Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

What urban legends were popular in your grade school years?

When I was a lad, everyone said Yellow Dye No. 5 would lower your sperm count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Neurion posted:

When I was a lad, everyone said Yellow Dye No. 5 would lower your sperm count.

That's pretty mature of them tbh. In my school we just said it made your balls smaller.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

My balls are already small enough from my friends and I kicking each other in the nuts for sport all through high school.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Small children were constantly being abducted by murderers and human traffickers at walmart. What they would do is grab them, take them to the bathroom, change their clothes, give them a quick haircut and dye job, and then just leave the store with them. Even if their parents saw them, they wouldn't recognize them. That's why my family shopped at target.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I was actually in grade school for the whole "pop rocks and coca cola will make your head explode thing". The story went that the kid on the front of the Life cereal box (Mikey) actually died that way. The rumor was so persistent that he or his publicist had to actually issue some sort of press release telling everyone he was fine.

...or maybe that 2nd bit was part of the rumor. I forget. I'm old.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

If you say Neurion three times in front of a mirror, you turn gay.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Everyone said I was gay

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Red Bull contains bull testicle

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
abstinence works

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

We didn't really believe in urban legends after we saw the cops respond to a homeless man at recess that we all saw pass out on hair spray and milk in the parking lot of a grocery store that backed up to our elementary school

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

sweet thursday posted:

We didn't really believe in urban legends after we saw the cops respond to a homeless man at recess that we all saw pass out on hair spray and milk in the parking lot of a grocery store that backed up to our elementary school

That would just make me believer harder

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Small children were constantly being abducted by murderers and human traffickers at walmart. What they would do is grab them, take them to the bathroom, change their clothes, give them a quick haircut and dye job, and then just leave the store with them. Even if their parents saw them, they wouldn't recognize them. That's why my family shopped at target.

We had that one too. Also people were allegedly lacing Pokemon temporary tattoos with drugs and posting them through random letterboxes

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
If you take a single hit off a joint you'll be giving blowjobs behind the liquor store to pay for crack by the end of the month.

Also:

Glenn Quebec posted:

abstinence works

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
You have to work hard to succeed

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Dealers give you free poo poo to get you hooked. And we are not talking like a joint, just dropping a big bag of crack rocks at the local middle school

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Marilyn Manson had two ribs removed so he could suck his own dick.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Us middle schoolers 100% believed that The ghost of Bloody Mary (3x in the Mirror one) died in front of the county library. In the upper west corner of Ohio. We were stupid.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Students poo when they die

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

vyst posted:

Students poo when they die

Everyone poos when they die.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Ultra Carp

Devils Affricate posted:

That's pretty mature of them tbh. In my school we just said it made your balls smaller.

same thing. sperm is stored in the balls. if there's less, the balls are smaller

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Vim Fuego posted:

same thing. sperm is stored in the balls. if there's less, the balls are smaller

Actually that's pee

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Vim Fuego posted:

W..w..who told you this...VISCIOUS LIE

Piss. Is. Stored. In. The. Balls.
You know this and shouldn't be listening to those... Kids at school. I don't want to hear any more of this.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Chrs Gry posted:

We had that one too. Also people were allegedly lacing Pokemon temporary tattoos with drugs and posting them through random letterboxes

I'd always wear these temporary dragon, skull and other super-cool-to-a-kid tatoos in first grade and the teacher didn't want me to give one to a classmate, because there can be drugs and diseases involved with tatoos.

Professor McShitbrains couldn't tell the difference between a needle and a dollarstore sticker. You don't get an acid tab for a dollar at least not around here.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Yeah all those scary stories adults told you about drug dealers practically forcing you to do drugs get shattered pretty quickly after you're a bit older and actually trying to find drugs

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Devils Affricate posted:

Yeah all those scary stories adults told you about drug dealers practically forcing you to do drugs get shattered pretty quickly after you're a bit older and actually trying to find drugs

First semester of high school I got asked "Hey, wanna smoke pot?" from a dude in my class.

I said no.

:c00lbert:

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Colonel Cancer posted:

Dealers give you free poo poo to get you hooked. And we are not talking like a joint, just dropping a big bag of crack rocks at the local middle school

yeah, I remember those D.A.R.E. assemblies. Drug Dealers just handing cocaine out like candy to get all you kids strung out and dependent on them, say no to drugs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XqyGoE2Q4Y

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
did any of your guys schools have a "Freddy Krueger hole"?

I guess this is more elementary school but a friend and I went to completely different schools in completely different neighborhoods, but both schools had a hole somewhere where all the kids said Freddy Krueger lived, and asking around we found out it's not an isolated coincidence, it happened... not a lot a lot but more often than makes any sense considering Freddy Krueger did not live in a hole

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Bronze Fonz posted:

I'd always wear these temporary dragon, skull and other super-cool-to-a-kid tatoos in first grade and the teacher didn't want me to give one to a classmate, because there can be drugs and diseases involved with tatoos.

Professor McShitbrains couldn't tell the difference between a needle and a dollarstore sticker. You don't get an acid tab for a dollar at least not around here.

Professor McShitbrains and all those parents out there who ever said "you know how many people are starving that would want that?" to get you to finish dinner rather than throw away food both had something in common.

Neither of them had the time or inclination to expect you to understand the real reason they wanted you to do something, they just wanted you to shut the gently caress up and do it.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Red Dye #2, a common food additive, was linked to cancer in the early 1970s and banned shortly after. Red M&Ms went out of production around 1976. They never actually contained red dye #2, but the company decided not to continue production due to the perception.

However, in my school, the rumor was that the dye in red M&Ms acted like Spanish Fly for girls, and therefore the company stopped production to help save the morality of the nation. The rumor also stated, depending on who was telling the story, that you needed either 5 or 10 of them to work, so it was hard to get enough together for them to do the job. (The rumor also contained the bit that the company still made red M&Ms, they just didn't distribute them.)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
We heard a rumor that the D.A.R.E. officer from our 6th grade year had been fired for drug use. And uh. I am like 90% sure he got fired for that very thing but after the legend had started spreading. So, good job, Central Illinois urban legend creators

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
When I was in middle school, I was dating the younger sister of a dude who brought a rifle into the high school (which was right next to the middle school) and proceeded to pull out the rifle and just sit with it in one of the stairwells. The real story was that their parents were alcoholics who barely paid attention to their kids so the dude brought the rifle to school as a cry for attention. This being high/middle school though there were multiple stories about what his intentions actually were. He didn't have any ammunition with him though but that kind of information got drowned out by stories that were more exciting than the truth

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Gwen Stefani, Jewell, Alanis Morisette, Fiona Apple and others all had to have gallons of semen pumped from their stomachs

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Chief McHeath posted:

Marilyn Manson had two ribs removed so he could suck his own dick.
:laffo: I remember this one.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Gwen Stefani, Jewell, Alanis Morisette, Fiona Apple and others all had to have gallons of semen pumped from their stomachs
In the 80s we said this about the New Kids on the Block.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
also yeah the marylin mason suck he own dick thing was a national phenomenon in the late 90's/early 2000's

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Genesplicer posted:

Red Dye #2, a common food additive, was linked to cancer in the early 1970s and banned shortly after. Red M&Ms went out of production around 1976. They never actually contained red dye #2, but the company decided not to continue production due to the perception.

However, in my school, the rumor was that the dye in red M&Ms acted like Spanish Fly for girls, and therefore the company stopped production to help save the morality of the nation. The rumor also stated, depending on who was telling the story, that you needed either 5 or 10 of them to work, so it was hard to get enough together for them to do the job. (The rumor also contained the bit that the company still made red M&Ms, they just didn't distribute them.)

"Oops, accidentally gave you just red ones! What an accident! Haha I hope that doesn't give you any implications." - Gene

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Chief McHeath posted:

"Oops, accidentally gave you just red ones! What an accident! I'm gonna call your parents immediately." - Pete

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Fenrir posted:

:laffo: I remember this one.

In the 80s we said this about the New Kids on the Block.

was also about rod stewart, it goes back a while

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This one only works in Melbourne, and only to olds like me.

But when I was in school, everybody I know said that one of their teachers was secretly a member of TISM.

They were all lying though, because my year 8 Maths teacher Mr. Chesterton was definitely the Bass player.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

This one only works in Melbourne, and only to olds like me.

But when I was in school, everybody I know said that one of their teachers was secretly a member of TISM.

They were all lying though, because my year 8 Maths teacher Mr. Chesterton was definitely the Bass player.

Many posters on this very forum are members of 'tism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

that Nestle used bat's blood in their chocolate instead of milk as a cheaper substitute (?????)