Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

PawParole posted:

I have nothing but venom for no-avs. ( heidegger is a good phil, even if you don’t like his politics)
yeah that was definitely hyperbole, and was directed primarily towards Heidegger's personal conduct and lack of self-criticism postwar. regarding his work, i was specifically thinking of certain elements of his existentialism that are compatible with fascism, which is obviously a tiny part of his contribution, and his support of the Nazification of German universities in 1933, which he explicitly contextualized using his own philosophical framework. he is obviously immensely important and compelling in many ways

been holding off on an av until the whole Lowtax owning the forums thing is squared away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

so are there any good podcast episodes out this week

ballin out super unlocked their NPR parody Zerial and I couldn't have been more impressed. It's good

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

i think of demons posted:

yeah that was definitely hyperbole, and was directed primarily towards Heidegger's personal conduct and lack of self-criticism postwar. regarding his work, i was specifically thinking of certain elements of his existentialism that are compatible with fascism, which is obviously a tiny part of his contribution, and his support of the Nazification of German universities in 1933, which he explicitly contextualized using his own philosophical framework. he is obviously immensely important and compelling in many ways

been holding off on an av until the whole Lowtax owning the forums thing is squared away
what kind of av do you want

i think some of these buttons do av stuff

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

sort of has to be heidegger now doesn't it

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
from final fantasy seven

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

this goat from the cover of a funkadelic compilation sets the tone of my posting pretty well, thank you

V. Illych L. posted:

sort of has to be heidegger now doesn't it
i definitely deserve it for the weird low effort derail

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

finally looked up seeking derangements and their latest ep is real good. i'm an hour in and i haven't gotten past the intro song but i dig it

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

i say swears online posted:

so are there any good podcast episodes out this week

ballin out super unlocked their NPR parody Zerial and I couldn't have been more impressed. It's good

new ALAB on all the times the Deutche Bank legal team wrote "uhhh maybe we shouldn't do business for Jeffrey Epstein..." only to have their sales team do it anyway

at one point, Epstein's lawyer goes into an actual bank chain and asks the teller "how much can i withdraw without you having to report this to the feds?"

Joementum has issued a correction as of 17:45 on Jul 13, 2020

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What are some good technology focused podcast where either the host knows their poo poo or gets good interviews?

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

AnEdgelord posted:

I talked about this in the Chapo thread but Matt Christman had a better take on cancel culture than appeared in the actual episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRw63TyfPlE&t=1219s

Matt is the only good Chapo.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
he's boring though.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Honestly I kind of wish Chapo had some sort of huge fight that resulted in them breaking up, because then I'd get to enjoy 2-4 podcasts with them each week, instead of just one. Cancelled! With Amber Frost and Matt Taibbi, or Trump in the Bardo, hosted by Matt Christman, or Menaker Film Society, these are great projects which will emerge if and only if Chapo Trap House itself falls to irreconcilable differences.

Civilized Fishbot has issued a correction as of 18:55 on Jul 13, 2020

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Honestly I kind of wish Chapo had some sort of huge fight that resulted in them breaking up, because then I'd get to enjoy 2-4 podcasts with them each week, instead of just one.

Why have one Christmas when you can have four, each trying to spitefully outshine the rest?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

AnEdgelord posted:

I talked about this in the Chapo thread but Matt Christman had a better take on cancel culture than appeared in the actual episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRw63TyfPlE&t=1219s

i watched this a few days ago and it's very good, also he is correct. id highly recommend it from the start because the Carter stuff is good, but otherwise yeah 20 minutes in is that part

Xaris has issued a correction as of 18:59 on Jul 13, 2020

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

MizPiz posted:

Why have one Christmas when you can have four, each trying to spitefully outshine the rest?

Exactly! I plan to benefit from Chapo divorcing the same way I benefitted from my parents divorcing.

Better yet, instead of breaking up entirely, Chapo should be the SNL of the left twitter podcast industry: it takes the brightest new talent and gives them a prominent space to shine in front of the audience, and everyone leaves after a few years because either they've built enough fame and experience to start their own projects or they've turned out not to have what it takes

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Matt peaked when he got alcohol poisoning on the mid-term election stream

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Exactly! I plan to benefit from Chapo divorcing the same way I benefitted from my parents divorcing.

Better yet, instead of breaking up entirely, Chapo should be the SNL of the left twitter podcast industry: it takes the brightest new talent and gives them a prominent space to shine in front of the audience, and everyone leaves after a few years because either they've built enough fame and experience to start their own projects or they've turned out not to have what it takes

no

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Honestly I kind of wish Chapo had some sort of huge fight that resulted in them breaking up, because then I'd get to enjoy 2-4 podcasts with them each week, instead of just one. Cancelled! With Amber Frost and Matt Taibbi, or Trump in the Bardo, hosted by Matt Christman, or Menaker Film Society, these are great projects which will emerge if and only if Chapo Trap House itself falls to irreconcilable differences.

if Felix would replace Alice on Trashfuture it'd be the best podcast in town

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Kunster posted:

A lot of the defenses of the recent episode just tell me that a lot of people would straight up drink bleach if Amber told them to.

She was tricked by a drat japanese cosplay site into thinking that otaku cute facemasks were to make kids less scared of the quarantine! She's dumb sometimes! It's ok to not just leap into anything she does and go "She good actually" over and over again.

im truly struggling to think why anyone would pay this much attention to anything amber says. lady is a bad take generator

babypolis has issued a correction as of 21:27 on Jul 13, 2020

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

babypolis posted:

im truly struggling to think why anyone would pay this much attention to anything amber says. lady is a bad take generator

Because this is the podcast thread. We talk about podcasts here and amber is part of one

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

yeah, Amber is part podcast

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Finally the mystery of amber's ethnicity is settled

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

OctoberCountry posted:

Matt peaked when he got alcohol poisoning on the mid-term election stream

That was amazing.

The final Blowback bonus episode dropped today that was really good, an interview with Naomi Kline.

The movie episode with Matt was really good as well. I didn't realize Green Zone was the movie version of Imperial Life in the Emerald City, (god I remember I got that book because I saw the author do an interview on the Daily Show) really needs to be made a movie by Iannucci

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

If you liked Blowback it might be worth checking out Once Upon a Time in Iraq, a TV documentary by the BBC that started today. Haven't watched it yet, but I'm hearing good things from the right people. Seems to consist of interviews from just about every demographic involved. It also features Rudy Reyes, the absolute dreamboat from Generation Kill.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i'm kinda bummed they didn't talk about generation kill on the movie episode bc i'd be curious to hear their take/s

i remember watching it around when it came out and thinking it was really good, but i don't think i watched it that critically

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I would like some more of the rarer Chapo configurations. This is Sus gave us some, but I want more.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Felix really needs to do a Showtime Borgias vs Tom Fontana Borgia episode of This is Sus

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

gently caress me, Blowback episode 5. I get that derisive mockery the hosts used is probably the healthier response, but, gently caress, those pundit quotes made my blood boil

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
You Can't Win has turned out to be a terrific podcast for the various interesting guests they get on, like that dude that sounded exasperated all the time but would occasionally drop some random historical reference that would just stump the other hosts, or maybe he just pulled it out of his rear end

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Honest Thief posted:

You Can't Win has turned out to be a terrific podcast for the various interesting guests they get on, like that dude that sounded exasperated all the time but would occasionally drop some random historical reference that would just stump the other hosts, or maybe he just pulled it out of his rear end

that sounds riveting

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i liked the episode with the dude who worked as a process server in D.C. where they'd get hired to serve frivolous lawsuits to politicians and so forth, so he's stalking bill clinton and trying to corner him away from secret service so he can hand him an envelope saying some crackpot from arizona is suing him, and clinton shouts "aw gently caress no!" and tries to book it.

also he served steve bannon one time. that was cool. they posed as maintenance men.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPvOA2UCsOY

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

i say swears online posted:

that sounds riveting

lol well it was either that or the guy in germany who talked extensively for 2hrs about how lovely Germany is outside of the major cities and why the german left can be very anti Palestine; a very somber 2hrs listen

Honest Thief has issued a correction as of 10:53 on Jul 14, 2020

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

*SaGa light bulb flashes and shines above my head as I exercise mastery of a new skill, Dodge Fail AIDS*

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

i liked the episode with the dude who worked as a process server in D.C. where they'd get hired to serve frivolous lawsuits to politicians and so forth, so he's stalking bill clinton and trying to corner him away from secret service so he can hand him an envelope saying some crackpot from arizona is suing him, and clinton shouts "aw gently caress no!" and tries to book it.

also he served steve bannon one time. that was cool. they posed as maintenance men.

glad gene parmesan ended up alright

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Maya Fey posted:

glad gene parmesan ended up alright

"you've been served"

*screams in delight*

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

today's chapo is very funny. much prefer them to be catty about trump's food than try to do serious commentary

btw, ghislaine maxwell's bail hearing is going on right now if you're not reading the epstein thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGhtkwOFkKA

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

MizPiz posted:

Felix really needs to do a Showtime Borgias vs Tom Fontana Borgia episode of This is Sus

which one had scar and which one had rawls

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

zegermans posted:

which one had scar and which one had rawls

Showtime had Pope Scar and Fontana had Pope Rawls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

MizPiz posted:

Showtime had Pope Scar and Fontana had Pope Rawls
jeremy irons in pope garb suspecting that a newfangled cigar is a turd, cautiously smoking it, then becoming addicted to cigars rules