Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

gently caress, the game just ate my save. Started it up and it asked me to enter a profile name like I had never played it before and I only have the option to start a new game. I think I was pretty close to done too - only missing thing I had left in the rumor map was the Ash Twin Project.

Anyone know what actions actually affect progress or endings or whatever, so I can just skip ahead to where I was? I'm guessing talking to the Nomai on the quantum moon was important, and obviously there was getting the Eye coordinates from that probe cannon module.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

Completing the Quantum Moon does affect the ending somewhat. The only other things you need are:

The Eye coordinates, the location of the Vessel, and something very important from inside the Ash Twin Project.

I went ahead and beat it, and it looks like one other thing has a tiny effect: since I didn't go to the comet in this run, the placard about the Nomai at the end said that we never found out how they died. I'm guessing that would've been different if I had seen the ghost matter shell.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Probably a dumb question but (major spoilers) The interloper's core detonating is what coated the solar system in ghost matter and wiped out all the Nomai in an instant, but why did the protagonist's species (forget their name atm) not also die out? There doesn't seem to be any life at all in the solar system other than them left (and the jellyfish and anglers I guess). You clearly aren't immune to ghost matter since touching it kills you. I know your people were non sapient lizard things at the time but still.

Just a guess that isn't supported in the game but maybe ghost matter doesn't penetrate water, or isn't lethal underwater. Your species was aquatic at the time, so that might've saved them (along with the jellyfish).

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

SardonicTyrant posted:

Yeah, but if you screw up, you have to wait around ten real-life minutes to try again.

Speaking of which, the solution to that puzzle didn't really make sense to me even after I figured it out. There are hints enough that that particular warp core is the key, but why do you have to wait for the column of sand to pass over it to be teleported downwards into the core? That doesn't seem consistent with the rules of how teleporters work in the game. Was there some writing somewhere that hinted that this particular teleporter would work this way?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

KoB posted:

Ember needs to be overhead, same as all the others.

You're not going to Ember, though.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

The interior of the Ash Twin Project is spinning at the same speed. The warp cores and Ember Twin just so happen to line up at the same time.

I thought about that but the core is spinning way faster than Ember is orbiting. The warp cores are probably lining up every 10-15 seconds.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Zachack posted:

Going to the moon was easy. It's not far so you can't even build up good cockpit-cracking momentum before slamming into it.

I wonder if they have analytics for average number of spaceship parts broken upon players' first contact with Brittle Hollow.

For me it was 3

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Sankis posted:

Man, I'm really sad after finishing this. Partly because of how good it is and how I'll probably never play anything like it again and also because what a bittersweet ending! Even after all that I was powerless to stop the inevitable. Not to mention what is revealed about the Nomai throughout the course of the game.

If you haven't already played it, the exploration in Subnautica has a very similar feel (except it's like you're in the Dark Bramble 90% of the time)

Its story is mostly just a basic "get off this planet you crash-landed on," though, instead of...everything going on here.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Petit Gregory posted:

Seriously! I stumbled upon the solution to getting inside the quantum tower on Brittle Hollow by accident after being stumped for the longest time.

I was looking all over the tower looking for an entrance and I tried firing my scout into there for an extra set of eyes. Then soon after the whole place fell into the black hole and I figured that was that and just about gave up. That was until I was floating around White Hole Station when I noticed my scout was still nearby and... :aaaaa:

Yeah I kind of lucked into the solution there. I accidentally fell into the black hole while looking into something unrelated, as you do, and it happened to be late in the loop so I spent a few seconds looking around at all the debris surrounding the white hole and, lo and behold, there was the quantum tower.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

I kinda got that Brittle Hollow is uh, really brittle, and hollow :v: so I guess at least part of that was supposed to happen, but I genuinely did clip through the floor last night so I was very confused (in addition to scared shitless) :shrug:

I had a similar experience the first time I was on Brittle Hollow and I was also very confused. What probably happened was the chunk of the planet you were standing on broke off and fell into the black hole, warping both you and the ground into space. It looks pretty janky when it happens.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Nathilus posted:

BIG rear end SPOILERS CONCERNING THE SUPERNOVA AND TIME LOOP.

The Nomai vessel has continued recieving comms from the other Nomai, they're in the top of the vessel's cockpit. They confirm your supernova theory. The universe has simply reached its expiration date. All the stars are exploding, and the other Nomai have all gathered together in the safest harbor they could find.

Your 22 minute theory is half correct. 22 minutes is the longest period of time the Nomai could get the white hole time effect to last, for whatever reason. Could be an energy available or ash twin bus throughput limitation. Presumably the latter as they knew in advance how much energy was needed. The ash twin project is only capable of capturing the last 22 minutes of the star's existence.

Visually it seems like the star's progress is compressed, but I interpret that along with all the other seeming compression as just being in line with this universe's rules. For some reason one of those rules is that at a certain point, the now of the game, all the stars start exploding. The home star of the game is visually healthy shortly before it goes supernova. Presumably it would have lasted longer if the universe wasn't shutting itself down.

Pretty sure the length of 22 minutes was because that's how long the probe would take to spot the Eye, if fired in the right direction. Then it sends its result back in time 22 minutes and the probe cannon fires again if it didn't find the Eye, or breaks the loop if it did.

Not sure how they would have figured out that number, exactly. They'd have to have some idea of how far away the Eye was while not knowing what direction it's in.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Sailor Dave posted:

That being said, I'm pretty sure 22 minutes was the most amount of time they could get from the energy of a supernova. Even the power of the sun wasn't enough to send anything further back than that. They correctly guessed 22 minutes because.. I guess they knew exactly how much energy they would get out of it? Not sure.

If I'm not misremembering, they first asked "Could we use this time travel effect to send something 22 minutes into the past?" and then later came up with the supernova as a source of energy to a achieve that.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

otoh their plan to find the Eye involved blowing up the sun, and then creating a time paradox to undo blowing up the sun. This was met with only a minority dissenting opinion. Seems pretty irresponsible to me, but then I'm no scientist.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

It's pretty weird to have trouble getting to the red node. In my several trips through there, I don't think I ever actually ran into any anglerfish aside from the guaranteed trio waiting just inside the red node.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Digirat posted:

also, what even is that floating pile of balls emitting the red light in there?

I was too scared to get close but I assumed it was the fish eggs that the anglerfish are born from.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Songbearer posted:

I've completed the game and even then the only way I got to the Forge was by wedging my ship into it and flying up with my jetpack til the gravity crystal did the rest of the work. I did backtrack to the towers but couldn't figure it out.

I guess you port there but my way was faster :colbert:

Personally I just mashed my whole ship into the ceiling until the gravity-floor grabbed it and flipped it over.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Completed this game earlier and loved it so much that I decided to do all the fun and possible-sounding achievements and I did those and then ended up doing most of the rest as well because I love it so much.

Now the only one I have left is Hotshot which is a horrible hell spawn that I despise. Have any goons completed it and could give any info? I just end up slingshotting past it.

I found it useful to not try to aim AT the station, because it's a very fast-moving target that's changing direction constantly. Instead, get yourself in an orbit around the sun, moving in the same direction as the station (it's okay if you're nowhere near it at first). Gradually tune your orbit to match the station's and before you know it it'll look like the station is practically stationary relative to you. Also note that you won't be landing your ship on the station - instead you just get close and then pop out of the hatch and fly into it with your jetpack.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

I am extremely bummed. The first time It happened I had only explored 2 planets and did not feel like I lost much. The second time really crushed me. This is legitimately one of the coolest video games of all time and for something to have a crash bug, let alone one that corrupts and deletes a save like this is 2003 is absolutely unacceptable. I almost feel like I should make a stink and try to get my money back.

It doesn't excuse it but this is actually one of the least-destructive games to have a save corruption bug in. I ran into a save-destroying bug when I was like 80% done with the game and it barely affected my progress because everything important that you're picking up is in your head. I had to set aside the OCD of completing the info map in the ship's computer but I was able to move right ahead and finish the game.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I think they could've kept it internally consistent if they'd just not had the cannon go off the first time you wake up. The "correct" moment for it would be when you walk past that statue, which is when the time loop starts. I'm guessing that it would've taken extra work to make the cannon exist in a non-exploded state so they figured that small inconsistency would be okay.

And to be even more technically correct, shouldn't each of your loops start with you standing in front of the statue, since that's where/when your memories are being sent back in time? That would of course be much worse than waking up beneath the stars so I'm glad they didn't do that.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Sardonik posted:

I tried doing this to get to the Black Hole Lab. I tried to do a fancy flip in the craft and land on the gravity plating near it. As one might imagine it did not work out well. :shepface:

That's actually exactly what I did to get in there. I never went through the "proper" way in.

You don't need to flip the ship over yourself - if you just fly it straight up into that ceiling, the gravity will take hold of it and flip it over for you.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Lamare posted:

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding but, if the universe is in a loop already without you knowing at the beginning of a new game, why is it that if you die then, you die technically forever? Would it not be the case that you would loop around back to the start of the 22 minutes, do something else possibly, but with the single difference that you know nothing about the death? What’s also weird is that, I suppose for gameplay reasons, the sun will not go supernova until you link to the statue...

Well depending on your beliefs about free will, one read could be that if you jump into a geyser and die in one loop, then you're going to do exactly that in every loop for all eternity. But from a more practical point of view, you shouldn't remember dying and waking up again if you didn't activate the statue, and making you start a new game from the main menu kind of sells that it's a blank slate you're starting with.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

:lol: my god, I'm dying

https://clips.twitch.tv/EnticingYummyGrouse4Head

Edit: Embed doesn't play for me, here's a link https://clips.twitch.tv/EnticingYummyGrouse4Head

Edit: Cool I fixed it

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

If you liked that feeling in Outer Wilds of "it's a metroidvania, but all the upgrades are to your brain instead of to your character" then The Witness has a ton more of that.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Even as a Witness-liker, I wouldn't recommend anyone try to 100% it. Fortunately there are "core" puzzles and then much more optional ones, and most of the absurd bullshit that I can recall was in the optional puzzles.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Finished the DLC and I feel supremely lucky that I somehow managed to never be caught in any of the stealth sections (except for when I blundered into the music lodge and was greeted by a half dozen owl folks, but that felt deserved). I guess I just happened to zig and zag in just the right ways, but it kept those parts at "delightfully spooky" instead of "frustrating bullshit".

(Ending) The ending of the DLC struck me as kind of anticlimactic at first, but then I went on to finish the base game again and it was nice that owl friend got a place at the final campfire to play his weird cello and become part of the new universe :shobon:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

beep by grandpa posted:

dogg I finally set myself up with a nice 5.1 surround sound system this year and Outer Wilds makes that sub roar.

I had a really cool moment i meant to post about my first time visiting the stranger. I spent the first few minutes (like prob everyone) exploring that first house with the first slides in it, trying to figure out how to get it to work, and when I was moving between the slide room and the projector room is when the dam burst for the first time. it happened to do it while I was looking directly at it from the little stairway. It was so loud, and so perfectly timed I thought it was a scripted event. the loudness drat near shook my entire house and I just stood there staring at it like a deer in headlights. I can't even remember what happened the rest of that cycle cause that moment was so overwhelming and cool.

I was in that exact same spot when that happened. It's amazing how well they got things like that to work out sometimes.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Bedshaped posted:

It's so much more of a linear puzzle game than OW. I can still remember each step I took to learn each individual new piece of information in OW. In EotE I completed the game with no orange *'s or ?'s and I can't remember how I learned how to reach half of the secret areas people are describing.

I kind of wonder if it's actually intended for the player to stumble onto some solutions on their own, with the explicit breadcrumbs being more of a fallback for things that aren't clicking. Kind of by dumb luck I discovered setting down your lantern and walking away from it to enter debug mode on my own, before I had even the slightest inkling that the "dream world" was a VR simulation and it was an incredible HOLY gently caress WHAT moment that I don't think I'll ever forget.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

(Full DLC spoilers) One thing that popped into my head: The ship log refers to the slide reels with the VR glitches as "error reports". I can imagine someone going "I set my lantern down and walked away from it and the graphics glitched out, plsfix", and also "I jumped off the raft during loading and clipped out of bounds, plsfix", but I'd like to see the guy who submitted the "I activated a bell alarm tower, but the dead guy in the next cubicle didn't wake up, plsfix" bug report.

That was one of the most entertaining clues to uncover...I recognized that I somehow needed to stop this alarm bell from waking me up, so I started thinking, can I get one of the VR chambers into a vacuum so the bell can't transmit sound? Can I deafen myself somehow? Sedate myself so even a loud noise won't wake me? ...oh, I guess being fuckin dead works, yeah

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Starting a new loop after flying into the sun or whatever feels like waking up from a dream, like that didn't really just happen. It's definitely different and much more unsettling to be walking around and solving puzzles after having killed yourself, with the knowledge that your physical body is a corpse blackening in a fire at that particular moment.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Superrodan posted:

It's kinda like the solution to the Shrouded Woodlands. "Wait for these guys to die screaming and walk past them" is pretty grim. At least they don't have you walking around the real world and extinguishing the creature's flames before entering. That would have technically worked, but it would have felt really, really dark as the solution to a puzzle.

The game accurately simulates the fact that such a solution would not even occur to our gentle Hearthian :colbert:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

I wonder what happens if I (spoiler maybe?) crush myself under an elevator

Well for one, you get an achievement for it

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Arrhythmia posted:

It said that it was an "impossible picture". There's nothing impossible about a picture of a Hearthian.

tbf, a picture of Gabbro actually doing his job does strain credulity

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I will say that the game coming right out and saying "this game is so scary that we included an option to make it less scary if you can't handle it" made the first time experience of getting into the DLC a lot more memorable. Those first couple of steps start off looking ominous as hell, and then right as I'm wondering if I'm about to run into some actual horror movie monsters, I suddenly drop into a river rafting adventure in a beautiful ring world. For a while I was wondering if the warning was actually total bullshit misdirection just to throw off your expectations for what you're going to see when you go through that airlock.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

But also, "goats"?!

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

blastron posted:

With some Googling, it looks like the Probe isn't programmed to collide with planets, but it sure can collide with other things...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CWGrN_IAE4

I wonder if there's some kind of check in place to prevent this from happening on your first loop, or if a very small percentage of players had a really confusing start to the game.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I had been to that area but hadn't gone to the easter egg part. What the hell is that?

For some reason, the lasers behind him in the portrait and the music that kicks in made me think that he's a highly respected DJ in their culture.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Actual Satan posted:

Thanks, just tried it. I was hoping something would be different when I woke up, but the seals were still sealed and no scary animal friend was there to greet me :(

That dude has been dead for thousands of years. What are you gonna do, poke his corpse with a stick

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Yeah most of the text is place names, which could very likely be proper nouns that don't have a meaningful translation, and your ship log gives them names on its own anyway. Most of the rest is stuff you can figure out from context, like "do not enter" signs.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

The probe's results would have to be sent back in time to just before the cannon fires, because the cannon needs that info to know where to aim next. So they would actually see those 9 million attempts and the successful result before ever firing the thing, and they could in fact just leave it dormant forever. (Of course they'd fire it for fun anyway.)

It's pretty funny how wildly overengineered the Ash Twin Project is. All that it's required to do is send back a set of coordinates and yes/no result. They went ahead and made it capable of sending a full 22 minute recording of a conscious being's memories. I assume the idea is that they had the memory mask technology lying around and it was no trouble to hook it up, but it's kind of like using an RTX 3090 when you need to render a single pixel in four colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

Well I think most of the stuff the Noami were doing were in service of finding the eye, and I think they determined just shooting a probe out into space to try to find the eye was basically futile, even if you could do it over and over, since the ungodly number of attempts could take longer then one's lifespan? I'm guessing maybe the negative time interval warp was discovered separately/independently of the efforts to discover the eye, and provided an eureka moment for how they could find the eye without waiting around forever. But because sending data back 22 minutes took so much power, the only option would be to harness a super nova, but that would also mean dying, so saving memories became important to be able to abort the super nova.

Yeah, the plan with the probe was always to let the time loop run through however many millions of iterations until the probe happened upon the eye, and then abort the loop before it ever started. But sending back a whole recorded memory is huge overkill to achieve that; all it really needed was the probe cannon sending data to itself each loop, saying "result negative at position n, try n+1 next" with some Nomai watching the readout for a positive result so they can call up the sun station and tell them to shut it down and then pop open the champagne bottles. In fact, deliberately including a conscious being in that time loop with their memories intact would be awful, because if the plan worked as intended then it would involve that person spending hundreds of years (from their perspective) doing nothing but watch the sun explode over and over again every 22 minutes.