Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

some handy promotional text posted:

Outer Wilds is an open world mystery about a solar system trapped in an endless time loop.

Welcome to the Space Program!
You’re the newest recruit of Outer Wilds Ventures, a fledgling space program searching for answers in a strange, constantly evolving solar system.

Mysteries of the Solar System...
What lurks in the heart of the ominous Dark Bramble? Who built the alien ruins on the Moon? Can the endless time loop be stopped? Answers await you in the most dangerous reaches of space.

Created by Mobius Digital / Annapurna Interactive

Do you like open-ended exploration with some light puzzling and a gorgeous soundtrack? Do you like reading graffiti left by a long-extinct alien race? Do you like anglerfish? Do you hate anglerfish? Outer Wilds might be the game for you!

who do I throw my money at?

Game's $25 on Xbox One and PC. (Yes, it's Epic store only for now, yes, I know, don't poo poo the thread.) Good news, it's now on Steam, too!

what's the deal with the DLC?

it seamlessly integrates into the base game by adding a new, huge, self-contained place to explore. (check the museum for a hint to get you started!) it can be done at any point, but you'll get a little more out of it if you save it for after you've explored everything else!

so is this just a walking simulator?

Nope. You've got a spaceship and a jetpack, and plenty of freedom to use both. And plenty of freedom to go too fast and crash into a planet at 1000 m/s!

I wanna see some more promotional material.

Sure, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKJUMMCJvGM

Misc. Tip

There IS one thing I feel comfortable spoiling; just because it's an insane quality of life upgrade that's easy to miss.

Talk to Gabbro twice and he'll teach you how to meditate; which lets you skip to the end of the loop while keeping all your ship log discoveries. To get the option, you have to visit him in a loop after the one you first meet him in.

:siren:FINAL PSA:siren:

the whole point of the game is the fun of discovery, so please be liberal with your spoiler tags!

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Zachack posted:

Mid-game question about the comet: I figured out how to get in the comet through the melting ice but don't understand how to get past the ghost cloud in the big hole. Did I miss another route? or is there some other means to progress, because my interpretation of the area makes me think that I am going in the correct way.

yeah, there's a single pretty linear route through the comet. just keep your eyes peeled; you'll know when you've found the end.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

One thing I wish this game had was a way to get back to the ship quickly*, of all things. If I'm on my second visit to an area because there is still more to find, and get what I want, the trek to the ship (if it's even in the vicinity) plus travelling time to another place will take quite a bit. Plus, you know, waiting for the imminent death of the galaxy.

okay, i'm still going to spoiler this just to be ultra-safe; this is a cool moment but it's so easy to miss and has an insane impact on your quality of your life that it should probably be base functionality. hell, i'm adding it to the OP.

Talk to Gabbro. He can teach you how to meditate; which lets you skip to the end of a loop without resetting your log progress. You either need to talk to him twice to get the option, or talk to him in a loop after the one you first met him in.

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jun 3, 2019

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

Is there a way to deal with the cacti y/n?

If by "deal" you mean "remove", then no.

hint: Cacti can't hurt you while they're buried beneath the sand.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

GenderSelectScreen posted:

So... (glitch on Dark Bramble)is the anglerfish supposed to crash my game when it eats me?

Nope.

GenderSelectScreen posted:

Also related to Dark Bramble, how do avoid said fish monsters? The hint saying it's blind didn't make much sense.

They get alerted by the sound of your thrusters. If there's an anglerfish nearby; just drift by until you're a safe distance past it (unless you're gonna crash into a branch - crashing also alerts the fish, so course correct as gently as you can). As far as I can tell, once an anglerfish is aggroed, you are effectively already dead unless you're like 5 feet from the exit.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Can someone help me fig out how to make the shuttles go where they are supposed to? I summon them, get in them, move the ball until i start moving and then float aimlessly forever in the middle of no where or crash into the wrong planet.
Am i missing a step?

You can Move the ball to the upper right to activate the shuttle's gravity beam, which actually lets you land.

For what it's worth, I don't think you need the shuttles for anything; they don't bring you anywhere your ship can't take you. Once you've translated the logs that're on board, you should be good.

Fat Samurai posted:

Is there any way to get into (Brittle Hollow Spoilers) the Hanging City, specifically the top level, without some shenanigans in other planets/places? I can get to the "elevator" via the shortcut to the surface pretty fast, so I don't think it's a matter of getting there faster.

Your first question: No. Once you've raised the "elevator", you can't do anything else from Brittle Hollow.

Hint: Your next stop should be the Ash Twin. Have you discovered its purpose, yet?

Solution, which may spoil more for you than just this puzzle: One of the Ash Twin's teleporter towers will take you to the top of the Hanging City.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Jarvisi posted:

As someone who beat the game, did anyone else hate the ash and ember twins as much as I did?

I liked the flavor of the planets well enough, and the Ember Twin was perfectly fine imo, it's just... having to wait for the Ash Twin to open up made me desperately wish for a "fast forward X minutes" button

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

yeah; I ain't saying it'd be trivial to implement or anything but the game desperately needs a fast forward button. it's my biggest real complaint

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Ending thoughts: kinda lame metaphysical wandering/restoring the cosmic symphony to credits

Not great. Not really a payoff imo.

did you solve the quantum moon?

for me the true payoff was roasting marshmallows for one last time while all your buddies played their instruments. i honestly teared up a bit

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Aphex- posted:

Speaking of the quantum moon, I'm not sure if I've 'solved' it or not. A yes or no would be good just to see whether I can move on to something else.

So I got to the sixth location and met the dude there, 'talked' with him with his language stones and then couldn't find anything else to do other that jump up into the vortex thing. That then dumped me back onto the timber hearth quantum moon and that's where I got to. Couldn't figure out what there was left to do or if I missed something.

As far as I can tell, meeting the lady there is the "end" of the Quantum Moon. It disappointed me that there wasn't a language stone for "goodbye". :smith:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Party Boat posted:

Dark Bramble spoilers

I found the Nomai grave and used my scout to figure out where the Vessel is, but as soon as I go through the red light there's anglerfish RIGHT THERE and even hitting my thrusters gently to avoid them triggered them. Do I just need to get better at silently drifting past or is there some other trick I'm missing?

I solved it by just drifting without touching the controls for an agonizingly long time. I'm not sure if accelerating faster into the red light makes you drift faster on the other side or not; but you'll get to a safe range eventually. There might be a more elegant solution but I was too scared to experiment lmao

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Meallan posted:

Does the game just keep it up the entirity of its length? I am so impressed by Brittle Hollow, I want for other planets to feel this good.

ayup

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Cnidaria posted:

I assumed that the statues are just for uploading and downloading memories from people based on the lore for them. I think the probe launcher itself can just directly transmit to the ash twin project

Yeah, I figured that the last statue corresponded to the last Nomai; the one you meet on the Quantum Moon.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ziji posted:

Looking for some more direction or hints.

Black Hole Forge: What the hell do I do to get here? I have been trying for days and I can't figure out what I'm missing. I've tried hanging around White Hole Station thinking maybe something pops up there and I get on it but nope. I am lost as hell.

Hint: The technology showcased at White Hole Station is they key to reaching the forge.

More specific hint: Try poking around the Ash Twin.

quote:

Cacti, Ghost Matter, Anglers: Not so much looking for a spoiler but is there a special plot thing to grab to get rid of them? Especially the cacti are infuriating haha. Anglers I am generally able to avoid but getting to the Vessel has been a journey.

Nope. Just gotta move around 'em.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Hub Cat posted:

I don't get how Solanum is alive at all, even if she survives the ghost matter explosion she would still have to be 280,000+ years old and there isn't any indication that time is weird there since the supernova can still kill you

She says that she's pretty sure she's not actually alive, and I think that's all the explanation you're gonna get. :v:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ziji posted:

I'll give this a shot, and thanks man. Next time I'll post my lore entries to get a better understanding of what's missing. I am still kind of lost on a lot of stuff and haven't found my way to the Black Hole Forge, Sun Station, or found a way to get to the Vessel without the Anglerfish eating me. I have theories about a lot of stuff but can't seem to find any sort of way to solve it on my own, but I am trying haha. Like for example the white hole station is entirely too confusing for my brain to process how I am supposed to travel from it to anywhere but Brittle Hollow. I have tried everything but it seems the ONLY place that the station can target is Brittle Hollow so idgi.

White Hole Station hint:

The White Hole Station can only teleport you to Brittle Hollow. However, you might be able to find the same teleporter technology elsewhere.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I finally decided to try heading to Dark Bramble and ugggghhhhh. An area where you can't see anything and it constantly sounds like a monster's about to jump out and eat you? gently caress.

Can someone just spoil me on what I should expect in this area? I thought this game was chill but now I don't want to explore anymore. :(

Giant anglerfish that make loud noises and eat you.

Good news: they're the only hostile monster in the game.

Bad news: you do need to explore the bramble.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

DropsySufferer posted:

^I probably wouldn't have figured out how to get down to the bottom of giant's deep without a guide with that new change.

Finished it finally definitely my favorite game this year. It's a real shame more people aren't playing this one. Really amazing game, hope more people try it when it gets to steam.

What I didn't understand is why the perfectly normal sun like star exploded in the first place? What caused the sun in the game to suddenly become a red giant then and blow up in the span of 22 minutes versus billions of years? The sun station is reported to have failed in the messages there or maybe is it was a delayed 200,000 year reaction?

The supernova powers the ash twin project but what caused the supernova is not answered or I missed that one.

I was hoping the game was going to cover that and the sun station falling to work really confused me on the cause of the sun exploding.

it's the heat death of the universe - that's why all the other stars in the sky are dying, too.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

general giant's deep musing:

i find it very funny how the giant ocean world isn't where you find all the terrifying fish. the first time i landed there i 100% expected to see some subnautica bullshit but im glad there were just friendly jellfish

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

beep by grandpa posted:

Yeah a lot of people get mad at that but for me it's just like their curiosity got the best of them. They would just naively dive head-first into everything they were curious about, throwing caution to the wind until one day they paid the ultimate price. It's almost karmic retribution for the reveal on the Vessel that the extinct nomai culture that we run across the whole game straight-up abandoned their entire fleet to pursue the Eye without even notifying anyone about it.

The Nomai didn't have anything to do with the Interloper ghost mattering them all to death, didn't they? It was going to happen, one way or another; the only thing their expedition changed was that a few of them got a horrifying warning about what was about to happen to their entire people.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-KFYqCHZ7A

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

finished the DLC and shoutout to the prisoner for basically singlehandedly ensuring that a new universe gets to be born

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

UP AND ADAM posted:

Similar games to this I can think of are subnautica 1, the la mulana games, but nothing as elegant and distilled as this

return of the obra dinn is very different but it’s got some of the same investigatory appeal imo

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

When the DLC came out, it seemed a lot of people were disappointed. I'm trying not to spoil myself in case I ever play it, but it seems people are less negative now but not really raving about it? Are these stealth sections that I've been reading snippets about a large part of the DLC? Is the atmosphere similar to base game in that you explore weird locations and figure stuff out or is it going for a spooky (aka boring) vibe?

the stealth sections are relatively brief but can be very frustrating if you don’t know any of the several workarounds or that the ‘reduce frights’ option reduces their difficulty. the non-spooky parts outnumber the spooky bits.

overall I’d say the DLC occasionally hits the same heights as the base game (the ending especially made me emotional) but it doubles down on a lot of the frustrations of the base game as well

would definitely recommend it still because there’s really not much else like it

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Goodguy3 posted:

That's the thought I had too but like...so what if you discovered that sooner? I stumbled onto the dream world by complete accident! I figure stumbling onto things by accident is part of the fun!

it feels janky and unintentional honestly

it seems like it's determined by the surface you're standing on more than anything else? like, there were times i had to move around for a while looking straight down before i could even find a place to set my lantern down

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Doom Mathematic posted:

Hint: you may remember feeling the same way after meeting Solanum in the base game.

the slideshow and the music for taking to the prisoner legit made me cry a little so i legit don’t understand anyone who was underwhelmed by that lmao

but it WOULD be nice to more definitely know that you’re done there afterward

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Arrhythmia posted:

Beating the game after beating the DLC is a must for you, then.

oh I did and it was great i just think meeting the prisoner is an incredibly powerful moment on its own

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Right now I'm working on figuring out how to unlock the sarcophagus with the three seals. Do you ever actually find the three codes associated with those seals, or are they burned away everywhere? I thought they would be listed in the "secret" archives you find but nope.

if you actually want to know the answer to this:

The three codes do not exist anywhere in the game.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Technically the code for the left bridge exists, as you have to put one in to solve that puzzle.

i guess! :v:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

minato posted:

- why did that one ElkOwl have the "Eye is bad" vision? Was it caused by anything specific?

this one's definitely up for interpretation - my thought was that, by analyzing the eye, they understood its purpose and place in the universe, but misunderstand its true meaning.

the OwlDeer fixate on the death while ignoring the part of the vision that shows new life sprouting and flourishing in the skulls that were left behind, and in the process almost ensure that the end of the universe is truly the end of everything.

the eye isn't bad. the eye isn't good. but the eye is an essential part of the cycle of the universe.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I was watching someone play the game on youtube, and something they mentioned made me think of something. Do the elk people never accidentally slip and fall into the water? Also, do they realize they are dead? Do they get notified of when they die? Does someone not realize they have died and then then put their lantern out and then just disappear forever? Or do they walk up to an alarm one day and notice it isn't making any sound and then realize they are dead?

they 100% all know they’re dead; they all consciously chose to let themselves rot away in the simulation instead of having a ‘real’ life. so even if they don’t have a ‘sense’ of being dead, i doubt any of them ever planned to wake up

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ardryn posted:

It's debatable that they intended to let their physical bodies die, even if all of them being sim-side at once is pretty suspicous, but considering we find some ghost matter even inside the Stranger it didn't matter once the Interloper entered the system.

i dunno it's technically ambiguous how long it took between the prisoner freeing the signal and the Nomai showing up, but i find it hard to believe any of the strangers were alive by the time they got there

like they'd either have to have 1. astonishingly long lifespans or 2. be raising countless new generations of children on a spaceship they hate being on

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

drkhrs2020 posted:

nothing in the OP, but is the DLC better played from a old save file prior to the end or should I start a fresh gameplay?

its better with an old save file (but yeah finish the game again after you beat the DLC)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

I thought this guy had gone and found the castle with the dead humans in it, but it's just a raft! I mean, it's interesting, but it's not:

oh holy poo poo