Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
It's better than Edmonton, but like every Canadian city except Montreal, it's terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Colonel Cancer posted:

Just don't come to Toronto. Rent sucks, public transit sucks, etc.

Toronto is the worst city on planet earth.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
A hope a meteor lands on it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Alizee posted:

I moved to Ottawa 4 years ago and love the city. Yeah it can't rival Montreal, Vancouver or Toronto, but it doesn't need to.

As a real answer, if you can spend $1200/m on rent you can live in any neighbourhood to various degrees. I'd recommend Centretown. It is less grungy than Byward market, while still having nice nightlife and a more mid-twenties crowd compared to the more 19-21 crowd you'll get in the market a lot of the time. It also has the canal which is nice both in summer and winter.

Don't live in one of the suburbs unless you enjoy nothing interesting around and $30 uber rides each way to go out with friends. (Learned this the hard way when I first moved here without knowing anything about the city). Stay out of Nepean, Barrhaven, Kanata. Vanier is a cheap option for outskirts of downtown-ish life.

I personally enjoy ottawa as I get to live the downtown life while having a parking spot and having a view of the canal. It's a beautiful city that is quite nice for biking and has the benefit of a few major sports teams, Gatineau park and all the museums.

When I was single I found it was great for dating too. Lots of cute girls in a city of 1m and lots of fun places to go. My biggest disappointment is no bands stop in Ottawa, so I either have to go to Montreal, if they even come there, or Toronto.

Leading a recommendation with "it can't rival Toronto" is not a recommendation.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
*moving in to the iron mausoleum of Dis, sixth circle of hell* Well, it doesn't compare to Toronto, but

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Azerban posted:

toronto, is good

for a goblin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

dr.acula posted:

its p bad but not as bad as other places

it's no toronto, that's for sure