Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
Centrists are the least crazy and extremist faction in American politics. They're not always right but they're certainly not the kind of people prone to insane conspiracy theories and eschewing all factual information in favor of unhinged all-caps internet ranting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

there is still a tiny sliver of hope for the united states

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

when people were wrong i felt a small moral obligation to teach them

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Jon Joe posted:

im gonna be honest, im a freaking dumbass

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

World War Mammories posted:

incrementalism is a practically and morally sound strategy and the best way to bring about leftist policy

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Harry Potter is a fun but silly children's series that is serving as a gateway to reading real literature

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

TrilliontonNixon posted:

That the Obama presidency would actually leave a lasting mark on American politics.

Even now I still can't believe how quickly Obama's legacy went up in smoke.

Technically he left a lasting mark. His election is a clear marker for when "seething white racial grievance" started transitioning into "open white nationalism" on the right. He was the straw that broke the camels back, thats an accomplishment, right?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

steve bannon will be the chief architect of white house policy for the entirety of trump's presidency

TrilliontonNixon posted:

That the Obama presidency would actually leave a lasting mark on American politics.

i stopped thinking that Obama would be the new FDR a couple years in. i went into it wanting him to do another New Deal. at the time he got elected i certainly thought that's what he should do

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Internet nazis are a small niche group that will never have any real influence in politics and most of them are doing fyad style irony anyway.

Even if Trump wins the democrats will fight him tooth and nail and make his one term a miserable failure.

Climate change is going to become such an obvious problem that ignoring it will be political suicide.

Things will get better.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

TrilliontonNixon posted:

What legacy? Aside from Trump, of course.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Obama's legacy will forever be that he twice stopped Hillary from being President, first by out campaigning her and then by salting the earth with terrible neoliberal governance.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
there are things worth living for and things might get better

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Helsing posted:

Obama's legacy will forever be that he twice stopped Hillary from being President, first by out campaigning her and then by salting the earth with terrible neoliberal governance.

Hey! Thats unfair! Actively stopping someone from doing something would require some kind of action, which would use up that sweet political capital that Obama had to hoard for his entire presidency. Since he kept it all, he can go on an infinite vacation at Billionaire Whore Island.

Give Hillary credit, she failed all on her own. In '08, by hiring people that didn't know how the primary system actually worked, and in '16, by hiring people who didn't know how the electoral college worked. Many of these people were the same people!

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
People will have to notice the ever increasing extremes that are happening with the weather and realize climate change is the most important issue facing every person on earth. We'll come together and try to mitigate the damage.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Calling for an end to abortion is just red meat that conservative politicians toss the base; they know it’d be societal chaos if they ever actually banned it

poo poo. got me with this one

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

In May of 2019 we will not still be talking about the 2016 election.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jon Joe posted:

im gonna be honest, im a freaking dumbass

uh it's not "itt post things you unironically believe after 2016" tia

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Everything matt-

Chokes McGee posted:

uh it's not "itt post things you unironically believe after 2016" tia

Never mind.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Hey! Thats unfair! Actively stopping someone from doing something would require some kind of action, which would use up that sweet political capital that Obama had to hoard for his entire presidency. Since he kept it all, he can go on an infinite vacation at Billionaire Whore Island.

Give Hillary credit, she failed all on her own. In '08, by hiring people that didn't know how the primary system actually worked, and in '16, by hiring people who didn't know how the electoral college worked. Many of these people were the same people!

Obama could at least partially redeem his "legacy" by humbly endorsing Bernie Sanders' progressive platform in retrospect, and then vigorously campaign for each issue in that platform. The survival of the country literally depends on this platform getting implemented. But then the billionaire class would pull his historically high, multimillion dollar book deal so of course he won't.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

This isn't quite on topic but immediately after 2016 I remember being so happy because I thought all the millionaire liberals would finally pull their heads out of their asses and we'd see some traction on scaling back the limitless power of the executive branch.

fuckin lol

look how loving stupid I was

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

making extremely hamfisted justifications for why a movie, tv show, comic book, etc. is good politics with no basis in reality only appeal to Something Awful and other websites and internet forums catering to stunted manchildren

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Harry Potter is a fun but silly children's series that is serving as a gateway to reading real literature

oh poo poo, this is the truest thing in the thread

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Over Easy posted:

oh poo poo, this is the truest thing in the thread
sort of, it was obvious this was a line of bullshit well before 2016

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Technically he left a lasting mark. His election is a clear marker for when "seething white racial grievance" started transitioning into "open white nationalism" on the right. He was the straw that broke the camels back, thats an accomplishment, right?

its more than that - his presidency completely exploded the prevailing approach to race in public discourse, which was to pretend things were on a continuous path of improvement (just look at all that representation!) and we were moving towards some sort of post-racial society

that has entirely changed since his presidency began, which is not all a bad thing despite the rise in overt white nationalism, not least because it often served as cover for heinous abuse and neglect

to me the overt white nationalism seems to be partially the revelation of something always very present, and partially growth as it is a comprehensive worldview/narrative that is offered/heavily promoted in an environment where much of the political leadership cleaves strongly to thoroughly discredited alternatives (neoliberalism and movement conservatism)

this is ultimately a pretty easy transition for a lot of the political leadership (and their owners) on the right, because the white nationalist worldview doesn't contradict their desired ends, while Democrats/liberal political leadership (and their owners) face a real problem because they don't have a similarly undemanding worldview/narrative to point to (and they're so corrupt and out of practice doing actual politics that they're unable to make the necessary compromises or even maintain kayfabe)

LGD has issued a correction as of 19:35 on May 31, 2019

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Pryor on Fire posted:

This isn't quite on topic but immediately after 2016 I remember being so happy because I thought all the millionaire liberals would finally pull their heads out of their asses and we'd see some traction on scaling back the limitless power of the executive branch.

fuckin lol

look how loving stupid I was

To be unnecessarily fair to the millionaire libs, making any actual movement on this would require getting Cocaine Mitch to sign off, which, lol.

They probably wouldn't do anything anyway.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
That conservatives are human beings

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

thinkpiece writers will focus on actual worthwhile issues now that there's something to visibly fight against

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010
Evilweasel is a good poster.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Who What Now posted:

That conservatives are human beings

you actually believed this?

Giggy posted:

Evilweasel is a good poster.

you actually believed this?!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Chokes McGee posted:

you actually believed this?

you actually believed this?!

I used to think that many of them were just too stupid to hear the dog whistles and were being duped. But now that they're all saying the quiet parts loud I've realized that they're all irredeemable scum.

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
The revelation that NRO conservatives statistically don't exist came as a surprise to me as well, as their publications go out of business and nobody ever seems to engage with Jennifer Rubin or Bret Stephens or Bill Kristol except to poo poo all over them.

By 2016 it was obvious that Sarah Palin and Cliven Bundy were the true face of the party, but I still assumed there were few hundred thousand Onion Kelly granddads sitting in leather chairs with a tobacco pipe, their eyes moving emptily over the American Spectator and going "Heh, indeed!" without comprehending any of the words.

But no, that whole medium was a pure Potemkin Village, 100% astroturf, kept afloat by dark money and absolutely nothing else.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I remember wondering what would happen to the Trump wing of the party after the election, because clearly the republicans would understand that they couldn't go on like this and would have to change gears.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
A whole lot of people are fiscally conservative but socially liberal.

Those terms make sense and are useful.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
At the start of 2016 I wanted to be a Renaissance man.

(now I think the renaissance was a mistake)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Things will get better.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Grondoth posted:

A whole lot of people are fiscally conservative but socially liberal.

Those terms make sense and are useful.

"The problems are bad. But their causes... *clenches fist* their causes are very good."

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

Centrists are the least crazy and extremist faction in American politics. They're not always right but they're certainly not the kind of people prone to insane conspiracy theories and eschewing all factual information in favor of unhinged all-caps internet ranting.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
agriculture is a net positive for our species

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Obama, while having problems wasn't a bad president

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
most people are decent at their core, and the fringe lunatics still screaming about how g-d hates fags are only getting more shrill, not more voluminous