Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GBS Ambassador
Oct 31, 2013

timp posted:

I’m about 4 hours in and it’s virtually the exact same. That Neil guy who translated it in the 90’s did a phenomenal job as it turns out, and the port is identical to the original game as far as I can tell.

Rand Brittain posted:

In general both translations seem to be of good quality; the new one appears to be running for consistency with Heroes of Mana.

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So at a bit of a crossroads here.
I finally hit my first promotion, at level 21 because at no point was I informed that's what the mana stones were for.
And I keep fixating on all the stuff that's wrong with this game, mostly the pacing.
Now I still enjoy the game but at this point I'm thinking I'm going to pick up the remake when it comes out.
So now do I continue playing or maybe turf this run and start playing Legend of Mana or something.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
So, I am kinda confused/ curious: Is the big Trials of Mana remake gonna be Switch only or also available on other platforms? Mostly wondering since I got a friend who really liked SD3 but doesn't have a Switch.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Man, this is disappointing. I've been doing my usual post-Smash-reveal reaction video binging (the only reaction videos I like, I swear :() and I've been skipping around through the direct to see any reactions to the stuff that I liked (Animal Crossing, No More Heroes ect) and so far I've only found one that even acknowledged what a big deal it is to get both an official SD3 and the Trials remake. :( I guess the kind of people who stumbled across and played the fan translation of SD3 aren't the kind of people who become YouTubers, but if anyone finds a decent one lemme know. Obviously it was nice to see positive reactions here on the forums but there's something special about seeing and hearing genuine excitement. :)

Playing SD3 in co-op with my brother was some of the most fun gaming of my childhood, so the amount of excitement over this news seems way too low. I guess the fan translation must have been a bit obscure? Even though I remember SD3 always being recommended along with games like Chrono Trigger and FFVI

sunaurus fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jun 17, 2019

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

So at a bit of a crossroads here.
I finally hit my first promotion, at level 21 because at no point was I informed that's what the mana stones were for.
And I keep fixating on all the stuff that's wrong with this game, mostly the pacing.
Now I still enjoy the game but at this point I'm thinking I'm going to pick up the remake when it comes out.
So now do I continue playing or maybe turf this run and start playing Legend of Mana or something.

Remake will have a lot changed apparently, so there is something to be said in "first seeing the original". But yeah, what you are talking about is exactly the kind of thing that's nasty to new players in it. Not only are the mana stones not explicitly for tiering up in a clear manner, but they are situated in such a way that you either need to grind a lot to get to level18 in Roland? or just end up getting to the new tier at level 20+.... which means losing stat points until the next tier.

sunaurus posted:

Playing SD3 in co-op with my brother was some of the most fun gaming of my childhood, so the amount of excitement over this news seems way too low. I guess the fan translation must have been a bit obscure? Even though I remember SD3 always being recommended along with games like Chrono Trigger and FFVI

Recommendation for emulator games is always going to affect less people than games you can actually see in stores.

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015

Greader posted:

So, I am kinda confused/ curious: Is the big Trials of Mana remake gonna be Switch only or also available on other platforms? Mostly wondering since I got a friend who really liked SD3 but doesn't have a Switch.

As seems to be the trend in big publisher JRPGs now, it's also going to be on PS4 and Steam. The only way your friend would miss out is if they just had an Xbox.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

How to play SD3 is so ingrained into my being I can't imagine what it's like for a player going into it fresh. Nothing really tells you when you're ready to class change, where to get the items to class change the second time, and if you missed it, where you're supposed to class change in the second half of the game.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Arkeus posted:

Remake will have a lot changed apparently, so there is something to be said in "first seeing the original". But yeah, what you are talking about is exactly the kind of thing that's nasty to new players in it. Not only are the mana stones not explicitly for tiering up in a clear manner, but they are situated in such a way that you either need to grind a lot to get to level18 in Roland? or just end up getting to the new tier at level 20+.... which means losing stat points until the next tier.

if you are barreling through the game then the ice and fire stones are usually perfectly positioned for when you hit 18. but a new player is more likely to have fought more while trying to figure out which way to go. if you hit 18 before you're in the fire/ice dungeons then just go back to rolante, there's nothing keeping you from backtracking once you're off of bucca.

i think class changing involving the mana stones is mentioned in a couple of books and stuff around the early towns and maybe the fairy alludes to it in rolante? but no, it's not clearly stated for some bizarre reason.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Found another good reaction from a YouTuber named PlayerEssence. He fell out of his seat and was basically stunned silent for the whole trailer which was impressive. But I'll be honest, I think a lot of "reaction" videos overreact for views and he didn't go into detail about the game like Vinny did at the time so I wasn't sure if I believed it was legit or not, but then I saw he put it at #5 in his top ten best of E3 and talked a lot more about it there so then I felt bad for judging him. Mana fans are precious.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Found another good reaction from a YouTuber named PlayerEssence. He fell out of his seat and was basically stunned silent for the whole trailer which was impressive. But I'll be honest, I think a lot of "reaction" videos overreact for views and he didn't go into detail about the game like Vinny did at the time so I wasn't sure if I believed it was legit or not, but then I saw he put it at #5 in his top ten best of E3 and talked a lot more about it there so then I felt bad for judging him. Mana fans are precious.

Number 4 actually. Thanks for sharing!

It is satisfying to see others have the kind of reaction I had more or less. I’m just really glad I watched it at home instead of at the office, lol

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Arkeus posted:

I already played SD3 to completion but it was a long time ago. I ran Duran, Angela and I thought Charlotte but I had to specifically make Duran my healer so it couldn't have been her. I just know it was a trio with little/no inherit synergy.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ChrisBTY posted:

I already played SD3 to completion but it was a long time ago. I ran Duran, Angela and I thought Charlotte but I had to specifically make Duran my healer so it couldn't have been her. I just know it was a trio with little/no inherit synergy.

To be fair, Angela just doesn't get great synergy in general since all she brings usually is nuke the screen, and it's easy to just stumble into a team combination that doesn't support her at all. Kevin potentially has that problem too, but you'll almost always have someone who can buff him directly or indirectly, unless it's some combination of Angela, Light-Dark Duran, or Light-Light Hawk where you get no physical buffs/debuffs at all, and Kevin is still ridiculously strong without buffers anyways. I still like to bring Angela though cause I like her sass.

EDIT: Confused Light-light Hawk with Light-Dark Hawk. Light-Dark's the one who's all about throwing grenades and darts at things till they die and nothing else.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 17, 2019

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Allarion posted:

To be fair, Angela just doesn't get great synergy in general since all she brings usually is nuke the screen, and it's easy to just stumble into a team combination that doesn't support her at all. Kevin potentially has that problem too, but you'll almost always have someone who can buff him directly or indirectly, unless it's some combination of Angela, Light-Dark Duran, or Light-Light Hawk where you get no physical buffs/debuffs at all, and Kevin is still ridiculously strong without buffers anyways. I still like to bring Angela though cause I like her sass.

Speaking of, anyone knows of a good team composition with Angela as a main? The way she has a perpendicular attack styles to other characters does make it harder.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Riesz in either Light or Dark will always help any team, though she usually goes Light since other characters can bring debuffs. Dark Carlie or Dark Hawk for their debuffs, and edge-case of Light-Dark Kevin for Leaf Saber, for an Angela Focused team.

Edit: Forgot that Dark-Light Duran also has Leaf Saber, so yeah, I guess everyone could support Angela to some degree, though it’s edge-cases in the case of Duran and Kevin.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 18, 2019

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Though really, all this theorycrafting becomes silly once you realize the 2nd class-change basically happens right at the end of the game, so you never get the chance to fully test your team out on stuff.

Threads of Mana isn't the most well-designed game, which I hope the remake addresses in some degree. I just really like Mana's classes conceptually though, and hope they explore it and/or Legend's weapons if they ever make a new Mana game

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'm about 10 hours in, just got everyone in my party their first class change, and the game seems easy enough that you probably don't need to worry about fully exploiting the class system. Enemies drop tons of cash that you can spend on an endless supply of items that you can freely pull out of storage between combat encounters, which paves over a lot of the difficulties you might run into. Maybe there's a gatekeeper of a dungeon or boss that's gonna surprise me, but I just haven't felt forced to think hard about anything yet.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

acksplode posted:

I'm about 10 hours in, just got everyone in my party their first class change, and the game seems easy enough that you probably don't need to worry about fully exploiting the class system. Enemies drop tons of cash that you can spend on an endless supply of items that you can freely pull out of storage between combat encounters, which paves over a lot of the difficulties you might run into. Maybe there's a gatekeeper of a dungeon or boss that's gonna surprise me, but I just haven't felt forced to think hard about anything yet.

Enemy levels scale hard after a certain point in the game to the point that you’ll need to rely on equipment to do damage and equipment gets super expensive

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I want to clear out some stuff from my backlog first but I am VIBRATING at the idea of playing SD3.

However, Legend of Mana is the best one in the series, dissenters can fight me in a parking lot after hours.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
My inner twelve-year-old has been going apeshit since last week. SoM and SD3 were my introduction to and the beginning of my love affair with action RPGs. Not only is one of my absolute favorite games of all time finally getting an official English release, it's also getting a shiny new 3d remake with updated gameplay. Honestly, I'd still get the remake if it were just a reskin, because SD3's gameplay has aged pretty well, especially compared to SoM. But there's a lot of room to bring it up to date with modern ARPGs, and I'm learning from this thread a bunch of stuff was bugged that my stupid tween-rear end didn't notice. So far, it looks really great, and I have faith they can strike gold again.

Kevin forever. Though, with these more detailed models, all the bois are pretty cute. Gonna be hard choosing my first team.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

gandlethorpe posted:

Kevin forever. Though, with these more detailed models, all the bois are pretty cute. Gonna be hard choosing my first team.

Kevin loving owns. I love running into night combat and just being all like “awWOOO!!” And now I’m a werewolf.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I appreciate the Remake just looked at his stats and how he actually is in the original game, and just doubled down on him being the big berserker rather than re-balancing him to be the tank the original game seemed to try to make him based off his stat growth, but instead bugged out and buffed him whenever he got hit in wolf form.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
How well/much did the SoM Remake sell? Did they give numbers for it?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm finally fishing for ??? seeds in SD3 and I completely forget this is annoying as hell. 12 seeds so far, no Paladin item for Duran. 4 Gleipnirs though, which is a class Riesz isn't even eligible for.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Shoenin posted:

How well/much did the SoM Remake sell? Did they give numbers for it?

I don't think you're going to get numbers for stuff like this.

Presumably these remakes have been doing better and better since they keep being given more platforms and more budget.

Adventures of Mana was just a phone game, to start.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

SettingSun posted:

I'm finally fishing for ??? seeds in SD3 and I completely forget this is annoying as hell. 12 seeds so far, no Paladin item for Duran. 4 Gleipnirs though, which is a class Riesz isn't even eligible for.

All the class change items cast a spell/ability of the class it's for; check to see if the ones you're getting would be useful to you. (Also, saving and reloading before you use a ??? Seed will change the rng of what it turns into.)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Oh god, an SD3 remake! I'm so hype!

I bounced off that game the first time I played it, because I took Lise, Hawk and Angela as my first party. It's not the right combination for a beginner. I tried it again 6 months later, and have been in love with the game ever since. I can hardly believe this will get a remake, I'm super happy.

By the way, Final Fantasy Adventure was my favorite Game Boy game, and I was a bit disappointed with the remake. Sure, the mechanics were better, you had a party, a wider selection of magic and weapons, and some cool item forging. But the story was worse imho. FFA had a pretty straightforward story, making Dark Lord or Julius (can't remember which) a misunderstood woobie didn't sit right with me. The game missed the emotional beats. Willy dying was an effective shock at the start of the game, etc.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Is the AI off by default in SoM or something? I played it when it was new with my brother as a kid but I definitely remember the third party member actually doing stuff and now the other party members literally just stand there, it's absolutely infurating and is making playing impossible.

I'm seriously regretting buying it now, even though I played relatively recently on an emulator it just all seems a lot more annoying. I especially don't like that I can't hide the banners in the side bars, please let me make them black because it's super distracting otherwise!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Taear posted:

Is the AI off by default in SoM or something? I played it when it was new with my brother as a kid but I definitely remember the third party member actually doing stuff and now the other party members literally just stand there, it's absolutely infurating and is making playing impossible.

I'm seriously regretting buying it now, even though I played relatively recently on an emulator it just all seems a lot more annoying. I especially don't like that I can't hide the banners in the side bars, please let me make them black because it's super distracting otherwise!

no but they tend to be really bad at the default range/aggressiveness settings. one of the menu screens lets you change their AI priorities

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Jazerus posted:

no but they tend to be really bad at the default range/aggressiveness settings. one of the menu screens lets you change their AI priorities

Ah thanks, I thought maybe it'd been turned off but I couldn't find where to go to sort it.

It's also a bit baffling that B is the default select/attack key but A is the default key in the ROM menu. I know it can be changed, it's just strange.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The AI in Secret of Mana was never good, that's just bad memories.

Like yeah you can shuffle it around but they're always going to amble around stupidly vaguely in the direction of enemies and also get caught on literally every bit of the environment.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Melomane Mallet posted:

All the class change items cast a spell/ability of the class it's for; check to see if the ones you're getting would be useful to you. (Also, saving and reloading before you use a ??? Seed will change the rng of what it turns into.)

Don't worry I know all the tricks in the book. I eventually got the Knight Tag I wanted. Ended up with 6(!) Gleipnirs at the end of it. This evolved into weapon/armor gear seed grinding because I gotta have that ultimate equipment. I settled for kitting out Duran and most of Angela, but didn't get a single thing for Riesz somehow.

Just finished that run last night too. I realized I had not played this game through to completion in over 10 years, and longer for a Duran/Angela story run. It was much more difficult than I remember it being. Koren in particular would not let up.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Phantasium posted:

The AI in Secret of Mana was never good, that's just bad memories.

Like yeah you can shuffle it around but they're always going to amble around stupidly vaguely in the direction of enemies and also get caught on literally every bit of the environment.

Yea I never said it was good but there's a REALLY big gap between "badly attacking and getting hurt" and "literally standing in front of the baddies doing nothing".

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Torrannor posted:

I bounced off that game the first time I played it, because I took Lise, Hawk and Angela as my first party. It's not the right combination for a beginner. I tried it again 6 months later, and have been in love with the game ever since. I can hardly believe this will get a remake, I'm super happy.

By the way, Final Fantasy Adventure was my favorite Game Boy game, and I was a bit disappointed with the remake. Sure, the mechanics were better, you had a party, a wider selection of magic and weapons, and some cool item forging. But the story was worse imho. FFA had a pretty straightforward story, making Dark Lord or Julius (can't remember which) a misunderstood woobie didn't sit right with me. The game missed the emotional beats. Willy dying was an effective shock at the start of the game, etc.

Yeah Sword of Mana was disappointing. Did like the recent remake Adventure of Mana that was Vita only, as it was very faithful to the gb game.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Torrannor posted:

I kind of wish more games had a straightforward story. I could use a fun fantasy rpg where you fight for the good guys to topple the evil emperor.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

May be of limited interest for this thread, but the fighting game with Riesz in it came out on Steam today.

https://gematsu.com/2019/06/million-arthur-arcana-blood-for-pc-now-available

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015

Phantasium posted:

May be of limited interest for this thread, but the fighting game with Riesz in it came out on Steam today.

https://gematsu.com/2019/06/million-arthur-arcana-blood-for-pc-now-available

I know fighting game stories can get pretty weird, but the first paragraph under "About" is just pure :wtf:

quote:

This smash-hit game series is set in the world of “Britain,” home to a million King Arthurs and a million Excaliburs. The Arthurs each strive to become the one true king, wielding the power of the knights and the faeries of antiquity. They fight to unite a Britain where civil wars are a common occurrence and to protect from outside threats.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It’s based off a gacha mobile game. One of Square’s more profitable properties that’s basically unknown in the West. Riesz getting added as a guest character to the fighting game spinoff is just a surprise all around

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Here's another interview about the Trials of Mana remake in Japanese: https://dengekionline.com/articles/3602/

Not many highlights, but:
-They're adding more to the interlocking character system, it sounds like.
-The character designer is HACCAN. I think that's the same person that worked on the last two remakes so no surprise.
-Hiroki Kikuta is supervising the music arrangements, but you can also use the original soundtrack if you want.

There was also a blog post from Shinichi Kameoka talking about working on Secret of Mana.

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/06/20/secret-of-mana-character-designer-shinichi-kameoka-reminiscences-about-the-games-release/

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I'm 3 or 4 hours in to Trials of Mana for the first time and grasping the controls and combat is proving incredibly difficult. I spent probably 15 minutes last night trying to figure out exactly how to switch characters beyond holding L/R to temporarily control, how to equip items on other characters, how to cast spells with other characters, etc. Feel dumb in hindsight, given that it's mostly that I forgot the select button existed and didn't try it for a very long time.

That said, I have a few questions. My party is Reisz, Hawke, Charlotte:
1) Is there a good overall combat guide that I can watch or read?
2) If not, is there more to combat than simply walking up to an enemy, mashing the attack button, and hoping you don't miss? Only one party member has any spells (Charlotte), and my main (Reisz) doesn't seem to do anything besides the basic attack.
3) Can I screw myself if I don't level up properly? I don't care about min/maxing, but I don't want to get to the end of the game and find out I shouldn't have put any stats towards X with character Y and it screwed me.
4) At a shop do I really have to exit out of the menu to switch which characters stats it shows before I buy something?

I really hope Charlotte doesn't talk like this in the remake. I instantly regretted my choice.

Asnorban fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

Asnorban posted:

I'm 3 or 4 hours in to Trials of Mana for the first time and grasping the controls and combat is proving incredibly difficult. I spent probably 15 minutes last night trying to figure out exactly how to switch characters beyond holding L/R to temporarily control, how to equip items on other characters, how to cast spells with other characters, etc. Feel dumb in hindsight, given that it's mostly that I forgot the select button existed and didn't try it for a very long time.

That said, I have a few questions. My party is Reisz, Hawke, Charlotte:
1) Is there a good overall combat guide that I can watch or read?
2) If not, is there more to combat than simply walking up to an enemy, mashing the attack button, and hoping you don't miss? Only one party member has any spells (Charlotte), and my main (Reisz) doesn't seem to do anything besides the basic attack.
3) Can I screw myself if I don't level up properly? I don't care about min/maxing, but I don't want to get to the end of the game and find out I shouldn't have put any stats towards X with character Y and it screwed me.
4) At a shop do I really have to exit out of the menu to switch which characters stats it shows before I buy something?

I really hope Charlotte doesn't talk like this in the remake. I instantly regretted my choice.

There really isn't a whole lot to melee combat, just attack, then wait for the ready animation.
Only Charlotte and Angela get any spells before the first class change.
When you class change your stats go up to the maximum of the class you're leaving, if you level too much you lose a couple of stat points, but it's not a big deal.

BrokenLink fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 23, 2019