Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Perpetual Grace, Ltd is a new neo-noir series on Epix (whatever that is) by Steve Conrad, creator of Patriot on Amazon, which if you haven't seen you are the enemy of all TVIVers everywhere because it is loving awesome and maybe the most underrated show of this decade. He's co-created this one with Bruce Terris, another writer and producer on Patriot, and stars include Ben loving Kingsley (lots of things), Jacki Weaver (Animal Kingdom), Jimmi Simpson (Westworld), Luis Guzmán (himself in Community and probably nothing else idk), and Damon Herriman (Justified), as well as Patriot alum like Terry O'Quinn, Kurtwood Smith, Chris Conrad, and Michael Chernus.

Here's the trailer and a synopsis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOPWix6Fxqg

quote:

Simpson plays a con artist who seeks to ensnare a pair of religious leaders (Kingsley and Weaver) who seem like easy marks; he plans to have them kidnapped so that he can pretend to be their son and enrich himself with their life insurance. While Simpson’s James easily meshes into this couple’s lives (aided by their actual son, a floundering ne’er-do-well played by Damon Herriman) he comes to discover that the pastor and his wife are more formidable than he’d initially believed.

I've read three reviews and two were insanely positive while the third was like "wah wah another antihero drama" which is what people said about Patriot at first and they were dead wrong so. Show premieres TONIGHT at 10/9c. Watch it legally if you can! Let's make Steve Conrad a brand so Amazon have to renew Patriot!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Who the gently caress can watch Epix legally? Like cable owners? Those still exist?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Epix is a cable channel, yes.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Epix is available as an add-on through most (maybe all) streaming cable servicds, and I think if you have Hulu or Amazon Prime you can add it on there.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Oh that’s much better. Thanks!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

So this was really good and totally reminded me of Patriot in the best ways.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watching now and hahaha those loving opening credits, whaaaaat :psyduck:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There's not an Epix add on for Prime :mad:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

precision posted:

I stole my folks cable account and logged into the Epix app on Ruku.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Very strong pilot. Definitely captures that Patriot tone, albeit slower and not quite as focused on comedy (don’t get me wrong though it’s still super funny when it wants to be). Jimmi Simpson gets exactly what Conrad’s going for in the same way Michael Dorman does. Excited to see what Kingsley gets up to. So sad I can’t binge this one :(

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I saw billions of ads for this when my wife was watching something about Tiny Houses on amazon prime, and i just tuned it out the first 50 times, then started thinking it seemed kind of cool the next 10 times, then finally looked it up and clicked through the creator's name on wikipedia to discover that tidbit about him being behind Patriot.

Going to try to figure out how to watch it... It's so weird to me that they got this cast for a show on the real life equivalent of What Time Is It Right Now?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

Sorry about that! I thought there was but it turns out it's just a listing of Epix stuff to purchase. And Hulu just has a small selection of their stuff.

They do have a standalone sub for $6/mo, though.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Finished the premiere and loved it. I can't wait to see Ben loving Kingsley become death incarnate and burn everything down. Also I was pleasantly surprised to see Damon Herriman after becoming a big fan of his for his role in the cancelled-too-soon Quarry (watch Quarry if you can find it!).

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

pahuyuth posted:

Also I was pleasantly surprised to see Damon Herriman after becoming a big fan of his for his role in the cancelled-too-soon Quarry (watch Quarry if you can find it!).

I assume you've seen Justified?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He’s also played Charles Manson twice this year, the second time in the upcoming Tarantino.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Junkenstein posted:

I assume you've seen Justified?

I've seen S1 and maybe half of S2 and I don't remember him in any of that but I watched it a long time ago. When does he show up?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

pahuyuth posted:

I've seen S1 and maybe half of S2 and I don't remember him in any of that but I watched it a long time ago. When does he show up?

He's Dewey Crowe!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Second ep is on Amazon or whatever now, I’m watching it.

Get some of Chris Conrad’s character in this one. He’s fuckin great, as expected.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I have not heard a single thing about this existing but I'll check it out because I like Patriot and I fuckin love Kurtwood Smith. But I do not appreciate the OP's description of Luis Guzmán :colbert:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I protest the implication that Luiz Guzman is only in Community, he was also in

*snaps fingers, gestures for phone*

...IMDb

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Pfft. Oz, Narcos, John From Cincinatti. He's a cool guy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
he’s great in Boogie Nights tbf I just couldn’t resist that joke

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Davros1 posted:

He's Dewey Crowe!

No coleslaw!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Escobarbarian posted:

Second ep is on Amazon or whatever now, I’m watching it.

Get some of Chris Conrad’s character in this one. He’s fuckin great, as expected.

TIL Chris Conrad is Steve Conrad's brother. Which is good, because that means he is in this show.

Edit: I have to say I really love whatever you would describe Steve Conrad's dialogue style as. Very unique voice for a show and I honestly wouldnt mind if he just kept creating shows that all sounded similar. Jimmi Simpson definitely sounds the most "Patriot-esque" of the show, especially in ep 1 when he is robbing the little pawn shop kid.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jun 10, 2019

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This was another great episode, my only issue is that why didn’t Jimmi Simpson bring up the 90 days thing to Dewey Crowe when he learned about it just before

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Fast Luck posted:

Going to try to figure out how to watch it... It's so weird to me that they got this cast for a show on the real life equivalent of What Time Is It Right Now?
update: i failed to figure out how to watch it. i guess you can get a 7-day epix trial through prime but that only works to watch this if the whole season is already out... so you need to wiat until then and use the trial or actually subscribe to this channel ive never heard of before if youre not gonna just bit torrent it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So then torrent it lol

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I didn't realize this was already out. I love that trailer, both for using The Dead South and also for the complete 180 halfway through.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I watched this most recent episode while a little too drunk and had no clue what the gently caress was even happening. Looks great though

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This show owns. Steve Conrad is my hero

e: forgot to mention, for my Patriot dudes; this is the episode where Kurtwood Smith turns up!

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 16, 2019

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

This show owns. Steve Conrad is my hero

e: forgot to mention, for my Patriot dudes; this is the episode where Kurtwood Smith turns up!

Oh poo poo! Great news. I wish Steve had this on a channel that gets more than a dozen viewers.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
It's on Australia's home-grown Netflix competitors service here, so I'm hoping that makes it easier to get my friends to watch it at least.

Jacki Weaver and Ben Kingsley capture that "super sweet and totally terrifying at the same time" vibe amazingly.

Can't believe Weaver didn't get her first Hollywood Role until she was 65.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Perpetual Grace, LTD-I am a registered sex offender, we did not touch, please take your change.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
My god, things have really gone to poo poo. I feel like things are way more out of control in 3 episodes than they ever were with Patriot. Really excited to see how the hell this plays out.

Also, horizontal split screen scenes are amazing. So much better than vertical.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I think the thing I like the most so far is how they subverted the trope (guess I'll spoiler it) I like that when he found out about how lovely Dewey Crowe's life was, I expected him to vanish leaving him holding the bag and trying to figure things out. But nope, they're still working together for that big payday.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I like how dense Pawn Shop kid was about about tides. What did he call him? Moon Man?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
It was Pop in the fist episode that did the "you know why a Mexican has never been to the moon?" line wasn't it? Can't remember if it was this show or something else.

Makes the episode title/story line of this episode even more hilarious.

cheeeeesecake
Aug 16, 2003
Anyone else just find themselves randomly chanting "Get it, get the rhythm get the rhythm there you go there you fuckin go"?
Just me? OK!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

cheeeeesecake posted:

Anyone else just find themselves randomly chanting "Get it, get the rhythm get the rhythm there you go there you fuckin go"?
Just me? OK!

Only when I'm cutting off my thumb with a god drat beer can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
The othe Mcpoyle family members should do a cameo