ideas, from dirigibles to dolphins, are very playful, and I appreciate that even though it is a depiction of a fairly dark future, it presents it in a bright and optimistic "solarpunk" tone where there are still whimsical ideas and goofy-looking characters and birds flying around in the sunset.

I think the biggest weakness is the art on the characters - the same line width is used throughout, from the main body contours on our zipliner to the harness on our distant sea salvager, which sort of flattens the detail between the near and far figures. I'm not exactly sure how to phrase my objection to the lineart, but it kind of looks like it was done with the photoshop pencil tool at a low dpi - working on a larger image and shrinking it for publishing would let you work with finer lines and smooth out some of the imperfections. The zipline device could use a bit more attention - it looks like she should be falling off - and I would look at some comic art for examples of wider margins on the text boxes, which are a little cramped in some places.

Krispy Wafer posted:

This was a fun prompt.

Another entry with a very fun atmosphere - I'm a sucker for this retrofuturist type stuff. There are a lot of tiny details in here that really make this pop, from the coffee stain to the slight offset between the black and colored ink. The most impressive aspect for me is the amount of personality in each character: they are all very distinctly shaped, and they all play off of 50s archetypes in a way that tells a story about each one. You've done a great job of capturing that 50s futurust aesthetic here.

The only thing I can really criticize is our JAVANATOR 5000 itself - while there's a surprising amount of 3-dimensionality pushed into the very simple shapes of the arms, the body is essentially a rectangle, and besides the arms there's not much there telling us that we are looking at a robot. I think it could have been fun to see more detail and personality in its body, or a more interesting shape if you wanted to keep the detail low in this part of the composition.

readingatwork posted:

Genuinely shocked I got this bastard done on time. Feeling pretty optimistic about the future y'all!

(Content warning: Gets a bit dark)

This one shows an amazing amount of effort. The character art is fantastic - Billy is very distinct and instantly recognizable in every image, and his face and body are very expressive, from his slightly sinister excitement at his operation being approved to the funny face just before the climax. (I think funny faces are very underused in cartoons and comedy in general these days.) Each image is very legible and clean, and the tone of the images and captions match perfectly, making this a great read. I love how you're able to create such distinct textures with such simple lines, for example on Ur'gthaan and as we scroll into the horror image at the end.

I think the criticism I have here is that there aren't any especially bold images aside from the extremely bold pile of corpses image, largely because most of the images are white fields with similar lines on them - some blacks or textures would have helped create some more striking and diverse images. I suspect this was done to create contrast with the huge black field at the end, but I think the large white margins are enough to keep that contrast even if you'd had more blacks or tones throughout. The automated car panel does use a little bit of black, and as a result has the most depth of any of the panels before the corpse pile.

I love the starkness of this image and the detail that is hidden in the chaos. I also like the excessive labelling - I have to laugh at the background images that would otherwise be indecipherable geometries that the labels bluntly insist are some kind of fantastical device. I love the figure of Desdemona - there's so much detail suggested, especially in her eyes and boot, without ever fully resolving into a totally clear image; you've got a great sense of how to use impressionistic lines where you can and where the eye craves a hint of detail. It looks like a dream, or a premonition.

My criticism is that I would like to see more detail on the vehicle. Without the labels, it would be hard to know that this is supposed to be an image of the future, and I think the cruiser would be a good opportunity to add clarity there, for example by putting the sort of detail you have put into Desdemona into the device, or at least into some component like a cockpit or an engine. There's also a little bit of tonal inconsistency in the captions - in some of them, we're skattin' and be-boppin' with "you can hack this" and "portable beacon jammer, maybe?", and elsewhere we've got a foreboding story about a desparate, dangerous excursion into the underworld. They both work on their own, but undercut each other a little in combination.

drum roll increasing-gain synth tone, please

The winner this time is Tree Bucket. Out of a field of incredible technical entries, this one stood out as the one that gave me the greatest sense of adventure and wonder, like I remember getting from the books as a kid.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

really astoundingly great entries in the last round, congratulations all around, folks!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i will join and redraw this comic book page i drew when i was in grade 7-ish

this is the eco-activist group IMPLOSION escaping after blowing up the Shrine-Air Corporation's power plant, and any similarities to any video games is entirely coincidental

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Truman Peyote posted:

i will join and redraw this comic book page i drew when i was in grade 7-ish

this is the eco-activist group IMPLOSION escaping after blowing up the Shrine-Air Corporation's power plant, and any similarities to any video games is entirely coincidental

I got an ipad and decided to try out procreate for this one, and, uh, i think i need some practice. kind of looks like deviantart poo poo. but, i'm out of time, so here's my entry!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

thank you chernabog, that was a great theme and I really appreciate the critique. The note about the lines is something I get a lot and I'm going to focus on it.

i'm also in for the 7 sins.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

barely in time due to the depicted sin

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Thanks for the notes, keetron! No promises on coloring but I'll post it if I do it.

Congrats, and well deserved, tree bucket - those creatures really are unsettling in the best way.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I'm in baby

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

vaguely a view North across the Burrard Inlet from Vancouver.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

really rad stuff this month! thanks steeltoedsneakers, and congrats to sitting here!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

there's still 10 days, I can get something in for this

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

mister disney, i have one more applicant to show you. i wasn't really sure whether it was a good idea, and frankly i don't know how proud i am to have brought him in, but he's a bit of a libertine and could definitely push this film in a bold new direction. uh, well, here he is.

mildly nsfw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

thanks keetron, and congrats sigma 6! smokey really is dope as hell.