Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Almost Blue posted:

I'm looking for movies that are similar to River's Edge and Out of the Blue. Low-key, kind of anti-coming-of-age movies in small towns that are just sort of depressing. Fire Walk With Me might be another example, but it's more operatic than those two.

All About Lily Chou-Chou
Kes
Welcome to the Dollhouse
Rosetta
Mouchette
Il Posto

and I wanna say The Chocolate War, but I haven't seen it in a long, long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

oh, thought of another one I haven't seen in ages but should fit: Wish You Were Here (1987)

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I’m looking for some good seafaring movies. I rewatched Master and Commander last night and it’s still great. Submarine movies are cool too, but mainly looking for stuff in the vein of Master and Commander.

While not in the same vein as M&C, Deep Water is an amazing documentary.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

magic cactus posted:

Howdy!

I'm looking for more mellow, hypnotic films. Examples of films that I've seen that fit that profile: Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, Last Year at Marienbad, Kurosawa's Dreams, Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring, Has's The Saragossa Manuscript, and Felini's 8&1/2. I guess I'll elaborate by stating what I'm not looking for: I love David Lynch, Nicholas Windig Refin, and Panos Cosmatos for their hypnotic cinematography, but I'd like something like that where the content isn't so dark. I guess in a nutshell: recommend me a movie that feels like a dream, but not a nightmare.

Thank you very much!

So many come to mind. In addition to El Grap's recommendations, I would add:

the films of Tsai Ming-liang
the films of Bela Tarr (a bit dark, maybe, but try Werckmeister Harmonies)
the films of Andrei Tarkovsky
The Long Day Closes
Aguirre, the Wrath of God
The Conformist
The Tree of Life
(among other Malick)
Innocence (2004, Lucile Hadzihalilovic)
The Scent of Green Papaya and The Vertical Ray of the Sun
Waiting for Happiness

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Slaapaav posted:

i watched the island of lost souls and the testament of dr mabuse today. recommend me movies from the 30s to watch. i have the petrified forest lined up for now (mostly because of leslie howard being amazing in 49th paralel).

Limite
Holiday
Gold Diggers of 1933
The Lady Vanishes
One Hour With You
One Way Passage
Pepe le Moko
Humanity and Paper Balloons
Leibelei
The Mascot
Dames
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Carnival in Flanders
La Chienne
Love Me Tonight

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Clipperton posted:

What Fred Astaire movies should I be watching? Only ones with dancing please. I've already seen TOP HAT and EASTER PARADE.

Swing Time and The Barkleys of Broadway.

My favorite is Yolanda and the Thief but it only has a few dance scenes.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

A few more:

Demons
Sword of the Beast
Chushingura

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

For clarity, I meant this Demons

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

and Body Heat

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

feedmyleg posted:

What's a fun action/crime movie from the 60s or early 70s that doesn't star a secret agent, criminal, cop, or reporter? I'm thinking an everyman gets caught up in some spy-style hijinks—maybe halfway between James Bond and North by Northwest, but open for interpretation.

How to Steal a Million

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Mother Night
The Lives of Others
The Damned
The Counterfeiters
Mephisto
Invincible

Sorry, most of these are outside the era you requested, but yeah... it seems like Cabaret is the obvious answer here.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Days of Heaven
Jean de Florette
Nowhere in Africa
The Tree of Wooden Clogs
Earth (Zemlya)

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Rock & Rule is the movie you're looking for.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

i think of demons posted:

is there anything similar to Švankmajer's Faust out there? the stop-motion animation/puppetry isn't primarily what i'm thinking of, even though it's great. i mostly like the pastiche of theatre, opera, and literature combined with the total indifference to realism and the sense of doom. Simon of the Desert is probably the closest thing to it that I've seen, which is another favorite

Try La Casa Lobo.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Liquid Sky

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Cameraman: The Life and Work of Jack Cardiff
Finding Vivian Maier
Cameraperson

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm looking for good and/or entertaining movies from 1986, that I haven't seen.

https://letterboxd.com/frankboothfan/films/year/1986/by/name/

I've seen 62, not to say you've gotta peruse that page there, but if not I've seen I think the usual big ones and cult classics etc. But I'm sure I'm missing cool stuff. I'm looking to watch at least 24 more, 86 in 86 has a nice ring to it. A couple of them are anime video series but hey close enough. I've at least gotta hit 70.

There are some other years I'm looking to bone up on, but figure I'll start there. Plus I just like 86, it's got Blue Velvet, Transformers: The Movie, what couldn't it do. Also, if you were gonna recommend a cool movie and it turns out it wasn't from 86, feel free to post that anyway. I know this is broad, but I got quotas to fill here.

My faves that you haven't seen:

Partisans of Vilna
Sherman's March
Routine Pleasures
Mauvais Sang
Home of the Brave (only if you like Laurie Anderson)
Peggy Sue Got Married
Matador

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

SkunkDuster posted:

I watched The Florida Project yesterday and really enjoyed it. I also liked KIDS, Gummo, and Requiem For A Dream. Another good one is the 1981 made for tv adaptation of The Gin Game with Hume Cronyn and Jessica Tandy. The common theme here is "slice of life" type movies that don't follow typical movie tropes and don't necessarily have happy endings or any resolution - somewhere between a documentary and movie. Is there a genre for this type of film? Any recommendations on similar films?

almost everything by John Cassavetes

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

piratepilates posted:

Brute Force, and A Man Escaped.

Seconding A Man Escaped

Also: Le Trou, Chicken Run

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

feedmyleg posted:

Doublepost, but catching Computer Chess tonight and I'm pumped.

Another request: I caught The Palindromists the other night, just a super low-key nerdy documentary about some dorky weirdos having fun doing a world-championship palindrome contest. Nothing special, but it was super charming and hit my brain just right since I'm in a chill mode. But I realized it was a prime example of a category of documentaries I love—just low-stakes fun documentaries focused on a weird/interesting subculture that don't get all that emotional. I'd put stuff like King of Kong, Pumping Iron, and So Wrong They're Right in there, too.

So, what are some other fun, charming documentaries about weirdo subcultures?

Routine Pleasures
Cinemania
Wordplay

Not quite the same thing, but The Barkley Marathons might scratch that itch for you too

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Sorry to Bother You

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I just saw Lost Highway and did not really enjoy it. I was hoping for a creepy, atmospheric, surreal take on the classic road movie. What movies actually are that?

Landscape in the Mist
The Passenger

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

pidan posted:

I'd like to watch a good movie about Don Quixote. Can be a real movie, or a recording of a play or opera. Modernization or rewrites are ok as long as it sticks reasonably close to the original in terms of plot and message. Ideally on streaming or YouTube somewhere. Can anyone recommend one?

The Russian Don Kikhot is quite good. My review.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Fantastic Planet
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

feedmyleg posted:

Fantastic Planet has astronauts from Earth, I believe.

You're thinking of Forbidden Planet.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Cocorico Monsieur Poulet
Seeking Asylum
Jana Aranya
Company Limited
Pratidwandi
Sonar Kella
Claudine
Ballad of Orin
Welfare
Pakeezah
The Spider's Strategem

Slightly better known:
Un homme qui dort
We All Loved Each Other So Much
The Black Stallion
Images
La Grande bouffe
Lucifer Rising
Out 1, noli me tangere
Edvard Munch
A New Leaf
Camera Buff
Donkey Skin

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

therattle posted:

There’s a decent Daniel Johnson one too.

Yep, The Devil and Daniel Johnston

Also, Let's Get Lost (about Chet Baker) is exactly what you want

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain, both by Kon Ichikawa

Ingmar Bergman's Shame is not about soldiers, but I think it might fit what you're looking for.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Neighbors
Edward Scissorhands
Mon oncle

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Tea Bone posted:

I'm looking for more movies like The Man From Earth, which are essentially fantasy/sci-fi/horror bottle movies where we don't actually "see" anything fantastical, we just have to take someone's word for it.

Stalker

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Two great docs, not entirely what you're looking for but worth a look: Allan King's Dying at Grace and Frederick Wiseman's Near Death.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 24, 2022

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Street of Chance - meh
So Dark the Night - meh
Night Has a Thousand Eyes - good
Sorry, Wrong Number - good
Southside 1-1000 - good
The Sniper - very good
The Face Behind the Mask - good
Scandal Sheet - very good
Detective Story - fair
711 Ocean Drive - good

A lot I've never heard of.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Alone Across the Pacific
Never Cry Wolf
The Wall (2012)
Naked Island
Johnny Got His Gun

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

magic cactus posted:

Anyone have an recommendations for documentaries similar to Into Great Silence? Watched that one recently and I really like its minimal dialogue and focus on letting the sounds and pace of life at the monastery envelop the viewer, without really going into "talking head" type stuff. Subject matter can be secular or religious. Thanks for any recommendations!

Faya Dayi
Baraka/Samsara

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie.

I was gonna chime in with The Exterminating Angel, although it's slightly more than 10 people.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

also First Cow

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

glasnost toyboy posted:

Uh, I've never spoken to anyone that thinks that the Kill Bills are his best. I'd remember because that sure is an opinion.

I think the Kill Bills are his best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Coaaab posted:

Devils on the Doorstep

this this this

Also Kuroi Ame (Black Rain). And while The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On is a documentary, it's pretty incredible.