Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Moral Orel's final season and like half of the second season is amazing. The first one and a half are just kinda meh to me personally.

Adult Swim used to have basically an annotated version of the final episode where every now and then you could watch a video of Dino Stamatopoulos commenting on the current scene and I'm mad it's gone now or at least buried on its site since AS has undergone like 10 website revisions since then to make it increasingly worse looking.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man, I didn't even know there were talks of more Boondocks.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

I'm of mixed feelings about it coming back, cause while Season 4 was a disaster without him, Season 3 wasn't all that much better

Pretty much my feelings exactly. Hopefully it'll have some of that earlier feel.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Honestly more than anything I just didn't like when the animation changed. Which is ironic because iirc that switch to more anime-inspired is what Mcgruder wanted...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

Actually my thoughts about that are because of how often Family Guy has made very blatant and crude attacks on not only Disney the company, but also Walt Disney himself, and Disney is very protective of his image normally

So I figure they'll either sell it or bury it as much as possible

No way. Regardless of its very debatable quality, Family Guy is incredibly popular, so I imagine somehow they'll grin and bear the jokes while they take the tons of money FG is worth and dump it in the McDuck-ian money bin.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

John Witherspoon died at age 77 today. :(

Weren't they going to do a new Boondocks?

That's a shame. And yeah, new Boondocks was announced supposedly going straight to HBOMax, iirc. Who knows how far into production they were though. RIP.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

readingatwork posted:

God damnit I'm going to have to get an HBO Max account. It's looking like they're pandering to the "manchildren who still like cartoons" demographic pretty hard.

So is Disney+. Manchildren are a lucrative demographic.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I just got around to watching it and my only problem is that it seems to be... I can't describe it, trying too hard? A lot of the jokes are actually decent, but they almost never take a beat to let a joke hit. Although, a lot of the humor seems to be edgy for the sake of edgy? Like, everything the Angel character says is bad. Like, just awful. I don't know, it's a pilot, I suppose if they ever do more they could iron out the kinks.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, it's set in Hell. The whole thing is everyone wallows in their worst behaviours because there's no incentive to do anything else. Which I have a feeling is something that people on the internet can relate to.

I get that, but if the show's supposed to actually be even slightly actually committed to this whole rehab concept, they need to show that there's a chance it'll work.

Don't get me wrong, awful people being awful can be entertaining. For example, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is one of my favorite shows, The Gang ruins decent peoples' lives, but the important distinction there is that The Gang are the protagonists, the good people are punchlines and then go away the next episode. If Charlie's gonna be the main protagonist of Hazbin, the show needs to show that it isn't ultimately gonna be about a Disney princess getting her dreams stomped on. But again, it's the pilot, if more gets made, I feel like the show can work out any kinks, it definitely shows enough promise.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I guess I didn't really realize it until I heard Richard Horvitz (and then went back to check the rest of the cast and Hazbin's) but man, they've got like, actual pro VAs! I figured that the whole of both shows would be filled with a bunch of semi-professionals, the kind that are all over the internet in like, every youtube original or newgrounds cartoon*; but they've got people who've actually like, been in actual professional productions. Whatever kickstarter/patreon funded all this must've made some crazy bank.

*that's not to knock that crowd, everybody starts somewhere and there are legitimately talented people out there.

DoubleCakes posted:

I'm not surprised that Helluva Boss is going over better on people who didn't like Hazbin Hotel. It's more straightforward so it moves at a click and has more time for comedic character interactions.

Hazbin definitely feels more like a pilot that's setting up for a long show with character arcs, while Helluva feels like a collection of shorts where no one will learn anything and will go right back to doing the same poo poo every episode, Looney Tunes-esque.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 26, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SolarFire2 posted:

I probably would have at least been middle of the road towards Mr. Pickles if it didn't have that thing where everyone is YELLING THEIR LINES.

How else would you know where the jokes are?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DoubleCakes posted:

Thanks, I hate it

:emptyquote:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Is this where I talk about the Harley Quinn show because god drat that first episode was funny as hell

You could talk about it in BSS' Comic Animation thread although I wouldn't recommend it because it seems pretty much everyone over there dislikes it so you might find it a hard sell.

Rand Brittain posted:

I watched the first four episodes of Epithet Erased, an animation on VRV from the guy who does the So This Is Basically... videos. I thought it was pretty good! Some of the "we have no budget" animation tricks were a little weird, but I might just not be used to them, and the characters are all well-designed and really likeable.

I thought it was cute (I've only watched the two on youtube) but I was under the impression that it would actually be ...animated. Like the intro. It's still kind of entertaining but I feel like for the story it's telling (you know, one with action scenes) it should be really be more animated than it is. Regardless of anything, the end theme is catchy as poo poo.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 6, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Or, someone on the writing staff intentionally made them their own religion so as not to offend other religions or appropriate, seeing nothing of it since the character was already greedy and also being that part of representation means not just token representation but for all kinds of characters.

You should maybe read the "Hi, I’m a Jew and one of the showrunners of the show, Also the writer of this episode @janembecker is Jewish" tweet.

Also lol "I haven't seen the show but..." :rolleyes:

That does not mean they get an automatic free pass for unintentionally offending someone.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Gemusetto Machu Picchu apparently IS getting a second season this fall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHXEXBsvTKg

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Aw yeah, that scratches that Regular Show itch.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

Why would they do this if it's just being streamed anyway?

Well, at the time of production it was supposed to air on TBS because TBS wanted to make an animation block (I guess going for their own Adult Swim?). Then their plans for an animated block kind of fell apart. The four shows they commissioned were Close Enough, Final Space (moved to Adult Swim), Tarantula (never seen it, apparently got bad ratings and got canceled), and a show called The Cops which starred Louis CK and got scrapped mid production after all that Louis poo poo went public.

So no animation block meant no home for CE (don't know why they didn't just move it to AS like Final Space, it would fit perfectly) and it got sent to limbo. If another season gets greenlit I presume it will be like, actual 30 minute episodes.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 11, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

I got the impression Hazbin desperately wanted to be this generations' Nightmare Before Christmas merchandise: the show.

Nothing seemed organically designed, it was just a cluttered mashup of themes and visuals you'd see at Hot Topic.

Judging from the amount of merch they cranked out for one pilot, I'd say you're not exactly wrong.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Geez checked out the posts and it looks like he tried method acting.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh, canceled canceled? I thought it was a "next season is the last" thing.

I guess now I can finally watch the whole series. Kinda fell out after season 3.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah HBO Max has been picking up a lot of Cartoon Network shows, only makes sense they'd branch further into Adult Swim.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Or extremely similar to this Gumball joke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVlOwGRJGUI

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Turpitude II posted:

i'm not surprised, didn't an animaniacs/tiny toons voice actress get stalked by an internet weirdo like that?

iirc if the legends are true, that sketch was made as a direct response to Tress Macneille (Dot Warner, Babs Bunny, like a thousand other voices) getting harassed by internet creeps

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

JFK is the real heart of Clone High and if they can get him right then everything else falls into place.

"Nothing bad ever happens to the Kennedys!" is still the first thing that pops into my head whenever a piece of media mentions JFK in any way

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Koirhor posted:

Obsidian was pretty good, do we still have an adventure time thread?

It's in archives unless someone started a new one

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

I dunno, I personally don’t know anyone who “jumped ship” from AT to SU.

Well we don't know each other very well, internet stranger, but I am a person who jumped ship! Mainly because I mostly liked AT when it was more silly gags and later the show tended to get into its own lore and (to me) disappeared up its own rear end* and SU was a new show that had a lot of funny jokes. Ironically the same thing happened with SU (slowly abandoning humor for lore) but for some reason it didn't bother me as much then. I don't know, maybe I liked the characters more on that show or liked the lore and so decided to stick it out. (Although I did really dislike SU Future and I seem to be in the extreme minority there)

*for me the greatest example of this is taking a gag in the early seasons, when Marceline's dad calls one of the Ice King's penguins the most evil being in the universe, and then retconning it so no, it actually is the most evil being because there's a loving elder God stuck in his noggin. Like, jokes can just be jokes guys, everything doesn't have to have a meaning or secret past or something.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

As someone with only a cursory awareness of either show, loving what?

There's an episode (don't know the name offhand) where Finn's then-girlfriend Flame Princess fights the Ice King and kicks his butt and Finn is very into it. He then writes mean letters to both of them posing as the other in an attempt to set up more fights and engineer a repeat of the same moment, then when they find that Finn wrote the letters, the fact that he was capable of saying a bunch of mean things about her causes Flame Princess to break up with him.

This does not cause a literal boner, but as Ghost Leviathan notes, the subtext is very not hidden that the fights are getting him off.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mraagvpeine posted:

I thought it was because Finn was seeing some prophet owl in his dreams and Jake knew it was important that Finn find out what the owl was telling him and so he encouraged Finn to write those letters.

ha, I forgot that happens. You're right that the letter part comes after Jake encourages it but that comes later, his initial impetus for trying to recreate the fight is just horniness.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Watching the Animaniacs reboot. It's fine, but the rap segment was just baffling. Yakko talking about how rap can be more than just "women and aggression"... who wrote this, and for whom?

Sounds like white guys and white guys

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

I'd also like it if I click on something it brings up info about it (premise, episodes, etc) rather than it just starts playing.

This is my complaint about literally every streaming service, ugh.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

The episode of Close Enough with Keith David is pretty great.

this is a given with Keith David.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I would argue just the opposite, but to each their own I guess. I do like that in the last season opener they directly lampshade how a lot of people found Gary grating.

vvv: well they acknowledge it and then (imo) make him a lot less so in S2. So it makes the joke work instead of being a "ha ha we'll never change" thing.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 21, 2021

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I feel like that might be better off because I think I can count the number of canceled shows that have gotten brought back and actually been good on my fingers

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JazzFlight posted:

Am I the only one who’s really put off by Helluva Boss/Hazbin Hotel or whatever? The art style just gives me the willies, like it’s drawn purely as a fetish. Almost hard to look at. It also seems like it’s a bit too tryhard with the adult content.

Could just be my own subjective tastes, dunno.

Nah, I'm with you. I do respect them for doing all this solely on Youtube without huge studio bucks but it feels frequently like they're just being excessive just to show they can. And just like Jurassic Park, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

But like, I don't begrudge anyone for liking it, some folks just like dirtier jokes and it's undeniably well animated. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I feel like it's weird that no one here has mentioned that Venture Bros is getting a movie, as are... Metalocalypse and Aqua Teen Hunger Force?

I figured they'd just do some VB comics to stop the big public outcry after its cancellation and as far as the other two... well I did not see that coming.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I only hope that you also will Boston to shut down over a lite-brite board again.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ccs posted:

I’m really glad Venture Bros is getting a movie to conclude things. I absolutely love the first 3 seasons of that show but for one reason or another wasn’t able to connect with the later ones (it’s like the voices got more annoying or something? Or maybe i just lost track because of the huge gaps between seasons). But it’s long term fans who stayed with it through an enormously long production deserve to see it have a fitting end.

Heck I can remember going to a comicon panel for it almost 10 years ago and they were showing animatic clips of season 5. The actual season dropped 2 years later and the next 3 years after that...

I definitely just lost track after oh so many gaps. I figure before the movie comes out I'll go marathon the series and see all the stuff I never saw originally

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That's too bad. I saw the trailer and thought "this looks so stupid (in a good way)".

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think it's just alright. Which is kind of disappointing but also kind of inevitable? Given enough time, all shows go downhill. Right now I still get at least one good chuckle out of it per episode and don't find it actively bad and that's all I ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Me! I'm happily watching it in fact! I really liked the most recent season.

:agreed:

although I hope they either end the show or recast Mallory after the end of the season. She's way too integral to the whole group dynamic at this point imo.