Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

boy nothing like realizing I'm about to hit a Mads Mikkelsen Shooting Segment to kill my buzz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Discovered this for myself by accident today: turns out being midair when an enemy ping sweeps past will juke it! The more you know.

https://i.imgur.com/BD9Ao77.mp4

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I assume as much, yeah. I wasn't even trying to do that, I was trying to regain control and send out that far-too-late counter-ping :v:

('course there was a mule like right there, but it's the principle of the thing dangit)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Party Boat posted:

I like a cover, extra battery and tons of grenade pouches for BT encounters. If I'm heading into new territory I'll generally take a ladder and set of climbing anchors but not more than one of each unless I have good reason. Almost everything else is on a needs basis. The stabiliser does make it impossible to fall over (with some great animations) but it isn't worth the space it takes up for me, keeping your footing is rarely difficult.

Pretty much likewise though I usually go for two ladders - sometimes three. Useful things, those.

Backpack customizations are also the same - one battery and grenade pouches to fill. I also bring two to three container repair spray everywhere because holy poo poo does cargo erode fast on VH, i've had to burn cans in the middle of torrential downpour just to make sure I made it without damaging the cargo. (I've got a better eye now for overhangs to get dry in if there's no timefall shelters, at least :v:)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 10, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

wait the what now?

(e) both this stealth charm and better bt method

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 10, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh yeah i forgot the cord cutter was a thing. i'm not much for stealth in most video games, i try way too hard to stay hidden followed by being way too blase about going loud :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

so i just got to heartman's lab "yeah, boyee" lmao i'm loving dead (edit) and so's that guy

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 12, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm aware that there's a sort-of-point-of-no-return sometime soon(ish?) after Episode 8 (Heartman). How far can I go here before getting locked into... whatever comes after?

In fact would anyone mind broadly spoiling what does come after? I'm sensing lots and lots of the Mads Combat Hour, lots of BT-killing, or both :(

Also: wow do packages & backpack covers get shredded fast in those mountains, jfc. I wanna bring a dozen PCC2s everywhere with me just so I can drop and destroy timefall shelters alongside ziplines :stare:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh, okay, that helps some. I thought it'd be save-reloading at worst, or more likely a rewind to just before... whatever... kicks off

It's still a multi-hour affair of not much delivery at all, I assume, but I guess I'll find out

(e) assuming I don't hulk smash my controller trying to get that incredibly fragile package delivered. haven't tried it yet but based on earlier experiences that's going to suck :cripes:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh god there IS more Mads Mikkelsen Combat Tour :cripes: the return trip and the stuff preceding was fine, i didn't want this, i haven't seen a single credit roll even :cry:

i'm pleased i figured out crossing the belt pretty quick, at least. not that all the mails weren't a considerable hint

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 15, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

despite being forewarned I’m amazed how lame this “interactive” credit roll thing is

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ye I went down from VH straight to normal for the whole finale because eff that

At the second credit roll, hope this is the real one or I’ve made a terrible error this evening

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Valtonen posted:

Reading this is glorious Because If you scroll back some 100 pages Its literally word for word me, I started crossing the tar belt aroubd 8pm after putting kids to bed; then at around 11 was like ”yeah I can finish this tonight” …

Lo and behold I was done at 9am the next morning, with 2 Angry toddlers screaming for attention

Kojima gets everyone.

luckily it was the real one so my bedtime wasn't too out there

My Thoughts tldr: great game but when it comes to the pen Kojima needed that loving oversight, jesus christ. especially for all the loving self-aggrandizement he did, it actually made me a little cross by the end lol

(e) does do a good trailer tho, i'll let him have that

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

on that note, despite the massive amount of repetition and exposition in the game, I have some plot questions because I went "gently caress this" and got blazed about a third into credit roll 1 and undoubtedly missed some fine detail. basically all ending poo poo so here comes the CIA document questions

- about the President: so Bridget/Amelie are one person and she was the EE all along. Why'd they get split into Amelie on the Beach and Bridget in the real world? After that split, were Bridget & Amelie the same person with the same goals, or was it a Jekyll/Hyde thing?
- about BBs: so all those elevator flashbacks were Sam's earliest memories, and he was one of the earliest BBs - taken out of the game as a fetus by a bullet, very sad - and was Cliff's target all along. What about BB-28, does that make him(?) a completely separate BB with an unknown (and unexplained) history that just so happened to get to Sam by way of Igor at the start, or is he somehow related to the broader plot? (At first I thought he was Sam too and there was some timey-wimey bullshit afoot)
- about the Death Stranding: were the first BT contact & voidouts in the BB experiments a part of Bridget/Amelie's grand design, or a fuckup?
- about Higgs: if he was being puppeted the whole time, what was with those two boss fights and Amelie being apparently under his control?
- about Amelie: what the hell is her goal here? I got all the blah-blah philosophy about mass extinctions being good in the long run, but if her goals were keeping humanity going, couldn't she just... like... not do the Last Stranding at all??
- about the final delivery and Sam's fate: not really a question because I don't know how to form it, but something about Sam returning to being a bitter, aloof asswipe - "same as [he] was back in that cave" - after all that seems... wrong? like i get disconnecting from Bridges, if only to make sure they don't find out about Lou, but why walk away and sever ties with e.g. Fragile?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 15, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

World War Mammories posted:

just rip off yoko taro and make the credits the final boss

at least that would have been entertaining!!!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

been crawling the thread for a lark, and

Monkey Fracas posted:

actually timefall won't damage your cargo, only the container

of course if your container is ruined the cargo itself will take a ton of damage if Sam biffs it or drives a motorcycle off a sheer cliff

in summary Do Not Fall Down
timefall doesn't damage cargo? just the containers??? :stare:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

d'aww. I just got the harmonica (in the postgame :eng99:), and I recognized what song he plays for BB while resting :unsmith:

Does he play that same song if you get the harmonica when first available?

(ed)

Philippe posted:

Sidenote, what's everyone's favorite spot for hunting BTs?
I liked setting up shop here, roughly where the safehouse in the middle is

Rest there to restock on ammo for whatever you're using, cross the river junction going southwest toward the Photographer, and you'll be drowning in the fuckers. Boss arena's basically right there too, quick to run right back to the safe house afterward

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 17, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Yes. (Also Sam’s jingle that plays when he gets a mail is the first few notes). Took me a while to realize that every character has their own jingle.

Neat! I kind of want to go back through the story. Even though so much of it is pure logorrhea, the parts that aren't are pretty rad, and I'd love to go catch more instances of foreshadowing like that very song.

Too bad there's no, idk, NG+ or something - granted being superman kinda breaks the back of the difficulty curve, such as it is, but not having a speed suit and especially Sticky Guns just fuckin sucks lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

so are the hidden preppers in the southwest as much of a complete pain in the rear end to find and get on the network as the First Prepper was, because that was an Ordeal, postgame equipment or not

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

aw gently caress me i shoulda known not to ask a cursed question

like saying "how hard could it be" or "this road in SnowRunner seems safe and not muddy"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

holy cow the veteran porter sucks

is that adjacent square area to his west also his territory or is there one more prepper I'm missing? I've been all over that drat block looking for (and failing to find) lost cargo for that rear end in a top hat

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm in the postgame and found a bit of cargo, but not enough to even hit half of one star

Ran 'round to the paleontologist, geologist, evo-devo, heartman's lab, and poo poo even routed my zips between the paleo and around to the south to the timefall farm and thence to south knot, just in case. never found more cargo, or anyone with orders to the fucker

even did the rest and get emails thing, he sent me one mail then shut the hell up

:mad: i'm gonna go play snowrunner

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh my god is that how it works??? i'll check it out later, thanks!!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yeah, didn't help me - South Knot and the Timefall Farm just plain don't have any orders for the fuckhead at all.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

(edit) After going to Timefall Farm, then the Veteran Porter and back, the farm had a single order for him. Wut? :psyduck:

hopefully this gets him the star

(e) well thank christ for that

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 25, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

Another way is to take one down with melee, grab whatever he's carrying (as it flies through the air for style points) and throw it at the next guy, repeat until they're all out.

cargo-kata is the Objectively Correct* way to play this game

https://i.imgur.com/JcCDF5o.mp4

* not really, of course, but I sure enjoy it lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

I was literally crouched with a cord running through my body and no position I got into would prompt me to cut it.

I’ll try it again tomorrow I guess. I already found a couple of BTs that are immune to my blood weapons so hopefully I can get this to work.

in my experience you gotta get close to the BT itself and not just any dang where on the cord, strangely (e: i know you said you got right on their rear end, though)

once i started getting close enough to breathe on them (were i not holding my breath/wearing an oxygen mask), and i mean "why the gently caress am I not busted yet" close, the prompt came up quite reliably

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 25, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

As always complaining on the internet helped, I was cutting cords left and right this evening.

its almost magical how often that works, isn't it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

to be fair i wish floating carriers were more useful and that's definitely a way to do it

(e) until late anyway

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mr. Barnesworth posted:

This one stumped me too for awhile, you need to have a certain item equipped as your weapon. I think it was that strand rope (it's been a couple months since playing it) you use to bind Mules, with that equipped you'll be able to cut their cords. Or maybe you just need to not have any weapon equipped?

I believe it's the latter, as I never bothered to get out the strand unless someone actually needed hogtyin' and I never had a problem cutting cords. getting that is a massive relief every time i play

(e) i know you can bola a BT but can you hogtie one

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

this game is basically snowrunner minus diff locks plus kojima & mikkelsen

as i write this i realize this isn't as much of a shitpost-y statement as i thought

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

Talking of overwriting old saves, I've just started a new game and a few hours in I'm getting likes for people using my zip lines :thunk:

What's spookier is getting Likes from yourself of a long-deleted save

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yeah that recommendation is mostly about the new toys you start getting in the main map, starting with chapter 3 - robo legs, trucks, highways, and so forth - probably more if you have the director's cut, idk, haven't paid enough attention

but not a one of those is needed on the first map, so gently caress it if you're having fun you do you (and i can understand the temptation)

gently caress the foot route to the wind farm tho i definitely did that 5* postgame :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

part of me wishes highways weren't in the game

the rest of me realizes how mind-bogglingly insane i'd go trying to get to mountain knot with cargo before i can put up enough poles

... drat now i want to try to actually play with that restriction a little. director's cut PC when

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

that's ok, the entire concept of time fell into a wormhole two years ago

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Black Griffon posted:

Oh I just got it to work (at least better rumble, did you know the cutscenes are long?)! Paradoxically, you have to disable PS controller support in general steam settings. Will report back about the triggers once I get the chance to lift stuff.

e: Can confirm that everything works as it should, and it rules. It was literally unplayable the other way.

I also had to re-enable the controller's audio-out device in Windows to get the haptics to work, which... okay, little odd but sure :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Imaginary Friend posted:

So.. the only way to get my old save is to reinstall the OG version and export it?

Yup! Iiiit's dumb~

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

y'all probably farther already than I am, just got to the wind farm, but I'm on VH and I actually got busted on the way from not having enough stamina (and i forgot to try throwing EX grenades at the grabby fuckers :doh:). Never got busted on hard unless I wanted to be

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

can you actually use your handy dandy rope on BTs, like before getting the cord cutter or anything? I coulda swore I read that at somepoint, or maybe I confused it with the bola gun

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

wish you could use cargo-kata against BTs. just whap em in the weird gold mask thing with 20kg of ceramics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i'm trying to grind out floating carrier lvl 3 before I start heading for South Knot :shepface: I'm schlepping crap on a bike and some (admittedly pretty sweet) jump ramps back and forth across the rocks & river between Distro Center S. of Lake Knot and the Weather Station

shouldn't I have been able to fab Vans by now, tho? I forget