Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Deki posted:

You cant just throw that out there and not elaborate.

quote:

The sheriff's department also noted that 11 of the 13 buildings Heemeyer bulldozed were occupied until moments before their destruction. At the town library, for example, a children's program was in progress when the incident began.[2][5]

Trying to bulldoze children in a library kinda tarnishes the 'folk hero' image a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

b-minus1 posted:

Dude just wanted to sell mufflers

https://www.snopes.com/news/2017/06/09/killdozer-day-marvin-heemeyer/

quote:

The story of the batch plant also goes back to 1992, three years after Heemeyer had moved to the area. Heemeyer bought his two acres from the Resolution Trust Corp., the federal agency set up to handle the assets of failed savings and loan institutions. He bought the two acres for $42,000 but later agreed to sell it to the Docheff family, which wanted the property for a concrete batch plant, for $250,000. They agreed, but then he wanted $375,000 and at some later point wanted a deal worth approximately $1 million. All of this was well before the rezoning proposal hit town hall.

“I just think he set things up to the point where you would have to say no.'” said Susie Docheff in an interview with the Sky-Hi News. “He probably set you up to say no’ just so he could get mad at you.”

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

DrPossum posted:

marvin may have been a piece of poo poo, but I will not listen to the slander against the killdozer

Oh yes: man was a shithead for sure, but you can't argue he made a hell of a machine.

Does make me think: there have been a few cases of people going postal with armoured machines, including tanks. Are there plans in place to stop them the next time it happens? Do Ponch and Jon have javelin missiles in their motocycle panniers?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Blast of Confetti posted:

the city council and the private group he was feuding with bent over backwards to accommodate him. watch donoteats vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvl_7_Up7zU

Poop really plays a central role in this story.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

big nipples big life posted:

so basically the story is about a bunch of assholes and a cool bulldozer.

More like one giant rear end in a top hat, a cool bulldozer and an amazing amount of poop.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

MightyJoe36 posted:

Dude in San Diego stole a tank from the Army National Guard. Ended up being shot by a cop who crawled up on the turret and opened up the hatch.
I know the US military has the 'made by the lowest bidder' mindset, but I am guessing that most tanks can't be defeated by opening a door handle and shooting the driver with a pistol.

eighty-four merc posted:

one of my favorite details of the killdozer is he plumbed air hoses to nozzles facing the camera lens covers to remove debris that would have blocked them during the rampage.
That's the kind of thing I wouldn't consider, get blinded by road dust, drive into a solid wall and get shot while I climbed over it with a handful of kleenex.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Cool, that is very interesting, thanks.

Cessna posted:

Hatches are locked from the inside. There's a handle that swings in to close the hatch, and you lock it by swinging a little bar in place to keep it from being pulled open. If you've got a crowbar and a bit of time it would be possible to break it open.
I get your explanation, but I still find it odd that something that is designed to be a really, really effective safe can be opened by someone with a bit of bent metal and some determination.

Cessna posted:

(Don't count on doing this in combat; if you get near a tank it will call "scratch my back" over the radio and every other tank nearby will spray it with machinegun fire to keep the enemy away/off of the tank.)
This is my favourite fact of the week and I will never, ever forget it. Thanks.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Evilreaver posted:

After the battle you'll need the ability to get soldiers out if they are wounded or dead without having to blowtorch it open

Well, that's a bit of a downer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Burt Sexual posted:

Not a prob, thanks for all the good info you’re providing, and dumbing it down for us non tankologists.

BRB. Going to steal a tank now