Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play “Digimon: All-Star Rumble”

Digimon All-Star Rumble was an attempt to reach out to non-Japanese Digimon fans after America had shown interest in the Digimon game franchise. It was obviously made on a pretty small budget, and was probably intended to “test the waters” or something like that. I'm not sure how well it succeeded at that, I just bought it because I thought it looked fun.

So is it fun?

I think so! It may not be the best action game out there, but the developers definitely understood enough about both beat 'em ups and Party-Fighting games to create an enjoyable experience. It's even genuinely challenging toward the endgame, especially if you're younger. I'm pretty satisfied with my purchase.

About the LP

It's gonna be a pretty regular post-commentary deal, focused primarily on being informative and encouraging analysis. We're gonna be playing through the game as Shoutmon, because I like Shoutmon.

Videos

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
How fitting, Bog just got to the Fusion era and has reviewed Shoutmon, the Starmon Corp*, Cutemon & Dorulumon, and Ballistamon as of the start of this LP.

I know this game wasn't well received because it wasn't one of the RPGs and wasn't as good as Rumble Arena but it doesn't seem too bad at this point.

*He reviewed Starmon and ShootingStarmon when he reviewed the original Starmon but he split them into its own review for Fusion.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

How fitting, Bog just got to the Fusion era and has reviewed Shoutmon, the Starmon Corp*, Cutemon & Dorulumon, and Ballistamon as of the start of this LP.

I know this game wasn't well received because it wasn't one of the RPGs and wasn't as good as Rumble Arena but it doesn't seem too bad at this point.

*He reviewed Starmon and ShootingStarmon when he reviewed the original Starmon but he split them into its own review for Fusion.

Honestly Rumble Arena was a little underwhelming for me, it feels like they could've put a lot more effort into the game balance.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To be fair, it was likely a budget game as well seeing as it was released late into the PlayStation's lifecycle so it probably wasn't as high a priority for Bandai at the time.

Plus it was riding on the 02-Tamers transition when Digimon was still in the mainstream so the company might not have been as worried about it succeeding compared to All Star Rumble which was released after Digimon had lost most of its mainstream presence do to Data Squad and Fusion being hosed over by two different networks making it a much greater gamble.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

To be fair, it was likely a budget game as well seeing as it was released late into the PlayStation's lifecycle so it probably wasn't as high a priority for Bandai at the time.

Plus it was riding on the 02-Tamers transition when Digimon was still in the mainstream so the company might not have been as worried about it succeeding compared to All Star Rumble which was released after Digimon had lost most of its mainstream presence do to Data Squad and Fusion being hosed over by two different networks making it a much greater gamble.

It did seem like a budget title, yeah. I'll have to give it another chance sometime.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

To Goblimon or Goburimon, that is the question.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Aegisdramon is actually one of Gomamon's potential Digivolutions in this game, and only this game. But before this I think it only appeared in Japanese games, which is odd, because All-Star Rumble is targeted toward audiences that never received them.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I believe Plesiomon was Gomamon's Ultimate (Mega) stage in early games before it transitioned to Vikemon with Tri though both work as Plesiomon transition well from Gomamon while Vikemon transitions well from Zudomon as I've always headcanon Gomamon being able to become both and just Digivolves into what is most advantageous at the moment.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Gomamon's digivolutions confused me a great deal in general.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I almost misname Boltmon as Boltman in many situations, LP related or otherwise.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The end of a good thing. Thank you everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
As I mentioned in the comments for Bogleech's review of Shoutmon, Xros Wars is unique among the anime by the fact the partner Digimon have considerable amount of characterization beyond being partners compared to past series (e.g. Shoutmon's ambition to become king to protect the weak, Ballistamon and Dorulumon's backstories, etc).

In fact apart from the subplot of Nene and Ewan/Yuu Amano, most of the character drama in this series is between Digimon.