Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Honda Wagon, 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

I should clarify air-cooled 911s.

because you have a lot of money that you want to spend for some reason?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

I have not driven one. I really really very want to drive one but nobody in their right mind would let me unless I were very serious I imagine.

you need to find a friend, i drove a buddy's kind of ratty G series and it was glorious even if the car stalled every time you stopped completely.

I was always kind of a Porsche hater but after that I understood better.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

T-Square posted:

Yeah, but we're just schmucks on the internet, and it's on YouTube for morbid entertainment.

he probably cut the clip for that purpose and then uploaded it, though

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's good to have a price based discussion before you drive a long way to see a car, I think we all agree on that.

however nobody on craigo posting a four thousand dollar car owes you jack poo poo, and vice versa

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Lord Stimperor posted:

Frankly that message sounds like something my father writes before wondering why no one speaks to him

dude probably ain't replying on principle, good for him

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

QuarkMartial posted:

Guess I'm a big boy mechanic now since I just lost my first 10mm socket and extension (1/4" drive + 2" wobble extension). Rolled off into the engine bay never to be seen again. I spent more time looking for it than I did actually working on my truck.

it should be possible to buy a six pack of 10mm sockets

note that this may already exist, i haven't even tried to look at it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Yikes.

My dad likes model trains.

And he owns this fuckin thing

whats his username

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dagen H posted:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR

im cooler than i thought

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

IIRC, he said something about Mexican food in Michigan being as good as Mexican food in southern California, was kinda pushy about it and someone took enough offense to spend :10bux: to stick it to him

I've had Mexican food in Chicago that was better than what I had in San Francisco or Santa Barbara. Please don't change my AV

lol 100% wrong, i said ethnic food in socal is better than ethnic food in michigan

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

That only raises more questions!

michigan people love their lovely state

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

I haven't had it in Irvine personally so I can't really say. However, we have a crazy high population of middle eastern folk (2nd to only the middle east itself I've heard) so I don't know why you are hellbent on fighting the possibly of this being true (if we're going for authenticity at least).

there is really good middle eastern food but asian food on balance sucks here with some notable exceptions

edit: here being michigan

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

oh i forgot about that, i said something about being excited to try ethnic food in irvine while i was there. I just got back the other day and let me now share my opinion:

:words: about food

this pretty well matches what i assess, but i put a lot more weight on japanese food and chinese food because im :japan: :hf: :911: . there's some decent poo poo in novi but most japanese food in MI is made by koreans which should be a crime

OCCA = OCMI is actually a pretty good comparison other than the fact that OCMI is a lot greener

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

QuarkMartial posted:

Regional food discussions crack me up because the south mainly gets ignored unless it's BBQ or fried food.

i have had really good mexican food in NC

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what is up with these people and black cars

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Powershift posted:

Also, i know how much you dudes like tractoring

tractoring so loving hard right now. Still tweaking, but i got the steering wheel and joystick movement almost perfectly 1:1

just buy like a used R

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

hash tag drivetastefully is a bit much with those horrible wheels

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Powershift posted:

You know what? forget the pickup truck thing, you're a family man, you need a minivan.

this looks like a Lincoln Hijet

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the classic AMG wheels were Monoblocks but i don't know if they still make the style or in the correct offset. i found a knockoff here:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-alzor-p...7RoCdiwQAvD_BwE

there's also a wheel thread, you might get some traction there

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Darchangel posted:

I see what you did there.

Holy poo poo, I didn't even do that on purpose. The pull of Dad is strong.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

STR posted:

Wait, no radio was still a thing in the mid-late 90s? :stare:

I can understand northern vehicles not having AC, but I would imagine it costs MORE to not put a radio in vs putting in a basic radio, even for a 1996 model year. Surprised they offered a radio delete. You've gotta tell everyone on the assembly line not to put a radio or speakers in, and put in that specific blockoff plate, and hope they remember. Unless the "delete" is really just a blank plate that still has all the wiring and speakers in place.

Gonna guess it was one of those "we can offer a vehicle for <insanely low price> because it literally has NOTHING" vehicles, right? Kinda like a lot of Kia and Mitsubishi dealers offer <$10k cars, but in the fine print you find out your new Rio or Mirage doesn't have AC or a radio. Yes, they even pull that poo poo in Texas, at least Mitsubishi does (been a bit since I saw a Kia ad for $10k). Don't know if Kia still pulls the no AC bit, but every Mitsubishi dealer still keeps a super stripped no-AC base model Mirage on the lot just so they can advertise they have a car for $9999.99.

Wiring is likely there, but no speaker and no radio and no antenna. You don't "tell" the line guys to do something, it's part of a standardized build sheet and set of instructions with each car for each step (god willing and assuming you're not a domestic joint pre-1995). You also probably run a bunch of non-radio cars at the same time which reduces the chances of the people on the line to gently caress it up. The cost of complexity on the line in terms of adding processes, while something, is not super high and even more so if you are deleting a step. Usually cost of complexity is in the supply chain and sourcing, and since you don't source alternate parts, there's probably a small net supply chain cost savings. Plus, you then don't buy the radio ($5, maybe?) or the speakers ($2 each?) or the antenna ($5?) and that saves you twenty, twenty five bucks on the car in total. Not big, but the real goal is to be able to put the radio in an option package that costs $250 and you're in fuckin business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Previa_fun posted:

Didn't the WRX STi not come with a radio for a long time *~because racecar~* or am I thinking of a different car

I think you could pay lotus like two grand to build your Elise without AC or radio