Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I asked this in the previous thread and got great results, so I figure I'd give it another go around: what are some films soaked in the joy and heartache and passion and self-destruction of youth? Last time I got Badlands, Streets of Fire, and Punishment Room out of it all of which felt perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nice Guys, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Free Fire, Pain & Gain

Crank 1 and 2 might fit the vibe you're going for, same with Hot Fuzz, In Bruges, The Guard, and Baby Driver. Folks around here like Smokin' Aces and Seven Psychopaths even though I didn't really care for them.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh drat, that's definitely going on the list! So many great suggestions here.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I’m looking for some good seafaring movies. I rewatched Master and Commander last night and it’s still great. Submarine movies are cool too, but mainly looking for stuff in the vein of Master and Commander.

Horatio Hornblower has a number of very worthwhile adaptations that should do the trick.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Kanine posted:

i know this is a really hard question, but what's your favorite zombie movie of all time

Everyone's favorite is Return of the Living Dead. You want their second favorite.

Which is Night of the Living Dead. Watch them in order of release, though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The problem with wanting more things like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is that it's the best one—everything else will pale in comparison to that perfectly-wound script. For more modern stuff I'd say Fincher's films have similar qualities, Social Network especially. Frost/Nixon has a lot of that same DNA. Good Night and Good Luck. There Will Be Blood. The Constant Gardener. You can probably pull a list of "political thrillers" that will send you down a good path. But TTSS to me feels very much like a 60s/early 70s drama, so tapping into that more might scratch the itch for you—The Conversation, All the President's Men, Three Days of the Condor. And it wouldn't hurt to catch Smiley's People and really any other le Carre adaptation, even if none of them can match the brilliance of TTSS.

DoctorGonzo posted:

good cyberpunk movies?

Depends on your definition of good, and on your flexibility on what constitutes Cyberpunk. Blade Runner/2049, Brazil, Akira, and the first Matrix are really the only excellent full-on "classic" Cyberpunk films as the genre tends to be defined in pop culture.

If you're willing to get weird with it, though, you can throw in all kinds of movies and TV shows—Metropolis, La Jetee/12 Monkeys, Alphaville, THX-1138, World on a Wire, Eraserhead, Stalker, the Max Headroom TV series, the Robocop TV series and movies, Her, the first season of Westworld, The Animatrix, Gattaca, Dark City, Minority Report, Inception, Total Recall, Altered Carbon, Batman Beyond, Children of Men, Total Recall 2070 (okay, guilty pleasure), a whole bunch of anime, and the entirety of reality in 2019. The lines blur between dystopian sci-fi and cyberpunk often.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 23, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DoctorGonzo posted:

dark city seems neat, thank you

Just make sure you watch the Director's Cut.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sleazy 60s or 70s vampire movie? The more gothic and and more exploitative and more European the better. Bonus points for melancholy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Very horny, Peter Cushing, on Amazon, looks great. Was also eyeing Fascination but Twins seems more like that I was thinking of. Thanks!

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 5, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What's a fun action/crime movie from the 60s or early 70s that doesn't star a secret agent, criminal, cop, or reporter? I'm thinking an everyman gets caught up in some spy-style hijinks—maybe halfway between James Bond and North by Northwest, but open for interpretation.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 27, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ooh, yeah both of those look pretty ideal. I was looking at The Ipcress File and Gambit, but Pulp hadn't come across my radar and it seems closer to what I was looking for and sleazy writers are way way up my alley. How to Steal a Million looks like it has just the right tone and it's been on my list forever. Was also looking at Murderers' Row and That Man from Rio but they're both explicitly spy flicks. Thanks, folks!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
1960s flicks that are fun, flirty, and a bit sexy? Any genre, ideally European but not necessarily.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Weirdly enough, the first thing to come to mind was The Tree of Life.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Cool and/or fascinating ancient history (pre-Christ at latest) or pre-history movies? Very open.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, especially the Katayanagi Twins. Though most of the victories are based on Scott growing as a person, but it's definitely a mix.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The power of Love, Actually is its ability to make my eyes hurt from rolling so much.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Not a mystery, but Kind Hearts and Coronets has a lot of shared DNA with those films. And you get to see Alec Guinness be really fun and wacky.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I see a lot of criticism of Brokeback for its schmaltz and its "bury your gays" trope, both of which have merit. But I've also seen some backlash here for being overrated, which I don't agree with. It's a really well-made and acted melodrama that deserves much of its praise.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What's a really trippy mystery film? An investigation that just gets weird. Ideally supernatural, but open to straighter stuff.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Death Bed: The Bed That Eats

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Popcorn

Class of Nuke 'Em High

The Visitor

Tampopo

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I want something with fog, sweaters, seaside, and maybe a fishing village. Ideally something spooky, but not necessarily. Perhaps a melancholic atmosphere, but not necessarily.

Already seen but would fit the bill: The Lighthouse, The Fog, The Wicker Man, and a bunch of BBC folk horror.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Roumba posted:

Also, feedmyleg, what did you end up going with for your mystery film that gets ~weird~?

Angel Heart was dope as hell 😎

Been on my list for ages. But I'll definitely return to those suggestions when I swing back to that mood. And I'm mulling over these foggy films but Messiah has been on my list for ages so that seems right.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Y'all are too good at this, I've had to make a Letterboxd list. Good thing I'm in the mood for depressing foggy seaside movies all the time these days.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Telebite posted:

Did anyone see the new Bill & Ted? Any good? Overly nostalgic?

Thread.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Princess Mononoke

e: just watched Flash Gordon and that had some real big bois

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Conjuring flicks are probably what you're after if you haven't seen em. The Old Dark House is great if you want to check out one of the OGs.

But also let me recommend Ghost of Dragstrip Hollow, The Ghost & Mr.Chicken, Topper, The Ghost Breakers, and Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein, which are almost certainly not what you're after but are a campy good time.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Green Slime, Fantastic Voyage, Planeta Bur, The Angry Red Planet, and This Island Earth are what you're after. There's a ton of 50s b-grade material like War of the Satellites and its ilk that fit the bill, but it tends to be very stuffy.

If you really want something fun I'd recommend looking at some of the sci-fi TV of the 60s like Fireball XL5, Space: 1999, Lost in Space. Fireball in particular is a hidden gem, and Shout Factory TV has it streaming for free in HD.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 11, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, for Bur I had to turn to less than legitimate means for an acceptable copy, and even then I think I may have had to re-sync the audio in VLC. Still, worth it just due to how visually fantastic it is.

Or you can always watch one of the Corman hack jobs :v:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Peppy, preppy 80s? Just that height of joyful bubblegum consumerism and big hair and jazzercize and malls and pink/teal puffy idealism?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
THX-1138.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Telebite posted:

I kinda like the re-release better. :\

I'm sorry to inform you but you have bad opinion

e: though in order to watch the original at this point you have to track down a fan restoration. The original hasn't been available on a home format since Laserdisc so it's mostly a moot point.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 13, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

massive spider posted:

I’m looking for a “self destructive youth” movie. Think Trainspotting or similar.

Badlands. Badlands Badlands Badlands.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Definitely Sunshine. Maybe Lifeforce, Galaxy of Terror, Life, and Pitch Black.

Comedy option: The Green Slime

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just saw it recently and though there's plenty to enjoy there, it just felt like it was awkwardly half goofy 50s b-movie and half gritty 70s thriller.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Blade Runner 2049

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What are some fun movies that involve someone wrestling with a big decision of going one way or another throughout the story? Non-romantically. Where a character is just totally torn between two separate directions.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So Wrong They're Right is cute. Would Resurrect Dead count?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
King of Kong is probably too obvious but fits in with these nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

fenix down posted:

(basically) positive vibes ... Brazil

:confused: