Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
It's Homo Demens. Crazy people.

The ghosts are called BT - Beached Things.

They mentioned ages ago that Death Stranding refers to Cetacean Stranding. There's tons of imagery around sea life.

So someone did something sciencey or magic-y that caused dead things to become beached in reality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
raytracing has been the next big thing for 30 years and will continue to be until someone figures out the locality problem.

amd gpus have no specific raytracing hardware so unless sony's adding bespoke pieces to the ps5 gpu it will be a software implementation. which unfortunately will probably be more of a novelty. we'll be mostly rasterization for a while yet.

death stranding: i expect the game to be very uneven and insane. i'm sure there will be awesomely fun bits mixed with a ton of WTF.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Steve Yun posted:

In an interview Kojima was asked why he left Norman Reedus’ tattoos in the character model. He said he wants the character on screen to be both Sam Bridges and Norman Reedus.

This makes me think he’s approaching casting the way Tarantino does: he doesn’t want you to just think of the character, he wants you to be reminded of the actor’s previous works as well. Like, Bill in Kill Bill was originally supposed to be Warren Beatty. When he got David Carradine instead, Tarantino added the flute stuff to Bill’s character so that the role would be tailored to Caradine’s filmography. When Darryl Hannah’s character gets defeated, she freaks out the same way she did in Blade Runner.

Maybe I will watch some old Norman Reedus and Lyndsay Wagner shows in preparation. If I were to watch Lea Seydoux works, what should I watch?

Cliff could absolutely turn out to be really similar to Hannibal but they haven't played that up much.
I think Kojima said only Wagner could play her part so I'm assuming some bionic woman references.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

veni veni veni posted:

Uhhhh....Have you seen the trailers sir? How on earth would this pan out to be Silent Hills?

How could MGS2 be about someone other than solid snake?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
i think all his games are kinda janky to be honest but I always have fun with the gameplay itself. so i'm down for whatever his take on package delivery through a ghost infested wasteland ends up being.

Donovan Trip posted:

The gameplay we have seen looks.. Rough. The fighting for example looks stiff and janky, like assassin's creed 1 janky. A lot can happen in 6 months, sure, but the combat shown looks like it took place in a designers test area, or something.

the animation was similar to the last couple kojima games imo. like they could have been lifted from mgs5.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
The latest trailer has dead sea creatures on the ground in the ww1 otherworld

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
eh, it's only about a 5 on the kojima crazy scale.

having refn be a movie nerd about 20 min films is pretty clever though.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

bear is driving! posted:

The fact that they refer to a "chrial network" and "chiral allergy" may have something to do with the worlds being mirrors, maybe? Chirality is a real thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chirality_(chemistry)

yeah he's definitely going for something like that. but i dunno if it's going to be more than "hey this word sounds cool and has something to do with mirrors."
though your two hands are chiral objects. which might be why there's 'hand' imagery everywhere.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
we've seen him shooting dudes in a ww1 trench

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
i hope he is wearing the wyld stallyns shirt in the game

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Also you collect your poop and pee and turn them into grenades to throw at the BTs.
Your weapons also appear to be powered by your blood.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
All the item descriptions on that footage specify if weapons are lethal or not. So I'd guess you will be able to kill dudes? Maybe it makes the BTs more common if you go around murking everyone.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

ymgve posted:

In one of the trailers Mads says something like «it’s so hard to form connections when you can’t shake hands» - maybe touching another person is dangerous in some way

that's troy baker's character.

norman reedus said the game is about his character being afraid to be touched and overcoming that.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
kojima also seems really, really passionate about death stranding. i don't think he was exactly thrilled at having to make mgs4.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
kojima usually gets the main mechanics right. i think it'll come down to whether they nail the main traversal gameplay. if it's fun to just run around i think it will end up being something special.

the thing that stands out about kojima's games is the animations are super fast. people mention they look janky but i think it's very deliberate to make everything feel responsive.
i'm optimistic because death stranding looks the same way in the gameplay videos.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
they are playing bits of the soundtrack on kojima productions twitch stream and it sounds awesome. very vangelis.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
he's been the art director for all of kojima's projects since metal gear solid at least.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Oxxidation posted:

kojima was also ecstatic over revengeance, which went even further in naturalizing his characteristically stilted writing. he's an odd one

maybe he was okay with MGR because it was just his IP they were working with, not his pre-written material

the mgs translation isn't really much less stilted than mgs2 or mgs3.

kojima's always been a crazy ideas guy and his characters are a bunch of tropes from 80's movies that deliver them earnestly.
i'd argue none of his work is fully coherent or totally sure what it wants to say. but he's always got interesting ideas.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

SardonicTyrant posted:

What's everyone's gear loadout look like? I always make sure to at least have 2 ladders and 2 anchors at any time

3 anchors take up one slot so i don't carry more than one unless i'm going a loooong way.

also this plot reaches peak anime pretty early and only goes further. it's gloriously ridiculous.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
the way the multiplayer incentivizes working together is really kinda genius.

i made a bridge to a little island/sandbar in a river. later i came back and someone else had made a bridge over the other part and now i can just haul rear end on my bike. those moments are awesome.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Romes128 posted:

Minor spoiler but you will get a way to see when timefall is gonna happen.

Dealing with bts is really easy. Just pay attention to the indicator and walk around them. If one gets close and it turns orange then hold your breath and crouch walk. You’re good to breathe again when it turns white.

I’ve only ever been caught once and that was while I was on a bike and had no clue how to get out of the black goop (I realized later you can boost out).

on the other hand all BTs must die in a cloud of my blood!

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

ghostinmyshell posted:

I built two roads today instead of doing plot and I got about 80,000 likes. This game is good. Goose game is still better, but this is up there.

same. i was watching 5k likes come in every 5 min.

the movement mechanics are fun and all but the building part of the game is by far the most fun part of this for me.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
you can't change your suit color i don't think. the story picks your color.

speaking of story, this plot has gone full anime. i'm enjoying the ridiculousness of it but he's losing his message.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
running dudes over seems to knock them out despite the blood splatters on the screen.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

DalaranJ posted:

Let me ask about some early game cutscene fashion choices. It’s been awhile and I’m starting to forget.

Which of the following are true?

1. There’s a scene where Amalie is wearing a grey blouse, in this scene she is not wearing a necklace.
2. There’s a scene where Sam is wearing a bridges vest that does not have the porter label.
3. There’s a scene where Sam is nude that shows he has a cross shaped abdominal medical incision scar.

e: I’m pretty sure these are all ‘beach’ scenes.

It gets weirder.

Massive (MASSIVE) spoilers for everything. SERIOUSLY.

Sam has the scar in one of the very early beach scenes (the one that's basically the reveal trailer).
Amelie wears red, white and gray on the beach. You also see bridget in white.

I think it's supposed to show you which "version" of amelie you are seeing. The version that wants to destroy everything or the version that sam gave the necklace to.
Which is combined with the fact that there is no amelie and that's just bridget's soul stuck on the beach.

I'm still not totally sure it all lines up despite the mountain of exposition she gives you at the end.
Is she working with Higgs all along? Why have the whole kidnapping thing and chiralium mask?
Or did Higgs just discover this because he has DOOMS and is tapping into her powers? Higgs doesn't seem to know bridget and amelie are the same person. But someone must have given him the doll. He tells fragile it was 'her' plan but he's crazy and is ranting about that sort of thing constantly anyway.
Or she's got a split personality thing going which probably makes the most sense.

Do they actually say if DOOMS is an acronym and I just missed it?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
it seems like you have to build the roads yourself for the most part. i've had people complete my roads but I always have to start them (and I always end up putting the majority of resources in them).

Which is probably good otherwise you'd have prebuilt roads everywhere instantly. (come drive across america on our roads dripping with black hell-slime!)

It also doesn't spawn things you haven't unlocked yet. Though I did see a private room shelter thing before I'd unlocked constructing it.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Steve Yun posted:

Hey is my glowing cargo the end of chapter 3? Cause I wanna dick around more before going to chapter 4.

It's generally worth advancing the story since you get more stuff and can always go back.

Chapter 6 (or whatever one is deadman) Takes your BB away temporarily so watch out for that

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Steve Yun posted:

Fragile backstory cutscene is anime as hell: Similar to The Boss, forced to decide between surviving or saving others. Moving stuff. Dramatic music. Also, need to make sure we get some buttcrack and side boob in there.

the anime levels continuously rise after that point. the game hit what i assumed was peak anime several times and managed to top itself repeatedly.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
the endgame gets really dumb really fast. and completely torpedoes its message.

bring everyone together....so I can destroy all existence!

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
For me the gameplay is super fun, rebuilding each area is great and you really get the feeling you're working with other people to rebuild the infrastructure.

And if you really want to fight dudes there's a million mules all over the place plus you can steal their poo poo.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

homeless snail posted:

My final tumble stat was 7, and half of those were trying to do some snowboarding

IMO it mostly does (I can't tell if you've finished it or not so ending spoilers)in that the game is generally very obliquely about the will to live and thrive vs violent toxic nihilism, the EE being pretty much just a malevolent nihilistic force that you beat by giving them a hug and insisting life has meaning. Cliff and Higgs kind of don't matter at all as characters, they're just manifestations of that force, Higgs has terminal internet brain poisoning and got black pillled, and Cliff is just a really sad dad that gave into anger. I think where the game does kind of drop the ball is that for the most part the solution is just "shoot them with guns" which kind of doesn't feel like a solution at all? That's more a Higgs problem than a Cliff one though, because Cliff ultimately gets his emotional climax in ep14

Disagree heavily. I've said this a few times but the plot ends up actively undermining the message of connection and working together. The entire mechanism of connection only exists to kill everyone.

I don't think Cliff wants to destroy the world, he's an angry ghost that wants his kid back and/or revenge.

That said, kojima is never really coherent with his themes. He always has really interesting ideas and dammit, he's going to put every single one of them in the game.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

homeless snail posted:

Its pretty much true though in that The Chiral Network just the internet and the internet of 2019 pretty much only exists to kill people

heh, you're totally right about that.

so what's up with the satanic hacking animation?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

lets hang out posted:

When do you get the zip line

chapter 5

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
i have not been able to use MULE bodies as bombs wtf kojima.

corpses don't do anything? am i missing something?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

tweet my meat posted:

So it seems like I'm in the absolute endgame, I'm on Amelie/Bridget/EE's (???) beach running around trying to find the highest thing I can jump off of with the fall damage off in between exposition breaks and I'm wondering if I'm past the point of no return for doing side stuff or if there's some kind of post game free roam?

there's still more after that.
it will dump you back into the open world eventually.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Chapter 4, does that not matter about killing things in that one?

You don't have a choice, shoot away.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Carry around 5+ grenades and drown all BTs in a shower of blood.

If there's a big BT, hit him with a grenade in the face and then unload an assault rifle.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

CJacobs posted:

Anybody figured out the various BRIDGES jingles? It's fun to play guess-that-tune with them.

Mama's is Rock-A-Bye Baby, of course.
The jingle that plays when you erect or cross a bridge is London Bridge is Falling Down, naturally.
Die Hardman's appears to be Blow The Man Down.
No idea about Deadman's. Any guesses?

heartman is an interpolation of funeral march i think

deadman sounds like 3 highly distorted notes but i dunno what they are

fragile has one but you only hear it a few times and i have no idea what it is

no idea about lockne

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Oxxidation posted:

ziplines are for mountainous regions and yes, they will soon consume your entire life

i'm setting up ziplines with painstaking inch-by-inch precision like i'm assembling a loving ship in a bottle

why can't i connect 2 level two ziplines 400m apart dammit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
kojipro isn't actually that big of a company. i'd guess they probably didn't have time/resources to add more npcs.