Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I’ve never heard the rumors that Kojima was upset with Hayter, where does that come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Thank god for MGS because if it wasn’t for that, these people would be putting this insane energy into Infowars or some poo poo. They probably are doing that too actually come to think of it

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’m okay with it if it’s Star Fuckerman.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

gently caress yeah I’m waiting for Edgar Wright. I. Hope his scene involves talking about movies because the man loves talking about movies and he’s one of the best at it.

Hell yeah. He can be DS’s version of Para-Medic.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Hideo Kojima is connecting the world through Piss

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08/21/death-stranding-geoff-keighely-discusses-mysterious-online-multiplayer

quote:

Keighley specifically mentioned the mushroom portion of the Gamescom demo. You know, when Norman Reedus’ character Sam peed on it? Kojima mentioned during the press conference that if multiple players pee in the same spot, on the same mushroom, something will happen.

Keighley says this concept is the thing to focus on for the game’s online portions. “You got to take that concept and think about how that applies to everything you do in the game, in this connected world and connecting people.”

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Norman......Peedus

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Chiral copulation

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Nicopiss Windong Refn

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Boy Kojima sure loves dudes with skulls for faces doesn’t he

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

Motherfucker do you not?

Brb peeling the skin off my own face to see if it looks rad

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Mads yes Kojima no, if I had to guess. HK seems straight edge to me

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

PhantomPayne posted:

Isn't it also incredibly illegal to the point of destroying your career in japan?

Imagine an LSD induced Kojima game, can they get any crazier than his games already are?

Yeah I think lucid Kojima is more interesting than a theoretical high Kojima. He can barely keep a story held together as it is, if he was constantly tripping it would just be purely incoherent

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

For some reason I really really really want to be able to collect little action figures of all the celebrities you do side missions for and deck out Norman’s house with them

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

It really depends on what you’re referring to when you talk about “writing.” On a dialogue and individual scene level, yeah he’s mediocre to bad. Plot beats and even character moments don’t come together super well. But when it comes to integrating larger themes with gameplay and setting tone, he’s actually quite brilliant. Possibly the best in gaming. That’s part of writing too.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Unpopular opinion but I did not enjoy peace walker very much. My least favorite of the Solid era.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Mother Base needed a bunch of interiors and interactions with Kaz and Ocelot.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah the C&I LP is a must watch.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I never buy games on release anymore so I’m out of the loop: can I buy this in-store at midnight Thursday night? If so where’s the best bet?

E: american

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

More like...................gameplay poop

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I’m not going to play until tomorrow so I’ll likely dip out of the thread after someone replies to this, but there’s one thing I’m not sure has been addressed. With the online aspect, do we know how they’ve ensured the game won’t be entirely trivialized by the stuff other players have left around? Like, if players have built a highway and you come across it your first time through the game, aren’t you kinda missing out on the experience if you can essentially skip the level?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Zikan posted:

You don’t see player structures the first time you go through an area. You need to go through an area once by yourself and connect it to the chiral network to see them.

Gotcha

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

After about 6-7 hours of gameplay (about half that being actual gameplay) I’m still kinda unclear on the cargo packing mechanic. Is there any reason not to always press triangle to optimize load?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I gotta say it was off putting talking to Edgar Wright and having someone else’s voice come out

E: mid chapter 3 celebrity npc spoiler

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

What happens when you barrel a truck straight through a bt area

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Man why do the dang roads require so many resources? I guess you have to earn that convenience but it’s quite a lot. The game seems to allow contributions from other players up to certain amount but it gets stuck there and makes me contribute the rest without online contributions ever increasing. The last time I had other players actually complete a section of road was shortly after I first arrived at the start of chapter 3. I’ve personally completed basically everything from just north of the Edgar Wright distro center to Conan’s house. The last few leading to South Knot are going to be a total pain to complete, and I still have the whole western side of the map to do. I know clearing out MULE camps is a good way to get resources but it’s not really enough, I have to wait for that stuff to respawn after I steal it and I don’t want to totally deplete the distro centers. I’m determined to finish the road network though, it’s bringing out my completionist tendencies.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Romes128 posted:

9000 ceramics

drat that’s a naw from me then I guess

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

tweet my meat posted:

Most delivery points have unique rewards for getting 3/4/5 stars with them, some incredibly useful new upgrades or just upgraded versions of gear.

Yeah but standard orders seem to barely move the needle in getting those star ratings up a lot of the time

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I can’t tell if literally getting paid in likes is dystopian or utopian as hell

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

The geography in this game is confusing. Is the main big map really supposed to be the entire central United States? Am I supposed to just suspend disbelief about that?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah like maybe the chirality in the air is compressing spacetime or some poo poo idk

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I also enjoy that we never have to connect Florida. gently caress Florida

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

:hmmyes:

The decision to represent it all via like....Iceland/Alaskan looking naturescapes instead of anything that even slightly resembles the American area you're in is a really odd and cool choice. Like I can imagine they worked for a long time trying to make actual representations of areas and cities and at some point someone was like "the big remote mountainous landscapes we're making look a lot better and are more fun to play in" and someone else was like "ok lets just make the whole game that then"

I doubt it ever got to that stage, iirc Kojima took a trip to a Iceland and listened to a bunch of Low Roar and wanted to create a carbon copy of that experience. But he also wanted to have it set in America and tell some bonkers story about reconnecting and ghosts so he went “porque no los dos”

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I haven’t messed with zip lines too much, I’m about mid chapter 5 and now seeing the need for them. So I don’t have to trial and error them too much, can someone tell me if you’re able to create y-shaped branching lines or can you only connect them in series?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Read your control tooltips, folks.

I’m trying to create human connections here. I’ve now formed a strand with you

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Modest Mao posted:

it uh, goes the long way around, you gotta hike into the mountains north west of it

it's actually a clever use of the gentle slope and green foliage taking you into murderous mules when actually there's a bunch of empty land just over a small bluff to outright avoid them. I bet 100% of players go through the forest on their first trip across this area. very good gestalt psychology lesson

I ended up following the ridge along the mountains to the south to avoid them on my first time, it was p easy but now I use the route you posted

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Did y’all ever notice that a motorcycle sounds like toilet noises? Cause Kojima sure did

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

UltraRed posted:

God, this game. When it's rewarding, it's soooo much fun. Other times, it just hoses you. I mean, just reeeaaaaly hoses you. Save scumming when in a new area seems to be the thing to do. Otherwise, prepare to repeat an hour+ of DS's strand-type game gameplay.

I've been playing for at least like 25-30 hours and haven't come across anything like this.

Also bulldozing MULEs with a truck is the best way to handle MULE camps. Haven't tried it with terrorists yet, do their guns wreak havoc on trucks?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Hungry Computer posted:

I haven't tried it, but I assume it's just a game-over like if you choose to deliver the nuke to south-knot city.

I...uh....did this. I somehow missed that I needed to talk to Fragile at the distribution center and waltzed right to South Knot because I expected some kind of cutscene to happen before I could blow up the city. welp

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Sometimes when I q-pid a new area I do get a lot of surprisingly helpful structures. I got a string of three online ziplines that were already connected which made getting to the mountaineer insanely easier than I think the devs intended on your first trip up there. Usually I’ll just get one isolated zipline but I guess I got lucky. Took all challenge out of the trip though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Annoying rear end mechanic is the private room crafting, I just want to make another backpack cover but I don’t have enough donated materials at this location so I have to loving sit through another two loading screens so I can donate chiral crystals and come back here and craft a backpack cover. Why in gods name can’t I do this from the terminal?