Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
what the gently caress is Canada?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
lots of old white people very angry about "all the somalians" in town lately.

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Considering I'm struggling to find work here I wouldn't recommend it but I'm a sadbrains rear end in a top hat.

The market is nice just don't go toward King Edward or Rideau if you don't want to get shanked by a fentanyl addict.

They also changed the hours at the 24hr McDonald's because the police got called out there an average of 2.5 times a day. Someone also threw a live raccoon in there once.

So its the Detroit of Canada

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I don't live there but travel there for work from time to time. The best advice I can give you is that the Riverside Pub has awesome jerk chicken wings.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
Have you considered a non-Canadian location, op?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Move to Hull- Gatineau, its across the river but way more fun and I believe cheaper as well.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Word of warning OP: the wounds of '94 are far from healed

e: nvm i was thinking of rwanda

Icochet fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 6, 2019

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
I moved to Ottawa 4 years ago and love the city. Yeah it can't rival Montreal, Vancouver or Toronto, but it doesn't need to.

As a real answer, if you can spend $1200/m on rent you can live in any neighbourhood to various degrees. I'd recommend Centretown. It is less grungy than Byward market, while still having nice nightlife and a more mid-twenties crowd compared to the more 19-21 crowd you'll get in the market a lot of the time. It also has the canal which is nice both in summer and winter.

Don't live in one of the suburbs unless you enjoy nothing interesting around and $30 uber rides each way to go out with friends. (Learned this the hard way when I first moved here without knowing anything about the city). Stay out of Nepean, Barrhaven, Kanata. Vanier is a cheap option for outskirts of downtown-ish life.

I personally enjoy ottawa as I get to live the downtown life while having a parking spot and having a view of the canal. It's a beautiful city that is quite nice for biking and has the benefit of a few major sports teams, Gatineau park and all the museums.

When I was single I found it was great for dating too. Lots of cute girls in a city of 1m and lots of fun places to go. My biggest disappointment is no bands stop in Ottawa, so I either have to go to Montreal, if they even come there, or Toronto.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
The Wellington/Hintonburg area is also a really good choice. It's semi-central, quickly developing and lots of nice shops, boutiques and restaurants. There's a weed shop there too so you can buy weed that you can smoke it by using a lighter

R.L. Stine posted:

lots of old white people very angry about "all the somalians" in town lately.

They've been whining about that for years now. The refugees I've met have all been very kind and thankful. My friend had refugee neighbors and would bake them different kinds of breads and would entertain the kids. :3:

Ottawa has a reputation for having snotty people (SNOTTAWA, LMAO) but honestly everyone's pretty polite here and I'm not sure where that reputation comes from. I come from Sudbury (where joy goes to die) and the people there are far worse.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 6, 2019

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Alizee posted:

I moved to Ottawa 4 years ago and love the city. Yeah it can't rival Montreal, Vancouver or Toronto, but it doesn't need to.

As a real answer, if you can spend $1200/m on rent you can live in any neighbourhood to various degrees. I'd recommend Centretown. It is less grungy than Byward market, while still having nice nightlife and a more mid-twenties crowd compared to the more 19-21 crowd you'll get in the market a lot of the time. It also has the canal which is nice both in summer and winter.

Don't live in one of the suburbs unless you enjoy nothing interesting around and $30 uber rides each way to go out with friends. (Learned this the hard way when I first moved here without knowing anything about the city). Stay out of Nepean, Barrhaven, Kanata. Vanier is a cheap option for outskirts of downtown-ish life.

I personally enjoy ottawa as I get to live the downtown life while having a parking spot and having a view of the canal. It's a beautiful city that is quite nice for biking and has the benefit of a few major sports teams, Gatineau park and all the museums.

When I was single I found it was great for dating too. Lots of cute girls in a city of 1m and lots of fun places to go. My biggest disappointment is no bands stop in Ottawa, so I either have to go to Montreal, if they even come there, or Toronto.

Leading a recommendation with "it can't rival Toronto" is not a recommendation.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
*moving in to the iron mausoleum of Dis, sixth circle of hell* Well, it doesn't compare to Toronto, but

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Toronto sucks so much that I wish I could move back to Hamilton

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

toronto, is good

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Azerban posted:

toronto, is good

for a goblin

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Toronto is awful, that's why it's literally the fastest growing city on the continent.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

Arrhythmia posted:

Leading a recommendation with "it can't rival Toronto" is not a recommendation.

It's from the perspective of things to do and fun. From a daily living and quality of life perspective Ottawa is a fantastic city and still pretty fun too :)

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ottawa is really nice if you bike but the best trails are on the Quebec side. Don't rent from Smart Living Properties.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SleepySonata posted:

So its the Detroit of Canada

No that's Windsor.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

What part of Canada is super racist towards native peoples?

Don't move to that part, OP.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

All of it. There is currently a Genocide happening!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ghosthorse posted:

Ottawa is great if you're there less than a week and not in the winter

"not in the winter"?

can my pony be blue

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Winnipeg.

But also:

Blistex posted:

All of it. There is currently a Genocide happening!

OP you're moving out of Edmonton, you can only go up from there

MakaVillian fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 6, 2019

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
Come to the Quebec side. It's just across the river, rent is way cheaper and you can drink at 18 (instead of 19)!

If you are a dirty anglo, move to Aylmer and you will be fine. Anywhere else in Gatineau and I hope you speak French.

Also best strip club in Canada is Pigale in Gatineau

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Came in to say this.
Just move to Montreal if you're working from home. For 1200 you can have something nice depending on neighborhood, the city has a vibrant and very rich culture, a soul if you will, and you can have a social life unlike Ottawa where the bars close at 6pm and there's no soul.
That's probably not true about the bars, but it's all I've ever heard about Ottawa. That and it's got a parliament.

And the only place in Canada that's not racist towards natives is the Arctic Ocean.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Come for the shawarma and the olds complaining about the Somalis

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Unrelated to Ottawa. Some years back I spent about 6 months living in Canada, Saskatoon to be exact. I remember sometimes people speaking about French Canadians and the general sentiment seems to be that they are assholes. Anyways I was wondering do French Canadians not speak English in general or are they just assholes?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Depends on which part of Quebec you're in.
Also the prairies are full of shits who can barely speak English let alone french so they think anyone saying something they don't understand is making fun of them.

They're probably right.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I spent a week in montreal and as long I slurred je ne parle pas français in my heavy southern accent they more than willing to speak english with the mentally retarded boy from america

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
1200 a month rent? Heh I wish we had that, here in Toronto.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Colonel Cancer posted:

1200 a month rent? Heh I wish we had that, here in Toronto.

it's worth it imho

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

In Quebec we do learn english in school from an early age and anyway we're surrounded with english language culture. It's hard to avoid.
The more excited parts of the separatists will insist on rejecting english completely, but more often than not these are the Quebec equivalent of the american redneck with confederate flags on his coal shooting pickup, with bumper stickers against the drat immigrants. They're not that numerous but they're very vocal.

Most people you'd come across would be nice to you even if you don't speak french, and if you're in the city it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

But stay away from Quebec City.
Do not engage with these people.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Anglo and Franco media love amplifying each other's worst traits to try to rouse the rabble. Most of us get on just fine

Bronze Fonz posted:

But stay away from Quebec City.
Do not engage with these people.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
Yeah I would say some only speak French for reasons (either they suck at learning English or they are stupidly stubborn), some are rear end in a top hat (like anywhere in the world) and some are both.

The Québécois culture is pretty different than the rest of Canada. So much that a lot of dumb Quebecois think it should be it's own country. Because of that, there's a bit of a smug/dumb superiority complex between both language speakers.

Being Québécois myself, I still feel that they try to protect the French language too much and don't care about English even if it's more international. As soon as you start to travel it's pretty obvious that English is pretty mandatory if you want to communicate.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I have a problem with this notion. Calling Quebecois people like that!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Oh. Heh, bonjour mon ami...

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

I have a problem with this notion. Calling Quebecois people like that!

What the capital Q? for some reason my brain put it like that. No deeper meaning from me

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

In Canada, does "Hydro" mean water, or something like it? When I lived in Buffalo, I remember listening to a Canadian radio station and hearing an ad for "hydro," but I didn't get the impression they meant hydroelectric power.

Moving to Ottawa might depend on whether there is hydro, OP.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I think hydro is a villain from the spiderman cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

In Canada, does "Hydro" mean water, or something like it? When I lived in Buffalo, I remember listening to a Canadian radio station and hearing an ad for "hydro," but I didn't get the impression they meant hydroelectric power.

Moving to Ottawa might depend on whether there is hydro, OP.

Yeah it's the electricity company.