Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

for people new to SD3/Trials:

most of the game is similar no matter what your party is, but the very beginning and the last dungeon are determined by your main character. the difficulty of the last dungeon varies (slightly) depending on your path

hawk and lise share a story. it's about witches and demons. their final dungeon is considered the hardest but hawk and lise are characters that routinely break the game across their knee so you should be fine
angela and duran share a story. it's about knights, sorcerers, and dragons. this is the middle-difficulty path but any party with angela is extremely strong so you're probably fine
kevin and charlotte share a story. It's about werewolves and clowns. this is easy by default because you're not going to lose with kevin or charlotte in the party

i feel like I'm doing duran a disservice but he is kind of the odd man out since his shields don't function (unless that was fixed) and he's strictly outclassed by kevin otherwise. any party composition is fine though - just keep in mind that your main character is the one that really matters. it's kinda nice to pair the characters that share a story together because they will both get relevant dialogue sometimes, but it's nothing huge especially for kevin and charlotte who aren't the most articulate folks anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i guess i should say that it IS possible to back yourself into a corner mechanically with some party comps, though, depending on your class selections. you can beat the game with literally any combination but it's definitely true that some have more synergy than others. an all-light duran/kevin/charlotte party is functionally immortal but you're really going to be wishing for better damage, for example.

essentially you want healing, buffs, debuffs, sabers, physical attacks, and magic attacks, but no party can supply all of the above effectively so you try to cover as many bases as you can

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Is Duran that screwed? I played Hawk years ago and I wanted to play another character.

not at all, just don't play his light classes because their gimmick is potentially still busted. his dark/light is a physical attacker with the widest variety of sabers of any class and dark/dark is the second-beefiest physical attacker in the game with somewhat fewer sabers

being bad at attacking when compared to kevin is still very good by any other standard

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

The guide I'm reading says they had extreme trouble with Jewel Eater until they hit level 15. I just beat him at level 9 very easily with a no-caster party.

I'm not sure if the guide writer was very bad or if they adjusted the difficulty.

a normal player will hit level 18 while going after their fifth or sixth mana spirit

grinding to 15 to fight jewel eater is insane. the most grinding i've ever done was to get to 18 in rolante to class change early for the cool toys but even that's pretty overboard

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Zophar posted:

The Collection of Mana games are basically ROM dumps, barring SD3's translation re-coding. They are all exactly as they appeared/behaved on original GB/SNES hardware.

even sd3's modifications are entirely within the bounds of an snes, you would just need a beefier cart to hold the rom

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Rate my team: Hawk, Angela, Riesz.

one of the best particularly with dark hawk and light lise

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the differences in translation are interesting.

so far from what i've seen the fan translation's names are better localized - byzel instead of beiser, lise rather than riesz (though that's typical square), etc. - but kevin not being a caveman is kinda nice

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Arkeus posted:

Remake will have a lot changed apparently, so there is something to be said in "first seeing the original". But yeah, what you are talking about is exactly the kind of thing that's nasty to new players in it. Not only are the mana stones not explicitly for tiering up in a clear manner, but they are situated in such a way that you either need to grind a lot to get to level18 in Roland? or just end up getting to the new tier at level 20+.... which means losing stat points until the next tier.

if you are barreling through the game then the ice and fire stones are usually perfectly positioned for when you hit 18. but a new player is more likely to have fought more while trying to figure out which way to go. if you hit 18 before you're in the fire/ice dungeons then just go back to rolante, there's nothing keeping you from backtracking once you're off of bucca.

i think class changing involving the mana stones is mentioned in a couple of books and stuff around the early towns and maybe the fairy alludes to it in rolante? but no, it's not clearly stated for some bizarre reason.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Taear posted:

Is the AI off by default in SoM or something? I played it when it was new with my brother as a kid but I definitely remember the third party member actually doing stuff and now the other party members literally just stand there, it's absolutely infurating and is making playing impossible.

I'm seriously regretting buying it now, even though I played relatively recently on an emulator it just all seems a lot more annoying. I especially don't like that I can't hide the banners in the side bars, please let me make them black because it's super distracting otherwise!

no but they tend to be really bad at the default range/aggressiveness settings. one of the menu screens lets you change their AI priorities

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the black market is definitely the least obvious key mechanic in the game. any party can be hitting like an end-game party from the moment you get to byzel if you get the strength scales and a decent claw collection

worth noting that this dramatically raises the value of debuffs in your party because the debuff-inflicting items can't be purchased. notably this makes dark hawk, dark lise, and dark charlotte better than you might think at first glance

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 27, 2019

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Folt The Bolt posted:

Hm... so Hawk's jutsus other than Shuriken are keyed to Intelligence for attack despite being keyed to Dexterity as the prerequisite for learning them. Interesting.

hawk definitely has the worst case of multiple stat dependence out of anybody, since he needs dex, int, and str for full effectiveness as a hybrid melee/caster

not that it's a big deal

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

god beast or bust

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

What’s up with RPGs from that era having their core stats just not work at all sometimes. See also FFVI with evade/magic evade, FFVII with the def from armor, etc.

snes games were coded in assembly and not playtested to the same extent that modern games usually are. so a combination of it being really easy to introduce bugs by grabbing the wrong register, and the more subtle ones going unnoticed. the difficulty curve feels fine in sd3 and ff6 so the lack of critical hits or misses just didn't register for the playtesters, who didn't necessarily know that those mechanics were supposed to exist in the first place

ff7 was in c++ but it was the second game square ever did with a real language instead of assembly so probably there were a bunch of adjustment issues. armor defense not working is conceptually a pretty simple bug that ultimately comes down to 'base defense and armor defense are probably added together somewhere, but the combat formula accidentally just uses the base defense value instead of the total defense value'. could be due to confusing naming ("what's this DEFT variable? looks like a typo of DEF so i better fix it") or any number of other things. also, still not a lot of in-depth playtesting in the psx era

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

lise/riesz always seemed like the obvious main character of the cast to me. maybe more of a psx-era style protagonist though while duran channels the classic dragon quest hero

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Erpy posted:

Spikey Tiger is kind of infamous in its difficulty since it's kinda the last boss you can't abuse magic spam on.

you aren't supposed to do spiky tiger without magic even though the game lets you. you can do the witch's forest all throughout the early game but you don't have to do more than just visit until it's literally the last available area before the next segment of the game

he's intended to be the boss that teaches you to use your magic a lot

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

No Wave posted:

you can get undine before you get the telepathic message? I recalled that you can beat tropicallo with or without girl but i dont see how the undine thing would work.

nah you're right, what i was thinking about was having a full party vs only two characters

he is supposed to teach you to use magic but only by roasting you with it

my bad

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

y'know, i always pictured lise's armor as a bit..uh...more comprehensive than that

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

BrokenLink posted:

For everyone not named Hawkeye, you can ignore agi.
The stat is broken and only slows trap wheels for anyone else.
You only need one character to pump luck (whoever you have open chests) because it's also broken.
Generally, you'll want to focus on vit and whatever their damage stat is, int for Angela, str for Riesz and Hawkeye.
Spi is still useful for magic defense and light spells, but its much less important as you don't have any healers in this party.
Don't worry too much about early stats, when you rank up it puts all your stats at the previous classes cap.
When you rank up you'll want to put a couple points into int and spi to unlock spells for Angela and Riesz and also agi for some of Hawkeye's classes.

spirit/piety influences the effectiveness of poto oils too, because you're really just casting heal light. every party needs heal light in some fashion, whether that's as a native spell or an item-assisted one. in this case, that basically means that lise/riesz should be the one throwing the poto oils.

Torrannor posted:

Just want to note that you've made it a bit harder on yourself by choosing the only party composition without a healer. There's a town called Byzel with a famous black market that sells advanced healing items (like poto oil) that you will likely need in the later stages of the game.

there are plenty of no-healer party compositions, this is just the only one where none of their classes can heal at all.

it's not a big deal, this is an easy game and the power you're getting from the buff-debuff-nuke trifecta means you need a lot less healing. definitely stock up on poto oils and the various claws at the black market though.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 23, 2020

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Some of those are okay but man they went all-in on the creep-on-a-teenage-girl factor of the game.

i hate it because i've always liked lise's design for being very practical. she's supposed to contrast with angela's boob armor by being sensibly dressed

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

imo the fan translation's names were, in general, better, while the retranslation's dialogue is somewhat smoother. "byzel" -> "beiser" is a real regression, for example

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

gandlethorpe posted:

I don't want to read a goddamn text file, lol.

Also other stuff that may have been totally mapped out since then, like the exact formula for damage calculation or something. I also learned that crits/dodging don't work at all and don't recall that being confirmed knowledge back in the day.

Based on watching GDQ, people are always learning weird new quirks about old games.

crits/dodging not working was well known. it was not literally confirmed through assembly diving until much later, i suppose - the only real effort at romhacking beyond the text portion of the rom was SD3 Hardtype and it's pretty recent. the FAQs you don't want to read do talk about how, for example, duran's shields don't work, kevin's crit-boosting spell makes it literally impossible to score a crit instead of just vanishingly unlikely, that sort of thing.

i feel you on the text file thing tho. it would be nice if gamefaqs would at least try to convert the text files into html - many of those FAQ authors put a lot of effort into section tags and other poo poo that would make their guides machine-convertable

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SuperKlaus posted:

The first thing you see of her as she steps out from Flamekhan's throne is a zoomed-in shot square on her chest. Really classy stuff.

Whoever said this looks like a mobile shovelware game aesthetically isn't all wrong. I give this a pass because for the most part these are the character designs as they were in 1995, so we're not looking at generic anime so much as we're looking at what established the concept later known as generic anime, and I adored the SNES game back in 2002. But there's a definite skeevy anime aspect to all the women.

the character designs of the remake are not the original designs. well, the guys mostly get their original designs - they absolutely made the women wayyyyy skeevier. i guess angela always had a very low-cut boob armor thing in her base class menu portrait, but the sprite was considerably less horny and most of her final classes were pretty fully-dressed. lise literally wears poo poo like full plate and cloaks in her menu portraits, and her sprite suggests a fully-armored torso with an armored skirt down to the knee.

like i'm not opposed to people enjoying horny character designs but i am baffled that they took an RPG that resisted the siren call of boob armor remarkably well for a product of the mid-90s and dialed the horny up to 11 25 years later

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Lastdancer posted:

I am having the hardest time deciding who I'm going with for a team. I was thinking about just rolling for it but I need to know: is there like any absolute "don't do this" character compositions that'll just make things super hard for me?

it's hard to say given how different the remake's approach to stats and skills is. probably the worst thing you could do in the original was to go all-in on any one thing - in general you want to avoid building any of your characters such that they have large overlaps in capability with another character, so don't go dark with both Hawk and Lise, don't go light on Duran or Kevin if you have Charlotte. you could still win the game pretty easily with any party though.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

a puppy just died like 10 seconds into my gameplay and I'm still happy.

karl :smith:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

this man appears to be screeching uncontrollably at people who hate mana games while acting as though they're 99% of the jrpg playing population

legend is a little obtuse unless you dig into gamefaqs and i have seen negative opinions about it, but i'm not sure anyone at all actually hates secret or trials.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm not even sure what I would want a Legend of Mana remaster to be, although I definitely want one.

Like, do you make the crafting simpler and probably boring, or do you lean the hell in and make it even more obtuse, detailed, and incomprehensible?

keep it the same but make the game hard enough that you actually have to engage with the systems at least on the surface level. obviously nothing outside of potentially an optional hard mode should require you to go through 50 step coin-crystal-thorns forges, but with monsters, golems, instruments, etc. you should feel underpowered if you try to play it as a solo punch-mans game so that people don't do that.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

The fact that the PC game's names for the buttons have nothing to do with the labels of the buttons on my controller is really annoying.

it's revenge for all of the games that exclusively use xbox button labels which perennially confuse nintendo controller users

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

gandlethorpe posted:

Everyone in your party gets closure, but obviously not as fleshed out as when they're your MC. If your party member is the one that shares conflict with your MC's homeland, then it blends into your story better.

yes. for reference, duran & angela, kevin & charlotte, and riesz & hawkeye are the pairs. there is nothing wrong with ignoring them entirely, but you will gain greater insight into the overall story of that set of antagonists if you have your main character's paired character in the party.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the caster parties always dumpstered the game, just through somewhat different mechanics. light riesz/dark hawk/whatever angela is basically you declaring that you want to bully the game as hard as possible, in either version

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Item Getter posted:

I do actually also like that part since it's like what each kingdom would be like if it was (more than temporarily) taken over by its enemies and fallen into ruin. I just mean it's low effort in the sense that it's only repurposing existing towns and super long because they could reuse every main character's starting town to make it.
Though I guess JRPG postgame dungeons with a lot of effort put into the design are pretty rare, the only one I can think of off hand is the Seraphic Gate from Valkyrie Profile (especially 2).

it's pretty in-character for this game though...many of the most memorable sections of the game are invasion sequences. i could see where the developers, as fans of the original, would think "everyone loves the fights in the towns, let's just make more of those"

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

lets hang out posted:

best thing about a legend remake would be having the music at higher quality, assuming they didn't just throw it all away years ago. they really crushed it to fit it all on that 1 cd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sl-TjTB7OE

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

man, as much as i am excited that trials has gotten a re-release and a remake, the place names in the official translation are really badly localized. i'm not sure how it's possible that a bunch of teenagers in 1999 had a better ear for it than a professional team in 2019, but...

byzel vs beiser
navarre vs nevarl

it makes me wonder how many weird jrpg place names actually are perfectly sensible but just badly translated

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i believe that in the 2D version, it was duran -> hawk -> angela. it's not possible to have a party where riesz or kevin are in jail as NPCs.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

I forgot all about Secret of Evermore and just read up on it because of that post. It has a super impressive pedigree, wow - The first game Jeremy Soule composed music for, and many of the people who worked on it later went to Humongous Entertainment and spawned Cavedog then made Total Annihilation. Also Daniel Dociu was the art director and he went on to work with NCsoft and Arenanet as the art director for both Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 which have pretty phenomenal art direction.

i think it's very much the kind of game that all of those people had to cut their teeth on before making the masterpieces they're known for, but as first games go, it's certainly a cut above the norm

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Hannibal Rex posted:

I got my wife a Switch for Christmas, and I'm going to pick up Collection of Mana for nostalgia reasons, as I played the coop mode on my best friend's SNES back in the day. Are any of the other games/remakes worth it on top of that? I never played Trials/SD3.

Any other recommendations for games with a good story and casual-ish drop in coop?

for co-op the collection is going to be pretty much it. legend of mana has bad multiplayer and the sd3 remake doesn't have it at all

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

poto oils + the single target heal items should definitely cover your healing. have lise throw the poto oils because her spirit is the best of the three. i would generally agree that hawk/riesz/angela should go dark/light/whatever - buffs + debuffs + spells is just silly levels of offense, the only team that maybe competes offensively with this one is hawk/riesz/kevin.

if you want to go light hawk and dark riesz tho that's fine. light hawk has interesting spells and dark riesz can cover the debuffing while you depend on scales from the black market for buffs. you're gonna be hitting the black market for saber items anyway with this team no matter their class composition so it's not a big deal to get some strength and intelligence scales at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

yes, items beyond basic healing are for bosses in most sections of the game so they aren't a huge expense over time. there might be normal encounters worth breaking them out on late-game when you have tons of money.