Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
God the 60 fps alone might get me to play through it again on PC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I am going through the ending sequence as I type this. This ending sucks, and this game is bad. It had so many interesting possibilities, but the actual game is just an incomprehensible time-wasting simulator. Oh, well. Now I know to skip his next one.

Seriously, this ending is a crime against the player.

Hmmm actually it was good

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Thinking about how this game was very good

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

why didnt you just put the game into rest mode

Seriously I don't think I've turned off a game on my consoles unless it was specifically to switch to a different game on said console.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm so jealous of everyone who gets to experience this for the first time. Definitely my GOTY for 2019

Absolutely 100%. I really couldn't believe all the bad reviews and streamers who were disappointed by it when it first came out because I thought it was awesome. I was also really impressed that Kojima's whole bullshit "I'm making a new genre called STRAND GENRE" or whatever actually turned out... true?? He did do that??? Like the online component of the game honestly feels like something I haven't experienced in other games before.

My only real complaint I had about the game is that I wish the mules and terrorists weren't a part of it at all, because I really liked the feeling of isolation you got during the rest of the game. The enemy camps made the world feel way less lonely than I wanted. Othewise the game nails the tone and setting it's going for so so well. The random porters you would run into were fine

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

elf help book posted:

It's an exciting type of boring.

It's hard to really describe why it never felt boring to me. You literally are just walking from point A to point B, across big open fields and mountains, keeping your balance (which isn't super hard to do really) and occasionally running into BTs or Mules. But most of the game is just straight up walking long distances or trudging through snow. But it never feels boring outside of, for me, the Mules/terrorist encounters.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

croup coughfield posted:

There's so much to love about this game, and I do. But goddamn there needs to be someone on the production team for every Kojima project whose whole job is to compel him to stop sometimes, because he definitely has a real auteur problem. The Kurt Sutter of video games - some great ideas, but if you don't keep him in check he starts getting piss and poo poo on everything.

No way, I'm so glad he got to make a game that had no one telling him no

Except the Chiral Artist part. Someone should've told him no on that one

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Tormented posted:

Some of the guest stars in this game are pretty wild. Guess Kojima can just straight up tell people to be in his games now.

I like that so many of the guest stars just used their likeness, but don't voice them. And then you just have loving Conan O' Brian in an otter hat, in his own voice, doing his roowrr noise

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Arsonide posted:

I'm trying to decide whether to drop $60 on this. Many people say it's boring, but I play truck simulators and poo poo, so I don't mind a delivery simulator. My main thing is replayability. How many objectives are there to do at any given moment? Can these objectives be "exhausted" or can I Fedex forever? When the game ends I hear you can keep playing, but are the side quests finite?

I thought it was easily worth $60 but people that didn't like will tell you the opposite so :shrug:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Lou Takki posted:

Yeah, when the music does kick in it's very impactful.

I'm super impressed about everything with this game.

The very first delivery where you go to the incinerator, when that Bones song kicks in it's probably my favorite time the music does that out of the whole game. It really really sets a tone for the world at large at the very beginning of the game with that.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

There's a pretty late game mission that... let's just say it takes you over the mountain. I had several of those hover things carrying all my poo poo. And I made the super genius idea to try and go through the mountains instead of straight through the BT area (I had already snuck through on BT area to get to this point).

I had to restart the whole mission over, is how that story ends

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I didn't read a lot of the emails and stuff, so I missed out on some of the worldbuilding (I end up seeing it in here summarizing it luckily). Does anything in the game mention or hint about anything with the world outside of America? Also is the entire ocean tar now?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Khanstant posted:

I just keep at it, never quite get the timing perfect but just push the stick up and down repeatedly at some regularish pace and he'll eventually start laughing.

??????????????????

My dudes, you literally just slowly move the controller up and down at a slow pace. It's not that complicated!!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I keep forgetting this game came out on PC

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Uncultured fools. Pick up that controller and run around the beach and enjoy the EXCELLENT ending that Kojima delivered to you :mad:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

There was an image that like a poster for the game that had every kind of BT on it set up like movie posters that show all the characters, and I absolutely adored it but it wasn't available as a poster that I could find. Did they ever make it a poster?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Can you disrupt BT areas that way?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Fragile's catchphrase is perfect and it rules, get real losers

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Death Stranding is a 4/5 whereas Horizon would be a 5/5. Both have strong USPs: a heavy emphasis on physical traversal, and fighting robot dinosaurs witha bow. Horizon edges out because of it's story delivery. It's Hero Journey as gently caress but it paces out it beats and revelations better instead of cramming them into the last 10% of the runtime. Aloy was refreshingingly idealistic as a hero in a sea of gruff loners, and I never once thought of Sylens as Lance Reddick with a bunch of tubes in his face.

I think Kojima's next game could benefit from starting from a conventional premise and branching out. Maybe having a different protagonist like a Raiden type.

I feel the complete opposite. HZD was like a 3 out of 5 for me, and the story was... fine. I guess. I think Death Stranding is basically a masterpiece

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'll say this about HZD: The game is one of the best looking games I've ever played, with the exception of how lovely the dialogue animations were. But the environments are insane. Photo mode was better than the actual game itself

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Romes128 posted:

It's chill but some of the cutscenes are really long.

Yeah it's the perfect time to chill and watch a rad cutscene :mad:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I like that Conan isn't even a character being played by Conan. It's just there's Conan, and he does his growling noise and everything

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Can you actually do it that way and bypass the entire segment or will it stop you

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I love that Kojima was like "I'm gonna make my own new genre" and then did it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Yeah I thought that long hike back was really cool and really effective. Also the part where like 6 of the tar lions pop out when you get near the end is :discourse:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Huh I built barley any zip lines, I figured the structures just went away. Not having those definitely made the trek back feel especially isolating since all the Internet structures I relied on where down

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I had gotten caught a few times but I still had no idea what the game wanted me to do there. I eventually had to look up a video. I can safely say I would never have figured that out on my own

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Yeah some people have said that this game is proof that Kojima needs someone to tell him no, and I say gently caress that, this game kicks rear end BECAUSE he got to make exactly what he wanted

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

When you're bringing the body to the incinerator at the very beginning of the game, the camera pulling back, the sense of isolation, the song that plays during that. Ah, gaming ambrosia

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

It's wild to me when people say things like "we got a straight line ending and a lame boss fight". I didn't think any of the boss fights were lame, especially not any of the ending ones. I guess the whale wasn't particulary dangerous but the setpiece was so cool I didn't really care that it wasn't all that challenging. Frankly from the moment you get to the tar belt until the final post credit stinger I was fully captivated the entire time. I thought every bit of that entire stretch of game was completely awesome. I loved the fight against the large BT man, I loved the long trek back at the end, I loved the fight with the whale, I loved the fight with Higgs on the beach, I loved the entire fake credit sequence, I was totally okay with how long it took.

The only part of the game that I feel ever drags is when you're in the mountains and don't have your BB. A lot of that part of the game felt like it went on a bit too long for how slow you moved. Now granted I made very little ziplines and didn't built a whole lot of stuff at all really. I never built any roads past the initial one. I probably built those timefall shelters here and there when I needed them, but the big thing was I just didn't use ziplines. So it made the mountain segment feel a bit tedious after a while.

But then again even THAT had the Heartman scenes, and I loved all of those. I ADORE the scene where Heartman is basically explaining everything to you, the player. It felt like such a genuine movie scene between the two characters, it might be my favorite scene in the whole game (the one when he fakes killing himself this time and just vomits exposition at you).

Man this game was good. MAN

The skyscraper idea would've been cool but I can see why that wouldn't really work with the world Kojima made. I Imagine Timefall would make it kind of hard to keep a really tall building standing

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Akuma posted:

The legend is that Kojima always edited all of his trailers himself, though?

And he's loving amazing at it. As much as I loved MGSV the trailers for the years running up to release were loving phenomenal and IMO were maybe more evocative than the final product. I still go back and watch some of them like the Elegia trailer.

The Death Stranding trailers were also great but it was weird how they ended up just basically being mostly cutscenes from the early game.

Well some of it was from the very end of the game :v:

My favorite thing about the trailers is how the game ended up it being anywhere close to as weird as the trailers made it seem

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

dodgeblan posted:

there's no project in the history of human artistic expression that needs an unfiltered expression of the director's artistic vision less than Death Stranding

Counterpoint: Death Stranding's director's cut will kick rear end, just like the near perfect original

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Delector

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

All of you jerks that didn't enjoy the fake credits, all your jerks who think Kojima should've been reigned in, none of you appreciate TRUE ART :argh:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Game of the year 2019 deserves a sequel imo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

:hmmyes:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I wonder how Santa Clause is handling the Death Stranding

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Romes128 posted:

The end is like 2+ hours long lol.

Yeah it kicks rear end

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Anyone who can't handle the credits sequence in this game is weak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

That Bones song that plays during the first walk to the incinerator set the tone better than maybe any game I've ever played